I don't get the fascination with LaFleur

During the game today they kept talking about how LaFleur is a brilliant mind and from time to time people here talk about how he'll be a head coach in no time. I don't get it.

The offense is full of good players but how many games can you say they looked great as a unit or that they played entire games without looking like they took a quarter off to rest. Maybe four at most? The team stalls drive after drive in the endzone. You can't blame the offensive problems on ZW because we've seen the same thing with three different QBs. 

There's a real drop off in the offense after Hall and AVT's injuries. Both exceptional players but if losing one OL and one RB resulted in losing virtually all scoring capability, that's an incredible indictment of the offense. Bam has been solid at RB and it's not like the team replaced AVT with a sequel to Wayne Hunter. 

Following the GB game, the offense scored 10 TDs in 7 games. Three of those were against the Bears, one of the worst defenses in the league. In the other 6 games, the offense scored a collective 7 TDs. Essentially 1 TD per game. The last time I remember the Jets playing as Team FG was 2014, IMO the worst roster the team put together since Johnson bought the team. In 2014 the offense averaged slightly more TDs per game. How is LaFleur a rising star OC doing less with more?

He's new to the position and I have no problem thinking he's in the midst of growing pains in the role. I just don't get admiration for the quality of the offensive performance when the offense scores in the bottom third of the league. Right now he's the Zach Wilson of OCs. If the defense was only average this year, I'd have a hard time seeing this team winning more than six games. 

Have at it.

• Upvote 1

I think he has a good offensive system but isn’t a particularly good in-game play caller. He also is a bit pass happy, in general. 

Two major issues I have had with him - 1) slow starts in games - very few opening drive scores (game planning? Scripting?), 2) very poor execution in short yardage (not sure if this is more an issue with personnel? The OL is very banged up)

Edited by slimjasi
  • Upvote 2

Lafleur isn't that good....I've been saying this...

His system is fine, although I'd like to see him tailor it more to his personnel....

His playcalling is what stinks....doesn't move off his spot....gets too cute with gadgets at times....has no feel on when to use short yardage personnel vs these asinine runs out of shotgun....calls too much east to west plays instead of using it as a changeup from actually moving the ball down the field...

No one wanted to hear it while they were busy playing witchhunt with Zach....hopefully now they'll start to see it now that it's exposed with the chosen one under center....

• Upvote 1

He is what he is. A young coach who is learning on the job. Saleh is hoping he continues to grow. 

Hes had games and series within games where he's done great with play calling. 

But....right now he's inconsistent. He's also had to deal with a lot of injuries and poor execution at times. 

Like it or not, I think Saleh is going to allow him the space to continue to learn on the job and hopefully grow into a great play caller. 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think he has a good offensive system but isn’t a particularly good in-game play caller. He also is a bit pass happy, in general. 

Two major issues I have had with him - 1) slow starts in games - very few opening drive scores (game planning? Scripting?), 2) very poor execution in short yardage (not sure if this is more an issue with personnel? The OL is very banged up)

Honestly the OL is where we are now more than LaFleur.  The run blocking has not been great and this whole system feeds off that.  Secondary has to worry less about the run if blockers are not getting to the second level.  I really don't think he wants to call 45+ passes a game.

31 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Jets fans always have to blame somebody and find a scapegoat.

There is nothing wrong with Lafleur, the offensive system is a very good one, the Bills are the best team in the AFC.

We are playing with our 12, 13, and 14 OL'n, our 3rd RB, everybody calm down!

I agree.  I like MiLF but he tends to get too cute sometimes with these WR screens and stuff.  Too much east/west stuff.  Today wasn’t an issue of MiLF, it was flacco and Carter turning the ball over.