New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Soooo Edwin Diaz might be out for the year.  He just got hurt celebrating a 5-2 Puerto Rico win in the WBC.

You've gotta be sh-tting me.  The WBC is a complete joke and needs to go.  And of course we take the brunt of the injuries.  I think Lugo got hurt during the WBC a few years back too.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

This is beyond brutal. He is such an elite closer. It definitely impacts things because even if they lock down the 9th with someone else, that is another inning earlier in the game you have to cover.  So sorry to hear about this, especially it being such a freak injury. Terrible.

What a freaking disaster!  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have a high-pressure tournament in pre-freaking-season!

Why the heck all these Mets are playing in this idiotic tournament is beyond me.  Brandon Nimmo withdrew because he didn't want to risk getting hurt after receiving all that money from Steve Cohen.  Diaz got 5 years for $102M and then decided to "have fun" (as Mike Trout described the WBC).  There should be a clause that if these guys get seriously hurt in this thing that their team can void their contract. 

Now we're stuck with Diaz for 5 years (obviously he'll miss this year) and I bet he'll NEVER be the same again.  The icing on the cake would be if Kelenic hits his stride this year.  I really hope he does.  

• Upvote 1

Ohtani threw a 102 MPH pitch in the WBC and he's waiting for a long-term contract (which he might get from the Mets next year).  WTF are these guys thinking?!

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/35871310/shohei-ohtani-pitches-shutout-leads-japan-wbc-semifinal

Pitching before an adoring crowd of 41,723 at the Tokyo Dome, Ohtani threw his fastest pitch since he joined the Los Angeles Angels in 2018, striking out Vinnie Pasquantino on a 102 mph fastball in the second. That topped a 101.4 mph pitch that struck out Houston's Kyle Tucker last Sept. 10.

• More Ugh 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is beyond brutal. He is such an elite closer. It definitely impacts things because even if they lock down the 9th with someone else, that is another inning earlier in the game you have to cover.  So sorry to hear about this, especially it being such a freak injury. Terrible.

Diaz was their MVP last year. Hanging the season on this particular pitching staff only made sense because of him. The NL is absurd this upcoming season and Diaz was the one thing the Mets had that nobody else does. I can't believe he went out this way. I can't believe he actually played in this. I can't believe Cohen didn't absolutely demand that none of these guys play in this thing with all the money he paid everyone. 

In the long history of bizarre heart breaking sh*t to happen with the Mets this is right up there and that's saying a lot.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Very, very small solace, but mlb has insurance on all players for the WBC, and Mets will be compensated for Diaz' entire '23 salary. 

What if he's never the same again though?  We're on the hook for him for the 4 years after that.  It's such a freaking joke.  Amateurs should be playing in this thing.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Unless we're being compensated with Mariano Rivera from1999 who gives a sh*t.

We all should. It will allow Cohen and the Mets to add salary without further penalty based on luxury tax. Again, I said small solace. 
Nice gesture by Cohen, to have a chef, nutritionist and trainer waiting for Diaz at his house after surgery. 

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

We all should. It will allow Cohen and the Mets to add salary without further penalty based on luxury tax. Again, I said small solace. 
Nice gesture by Cohen, to have a chef, nutritionist and trainer waiting for Diaz at his house after surgery. 

Uncle Stevie when he hears about the luxury tax

5cc3d5c8457cef53bf334f7a4c883ddc.jpg

On 3/17/2023 at 10:48 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Very, very small solace, but mlb has insurance on all players for the WBC, and Mets will be compensated for Diaz' entire '23 salary. 

I saw that and I don't think it matters under your current ownership, but do you know if it still impacts them luxury tax wise?

Kind of strange they get his salary back, but still pay the threshold tax on it. Not sure if that is the case, just wondering.

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2023 at 11:41 PM, Maxman said:

I saw that and I don't think it matters under your current ownership, but do you know if it still impacts them luxury tax wise?

Kind of strange they get his salary back, but still pay the threshold tax on it. Not sure if that is the case, just wondering.

Excellent point. The Mets do not get relief of the salary under the tax.

• Upvote 1

Any excitement I had for this season is gone.  It's just so, freaking Metsy for this to happen.  And meanwhile, I'm watching Trae Turner straight raking.  lmfao.  Biggest payroll in baseball, still wont beat the Braves or Phillies.  

Yay!  

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, JiF said:

Any excitement I had for this season is gone.  It's just so, freaking Metsy for this to happen.  And meanwhile, I'm watching Trae Turner straight raking.  lmfao.  Biggest payroll in baseball, still wont beat the Braves or Phillies.  

Yay!  

Dude you can't give up. Tug McGraw, keep the spirit alive. Should be a fun year for the Jets and Mets!

• Upvote 1