The o-line has been awful since AVT went down

freestater

46 minutes ago, Larz said:

According to sportrac, The least amount of players on IR is 4, the most is 16. 

the jets have 6

The chargers have 16, the team I’m watching right now would smoke the jets 

no excuses 

Max Mitchell: NFI

Cedric Ogbuehi: IR

AVT: IR

Other OL Players that have been hurt this season: Fant, Brown, Herbig

McGovern and Tomlinson are really the only OL players that have stayed healthy. 

I may have missed a few. A 5th string OL shouldn't ever have to take a snap, and yet there was Remmers

The Chargers? 1 OL starter not playing, Slater. 

They do have a lot of injuries, but not on the OL

CBS also has the Chargers at 10 on IR, not 16

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Truly one of the most important guys on offense. Completely different line without him. Can't run, pass protection has gone to sh*t. Man I hope he's back true to form next year. JD has to spend an early pick on the line. Maybe even tackle. It would be great to get Ali back to get back on track. 

They need both an OT and a OC/OG early next draft, no matter who is QB

So from what I gather, the solution is to have at least 2 early round rookies starting on the OL next year? Meh. I want at least one of those top 2 picks drafting a MLB; hearing how wonderful CJM is if he makes 1 play all game has been beyond triggering, to use the common parlance. He blows. Anyway…

They’ve been bit by injuries. Becton and AVT were supposed to start all year. They got zero games from Becton after he broke a kneecap, and just 6 1/4 games from AVT. Mitchell looked surprisingly good earlier, and then missed most of the season himself.

Brown missed the first 4 games outright and could’ve easily missed the whole season on IR but chose to play through his shoulder injury instead of getting surgery right away like he could have. He hasn’t been 100% since injuring it in preseason but he’s a ****ing old school horse who’s been playing through it. 

Plus for all that money and scheme familiarity and recent probowl accolades and high expectations, Tomlinson ****ing sucks. My concern is he’ll be back so JD won’t have to admit he made a mistake paying him so much (and bad press as spiteful dopes like Cimini further lament on what his dead cap # would be, even though he surely realizes that’s a sunk cost). He does nothing above average, and looked like a 3rd stringer for most of the season. At least he’s on the field, I guess, but that’s not enough.

Herbig just had his worst game of the year. I don’t know if he’s still got some lingering undisclosed injury or if he was just beaten more today. It was a handful of plays, though, where he looked weaker; not like he let pressure through every other dropback. I still like him better than Tomlinson right now, if forced to choose.

Fant hasn’t looked right all season, and there were at least two plays in the first half and one in the 3rd Q where he jumped a split second early & was lucky he didn’t get flagged for false starts. Last week he was one of a few who could be said to have blown the game with that idiotic and obvious block in the back. Douglas was right not to extend him for $15-20MM like the player surely wanted after a breakout 2021 season, and despite his size he’s never been a strong run blocker anyway.

McGovern is honestly ok. He’s not a mauler, but he’s no train wreck; he plays smart and he still moves well, plus iirc hasn’t missed a snap all season. I don’t know what his demands will be or what the team is willing to pay, but it’s naive to expect the team to head into the draft without a legit starting center in place. Feeney as C/G backup is overpaid, even at just $3MM, and is also a FA in March anyway. So they really have no one else to even pencil in before the draft.

The young backs block like crap; MC2 in particular isn’t getting any better at it. At least one of the times White had instant pressure in his face from the right, Carter was supposed to at least chip his guy before his short route but he just let him make a bee line for his QB. Conklin didn’t do such a great job on the play either except his assignment was merely contained half a second longer so it didn’t impact the play. Also the penalties were killers today, from non-linemen Davis & Uzomah. Makes the offense more predictable and easier to defend, against an already-strong defense.

If they do draft 2 on the OL, though, one should be on day 3. I don’t really want to see 2 rookies out there together, they don’t need it, and it’d be malpractice to head into the draft with 2 holes on the OL.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Herbig was frankly awful today. He was getting pushed around mightily.

Virtually EVERY drop back today there was a Jail Break at Mike White, (and he STILL put up Quality Stats coupled with the terrible weather and being physically blasted), even though he was getting the ball out, many times, in Under 2 seconds.  Yeah injuries suck.  The Jet OL has been decimated lots of the year.

Imagine Mike White playing behind at least a semi intact OL, Hall back, other toys brought in by Douglas, you'll see some 400 yard games from White next year.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, freestater said:

Truly one of the most important guys on offense. Completely different line without him. Can't run, pass protection has gone to sh*t. Man I hope he's back true to form next year. JD has to spend an early pick on the line. Maybe even tackle. It would be great to get Ali back to get back on track. 

Spend the first 3 picks on it and get it done haha

9 hours ago, sourceworx said:

They've been playing musical chairs with the O-Line all year. A lot of injuries. They managed fairly well to fight through it for a while, but it's all catching up to them now.

You can't keep having different guys in the lineup each week and expect them to perform well.

This, when you're 5 Tackles deep and the line up is changing week to week, it's hard get consistent play.  Continuity is everything on the OL and these dudes have hade zero this season.  Legit feels like a different 5 every single week this year.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I kinda felt the opposite.  Bam was good, but it seemed like many of LaFleur's run calls were stuffed.  44 pass attempts today and 57 last week is simply too many...

they were stuffed a bit but you are running against one of the better defenses in league.  The pass attempts last 2 games are high because they are playing from behind.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So from what I gather, the solution is to have at least 2 early round rookies starting on the OL next year? Meh. I want at least one of those top 2 picks drafting a MLB; hearing how wonderful CJM is if he makes 1 play all game has been beyond triggering, to use the common parlance. He blows. Anyway…

They’ve been bit by injuries. Becton and AVT were supposed to start all year. They got zero games from Becton after he broke a kneecap, and just 6 1/4 games from AVT. Mitchell looked surprisingly good earlier, and then missed most of the season himself.

Brown missed the first 4 games outright and could’ve easily missed the whole season on IR but chose to play through his shoulder injury instead of getting surgery right away like he could have. He hasn’t been 100% since injuring it in preseason but he’s a ****ing old school horse who’s been playing through it. 

Plus for all that money and scheme familiarity and recent probowl accolades and high expectations, Tomlinson ****ing sucks. My concern is he’ll be back so JD won’t have to admit he made a mistake paying him so much (and bad press as spiteful dopes like Cimini further lament on what his dead cap # would be, even though he surely realizes that’s a sunk cost). He does nothing above average, and looked like a 3rd stringer for most of the season. At least he’s on the field, I guess, but that’s not enough.

Herbig just had his worst game of the year. I don’t know if he’s still got some lingering undisclosed injury or if he was just beaten more today. It was a handful of plays, though, where he looked weaker; not like he let pressure through every other dropback. I still like him better than Tomlinson right now, if forced to choose.

Fant hasn’t looked right all season, and there were at least two plays in the first half and one in the 3rd Q where he jumped a split second early & was lucky he didn’t get flagged for false starts. Last week he was one of a few who could be said to have blown the game with that idiotic and obvious block in the back. Douglas was right not to extend him for $15-20MM like the player surely wanted after a breakout 2021 season, and despite his size he’s never been a strong run blocker anyway.

McGovern is honestly ok. He’s not a mauler, but he’s no train wreck; he plays smart and he still moves well, plus iirc hasn’t missed a snap all season. I don’t know what his demands will be or what the team is willing to pay, but it’s naive to expect the team to head into the draft without a legit starting center in place. Feeney as C/G backup is overpaid, even at just $3MM, and is also a FA in March anyway. So they really have no one else to even pencil in before the draft.

The young backs block like crap; MC2 in particular isn’t getting any better at it. At least one of the times White had instant pressure in his face from the right, Carter was supposed to at least chip his guy before his short route but he just let him make a bee line for his QB. Conklin didn’t do such a great job on the play either except his assignment was merely contained half a second longer so it didn’t impact the play. Also the penalties were killers today, from non-linemen Davis & Uzomah. Makes the offense more predictable and easier to defend, against an already-strong defense.

If they do draft 2 on the OL, though, one should be on day 3. I don’t really want to see 2 rookies out there together, they don’t need it, and it’d be malpractice to head into the draft with 2 holes on the OL.

Nobody is saying the entire line needs to be made up of rookies, and I actually like Herbig, but like Max Mitchell before his blood clot issues, (GWS) Max...  I thought that he was in need of a good strength offseason program and Herbig could benefit from that as well. The problem is we don't have bookends if Brown decides he doesn't want to play anymore and hangs up his cleats.  The decisions by JD are going to be huge going into next year regarding this unit. Where do you play AVT, where do we thing Becton will fit in, if he can even play again, given his 2 year absence. I get that nobody wants to start 2 rookies on the line, but at some point we need to address that injuries have made what once looked like a good group into a not so good group. The way I see it, is I would draft a top flight Tackle. Then you take another OL in the middle rounds. Then you have some flexibility to move guys around next year. One thing to me is clear, we need a stable OL if we are going to be a top flight team. I'm not saying it has to be the best in the league, but it has to perform much better. We have good RB's and a capable QB in White, but if it's White he needs protection, cause he can't move around. 

33 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Nobody is saying the entire line needs to be made up of rookies, and I actually like Herbig, but like Max Mitchell before his blood clot issues, (GWS) Max...  I thought that he was in need of a good strength offseason program and Herbig could benefit from that as well. The problem is we don't have bookends if Brown decides he doesn't want to play anymore and hangs up his cleats.  The decisions by JD are going to be huge going into next year regarding this unit. Where do you play AVT, where do we thing Becton will fit in, if he can even play again, given his 2 year absence. I get that nobody wants to start 2 rookies on the line, but at some point we need to address that injuries have made what once looked like a good group into a not so good group. The way I see it, is I would draft a top flight Tackle. Then you take another OL in the middle rounds. Then you have some flexibility to move guys around next year. One thing to me is clear, we need a stable OL if we are going to be a top flight team. I'm not saying it has to be the best in the league, but it has to perform much better. We have good RB's and a capable QB in White, but if it's White he needs protection, cause he can't move around. 

I didn’t argue against the entire line being made up of rookies. More that I was arguing against the suggestions that the team needs to draft OL with 2 high picks next year.

The word “need” is overused. Not talking about writing style, but in substance. Any desired upgrade at one position or another is not equal a “need” really. Otherwise this team has a dozen or more “needs” among starters & rotational semi-starters.

Tomlinson I’d dump because he’s not worth a $13MM salary. I’d move AVT back to guard and play him & Herbig (re-sign for a lot less than Tomlinson). Re-sign McGovern, who’s reliable. That’s the middle 3.

Tackles D. Brown + Becton + Mitchell + yes I would draft 1 tackle next year. Also Fant won’t get major starter money like he was on pace to get after 2021, so the opportunity there is open. There are also starter-worthy RT options that aren’t bank breakers in the offseason, plus yes in a pinch AVT can kick out to tackle if we are unlucky enough to get 2022-level desperate again. They also still need another backup guard capable of starting for multi-game stretches, but they’re always available and (absent just getting lucky injury-wise) every playoff team utilizes that necessity from time to time. 

I lay it on thick, so don’t take it personally ;). Anyway that group outlined above really should be enough for a season, and it’s more reliable than crossing our fingers that 2 rookies will be instantly good starters.

No way a playoff-caliber team - which the Jets are - should be betting its fortunes on going 2 for 2 for OL starters at the expense of everywhere else on the team where there are bigger holes/needs like at LB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn’t argue against the entire line being made up of rookies. More that I was arguing against the suggestions that the team needs to draft OL with 2 high picks next year.

The word “need” is overused. Not talking about writing style, but in substance. Any desired upgrade at one position or another is not equal a “need” really. Otherwise this team has a dozen or more “needs” among starters & rotational semi-starters.

Tomlinson I’d dump because he’s not worth a $13MM salary. I’d move AVT back to guard and play him & Herbig (re-sign for a lot less than Tomlinson). Re-sign McGovern, who’s reliable. That’s the middle 3.

Tackles D. Brown + Becton + Mitchell + yes I would draft 1 tackle next year. Also Fant won’t get major starter money like he was on pace to get after 2021, so the opportunity there is open. There are also starter-worthy RT options that aren’t bank breakers in the offseason, plus yes in a pinch AVT can kick out to tackle if we are unlucky enough to get 2022-level desperate again. They also still need another backup guard capable of starting for multi-game stretches, but they’re always available and (absent just getting lucky injury-wise) every playoff team utilizes that necessity from time to time. 

I lay it on thick, so don’t take it personally ;). Anyway that group outlined above really should be enough for a season, and it’s more reliable than crossing our fingers that 2 rookies will be instantly good starters.

No way a playoff-caliber team - which the Jets are - should be betting its fortunes on going 2 for 2 for OL starters at the expense of everywhere else on the team where there are bigger holes/needs like at LB.

Didn't take it personal.... Know you're a good poster, as I've read many of them... I'm torn on moving AVT back inside, but am not opposed to it. I guess it all depends on who we get in FA and the draft. I can live with McGovern, but would rather draft his replacement as well. In order for Herbig and Mitchell if he comes back to become top flight players, they need to both hit the gym... Mitchell to gain a few pounds and muscle, and Herbig to put on muscle....  For me that's key in the offseason if they are to be considered as serious contenders for starting positions. As a guard, they can't be pushed around on the line. I get they will lose some battles, but for the most part I want them winning a larger percentage of them.