Jump to content

New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)


Scott Dierking

Recommended Posts

What is it with the Mets & signing Catchers?! Alvarez, Parada, Nido, Narvarez & the recent International signing of Guttierez for $1.9m

New York Mets sign catcher to two-year contract: Sources (msn.com)

Catcher Tomas Nido and the New York Mets are in agreement on a two-year, $3.7 million contract, according to sources familiar with the deal. The deal, which covers Nido's remaining arbitration years, pays $1.6 million in 2023 and $2.1 million in 2024 before he becomes a free agent in 2024.

 

The deal includes performance bonuses of $10,000 for 60 games, $20,000 for 70 games, $30,000 for 80 games, $40,000 for 90 games and $50,000 for 100 games.

Nido, 28, had just agreed to a $1.575 million deal to avoid arbitration on Jan. 13, but elected to do a multi-year deal instead. For the Mets, it ensures that their catcher position is solidified in 2023 and 2024, as the team has also signed Omar Narvaez in addition to having baseball's top prospect Francisco Alvarez.

Nido is known primarily for his defense behind the plate and provides a steady presence as No. 2 catcher. He struggles offensively, which limits his overall impact, as he hit only .239/.276/.324 with a .600 OPS, three home runs and 28 RBI last season. In his six seasons, he's hit .220/.257/.323 with a .580 OPS, 13 home runs and 73 RBI.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

New MLB top 100 list for 2023. Alvarez down to #3. And good lord are the Orioles stacked.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/top100/

Ramirez moving into the top 100 is interesting considering how raw he is. No way is that dude sniffing the majors for a few more years. 

Wow.

Orioles, 3 of the top 12 on a team that was over 500 last year.   With getting rid of the unbalanced schedule, I put the O's at 90+ wins this year. 

That doesn't include last year's #1 overall, who they called up.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Wow.

Orioles, 3 of the top 12 on a team that was over 500 last year.   With getting rid of the unbalanced schedule, I put the O's at 90+ wins this year. 

That doesn't include last year's #1 overall, who they called up.

Rest of Mets top 100.    21 Baty.  36 Parada    96 Ramirez.   Mauricio out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well this sucks!

Matthew Allan underwent UCL revision surgery in January

The right-hander had a procedure done that was, in effect, a second Tommy John surgery. The surgery is essentially like having Tommy John, meaning Allan will miss the entire 2023 season.

Matthew Allan underwent UCL revision surgery in January. The procedure is, in effect, a second Tommy John surgery, revising the initial primary surgery. According to an abstract published in Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine, the “mean time between primary reconstruction and revision surgery is approximately 5 years and return to play rates range from 47 to 85%” and “outcomes following revision UCL reconstruction are relatively guarded compared with those of primary UCL reconstruction with the most studies reporting lower return to play rates, decreased workloads compared with pre-injury levels of play, and shorter career longevity following revision surgery.”

  • More Ugh 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well this sucks!

Matthew Allan underwent UCL revision surgery in January

The right-hander had a procedure done that was, in effect, a second Tommy John surgery. The surgery is essentially like having Tommy John, meaning Allan will miss the entire 2023 season.

Matthew Allan underwent UCL revision surgery in January. The procedure is, in effect, a second Tommy John surgery, revising the initial primary surgery. According to an abstract published in Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine, the “mean time between primary reconstruction and revision surgery is approximately 5 years and return to play rates range from 47 to 85%” and “outcomes following revision UCL reconstruction are relatively guarded compared with those of primary UCL reconstruction with the most studies reporting lower return to play rates, decreased workloads compared with pre-injury levels of play, and shorter career longevity following revision surgery.”

Horrible news. On a happier note, great article in today’s NY Post on the very special friendship between Garrett Wilson and Brett Baty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well this sucks!

Matthew Allan underwent UCL revision surgery in January

The right-hander had a procedure done that was, in effect, a second Tommy John surgery. The surgery is essentially like having Tommy John, meaning Allan will miss the entire 2023 season.

Matthew Allan underwent UCL revision surgery in January. The procedure is, in effect, a second Tommy John surgery, revising the initial primary surgery. According to an abstract published in Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine, the “mean time between primary reconstruction and revision surgery is approximately 5 years and return to play rates range from 47 to 85%” and “outcomes following revision UCL reconstruction are relatively guarded compared with those of primary UCL reconstruction with the most studies reporting lower return to play rates, decreased workloads compared with pre-injury levels of play, and shorter career longevity following revision surgery.”

Third elbow surgery in 3 years?  Sadly, he might be toast.  Even if he can come back next year, it'll be like 5 years since he's thrown pitches in a real game, so he'd need at least 1 and probably 2 full seasons to build up his arm/innings.

Maybe try to convert him to a reliever?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, section314 said:

Pete Crow Armstrong one of 3 Cub top 30 non roster guys invited to spring training. He is their #1 according to MLB. Other than the Nolan Ryan trade, this is going to go down as the worst trade in Mets history. Still makes me want to puke.

Felt like that was almost a Cohen thing. Wanted to make a splash his first year, wanted to appease Lindor and thought it could be a special move. Seems like he has learned a lot from that knee jerk reaction, if that was the case.

PCA's defense will definitely play in this league. Will be interesting to see if the bat continues to develop.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Felt like that was almost a Cohen thing. Wanted to make a splash his first year, wanted to appease Lindor and thought it could be a special move. Seems like he has learned a lot from that knee jerk reaction, if that was the case.

PCA's defense will definitely play in this league. Will be interesting to see if the bat continues to develop.

For all of 2022, at various dots and levels, think he hit .312 with 16 HR and 60 RBI. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The power has certainly been a surprise. Just his fielding tools make him a valuable centerfielder alone. If the rest of his game continues to come along, he can be quite the player.

And there's a dearth of good CF's in the sport right now too, which makes him even more valuable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, section314 said:

Could you guys envision this as the starting lineup  in 2024?    C Alvarez 1B Alonso 2B McNeil SS Lindor 3B Mauricio LF Baty CF Nimmo RF Vientos. 

I assume that means you have Marte at DH? But Marte at DH eliminates that arm in the OF. And where you going to put Ohtani?

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, section314 said:

Could you guys envision this as the starting lineup  in 2024?    C Alvarez 1B Alonso 2B McNeil SS Lindor 3B Mauricio LF Baty CF Nimmo RF Vientos. 

I think it's more likely Mauricio plays OF than Baty. And I'm starting to wonder if Vientos will have any one position going forward. I could see them shifting him around a lot like they used to do with McNeil.

That said I don't know with Mauricio. He's only a year away from being able to start a full season in the bigs for a gazillion dollar payroll? That's a tall ask.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...