New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

On 12/24/2022 at 4:41 PM, 32EBoozer said:

He failed the physical on the Giants, which is why the Mets were able to get him.   Now they have concerns as well.

You may still get him, but on a shorter deal, which actually works in your favor.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

He failed the physical on the Giants, which is why the Mets were able to get him.   Now they have concerns as well.

You may still get him, but on a shorter deal, which actually works in your favor.

All depends on whether Boras has other interested teams. Even if he doesn’t, he’s going to tell Cohen he does have other teams. I’d love to see that contract come down to 8 years and $230m

On 12/28/2022 at 6:30 AM, 32EBoozer said:

In other depressing news! The Braves have almost their entire starting lineup signed thru 2028 with very reasonable contracts.

The Atlanta Braves have signed standout catcher Sean Murphy to a six-year, $73 million contract, the team announced Tuesday night.

The deal ties Murphy, 28, to Atlanta through the 2028 season. It includes a $15 million club option with no buyout for 2029.

Murphy was acquired earlier this month as part of a three-way trade with the Oakland Athletics and Milwaukee Brewers that saw nine players switch teams overall.

He hit .250/.332/.426 with 18 home runs and played Gold Glove-caliber defense last season for Oakland, and was one of the hottest names on the trade mark before Atlanta pulled off the deal two weeks ago.

Before signing the new contract, Murphy was set to reach arbitration for the first time this season and had three years to go until he reached free agency. He'll now make $4 million in 2023, $9 million in 2024 and $15 million annually from 2025 to 2028. He also agreed to donate 1% of his annual salary to the Atlanta Braves Foundation.

Atlanta has previously signed outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. and second baseman Ozzie Albies to similar pacts, ensuring that seven core players are under contract for at least three more seasons -- and often much longer -- with club options that could extend the deals even more.

Eh, who knows. I remember when the Cubs did the same thing. Franchises can flip on a dime. I'm more worried about the Phillies and Padres long term. 

54 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Eh, who knows. I remember when the Cubs did the same thing. Franchises can flip on a dime. I'm more worried about the Phillies and Padres long term. 

This team set for the next 5-7 years of “In their Prime” production.

Harris(21) ROTY, Strider(23)-3rd place in ROTY voting, Fried (28) very good arm, Riley(25), Acuna(21), Albies(22), Olson(27), Murphy(28).

Phillies are getting long in the tooth. Most of their big name players close to or over 30 and signed until they’re 40. Breves players will be late 20’s or early 30’s when contracts expire

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

This team set for the next 5-7 years of “In their Prime” production.

Harris(21) ROTY, Strider(23)-3rd place in ROTY voting, Fried (28) very good arm, Riley(25), Acuna(21), Albies(22), Olson(27), Murphy(28).

Phillies are getting long in the tooth. Most of their big name players close to or over 30 and signed until they’re 40. Breves players will be late 20’s or early 30’s when contracts expire

Bah, you've just described like 9-10 teams that have existed over the last few decades and most can't sustain it. The long haul is a difficult thing to achieve. Players fall off, get hurt...etc. Regular season is such a slog too, it's hard to do it with the same team over and over every year. 

36 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bah, you've just described like 9-10 teams that have existed over the last few decades and most can't sustain it. The long haul is a difficult thing to achieve. Players fall off, get hurt...etc. Regular season is such a slog too, it's hard to do it with the same team over and over every year. 

I see a minimum of 5 more 90+ win seasons for the Braves. I see 3 more 90+ wins for the Mets (w/Correa & 25 starts from Justin & Max) and Phillies(pitching ?)

Divisional games will be brutal next year!  If you go .500 or above you probably take the Division. 
image.thumb.png.07086e8bb403714ee51da5dcbb44a37b.png

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I see a minimum of 5 more 90+ win seasons for the Braves. I see 3 more 90+ wins for the Mets (w/Correa & 25 starts from Justin & Max) and Phillies(pitching ?)

Divisional games will be brutal next year!  If you go .500 or above you probably take the Division. 
image.thumb.png.07086e8bb403714ee51da5dcbb44a37b.png

Much more balanced schedule next year. Divisions do not be up on each other as much.

Thanks for the info. Considering how strong NL East is, this works to our divisional benefit for WC birth.

Well the Braves got the better of these “natural rival “ matchups.

• Angels-Dodgers
  • Astros-Rockies
  • Athletics-Giants
  • Blue Jays-Phillies
  • Guardians-Reds
  • Mariners-Padres
  • Orioles-Nationals
  • Rangers-Diamondbacks
  • Rays-Marlins
  • Red Sox-Braves
  • Royals-Cardinals
  • Tigers-Pirates
  • Twins-Brewers
  • White Sox-Cubs
  • Yankees-Mets

I’d be really curious to see what the wording of Korea’s contract with the Mets would have been versus the amount of money being guaranteed. How do you go from 12/ $315million to 6/ $200 million?

Hoping to hear from Cohen

Update: Jon Heyman is reporting that the Mets guaranteed six years at 157.5 million, and the following six would be only ‘conditionally guaranteed.’

Edited by 32EBoozer

Why not just pay Pete with some of the money that was going to go to Correa? Seems like the logical play. They could buy out his last two years of arbitration so if they did it now it would save a bit of money. Last thing they want to have happen is what the Yankees did with Judge. The longer they wait the riskier this gets.

• Upvote 3

https://metsmerizedonline.com/the-mets-2023-international-free-agency-tracker/

International free agency begins on Jan. 15, but this process plays out much like NBA free agency. Teams have been working to sign players, and as soon as the clock strikes midnight, we are going to see many of the top players available officially agree to the deals already negotiated.

As noted by Baseball America, the New York Mets have $5.284 million in bonus pool money to offer to international free agents. If a player is offered a bonus of $10,000 or less, that amount is exempt from the bonus pool.

As we have seen, the Mets have had recent success in international free agency. Currently, Francisco Álvarez is considered the top prospect in all of baseball. Back in 2018, he was given a $2.7 million bonus. That bonus amount surpassed the $2.1 million the Mets gave Ronny Mauricio, who was just named the LIDOM MVP.

The Mets have been active in the international free agency market. Currently, they have been linked to several of the top players available and appear to sign the following once free agency officially opens:

Daiverson Gutierrez, C

Ht: 6’0″     Wt: 180 lb.
B/T: R/R   Age: 9/11/05 (17)
Rankings: 20 (BA), 27 (MLB)
Bonus: $1.9 million

Analysis (MLB Pipeline?“The teenager can hit, and his above-average power potential is noteworthy. Add that he plays a premium position, and it’s no surprise scouts rave about him. His power has developed in the last year, and it’s not hard to envision him hitting in the middle of the order and driving in runs. His power has drawn comparisons to Francisco Álvarez at the same age.”

Cristopher Larez, SS

Ht: 6’1″     Wt: 185 lb.
B/T: R/R   Age: 1/10/06 (17)
Rankings: 25 (BA), 43 (MLB)
Bonus: $1.5 million

Analysis (BA): He’s a mature hitter for his age, showing good contact skills against live pitching with the strength to drive the ball deep to right-center field over to his pull side and occasional home run power that could develop into average raw power. His speed and arm strength are both above-average tools.

Anthony Baptist, OF

Ht: 5’10”     Wt: 150 lb.
B/T:L/L   Age: 10/17/05 (17)
Rankings: 29 (MLB)
Bonus: $1.1 million

Analysis (BA): “One of the fastest players in the class, Baptist is also one of the most exciting. He’s expected to start in center field and stay at the position as he develops, primarily because of his speed, but also because he has the potential to be an above-average defender.”

The Mets are also signing 19-year-old Cuban left-hander Daviel Hurtado. Fastball has been up to 95 mph and has a big curve.

With Gutierrez, Larez, and Baptist, the Mets are expected to sign three of the top 50 prospects available. In addition to these prospects, the Mets are anticipated to sign the following players:

• C Henry Pizani
  • INF Wuilder Cumare
  • OF Alex Acosta
  • Dereck Rodrigues
  • Alejandro Ramirez
  • INF Branny de Olio
  • OF Heriberto Rincon
  • OF Reniel Diaz

Check back with MMO on these and other potential signings.

• Upvote 1

So, as thing’s currently stand, the Mets have:

Catcher Francisco Alvarez (21) knocking at the doors of the Opening Day 40 man roster.

Catcher Kevin Parada (21), an advanced college player, drafted #1 last year 

Catcher Daiverson Gutierrez (17), signed to a $1.9 mil contract. Very similar profile as Alvarez.

Obviously one of these 3 is getting traded this season. I would imagine Parada,since he is a mature player having played college ball, to obtain Ohtani at the trade deadline… along with several other players. I’ll be pissed if they traded Alvarez!

We have Nido & Narvarez this season. Don’t understand the drafting & signing of all these catchers unless with the intent of making a big trade for Ohtani or Soto.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

So, as thing’s currently stand, the Mets have:

Catcher Francisco Alvarez (21) knocking at the doors of the Opening Day 40 man roster.

Catcher Kevin Parada (21), an advanced college player, drafted #1 last year 

Catcher Daiverson Gutierrez (17), signed to a $1.9 mil contract. Very similar profile as Alvarez.

Obviously one of these 3 is getting traded this season. I would imagine Parada,since he is a mature player having played college ball, to obtain Ohtani at the trade deadline… along with several other players. I’ll be pissed if they traded Alvarez!

We have Nido & Narvarez this season. Don’t understand the drafting & signing of all these catchers unless with the intent of making a big trade for Ohtani or Soto.

Parada may very well be positioned as a future corner outfielder. His receiving schools and arm are only "average", he has "good speed for a catcher", so maybe a corner spot is in his future. 

For me, it was interesting that the Mets came to agreement with all arbitration eligible players EXCEPT Jeff Mcneil. Might mean nothing and maybe this leads them to hammering out a long term agreement. They were "only" $1.5m apart, which is pocket change for Cohen.

BUT, maybe Mcneil is NOT part of the Mets future. Who knows?

Never a problem to have too many good players in a pipeline.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Parada may very well be positioned as a future corner outfielder. His receiving schools and arm are only "average", he has "good speed for a catcher", so maybe a corner spot is in his future. 

For me, it was interesting that the Mets came to agreement with all arbitration eligible players EXCEPT Jeff Mcneil. Might mean nothing and maybe this leads them to hammering out a long term agreement. They were "only" $1.5m apart, which is pocket change for Cohen.

Still think McNeil could be a trade asset.Mauricio has to be close. Platoon with Guillorme?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Still think McNeil could be a trade asset.Mauricio has to be close. Platoon with Guillorme?

I would hate to see McNeil go but I understand that we’re starting to see our farm system pushing upward. SS, CF, C, 3rd & 1st are set long term. Can’t have 4 players making $20m+ along with 3 pitchers making $40m+ 

McNeill could bring back a good pitching prospect if he’s signed to a reasonable 4 year deal if Mauricio keeps banging. In the meantime, enjoy JM’s contributions to this team. He’s been a great addition to our team 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I would hate to see McNeil go but I understand that we’re starting to see our farm system pushing upward. SS, CF, C, 3rd & 1st are set long term. Can’t have 4 players making $20m+ along with 3 pitchers making $40m+ 

McNeill could bring back a good pitching prospect if he’s signed to a reasonable 4 year deal if Mauricio keeps banging. In the meantime, enjoy JM’s contributions to this team. He’s been a great addition to our team 

Good post. I was looking more on the business side….He will never have more value than he does now.

Original Met Frank Thomas dead at 93. RIP Frank!

Frank Thomas homered for the Mets in their first two homes, the Polo Grounds and Shea Stadium, and joked last year upon accepting an invite to Old-Timers’ Day that his goal was to add Citi Field to the list.

The former outfielder, first baseman and third baseman — an “Original Met” from the franchise’s inception — died Monday, the team announced. Thomas was 93 and living in an assisted care facility in Pittsburgh.

Traded from the Milwaukee Braves in November 1961, the Niagara Falls, Ontario, native hit 34 homers for the Mets in their inaugural 1962 season. That mark stood as a club record until 1975, when Dave Kingman hit 36 homers.

• Upvote 2

On 1/16/2023 at 10:51 AM, Scott Dierking said:

You have to figure he's going to be a big piece of any offer for Ohtani.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Along with a few other players. Thankfully Ohtani's Agent is NOT Boras!!

If you look at what the Nats got for Soto, figure for Ohtani it'll be McNeil and at least two top prospects, (Baty and Mauricio or Parada?), a mid-level guy, and maybe a pitcher (Peterson?). I doubt they would part with Francisco Alvarez but who knows. 

They may demand 3 top prospects and if the Mets are making a run they will have to do it. They can't pass on that guy.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

If you look at what the Nats got for Soto, figure for Ohtani it'll be McNeil and at least two top prospects, (Baty and Mauricio or Parada?), a mid-level guy, and maybe a pitcher (Peterson?). I doubt they would part with Francisco Alvarez but who knows. 

They may demand 3 top prospects and if the Mets are making a run they will have to do it. They can't pass on that guy.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/18/mets-signing-outfielder-tommy-pham-to-6-million-contract/

The Mets have their fourth outfielder and occasional DH — and now their fantasy football league could get a lot more interesting.

The team is finalizing a deal with free-agent outfielder Tommy Pham for one year and $6 million on Wednesday, The Post’s Jon Heyman reported.

And their search for left-handed bullpen help is ongoing, with Andrew Chafin and ex-Yankee Zack Britton — who played for Buck Showalter in Baltimore — among the possibilities.

The 34-year-old Pham was one of just a few outfielders remaining on the free-agent market after Adam Duvall agreed to a one-year, $7 million deal with the Red Sox.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:14 PM, section314 said:

Good post. I was looking more on the business side….He will never have more value than he does now.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:51 AM, Scott Dierking said:

On 1/14/2023 at 3:56 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

CF46D5AC-253C-439E-967F-3378A826B46A.jpeg