It's time to start Zach Wilson again!

Alka

1 minute ago, Alka said:

Forgive me for playing the "what-if" game, but if White is not healthy to go, then it's obvious from your statement that Zach should start.  And if Zach has a good game and beats the Lions, then what?

From what everyone is saying on this board, then Mike White should get his starting job back.  That is where I would not agree.

I’ll take the hypotheticals as they come. Yes, if White can’t go, I’d start Zach. But that’s not out of love for him, that’s about continuing their evaluation of their large investment in him. We all know Flacco is just about retired. 

If Zach gets into a game and plays really well -not just efficiently, but productively- he’ll be difficult to get out of the starting lineup. I agree. But clearly, that’s just another hypothetical at this point. He hasn’t been productive since one quarter against Pittsburgh. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I am not sure .. Zack was essentially near Sanchez broken ... I think the reset was a smart move and also would not be upset if ZW doesn't enter into the conversation until Training Camp .. where he either destroys the competition or continues to sit.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

That’s a fair point.
It’s just so bizarre how it went from the Miami game, “ the drive “ to beat buffalo to basically the hackenberg situation which is don’t play him under any circumstances.  

Mike White should start the rest of this season.  He has proven to be a much better quarterback than Zach Wilson in nearly all facets.

Zach Wilson should be elevated to gameday backup quarterback.  He at least gives the Jets a viable threat on offense should White go down with injury, which is a rather frequent occurrence.  Flacco is very much done and played a big role in the Jets loss yesterday despite playing only a handful of snaps.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I’ll take the hypotheticals as they come. Yes, if White can’t go, I’d start Zach. But that’s not out of love for him, that’s about continuing their evaluation of their large investment in him. We all know Flacco is just about retired. 

If Zach gets into a game and plays really well -not just efficiently, but productively- he’ll be difficult to get out of the starting lineup. I agree. But clearly, that’s just another hypothetical at this point. He hasn’t been productive since one quarter against Pittsburgh. 

What drives me crazy is that after last year's 4-13 season, Joe Douglas and Saleh didn't think to bring in any  real competition for Zach, nor a competent veteran backup QB.  Philly was only too happy to trade back Flacco to the Jets, and the Jets weren't smart enough to see it.  According to Saleh, MW wasn't even good enough to be QB #2 at the beginning of the year, so after Zach, it was Flacco or bust!

• Upvote 1

That’s a fair point.
It’s just so bizarre how it went from the Miami game, “ the drive “ to beat buffalo to basically the hackenberg situation which is don’t play him under any circumstances.  

It is odd for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Who exactly besides us would pay MW a premium salary?

Are there other teams (or even their fans) looking at White as their potential starter next year? Is he even on Minshew’s perceived level? Because when all was said and done, Minshew got a backup gig. 

51 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is not about the future of the Jets, it's about the future of this season.  After the Jets lost to the Patriots the second time, I said that starting Zach Wilson the next game against the Bears was a "no-brainer".  I also said that I wasn't concerned about starting Mike White against the Bears, but I was concerned with him starting after the Bears.

You might be thinking right now that I am just a stupid Jets fan, and you might be right.  I could care less what anyone thinks.  You probably are pointing to the stats, how Mike is getting the entire offense involved, and how everyone loves him on the team.  I don't care about any of that.  I care about wins and losses, and on my scorecard, Zach is 5-2 this season, Mike White is 1-2, and Flacco is 1-2.

Zach, while I will not tell you that he is the future of this team after this year, I believe that he has shown the ability to evade sacks, can move around the pocket, and run when we need him to run.  Mike White is continuing to prove to me that he is a very good back-up QB, but not the guy who will get us to the Super Bowl.  Zach is 5-0 against every opponent he has gone against this season not named the Patriots, and If I were the head coach, I would have started Zach against the Bears (we still would have won the game), and see how he responded after the poor performance against the Patriots.  Let's not forget that he came from behind and got us a win against Buffalo at home, and was gritty in his performance, though not spectacular.

It is disturbing to me how easily Mike White can get Moore and Mims involved in the game, but not Zach.  While this is troubling, I only care about getting the wins right now.  Next year is next year, and I would make it a priority to bring in a established QB to compete with Zach and Mike White, and make it an open competition.

Oh No 90S GIF by Acorn TV

Why do some of you think every random thought that pops in your head deserves it own thread?

It’s not like there aren’t any plenty of others where you could have blown your load, but no… you needed to start another one!

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

That’s a fair point.

I mean, it spiraled out of control pretty quickly. Not just fundamentals but mentally. Saleh was smart to take him out. Wouldn't have gotten any better. Put on top of that, the teams is trying to compete for a playoff spot, you can't wait and hope it clicks at QB.

1 minute ago, MichaelScott said:

After the title I thought to myself, I shouldn't read this post. I'm only going to get aggravated and have less brain cells than when I started. 

I didn't listen to myself...

Now I'm aggravated and I just put my salad in the microwave. 

Well done. ??

My advice to you?  Try to listen to yourself more often!!! lol

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Zach had lost the locker room and the respect of his receivers. Now the team has watched MW’s iron man display yesterday seeing a guy who hangs tough and gets hurt, goes into the locker room, then comes out and continues to play in abysmal weather conditions, that gets you a lot of respect from your teammates. Guys will play even harder for a guy like that.

But if they start Zach again next week I don’t know if the teams plays as hard for him. I would guess the receivers go right back to staring back at Zach with a WTF expression on their faces after each errant throw that goes 5 ft over their head or drops 5 ft in the dirt in front of them.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The difference between beating buffalo at home and losing to them on the road is Josh Allen not throwing interceptions and Michael Carter & Joe Flacco fumbling the ball away. Does anyone honestly think the difference is ZW vs. MW? 

Try to understand the game more than QB A vs. QB B. It's a team sport. 

Quinnen Williams' injury.

2 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

This Detroit game will reveal alot !!

100%.  And actually, every game continues to reveal a lot.  If we only went by the Chicago game, then Mike White should have gotten a huge contract.  Thankfully, the Jets continued to wait and see.  And the next game will continue to reveal more information.

Just now, slats said:

Are there other teams (or even their fans) looking at White as their potential starter next year? Is he even on Minshew’s perceived level? Because when all was said and done, Minshew got a backup gig. 

Nope, I would sincerely doubt it.....outside of a sect of Jets fans no one is even thinking about him LOL. I agree he should be our starter for these last 4 games(and if we're fortunate to have games after that), but some of the opinions of him are inflated....

To your point, Minshew's numbers far eclipses MW's and all he got was the boot for TLaw and a backup gig in Philly

3 minutes ago, slats said:

This is a good question, and I think we need to figure that out the rest of this season. White looked great against the Bears, who are a different level of awful, looked pretty good at times against the Vikings, who got thrashed by the meh Lions, and had a few moments against the Bills, but was largely checking down all game long. 

The jets are done with ZW, so the rest of this year has to be trying to figure out what MW is for next year. We are not going to the playoffs, so need to figure out what MW is. Is he a legit FQB, or is he a good backup, I don't know. 

38 minutes ago, Alka said:

This is not about the future of the Jets, it's about the future of this season.  After the Jets lost to the Patriots the second time, I said that starting Zach Wilson the next game against the Bears was a "no-brainer".  I also said that I wasn't concerned about starting Mike White against the Bears, but I was concerned with him starting after the Bears.

You might be thinking right now that I am just a stupid Jets fan, and you might be right.  I could care less what anyone thinks.  You probably are pointing to the stats, how Mike is getting the entire offense involved, and how everyone loves him on the team.  I don't care about any of that.  I care about wins and losses, and on my scorecard, Zach is 5-2 this season, Mike White is 1-2, and Flacco is 1-2.

Zach, while I will not tell you that he is the future of this team after this year, I believe that he has shown the ability to evade sacks, can move around the pocket, and run when we need him to run.  Mike White is continuing to prove to me that he is a very good back-up QB, but not the guy who will get us to the Super Bowl.  Zach is 5-0 against every opponent he has gone against this season not named the Patriots, and If I were the head coach, I would have started Zach against the Bears (we still would have won the game), and see how he responded after the poor performance against the Patriots.  Let's not forget that he came from behind and got us a win against Buffalo at home, and was gritty in his performance, though not spectacular.

It is disturbing to me how easily Mike White can get Moore and Mims involved in the game, but not Zach.  While this is troubling, I only care about getting the wins right now.  Next year is next year, and I would make it a priority to bring in a established QB to compete with Zach and Mike White, and make it an open competition.

I'll go on record as semi agreeing with you, however I agree with his benching, because he wasn't progressing in his development and continuing to make the same mistakes. He lost the team, especially after that pressor. Let's see how much of his personality changes due to his demotion. What we need to see in Zach's growth is the ability to make quick decisions like MW. He needs to be able to comprehend the entire offense, and be able to read defenses in order to determine before the snap where the ball needs to go. If he can demonstrate that then he can battle come training camp for his starting position back, and to win over this team again. Whether we make the playoffs or not, Zach can't start again unless White can't. I do agree with most that either Strevler or Wilson should be #2 next week, and Flacco sat, but not sure that will happen.

3 minutes ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

Zach had lost the locker room and the respect of his receivers. Now the team has watched MW’s iron man display yesterday seeing a guy who hangs tough and gets hurt, goes into the locker room, then comes out and continues to play in abysmal weather conditions, that gets you a lot of respect from your teammates. Guys will play even harder for a guy like that.

But if they start Zach again next week I don’t know if the teams plays as hard for him. I would guess the receivers go right back to staring back at Zach with a WTF expression on their faces after each errant throw that goes 5 ft over their head or drops 5 ft in the dirt in front of them.

And if the players stare back at Zach, but the Jets win the game with Zach, then what?  Moore wanted a trade after the Jets were winning football games with Zach as QB.  I want wins more than I want the players to love Zach.  And if players won't play hard with Zach as QB, with the Jets continuing to win football games, then I want those players gone.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Alka said:

I care about wins and losses, and on my scorecard, Zach is 5-2 this season, Mike White is 1-2, and Flacco is 1-2.

You do realize that Mike White's losses are against two teams that were 18-5 combined when they faced the Jets, right?  And Mike White had the team in position to win or tie both games with a drive in the final minute of each game.

Is a 1-2 record good?  No, but context does matter and both of the losses were against teams that are the current #1 and #2 seeds in their conference.  He was very much a driving force in making those two games competitive, and if you are being objective, each loss should be attributed to other factors besides the quarterback position.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Alka said:

In all reality it's time to put Zach on IR rather than have him stand on the sidelines in street clothes as a constant reminder as to just how broken he is.  Right now he's a right-handed Tim Tebow.  May play another game as a Jet and he may not.  But if he does, it shouldn't be this year.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't disagree with you.  But, as a long suffering Jets fan, I want excitement this season, and I feel that Zach would have given us that.  

Put it this way, if the Jets beat Detroit with Mike White, then the argument to continue with Mike would be the correct one.  If Mike White and the Jets lose to Detroit, then you watch and see how many Jets fans want to turn back to Zach! Only then it will be too late for this season.

So if the Jets lose to Detroit on Sunday in a barn burner of a game  - say 38-35 - and White throws for 350 yards and 3TDs, but the defense has a bad game, you move to Wilson because the Jets lost?  Again, this is not tennis.  There are 44 other players out there that effect the game. 

• Upvote 1

A few thoughts:

1. Not sure why Jets weren't three deep on active QBs, especially given their injury history. I've seen plenty of NFL games through the years (not a ton of course) where teams needed to go to their 3rd option.

2. Given how Flacco has looked, and given this is a building/figure-it-out year, why not have Zach and Strev as the back ups. I get that Zach is being punished, but this team needs to make some QB decisions in the next few months and move forward. I think there's a good chance MW and ZW are on the team next fall, so keep playing them both. If Strev has a future with the team, get him in there. 

3. No need to start Zach again this season if MW can go. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The difference between beating buffalo at home and losing to them on the road is Josh Allen not throwing interceptions and Michael Carter & Joe Flacco fumbling the ball away. Does anyone honestly think the difference is ZW vs. MW? 

Try to understand the game more than QB A vs. QB B. It's a team sport. 

It amazes me how many dudes here watch this league every week, claim to know the game but dont see the plainly obvious. 

The kid is a healthy scratch right now, wtf else do you need to know about the situation? 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

In all reality it's time to put Zach on IR rather than have him stand on the sidelines in street clothes as a constant reminder as to just how broken he is.  Right now he's a right-handed Tim Tebow.  May play another game as a Jet and he may not.  But if he does, it shouldn't be this year.

Don't think he can practice if he's on IR. Would lose those scout team reps. Unless i'm wrong.