NOT Same Old Jets!

3 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

I'm not into "morale victories," but this is NOT the Same Old Jets, AND I can see us being in the Super Bowl next year. I believe!

the issue is that the NFL is a week to week year to year league. you have to try and play for it when you have the opportunity...next year will have its own injuries and who knows how bad they will be. the 1999 jets are a prime example, who didnt feel great coming out of that Denver game in 98.

i do agree when healthy this team is full of studs.

6 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

I'm not into "morale victories," but this is NOT the Same Old Jets, AND I can see us being in the Super Bowl next year. I believe!

I think JD looks at a game like today and says to himself...if we have a real QB and a healthy team, we are the best team in the league.  I could definitely see him taking a big swing at a veteran QB in the offseason even if it means trading draft capital.  I wonder if he has seen enough from Mike White to give him a legit shot at the job in training camp

• Upvote 3

Only difference I have with the Wait til next year posts is I'm not giving up on THIS year until either it's over and we're not in the playoffs or we're still playing football in 2 months-until that last final score I will continue to hold out hope-because we have a guy at QB who inspires the team-you can see it and feel it, when he was in that locker room, the Jets were walking around with their heads hanging down, and when he came back, they all started flying around again. I just don't understand why Michael Carter coming off an injury was getting so many reps, when Ty Johnson was able and is tougher and doesn't fumble

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

This is exactly what SOJ means. Be good enough to get your hopes up and then rip your heart out with inexplicable mistakes. The Mosley offsides, MW getting hurt, Flacco turning it over on one of his few snaps, MC fumble… those plays the epitome of SOFJ

Vegas had the Jets as a 10 point dog Today.  They were in no way supposed to win outright today, yet they stayed right there with Buffalo for most of the game.  Buffalo, right now, today, is a better team than the Jets, but if the Jet roster is at Full Strength, it’s much closer than Anyone would have believed not too long ago.

This is NOT the SOJ anymore.  Won’t be for a Long time.  This, by age, is the most talented young Roster in the NFL…looking at it potential wise.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't know, looks to me like we're going to go from 7-4 to losing 5 of the last 6 and missing the playoffs.

That feels pretty Same Old Jets to me.

The goal this season was to play meaningful games in Decermeber. Nobody expected it.

And here the Jets are, with all but their first 2 losses being one-score games and the last 2 (or even 3 some might argue) with a chance to win it or tie on the last drive. 7-6 and playing hard despite the many injuries. The Jets haven't been blown out with a QB not names Flacco this season, and are relevant for the first time in forever. The Jets have been in the playoff picture of one of the hardest AFCs in a long time.

There's really 2 ways to view this. The expectation has grown, but these Jets have played well enough to grow that expectation.

The Vikings and Bills are better teams. That's not SOJ, that's just that the Jets have room for improvement.

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I think JD looks at a game like today and says to himself...if we have a real QB and a healthy team, we are the best team in the league.  I could definitely see him taking a big swing at a veteran QB in the offseason even if it means trading draft capital.  I wonder if he has seen enough from Mike White to give him a legit shot at the job in training camp

They need to look at a WR also, Corey Davis is good in spurts, oft injured and too many drops. Berrios is wearing thin, E Moore is not the player I thought he would be, hopefully that changes. In FA or the Draft we need a solid #2. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

The goal this season was to play meaningful games in Decermeber. Nobody expected it.

I don't think that's an accurate claim.  Several people did in fact predict this.

3 minutes ago, Hex said:

And here the Jets are, with all but their first 2 losses being one-score games and the last 2 (or even 3 some might argue) with a chance to win it or tie on the last drive. 7-6 and playing hard despite the many injuries. The Jets haven't been blown out with a QB not names Flacco this season, and are relevant for the first time in forever. The Jets have been in the playoff picture of one of the hardest AFCs in a long time.

There's really 2 ways to view this. The expectation has grown, but these Jets have played well enough to grow that expectation.

The Vikings and Bills are better teams. That's not SOJ, that's just that the Jets have room for improvement.

It's unquestionable that JD and Co. have materially improved to the team from the wretched state of 2020 and 2021.

But a 7-4 team shouldn't collapse and finish 8-9.  Hopefully my pessimism is ill founded, and we don't.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I don't see JD doing that it is out of character and against his beliefs

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't think that's an accurate claim.  Several people did in fact predict this.

Fair. The majority of people didn't expect this. There's always a few people who go against what everybody else predicts, and sometime's they're right. My point was most people saw an 8-9 finish at best, not at worst, with the Jets barely beating the crappy teams and getting destroyed against the good teams. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's unquestionable that JD and Co. have materially improved to the team from the wretched state of 2020 and 2021.

But a 7-4 team shouldn't collapse and finish 8-9.  Hopefully my pessimism is ill founded, and we don't.

Again, fair. I see your point. I would be certainly disappointing. 

I think the reality of this Jets team is that while they are very talented, they aren't currently sustainable. Much like the Giants this season (Who just got blown out 48-22) The Jets are a young team that has the capacity to beat any team but not every team. Looking back, the Bills are really the only team the Jets beat who are actually good (If you don't count the Dolphins who had their 3rd stringer playing his NFL debut). The Jets have won continually against soft teams who seemed better at the time. The fact that they can beat these bad teams (sometimes destroy them) is a big improvement from previous seasons but looking back it seems the Jets' record was better than their team. They will improve in the coming years.

• Upvote 1

I have to agree. The Jets losses have not been same old Jetsy. A young team with a young coaching staff has to figure out how to win consistently. They have shown that they can do it, but now they need to do it consistently. 

Another year of growth, free agency acquisitions and draft picks will put this team firmly in the mix of contenders. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Hex said:

Fair. The majority of people didn't expect this. There's always a few people who go against what everybody else predicts, and sometime's they're right. My point was most people saw an 8-9 finish at best, not at worst, with the Jets barely beating the crappy teams and getting destroyed against the good teams. 

Again, fair. I see your point. I would be certainly disappointing. 

I think the reality of this Jets team is that while they are very talented, they aren't currently sustainable. Much like the Giants this season (Who just got blown out 48-22) The Jets are a young team that has the capacity to beat any team but not every team. Looking back, the Bills are really the only team the Jets beat who are actually good (If you don't count the Dolphins who had their 3rd stringer playing his NFL debut). The Jets have won continually against soft teams who seemed better at the time. The fact that they can beat these bad teams (sometimes destroy them) is a big improvement from previous seasons but looking back it seems the Jets' record was better than their team. They will improve in the coming years.

Keep this in mind:

Of our 7 wins this year, only two were against opposing starting QB's.

-Browns was their #2 because of Watson's suspension

-Pittsburgh was their backup/rookie most of the game.

-Miami was their #3 almost all game.

-Denver was their #2 all game

-Chicago was their #2 all game.

In games where the opposing team started their starting QB...we are 2-6 this year.

People may willfully choose to overlook this, or make light of it, but it's a factor.

We're absolutely better, as good and talented as we've been in a while.  But maybe not as Super Bowl ready as some folks like to think.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

They need to look at a WR also, Corey Davis is good in spurts, oft injured and too many drops. Berrios is wearing thin, E Moore is not the player I thought he would be, hopefully that changes. In FA or the Draft we need a solid #2. 

They need to use Berrios as the KOR and PR and that's IT. Give Elijah Moore all of the plays drawn up for Berrios, who in typical NFL players' way he gets signed to nice contract in the off-season and invariably afterwards plays about half as good as he did before. He is no Wayne Chrebet. Also, Denzel Mims as well as being an excellent blocker is getting better and better catching the balls that White lays right in his gut., the more he plays-the better he gets., I'd like to see him playing all of Corey Davis' plays next week-use Garrett Wilson, Elijah Moore, Denzel Mims and bring Jeff Smith up from the PS to play some WR 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Keep this in mind:

Of our 7 wins this year, only two were against opposing starting QB's.

-Browns was their #2 because of Watson's suspension

-Pittsburgh was their backup/rookie most of the game.

-Miami was their #3 almost all game.

-Denver was their #2 all game

-Chicago was their #2 all game.

In games where the opposing team started their starting QB...we are 2-6 this year.

People may willfully choose to overlook this, or make light of it, but it's a factor.

Exactly. And GB is 5-8 and their whole team sucks. This feels pretty similar to the 2019 season but with a better record and a more talented team once you look at it.

Beating soft teams is always the start of a good team though.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Thesilvermind said:

We are a good improving team

not good enough to overcome losing #95 and two turnovers

we need to get healthy next year and add some OLine

Only concern is O Coordinator.
Don’t see much a feel for game from him

play design is iffy at times

Honestly, noticed this D really dropped off once QW95 went out. He makes it where he raises the play of the whole D. Hope he can come back even as soon as the next game.

• Upvote 1

We have a legit SB caliber D.   We have a true 1 WR and hopefully a stud running back next year.  AVT comes back next year.   We need to solidify the QB position and get another legit weapon in the passing game.  Could be a true No 2 or a stud TE.   The OL needs a little work.  

Its good team that a few tweaks could be great.   The last 10 percent of a rebuild is the hardest part.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Thesilvermind said:

We are a good improving team

not good enough to overcome losing #95 and two turnovers

we need to get healthy next year and add some OLine

Only concern is O Coordinator.
Don’t see much a feel for game from him

play design is iffy at times

This team is very young as is LaFluer. Both are learning and growing into puberty. 

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

They need to use Berrios as the KOR and PR and that's IT. Give Elijah Moore all of the plays drawn up for Berrios, who in typical NFL players' way he gets signed to nice contract in the off-season and invariably afterwards plays about half as good as he did before. He is no Wayne Chrebet. Also, Denzel Mims as well as being an excellent blocker is getting better and better catching the balls that White lays right in his gut., the more he plays-the better he gets., I'd like to see him playing all of Corey Davis' plays next week-use Garrett Wilson, Elijah Moore, Denzel Mims and bring Jeff Smith up from the PS to play some WR 

Agree with the MIMS assessment, but a sure handed veteran or a taller possession WR is what this team needs.

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Agree with the MIMS assessment, but a sure handed veteran or a taller possession WR is what this team needs.

Corey Davis has been a big disappointment and has never been able to live up to the expectations we had for him when we signed him. As for Berrios, what is it with NFL players when they get the big contracts, why is it they always fall off as soon as the checks get bigger?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't know, looks to me like we're going to go from 7-4 to losing 5 of the last 6 and missing the playoffs.

That feels pretty Same Old Jets to me.

SOJ is losing by 2-3 scores in games we need to win.  At least we have a good defense: we have not lost a game by more than 1 possession since week 3.  That includes 2 losses with a dysfunctional QB.

If we come out flat against the Lions & Jags then I will agree with you.  But so far this year, this team has fought hard every game despite making mistakes.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Give it a week. Lions game terrifies me. 

Saleh has been thoroughly outcoached in consecutive weeks. 

I have no confidence that this team will be ready for the lions. Totally going to be over confident 

Doubt it. The Lions have won 5 of their last 6. They will have the Jets full attention 

• Sympathy 1