Something Else We Seem To Have Lost...A LOT of Smart Jets Fans

SoFlaJets

and I take this from personal experience of friends and relatives of mine as well as from the discourse on this Board, on Twitter and from YouTube comments and discussions of Jets-related topics.

We have lost a lot of intelligent Jets fans who could always be counted on to add to the conversations. I went back and did a little necro-digging to see some of the names of the guys and girls who no longer are around for one reason or another. Here's a few: gg, Verde, Faba, Smizzy, TMac, JetFan13, LatinLawyer, Gimme Shelter, BrenJetsFan, DickKotite, RSJ, PanzerDivision, Stiller Paul (Steelers fan but smart football guy),TaborJet, SpermEdwards used to post a lot more, Scott Dierking,DBatesman, JoeKlecko, SouthernJet, I mean there are a lot of really smart Jets fans and fans of rival teams who could always counted on to add to the discourse.Wherever they posted. Where are they, Where's they all go?

I know a lot of guys get banned and I don't know why or care to start some kind of discussion about any single person, I'm just a little concerned especially when I read the way so many of these new people think, how they judge talent and how they don't see, or maybe they don't WANT to see the lack of it from performances of just a few short weeks ago in comparison to what is happening now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I think it's a combo of 12 years of nothing Jets wise with knee-jerk threads. It can be difficult maneuvering the BS on game day.

I think that is a big part of it too bro-this has been a very long dry spell, but we've had them before

True.  "Smart" and "Jets fan" is a bit of an oxymoron.
If we were "smart" we would have grown up Giants fans and enjoyed a Super Bowl victory for four straight decades.  Or rooted for a blue blood like the Steelers or Packers.  But fandom isn't about intelligence.  It's short for fanatic, and its all about blind loyalty against everything rational or logical.
Ouch

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

and I take this from personal experience of friends and relatives of mine as well as from the discourse on this Board, on Twitter and from YouTube comments and discussions of Jets-related topics.

We have lost a lot of intelligent Jets fans who could always be counted on to add to the conversations. I went back and did a little necro-digging to see some of the names of the guys and girls who no longer are around for one reason or another. Here's a few: gg, Verde, Faba, Smizzy, TMac, JetFan13, LatinLawyer, Gimme Shelter, BrenJetsFan, DickKotite, RSJ, PanzerDivision, Stiller Paul (Steelers fan but smart football guy),TaborJet, SpermEdwards used to post a lot more, Scott Dierking,DBatesman, JoeKlecko, SouthernJet, I mean there are a lot of really smart Jets fans and fans of rival teams who could always counted on to add to the discourse.Wherever they posted. Where are they, Where's they all go?

I know a lot of guys get banned and I don't know why or care to start some kind of discussion about any single person, I'm just a little concerned especially when I read the way so many of these new people think, how they judge talent and how they don't see, or maybe they don't WANT to see the lack of it from performances of just a few short weeks ago in comparison to what is happening now. 

Dick Kotite is still here 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Lith said:

I come here to vent with like minded Jet fans.  And some of the Sunday afternoon takes are pretty bad, my own included.  But those takes are also sometimes enhanced by alcohol.  In my case if I go the the bar to watch the game, I get most of the worst takes out with the guys I am hanging with.

You don't have any memorably/legendarily bad takes.  So you have that going for you!

51 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think it's a combo of 12 years of nothing Jets wise with knee-jerk threads. It can be difficult maneuvering the BS on game day.

Edit- it's just a guess, I didn't join til 2017

The IGT’s are maddening, and @SoFlaJets is right about the fans.

I live out of state, and would love to get as much feedback as I can on days like yesterday when my stream is down. Instead I find myself shaking my head at all the nonsensical OTT hot takes and over reactions.

I try to follow along, but give up very quickly. Instead, what I do is check back in when I know a big play happened, to see what everyone is saying. Why, I don’t know.

All I get is the usual “cut this guy right now” and complaining about officiating. There was a time when NY area sport fans were thought to be a cut above the rest as far as knowledge of the game. That ship has sailed, and the mongos rule the roost.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

What I noticed about Jets fans who declared their allegiance to the team in the last ten years (and to a lesser degree, 20 years) have a tendency to keep a second team in their back pocket. They calculate when and where it's socially redeemable to define themselves as a Jets fan. 

Another discernable trend has occurred because of fantasy football. Many NFL fans today root for specific players, and only superficially for whatever team it is that they are on at the current moment. 

It's definitely a different mindset, but I don't think it's based on intelligence. Perhaps it has more to do with the most recent generations grew up where they didn't keep score and everybody got a participation trophy.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not a lot of new Jets fans were created over the last 12 years.  The ones that HAVE been created mostly just showed up this year out of the blue.  They arrived at this great site and acted like a bunch of millenials or Gen Z's entering a bar where most of the same people have been going for nearly 2 decades. 

Instead of settling in and getting assimilated they acted like they run the place and should dictate how things should be.  Many brought a cult-like obsession with defending Zach Wilson at all costs to the doorstep as well.

It'll get better though.  I think the new guys are starting to figure things out a bit.  Some humble pie has been delivered to the Zach stans and Mike White haters these last few weeks.

12 years ago the Intelligent, well adjusted, well educated Baby boomers were at the pinnacle of their power and prestige.  Sadly the copious abuse of pharmacitucal qaaludes and hallucinogenic drugs didn't really start to do serious damage to their brain function until they hit late middle age.  Most of them are now living in institutions being cared for by illegal immigrant nurses or if they're really lucky a mail order bride from Southeast Asia with both power of attorney and the willingness to wipe wheetena dribble from their formally single chins.  

In fairness to the millenials and he Gen Z's who appear to have a cult-like obsession for Zach Wilson, the Backstreet boys and Drake.  It's easy to be critical unless you, like most Baby boomers, spent 48 hours at a Greatfull Dead concert while waiting for the acid trip to subside enough to drive home.  

Did I mention that Joe Namath is currently the spokes person for Medicare?  The cult never dies...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I think this is it.  12 years, no palyoffs, one winning record.  Jet fans are frustrated and come here to vent after a loss.  Some takes are comical, but the way I look at it, sometimes the best option is to vent on a message board.  What other options do I have, wife couldn't care less and just laughs at me that I get so pissed over a stupid game.  I could yell at the dog, but what did that little guy do to deserve it.

I come here to vent with like minded Jet fans.  And some of the Sunday afternoon takes are pretty bad, my own included.  But those takes are also sometimes enhanced by alcohol.  In my case if I go the the bar to watch the game, I get most of the worst takes out with the guys I am hanging with.

We really need this playoff drought to end. 

I know I vent here, and I find it very cathartic. 

• Haha 1

Priorities change. I still come here because it's a community I enjoy and the Jets are nice distraction -some of the time- from the day-to-day grind of life. That being said, I'm not someone who's night gets ruined if the Jets lose anymore like it did when I was younger. It's nice that they're relevant this year and the team is easy to root for. The last decade or so otherwise has been really filled with apathy because the team didn't have a plan and the people in charge didn't make good decisions. So I'm pretty happy with the banter and the people on here and take it for what it is.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, peebag said:

C'mon, anyone who's a Jets fan has a little something messed up in their head.

Thank you for pointing this out.   l find the dysfunction very comforting.  Maybe some of the posters who are no longer here have found other healthy ways to cope. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

The world has lost a lot of intelligent people, and they are not returning.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

I made a list of the dumb ones we lost as well, I put  it someplace, give me a minute… 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Coquito said:

What I noticed about Jets fans who declared their allegiance to the team in the last ten years (and to a lesser degree, 20 years) have a tendency to keep a second team in their back pocket. They calculate when and where it's socially redeemable to define themselves as a Jets fan. 

Another discernable trend has occurred because of fantasy football. Many NFL fans today root for specific players, and only superficially for whatever team it is that they are on at the current moment. 

It's definitely a different mindset, but I don't think it's based on intelligence. Perhaps it has more to do with the most recent generations grew up where they didn't keep score and everybody got a participation trophy.  

I think there’s a lot to this, and I think fantasy football and legal gambling has exacerbated it to an extent. The younger fans might have a team, but they’re not loyal in the same way older fans are.

For example, a lot of people here know I’m a big fan of Baker Mayfield going back to his college days. When he went to Carolina this season I told everyone here how happy I was to have the chance to watch him every week, since the Panthers are the local team down here and all their games are televised. I thought they’d become my “second team”.

The thing is, I probably never watched an entire Panther game in the 12 years I’ve been down here. I just can’t get into them. I’ve been a Jets fan for over 50 years. I watched them win the Super Bowl. Even when Mayfield played, I couldn’t watch. I’d either stream the Jets game or go out to watch them in a sports bar. 
Old habits die hard I guess?

• Upvote 2