New York Mets 2023 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

Team seems stuck in the last two weeks of September.

Coehn was splashy, trading for lindor, signing big vet pitchers etc. Should have just poached all the Cardinal and Braves scouts/executives.

Eppler was such an odd decision. The Angels have been one of the worst franchises the past 15 years.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Team seems stuck in the last two weeks of September.

Coehn was splashy, trading for lindor, signing big vet pitchers etc. Should have just poached all the Cardinal and Braves scouts/executives.

Eppler was such an odd decision. The Angels have been one of the worst franchises the past 15 years.

I don't know why rich owners don't make it their first order of business to hire the best scouts/execs.  I remember thinking that he hired Eppler because he wanted a stopgap for a year before hiring Stearns.  Then I found out this offseason that Stearns is still not available.  No idea what's going on here.

• Upvote 1

This Met team becomes palpably much more watchable with Baty in the line-up regularly. I have to admit, to this point of the season, the Mets appeared a little more boring than usual. I think that it is just because we do not have that many new faces. Verlander should change that on the pitching side, hopefully soon.

Knock on wood here, but the bullpen has held up extremely well thus far. And that with having to put in a lot of innings. Buck manages that unit well also. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

How much is 10k to Max in me dollars? Like 5 bucks?

$23.08.  I did the math (anything to delay working an extra few minutes).   Max is earning $43.33M this year.  $10K is 0.0231%.  Assuming a $100K income, the equivalent fine would be $23.08.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Alvarez is so weird. I get what all the scouts agree on, but has there ever been any point where he looks like an elite guy? 

He needs to be in AAA, playing every day.  Despite the HR yesterday, he just does not look to be ready to consistently hit major league pitching.  At this point, I think having him up here to play every 2nd or 3rd day is hurting him and the team.  I am not sure what options we have with the Narvaez injury, but does not seem like Alvarez is the answer.  At least not yet.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

He needs to be in AAA, playing every day.  Despite the HR yesterday, he just does not look to be ready to consistently hit major league pitching.  At this point, I think having him up here to play every 2nd or 3rd day is hurting him and the team.  I am not sure what options we have with the Narvaez injury, but does not seem like Alvarez is the answer.  At least not yet.

The HR looked like it was more him getting a lucky swing on a pitch he shouldn't have swung at (and also after he stranded bases loaded on two straight AB's). I think he needs to be playing for sure, it's time. I'm just saying in the several weeks worth of seeing him in big league play, has he ever shown anything to look like the #1 prospect in all of baseball? Like, anything? What does he do that looks elite? When you watch Baty play you can absolutely see everything that everyone goes gaga over. Alvarez looks so lost everywhere. 

And he's putting the bat on the ball, OK great. But again, this doesn't seem like stuff a #1 overall is supposed to be battling.

21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The HR looked like it was more him getting a lucky swing on a pitch he shouldn't have swung at (and also after he stranded bases loaded on two straight AB's). I think he needs to be playing for sure, it's time. I'm just saying in the several weeks worth of seeing him in big league play, has he ever shown anything to look like the #1 prospect in all of baseball? Like, anything? What does he do that looks elite? When you watch Baty play you can absolutely see everything that everyone goes gaga over. Alvarez looks so lost everywhere. 

And he's putting the bat on the ball, OK great. But again, this doesn't seem like stuff a #1 overall is supposed to be battling.

He is a catcher that "should" put up 25-30 HRs a year annually. That alone puts him in elite company, particularly for that position. He is still very, very raw. You can tell he is pressing.

38 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He is a catcher that "should" put up 25-30 HRs a year annually. That alone puts him in elite company, particularly for that position. He is still very, very raw. You can tell he is pressing.

I fully understand everything the scouting reports say. My point is he displays none of it at the major league level. For a #1 overall, that's really concerning.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I fully understand everything the scouting reports say. My point is he displays none of it at the major league level. For a #1 overall, that's really concerning.

As Yogi said, baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical.

Some players assimilate the game much more rapidly than others. It has noting to do with ability. Especially at the Catcher position. There is so much more prep that is required for the position.

Look how long it has taken Kelenic to adjust. He is now starting to hit in his 3rd season at the bigs. 

From my uneducated eye, the Alvarez bat speed looks slow, and late. Bases upon his exit velocity in the minors, bat speed is not his problem. That most likely means he is muscling up and tense. Hopefully he gets comfortable at some point. My real concern with him is the liberty runners are taking on him right now.

Heck, remember how bad Lindor looks when he came here initially? He was already established, but he was pressing.

I have no idea what he will be, but his skills say he should come around.

7 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

As Yogi said, baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical.

Some players assimilate the game much more rapidly than others. It has noting to do with ability. Especially at the Catcher position. There is so much more prep that is required for the position.

Look how long it has taken Kelenic to adjust. He is now starting to hit in his 3rd season at the bigs. 

From my uneducated eye, the Alvarez bat speed looks slow, and late. Bases upon his exit velocity in the minors, bat speed is not his problem. That most likely means he is muscling up and tense. Hopefully he gets comfortable at some point. My real concern with him is the liberty runners are taking on him right now.

Heck, remember how bad Lindor looks when he came here initially? He was already established, but he was pressing.

I have no idea what he will be, but his skills say he should come around.

Again, I get all that. It's a simple question: Is there anything he does where you look at him and say wow, that guy is the #1 overall prospect in baseball? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Again, I get all that. It's a simple question: Is there anything he does where you look at him and say wow, that guy is the #1 overall prospect in baseball? 

It was pretty evident in his minor league at bats. That's where that comes from. Bat speed and raw power.

They probably pushed it bringing him up last year, and early this year as well. But the need was there

1. Have to wonder if it's time to consider moving McNeil up to the 2 spot. With Nimmo playing at a MVP level and McNeil on fire IMO it would be a big spark.

2. Sit Marte and call Vientos up. It's hard to believe that Marte is falling off this far of a cliff, something is up. Let him rest and clear some space for Vientos, who's mashing right now.

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't put a lot of stock in the subjective nature of exacting prospects in particular spots. You could probably put the "top 50" in a barrel and and shake them out and it would be hard to quibble. Is Alvarez a 5 tool guy? No. But there is prodigious power there and that makes some salivate. Particularly at the catcher position. He is only 21, played about only 120 games above "A" ball and the Mets felt that he still needed seasoning (and he does). The only reason he is here right now is because of an injury to Narvaez. 

If he can become a .270 guy with 25 homers a year and drive in 75 runs, he will be the best thing the Mets have had at the position since Piazza and Hundley. And I would be ectsatic with those numbers. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't put a lot of stock in the subjective nature of exacting prospects in particular spots. You could probably put the "top 50" in a barrel and and shake them out and it would be hard to quibble. Is Alvarez a 5 tool guy? No. But there is prodigious power there and that makes some salivate. Particularly at the catcher position. He is only 21, played about only 120 games above "A" ball and the Mets felt that he still needed seasoning (and he does). The only reason he is here right now is because of an injury to Narvaez. 

If he can become a .270 guy with 25 homers a year and drive in 75 runs, he will be the best thing the Mets have had at the position since Piazza and Hundley. And I would be ectsatic with those numbers. 

I dunno, tbh from the little I've seen from Parada he looks like the more impressive guy from top to bottom. Doesn't this kind of remind you of the Dom/Alonso thing from a few years ago? Dom's the elite guy! Where are we supposed to put the both of them? Turns out it worked itself out.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno, tbh from the little I've seen from Parada he looks like the more impressive guy from top to bottom. Doesn't this kind of remind you of the Dom/Alonso thing from a few years ago? Dom's the elite guy! Where are we supposed to put the both of them? Turns out it worked itself out.

Just looked at Parada's stats. He is in High A ball. Hitting .231, 1HR, OPS .715. Dealing with small sample sizes here. 

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Texas Rangers ace Jacob deGrom was placed on the 15-day injured list Saturday with right elbow inflammation after early exits in two of his past three starts.

While his departures from those games were attributed to right wrist soreness and forearm tightness, general manager Chris Young said an MRI showed some inflammation in the elbow.

"There's no need to push him," Young said. "He came in today and felt OK, which is a positive, but given how important he is to us and our season, we're going to play this very cautiously and see how he responds over the next several days to treatment."

Young said the Rangers should have a pretty good idea in seven to 10 days on what the next steps would be for the two-time National League Cy Young Award winner. DeGrom was coming off two injury-plagued seasons with the New York Mets when he signed a $185 million, five-year contract with Texas in December.

The American League West-leading Rangers recalled right-handed pitcher Yerry Rodríguez from Triple-A Round Rock.

After the right-hander left his start against the New York Yankees with two outs in the fourth inning Friday night, manager Bruce Bochy said the move was again precautionary and that deGrom had forearm tightness. Before Saturday's game, and Young's announcement, Bochy said the "same thing cramped up on" deGrom.

Young said he felt the wrist issue was different and under control.

"But was there some compensation from the wrist that maybe irritated this? Perhaps, but I can't say for certain," said Young, a former big league pitcher.

Texas has won all six games started by deGrom (2-0), but he has been limited to 30⅓ innings. He has a 2.67 ERA with 45 strikeouts and four walks.

9 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Texas Rangers ace Jacob deGrom was placed on the 15-day injured list Saturday with right elbow inflammation after early exits in two of his past three starts.

While his departures from those games were attributed to right wrist soreness and forearm tightness, general manager Chris Young said an MRI showed some inflammation in the elbow.

"There's no need to push him," Young said. "He came in today and felt OK, which is a positive, but given how important he is to us and our season, we're going to play this very cautiously and see how he responds over the next several days to treatment."

Young said the Rangers should have a pretty good idea in seven to 10 days on what the next steps would be for the two-time National League Cy Young Award winner. DeGrom was coming off two injury-plagued seasons with the New York Mets when he signed a $185 million, five-year contract with Texas in December.

The American League West-leading Rangers recalled right-handed pitcher Yerry Rodríguez from Triple-A Round Rock.

After the right-hander left his start against the New York Yankees with two outs in the fourth inning Friday night, manager Bruce Bochy said the move was again precautionary and that deGrom had forearm tightness. Before Saturday's game, and Young's announcement, Bochy said the "same thing cramped up on" deGrom.

Young said he felt the wrist issue was different and under control.

"But was there some compensation from the wrist that maybe irritated this? Perhaps, but I can't say for certain," said Young, a former big league pitcher.

Texas has won all six games started by deGrom (2-0), but he has been limited to 30⅓ innings. He has a 2.67 ERA with 45 strikeouts and four walks.

He's a 5 inning pitcher now, max, who cant stay healthy.  Smart to not sign him but the Mets suck.  lol 

Looks like Alvarez after predictable very slow start could be really good. He’s been rated top prospect in all of baseball. Just stay with him and Mets could this season have a top player. Same goes for Baty who looks like he can hit MLB pitching. 

Sherzer seems completely washed. Like totally done. He was awful for the whole last month last year and it just seems to be getting worse. He is throwing a 92 mph fastball!!

What is the last decent pitcher we have developed on our own? DeGromm?!?! Who was the last decent lefty we developed....I have no one, jesus.

Again, why weren't scouts from the Braves/Cards?orgs that have been competent/competitive for decades poached at will? I thought Cohen was all about getting the best people? Those are the best people you need, not washed up 40 year pitchers!

• Upvote 1