New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

Agreed… keep Carasco as insurance and see what McCann can get you while being taken off the books. A bag of balls?! Take it!

Nail these 7 draft picks and International draft  and do it again in ‘24 and this train is back on the tracks  for ‘25 season with youth sprinkled with some quality vets year after year!

At the end of season some pundits said the most important signing for Mets would be to retain Nimmo. Look I like the player a lot and glad he’s returning he’s not an indispensable player. They had to give him an 8 year 160 plus deal. The 20 per is ok but the 160 is very high. A better deal for the signing team was Benintendi for 5/75. 

26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

At the end of season some pundits said the most important signing for Mets would be to retain Nimmo. Look I like the player a lot and glad he’s returning he’s not an indispensable player. They had to give him an 8 year 160 plus deal. The 20 per is ok but the 160 is very high. A better deal for the signing team was Benintendi for 5/75. 

image.thumb.png.6354a24092ccf832bea0e84c7d5c2035.png

image.thumb.png.43aca8216eb3429aa4c0f052d7ebcc3f.png

On 12/16/2022 at 9:51 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Mets just signed Omar Narvaez to a 1-year deal. Have to assume this means they're looking to move McCann. Maybe for another arm in the pen? Can't imagine they'll get much for him straight up.

McCann was such a disappointment.

Someone’s gotta go id keep Nido over McCann. Even getting rid of one, still a lot jam there with alverez in the mix 

On 12/18/2022 at 5:58 PM, 32EBoozer said:

VxyR8J8Q_x96.jpg

Interesting note from winter ball: Mets prospect Ronny Mauricio played second base on Saturday. Before recently, Mauricio had only played shortstop and now he’s mixed in third base and second.

Was named MVP of winter league. Do you think McNeil may be part of a bigger deal to get a big bat on here? This kid could slide in at 2nd.

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

Was named MVP of winter league. Do you think McNeil may be part of a bigger deal to get a big bat on here? This kid could slide in at 2nd.

Mauricio needs more seasoning. Only a partial season at AA. Mets are slow playing prospects. 

I am unsure how much interest teams would have in McNeil. Only two more years of control and yes bat to ball is excellent, but his power is only mediocre. If I am another club and I am giving up a bat, I want young, controllable players in return. I may be wrong. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, section314 said:

With more power & speed.

I love McNeil but in 2 more season's you either pay him or lose him. I think McNeil will be here for the start of the season. Trade deadline.... Colin Farrell Reaction GIF

• Upvote 1

Mets prospect Ronny Mauricio has been named the LIDOM (Dominican Winter League) MVP. Mauricio led the league in RBIs (31), doubles (15), and was second in home runs (5), stolen bases (11), and OPS (.803). He played shortstop, third base, and second base.

43 k 10 bb in 188 at bats
.287 AVG .335 OBP

8 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

McCann has been traded to Baltimore for a player to be named later. Addition by subtraction.

17 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

As long as the player to be named later isn't James McCann the Mets won this trade.

It could happen!

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/major-leaguers-traded/

These major leaguers were traded for themselves

Here’s one for all you lovers of trivia. In Major League Baseball’s long history, four players have the dubious distinction of having been traded for themselves. Can you name all four?

Chiti for Chiti

The first was Harry Chiti. An Illinois native, Chiti attended Northwestern High School in Detroit, and was signed by the Chicago Cubs as an amateur free agent in 1950. He wasn’t much of a hitter, but was a capable backstop with an uncanny talent for catching a knuckleball. Chiti’s career was interrupted by two years in the Korean War. He also spent time with the Kansas City Athletics, before the Detroit Tigers purchased him in July of 1960. Chiti hit .155 in his short stay in the Motor City, and was eventually dealt to the Baltimore Orioles for Frank House in July of 1961.

Chiti began the 1962 season with the Cleveland Indians. Before he ever played a game for them, however, he was traded to the expansion New York Mets on April 26, for a player to be named later. Chiti fit in perfectly with the Mets, hitting .195 with no RBIs in 15 games for one of the worst teams ever. Finally, his manager Casey Stengel had seen enough. The Mets shipped Chiti back to Cleveland, essentially completing the deal by which he’d been acquired. Chiti thus became the first player in the history of the game to be traded for himself. The Indians sent Chiti to the minor leagues, where he finished out his career. Since then, nobody has let him forget the trade. “I sure do keep hearing about it,” he said later in life, when he was a sheriff’s deputy.

Catcher bounces back to the Yankees

It wasn’t until 1980 that we find the second player ever to be traded for himself. Once again, it was a catcher. Brad Gulden played for six teams in his seven years in the big leagues, finishing with an even .200 batting average. In November, the New York Yankees traded him, along with $100,000, to the Seattle Mariners for Larry Milbourne and a player to be named later. Gulden spent on uninspiring season in the Emerald City, and then was sent back to the Yankees in May of 1981 to complete the trade. After his retirement, Gulden came to appreciate his obscure claim to fame. “If somebody remembers you twenty years after you’ve been out of the game, that’s great.”

Noles helped Tigers down stretch in ’87, went back to Cubs after

Dickie Noles pitched eleven years in the big leagues, for six teams, winning 36 and losing 53. On September 22, 1987, the Chicago Cubs traded Noles to the Detroit Tigers, again for the ubiquitous “player to be named later.” The Tigers were in the middle of a division race with the Toronto Blue Jays, and looking for some bullpen help. Noles got into four games with Detroit, saving two, with a 4.50 ERA. But the Tigers were unimpressed, and the two teams were unable to agree on who the Cubs should receive in exchange. After the season, Noles was returned to sender. Early in his career, Noles struggled with alcohol, but he claims to have been sober since 1983. He is now a motivational speaker and substance-abuse counselor.

McDonald: Return to sender

The most recent player to be traded for himself was also a Tiger. John McDonald began his career in 1999 with Cleveland. In 2014, he was still suiting up for his eighth major league team. McDonald is a lifetime .273 hitter who’s never had more than 327 at-bats in a season. His longevity is mainly due to his being able to play just about any position he’s asked to. On July 22, 2005, the Tigers acquired him from Toronto for (you guessed it) a player to be named later. In 31 games for Detroit, McDonald played shortstop, second base, and third base, and hit .260. In November of 2005, the Tigers returned McDonald to the Jays “for cash considerations.” McDonald joked that it wasn’t much better than being traded for a bag of balls, but that, in hindsight, the Blue Jays definitely got a fair return.

A Cautionary Tale: Don’t mess with Alonso!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35265339/mlb-free-agency-red-sox-xander-bogaerts-rafael-devers

CHAIM BLOOM HAS been reliving the negotiations with Xander Bogaerts in his head.

"There are a couple of regrets," the chief baseball officer of the Boston Red Sox told ESPN a week after Bogaerts signed with the San Diego Padres.

When Bogaerts landed an 11-year, $280 million deal this month, the question among baseball executives and agents wasn't whether Boston should have matched San Diego to re-sign its star shortstop, but why Bogaerts even got to free agency in the first place.

When Bloom signed Trevor Story to a six-year, $140 million contract before spring training last year, Bogaerts felt hopeful that an extension on his own contract might follow. One source close to Bogaerts said he would have seriously considered an extension similar to Story's deal. Instead, the Red Sox offered Bogaerts an additional year and $30 million on top of the three years and $60 million left on his deal. For a player who helped bring championships to Boston in 2013 and 2018 and had grown into the team's de facto captain, the offer felt like "a slap" according to a source close to Bogaerts.

Bloom and the Red Sox did not want to sign Bogaerts, who would turn 30 before the end of the season, to a contract that would take him into his late 30s and early 40s. But then Bogaerts posted the best season of his career in 2022 by bWAR -- his 5.7 the best among all shortstops in baseball -- while hitting .307/.377/.456 with 15 homers in 150 games. And when Trea Turner (4.9 bWAR in 2022) signed an 11-year, $300 million deal with the Philadelphia Phillies, the market for shortstops ballooned. Overnight, the price for Bogaerts doubled -- and in the end, for what felt like the dozenth time this offseason, the Red Sox were outbid on a player they were pursuing, this one a beloved homegrown star.

Even with the signings of Masataka Yoshida and Justin Turner so far this offseason, two-last place finishes in three years (a span that also includes one American League Championship Series appearance) have elicited questions from fans who want answers not only about the team's plan to win, but how a front office that preaches building around in-house talent could let go of two of the most accomplished homegrown stars in franchise history -- Bogaerts and Mookie Betts, whom Bloom traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2020.

But when asked if there was anything in particular he regrets about the handling of Bogaerts, Bloom declined to share.

"I don't want to elaborate," Bloom said. "It's more private. I don't want to get into it."

RED SOX PRESIDENT Sam Kennedy understands why fans are questioning the ownership group's commitment to winning. As someone who grew up a few subway stops from Fenway Park, Kennedy constantly hears from his parents and the friends of his children about the team's struggles in 2022.

"You want that passion," Kennedy said. "You want the talk radio lines lit up."

Since John Henry led Fenway Sports Group (then known as New England Sports Ventures) in 2001 to buy the Red Sox, the investment firm has grown into an international sports conglomerate that now owns Liverpool FC in the Premier League and the Pittsburgh Penguins of the NHL, with reports indicating Henry's potential interest in bidding for the Washington Commanders, in addition to FSG partner LeBron James publicly indicating he wants an NBA team in Las Vegas. Kennedy said FSG targets sports teams tied to communities with deep emotional investments in their franchises -- and that they spend to win.

But after missing out on Bogaerts, and finishing in second place in many other free agency sweepstakes, Red Sox fans are questioning the owners' commitment to the team. In truth, those frustrations go all the way back to David Ortiz, who went year-to-year with the Red Sox during the last seasons of his career, and Jon Lester, who received a below-market extension offer in 2014 before being traded to the Oakland A's.

Four years after trading Lester, Boston would win a World Series in 2018 after signing David Price to a seven-year, $217 million contract, trading a haul of top prospects for Chris Sale and Craig Kimbrel and locking up J.D. Martinez to a five-year, $110 million contract. And that, Kennedy believes, is the real difference in the fans' responses to the departures of Betts and Bogaerts: the team's last-place finish in the AL East in 2022.

"It gets frustrating and irritating when you hear [questions] about your commitment to winning," Kennedy said. "All of our decisions we make are geared towards trying to win a World Series championship. We don't get those questions when we're winning."

After their last World Series win, former president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski spent big to keep Sale, Martinez and Eovaldi, pushing Boston over the luxury tax threshold. When Betts then asked for a contract valued at $400 million, the Red Sox were unwilling to commit that amount of money, according to multiple league sources. Betts made it clear that he wanted to stay in Boston -- he just would not give the team a hometown discount.

The ownership group fired Dombrowski before the end of the 2019 season, less than a year after winning the World Series, and mandated the team cut salary in order to reset the luxury tax penalties. In came Bloom -- whom Boston hired from the Tampa Bay Rays -- with a vision of creating a Dodgers-style of sustained success, spending big money on star players while consistently developing top prospects to fill out the lineup.

According to multiple sources, Boston's ownership group did not mandate that Bloom trade Betts to get under the luxury tax. But that is what Bloom ultimately decided to do, with an eye toward increasing the Red Sox's options in the future. The team traded Betts and Price to Los Angeles for Alex Verdugo, Jeter Downs and Connor Wong. And Betts eventually signed a 12-year, $365 million contract with the Dodgers -- a deal he told ESPN in August that he would have accepted in Boston.

Just last week, the Red Sox designated Downs for assignment, admitting defeat on the prospect centerpiece of the Betts deal.

"Have we made wrong decisions in the past? Lots of them," Kennedy said. "You can't sit around regretting mistakes of the past. That's not a good recipe. We respect Mookie and it's a hard decision, but we've moved on."

But for fans who were told that trading Betts was to create financial flexibility for the future, watching the team get outbid on Bogaerts was the last straw.

With Bogaerts' production exceeding the team-friendly extension he signed in 2019, the All-Star shortstop planned to exercise the opt-out in his contract after the 2022 season, but he had hoped to play the rest of his career in Boston. He privately expressed to those close to him that he would be willing to eventually move to second or third base if necessary, but he was determined not to accept another team-friendly contract. Like Betts before him, Bogaerts wanted a deal more in line with his perceived value across the sport.

On last season's Opening Day, Bogaerts expressed his disappointment in not getting an extension done with the Red Sox, and he played out the season knowing he would be a free agent at the end of it.

Bogaerts excelled in 2022, providing one of the few bright spots for a Red Sox team that finished 78-84 and at the bottom of an extremely competitive division. By the end of the season, both Bloom and Kennedy had publicly said signing Bogaerts was their top priority.

Before signing his first extension, Bogaerts told his agent, Scott Boras, that he wanted to stay in Boston. This time, though, he expressed a desire to explore free agency.

I understand myself better," Bogaerts told Boras. "I have more of a view of free agency. I want to look into it and see what's available for me. I want to win, and I want to win now."

San Diego significantly outbid Boston, and at Bogaerts' introductory press conference on Dec. 9, he thanked the Padres for being "very straightforward" with him during negotiations.

Boras said Boston's unwillingness to match the offer from the Padres stemmed from the organization's evaluation of Bogaerts.

"I can only say that the market for Xander was very different from what their models said," Boras told ESPN. "But that's happened before."

Executives around the sport see the same pattern emerging with Red Sox star third baseman Rafael Devers, who will be 26 at the start of the 2023 season, his last before he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2024. According to multiple league sources, the Red Sox and Devers are "galaxies apart" in their contract negotiations. The current expectation from Devers and his camp is that the third baseman will be a free agent at the end of 2023, given the current state of contract talks.

Bloom said Boston will make every effort to keep Devers.

"We will probably, I think, go beyond reason to try to get this done," Bloom said. "Hopefully we can get this done. There are always going to be limitations, like people can just put something plain out of reach. Some people love to bet on themselves and I hope he hits 63 homers if he does that."

WHILE BOSTON DIDN'T break the bank to sign Bogaerts, the team has given out some large contracts this offseason, signing Japanese outfielder Yoshida to a five-year, $90 million contract while adding Kenley Jansen, Joely Rodriguez and Chris Martin to the bullpen. On Sunday night, the Red Sox also added Turner, a 38-year-old third baseman, on a two-year, $22 million deal. Bloom said the team aimed to add seven to nine players this offseason, and the Red Sox are continuing to explore trades. Additionally, the team is trying to sign players to contract extensions before they hit arbitration, similar to the four-year, $18.75 million contract they gave Garrett Whitlock in April.

If Kennedy is right, and a change in the team's on-field fortunes will help the fan perception, Boston will need many things to go right that did not in 2022. Ace Chris Sale and center fielder Enrique Hernandez will need to stay healthy. Yoshida will need to produce immediately. Story will need to be more consistent at the plate. The Red Sox will need more contributions from players like Verdugo and Triston Casas, while the rotation will need to lean on Nick Pivetta, Whitlock, Tanner Houck, Brayan Belloand James Paxton, unless Boston adds another starting pitcher. The Red Sox will need to replace the offensive production of Bogaerts in the lineup and his clubhouse presence as a player who spoke both Spanish and English.

As the team builds the roster for 2023, some within the Red Sox front office have questioned Bloom's decision-making process, team sources told ESPN. One front-office official said Bloom's deliberate process toward making moves -- asking many people for their input before making a decision -- can put the Red Sox in a position to fall behind, reacting to other teams versus setting the market.

"I think we have a culture where people can and do express directly to me when they disagree with something," Bloom said. "We have a lot of people in the loop on transactions that we make and we have a lot of really good debate. We have a place where people can share their opinion and have it be heard.

Boras said during the negotiations on both Bogaerts and Yoshida that Bloom was "forthright and prepared."

"Chaim has very defined structure and models that he does for player evaluation," Boras said.

Executives from other teams question if Bloom can be decisive enough to make big moves to satisfy a rabid, impatient fan base, and whether the approach he built in Tampa will be aggressive enough for a market like Boston.

"I'm not sure how to respond to that," Bloom said. "I certainly think we've made some large commitments in the time I've been here. For people who would've liked to have seen more, that's their right. I think a lot of circumstances under which I joined the organization really precluded that for a period of time. I would argue we would've been worse off certainly prior to 2021 had we listened to people who wanted to see us make a splash instead of building a good baseball team."

Boras said Bloom's aggressiveness varied between Bogaerts and Yoshida.

"For Yoshida, they were very aggressive," Boras said. "With Xander, they certainly did not meet the standards of what we expected them to do."

Bloom hears the criticism from the fans, too. When asked about his job status, though, Bloom did not entertain the speculation, saying, "I don't really worry about that."

The pressure is on Boston to succeed, but both Bloom and Kennedy know one thing can change the minds of Red Sox fans and earn back their trust: winning.

"There was a lot of talk about our spending in 2022, there was not a lot of talk about our spending in 2021, which was about the same," Kennedy said. "I think it goes with the wind. If you make the postseason, you're not going to hear a lot about the spending. If we don't win, it's going to be we need to spend, we need to fix things, we need to get better. Winning solves everything."

So, am I the only Met fan here who is kind of meh on all these big name signings.  I am sure I will get excited once the season rolls around, but building a team like this, by just outbidding everyone else, turns me off a bit.  I can't fully explain, but I heard the Verlander news and then the Correa news I was like, who cares.   

The road to sustained success is through the farm system, not free agency.  Win games, beat the Braves, and then I will get excited.  But right now, we have cornered the market on 40-year old pitchers and now we have two shortstops -- I know one will play 3rd base.  But, meh.

There is a reason why my wife refers to me as Scrooge or Grinch at this time of year.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

So, am I the only Met fan here who is kind of meh on all these big name signings.  I am sure I will get excited once the season rolls around, but building a team like this, by just outbidding everyone else, turns me off a bit.  I can't fully explain, but I heard the Verlander news and then the Correa news I was like, who cares.   

The road to sustained success is through the farm system, not free agency.  Win games, beat the Braves, and then I will get excited.  But right now, we have cornered the market on 40-year old pitchers and now we have two shortstops -- I know one will play 3rd base.  But, meh.

There is a reason why my wife refers to me as Scrooge or Grinch at this time of year.

They are doing exactly this though. None of the acquisitions were done by trades, they have several stud prospects at the top of their system and a ton of draft picks. They built a contender while sacrificing no longer term potential for the farm system. Would you rather they just sit back and suck while they replenish everything?

It's also worth noting that the Mets have 3 prospects in the top 50 and 4 in the top 100. That's pretty good. If there is anything to really harp on it's the lack of pitching, but I think it's pretty obvious that the goal of the Max, Quintana, and Verlander contracts was to buy themselves some time to solve that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They are doing exactly this though. None of the acquisitions were done by trades, they have several stud prospects at the top of their system and a ton of draft picks. They built a contender while sacrificing no longer term potential for the farm system. Would you rather they just sit back and suck while they replenish everything?

I get that.  But I just find it hard to get excited about an offseason of spending.  Its not my money, so I should not care, but I am just not feeling excitement the way other Met fans are right now.

I am sure I will feel differently when the season starts, but not right now.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

While I agree it is more enjoyable rooting for “homegrown “ talent, perhaps the new regime isn’t sold on Ramirez and Vientos. In that case there’s only 1 path for a win now owner…. FA

Hoping that Baty, Mauricio, Ramirez can fill LF/RF in the next couple of years.

My question is what do we do with C Parada and SS Jett Williams? Are they considering letting Alonso and McNeil walk? I personally love these 2 players.

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

While I agree it is more enjoyable rooting for “homegrown “ talent, perhaps the new regime isn’t sold on Ramirez and Vientos. In that case there’s only 1 path for a win now owner…. FA

Hoping that Baty, Mauricio, Ramirez can fill LF/RF in the next couple of years.

My question is what do we do with C Parada and SS Jett Williams? Are they considering letting Alonso and McNeil walk? I personally love these 2 players.

They have so much money coming off the books in the next few years and given the fact that they paid Nimmo I find it hard to believe that they won't pay Alonso and McNeil. My guess is they will really give Alvarez his shot this year and then reassess with Parada. But, who knows? He's an OK catcher at best and the DH opens up so many possibilities for NL teams now. 

So far as guys like Mauricio and Williams, who cares? Making long-term decisions about prospects that are still a year or two away is a recipe for disaster and the Mets are so littered with historical examples of this, Milledge...etc. Remember when we were all pissed off that they gave up Dilson Herrera for Jay Bruce? And nobody even wants Gavin Cecchini anymore.

If they turn out to be great, that seems like a good problem to have. 

• Upvote 1

Best infield in all baseball? Braves vs. Mets

image.jpeg.c9dd7497fe18c243413e8dbee98493a3.jpeg

We need our new catcher and DH to ball

1. Ozzie Albies, 2B If healthy dynamic
  2. Matt Olson, 1B        34/103
  3. Austin Riley, 3B.      38/93
  4. Sean Murphy, C.      18/66 Oak
  5. Vaughn Grissom SS    21 years old
    AB AVG HR RBI SB OPS
    141 .291 5 18 5 .793

6.  Travis d’Arnold DH  18/60

Edited by 32EBoozer

Mets are paying 75% of McCann’s salary so why get rid of him. The guy they signed doesn’t have good offensive numbers but better than McCann. The strangest news and I mean pretty wild is hold up by Mets on Correa contract for the same reasons Giants deal fell threw a leg prob from years ago. I don’t know why they signed him they have a 300 million shortstop a good player in Escobar a very good prospect in Baty and the guy is a lifetime .279 hitter. Looks like Boras trying to push through one of his clients not the first time he might have tried to hide an injury. One story I read said Mets still want to sign him but change contract via years/salary or language giving them protection if that injury flares. 

43 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Mets are paying 75% of McCann’s salary so why get rid of him. The guy they signed doesn’t have good offensive numbers but better than McCann. The strangest news and I mean pretty wild is hold up by Mets on Correa contract for the same reasons Giants deal fell threw a leg prob from years ago. I don’t know why they signed him they have a 300 million shortstop a good player in Escobar a very good prospect in Baty and the guy is a lifetime .279 hitter. Looks like Boras trying to push through one of his clients not the first time he might have tried to hide an injury. One story I read said Mets still want to sign him but change contract via years/salary or language giving them protection if that injury flares. 

Hold the phone on Correa

https://metsmerizedonline.com/rosenthal-mets-concerned-with-correa-physical/

• Upvote 1

In other depressing news! The Braves have almost their entire starting lineup signed thru 2028 with very reasonable contracts.

The Atlanta Braves have signed standout catcher Sean Murphy to a six-year, $73 million contract, the team announced Tuesday night.

The deal ties Murphy, 28, to Atlanta through the 2028 season. It includes a $15 million club option with no buyout for 2029.

Murphy was acquired earlier this month as part of a three-way trade with the Oakland Athletics and Milwaukee Brewers that saw nine players switch teams overall.

He hit .250/.332/.426 with 18 home runs and played Gold Glove-caliber defense last season for Oakland, and was one of the hottest names on the trade mark before Atlanta pulled off the deal two weeks ago.

Before signing the new contract, Murphy was set to reach arbitration for the first time this season and had three years to go until he reached free agency. He'll now make $4 million in 2023, $9 million in 2024 and $15 million annually from 2025 to 2028. He also agreed to donate 1% of his annual salary to the Atlanta Braves Foundation.

Atlanta has previously signed outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. and second baseman Ozzie Albies to similar pacts, ensuring that seven core players are under contract for at least three more seasons -- and often much longer -- with club options that could extend the deals even more.