It's time to start Zach Wilson again!

Alka

3 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

For any people who think Zach should be starting right now(I won't even call them Zach supporters, since I view myself as a Zach supporter in that I WANT him to succeed and be our long-term franchise QB), isn't it pretty telling that the kid is still benched with a 5-2 record after we have lost 2 straight with our backup?

That should tell you how biblically bad this kid was in that New England game.  Both New England games, to be honest. 

Fact of the matter is, unless Zach somehow magically makes our OL better(maybe you could argue due to his mobility, but that's a stretch considering how many times he was blasted against NE), or magically makes MC hold onto the ball, or magically keeps Mosley onside during that 4th down play....I just don't see how him playing makes ANY difference.  That's even assuming he has one of his "omg he didn't turn the ball over and threw for 150 yards!!! This kid is the real deal!!" type of games.  More likely he throws 2 picks, can't move the ball(we saw him in "bad" weather against NE...I cringe at the thought of him playing in those conditions yesterday), and we get blown tf out instead of lose by one score.   

I respect your opinion, and I agree something is terribly wrong with the fact that Zach is still benched after 2 straight losses.  Zach has also proven to play badly in "bad" weather games, as you have stated.

But, I'll tell you what.  I think from watching the game yesterday, that a big difference in the outcome was due to Josh Allen's ability to run with the ball.  An ability that Mike White lacks, but one that Zach has, albeit nowhere nearly as good as Josh Allen. We can parse the game apart, but stats and individual plays only tell one part of the story.  we just really don't know if Zach would have folded yesterday or not, or if his presence would have changed anything.  I agree we still would have probably lost the game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

This is not about the future of the Jets, it's about the future of this season.  After the Jets lost to the Patriots the second time, I said that starting Zach Wilson the next game against the Bears was a "no-brainer".  I also said that I wasn't concerned about starting Mike White against the Bears, but I was concerned with him starting after the Bears.

You might be thinking right now that I am just a stupid Jets fan, and you might be right.  I could care less what anyone thinks.  You probably are pointing to the stats, how Mike is getting the entire offense involved, and how everyone loves him on the team.  I don't care about any of that.  I care about wins and losses, and on my scorecard, Zach is 5-2 this season, Mike White is 1-2, and Flacco is 1-2.

Zach, while I will not tell you that he is the future of this team after this year, I believe that he has shown the ability to evade sacks, can move around the pocket, and run when we need him to run.  Mike White is continuing to prove to me that he is a very good back-up QB, but not the guy who will get us to the Super Bowl.  Zach is 5-0 against every opponent he has gone against this season not named the Patriots, and If I were the head coach, I would have started Zach against the Bears (we still would have won the game), and see how he responded after the poor performance against the Patriots.  Let's not forget that he came from behind and got us a win against Buffalo at home, and was gritty in his performance, though not spectacular.

It is disturbing to me how easily Mike White can get Moore and Mims involved in the game, but not Zach.  While this is troubling, I only care about getting the wins right now.  Next year is next year, and I would make it a priority to bring in a established QB to compete with Zach and Mike White, and make it an open competition.

You are certainly entitled to your view but part if the question has to be did Zach learn how to read a defense and keep his eyes downfield in the two weeks he has been inactive?

your correct he is better at avoiding sacks although unfortunately by running backwards but without the above two corrected, it simply does not matter

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

This is not about the future of the Jets, it's about the future of this season.  After the Jets lost to the Patriots the second time, I said that starting Zach Wilson the next game against the Bears was a "no-brainer".  I also said that I wasn't concerned about starting Mike White against the Bears, but I was concerned with him starting after the Bears.

You might be thinking right now that I am just a stupid Jets fan, and you might be right.  I could care less what anyone thinks.  You probably are pointing to the stats, how Mike is getting the entire offense involved, and how everyone loves him on the team.  I don't care about any of that.  I care about wins and losses, and on my scorecard, Zach is 5-2 this season, Mike White is 1-2, and Flacco is 1-2.

Zach, while I will not tell you that he is the future of this team after this year, I believe that he has shown the ability to evade sacks, can move around the pocket, and run when we need him to run.  Mike White is continuing to prove to me that he is a very good back-up QB, but not the guy who will get us to the Super Bowl.  Zach is 5-0 against every opponent he has gone against this season not named the Patriots, and If I were the head coach, I would have started Zach against the Bears (we still would have won the game), and see how he responded after the poor performance against the Patriots.  Let's not forget that he came from behind and got us a win against Buffalo at home, and was gritty in his performance, though not spectacular.

It is disturbing to me how easily Mike White can get Moore and Mims involved in the game, but not Zach.  While this is troubling, I only care about getting the wins right now.  Next year is next year, and I would make it a priority to bring in a established QB to compete with Zach and Mike White, and make it an open competition.

while i agree that wilson's mobility is a big plus, he was making the wrong throws or trying to get too much on many plays.  he was using his legs to avoid the rush too much instead of staying in the pocket and letting the oline do its job.  maybe, if he's ready, he should be elevated to back up, but until white has one of those no points multi int games or the offense stalls and goes too many three and outs he should be the starter.

• Upvote 1

Please no for the good of the team Zach should not see the field again this year. Promote Strevler to backup knock Flacco to emergency QB. 
Let Zach basically red shirt the rest of the his sophomore year for his own good as well and hope that this respite will get his footwork and mechanics corrected. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

while i agree that wilson's mobility is a big plus

this is the one indisputable element ZW brings to the table that the other non-Strev QB's don't

unfortunately, he tends to run backwards or laterally way more than he goes forward

it's like putting a weapon in the hands of somebody who doesn't know how to use it

and he hasn't been drilled on efficient movement WITHIN the pocket

his first instinct is always to flee it entirely

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

No....its not.

That was easy, 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Okay, let's talk about common ground.  If Zach is the backup against Detroit, and Mike starts, all good.  What happens when Mike continues to get drilled in the ribs against the Lions, and that continues to affect his play?  Will you quickly insert Zach?  How about if Mike is only about 50% healthy coming up this week?  Should he start over our #2 QB, Zach?  

If we are talking about common ground, then Zach must be an option, depending on how healthy Mike is this week, and if Mike starts, should be evaluated on if Mike's presence is either hurting or helping the jets win the game.

If White is clearly hurting in the Lions game and it’s affecting his play then yes you pull him for Wilson. What exactly are you trying to prove here?

While I don't agree with him - the OP does make some very good points.

• Jets are probably still 1-2 with Zach instead of White, ultimately if we're not getting more wins than why not play one with FQB potential?
  • Mike White does seem to be limited.  I think after the Bears game there was a lot of reason for optimism, but he's come down to earth a bit each of the past two weeks.  He had a good second half against MN. and struggled a lot against Buffalo.  He might not be the franchise guy we had hoped was possible to carry this team the next couple of years.  
  • Don't get me wrong - Mike White was fine - played well, kept the team in games against two tough opponents - but didn't finish when the team needed him to.  Other than the Pats, Zach did seem to come up with big drives every time he needed them.  

So again, I think Zach is done and should be shut down for the year - White should absolutely start the rest of the year, move Strev. to 2 (I don't want to see Joe Flacco take another snap for the NY Jets)

But I can absolutely understand where @Alka is coming from.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

My argument is that Mike White lost both of those games starting QB, and with Zach, we will never know, will we?  But we do know that he was 5-2, and as far as I'm concerned, deserved to continue to start, at least against the Bears, and see how he would have responded after the Patriots loss.

I think you're argument has merit.  The reason I disagree is because Zach lost the starting job.  There seems to be a combination of reasons for why he lost the job.  None of us are really privy to the reasons but it seems clear it was a combination of performance, mechanics, a lack of leadership and possibly he didn't get back to work after the bye in a serious manner needed to make the kind of playoff push the team needed and that pissed off his teammates.  Frankly if true it pisses me off as a fan.  I couldn't be more invested in beating the crap out of the Pats.  Mailing it in against the Pats from my POV is a slap the sh*t out of you offense.   The point is MW didn't take his job.  Zach lost his job and earned his seat on the bench.

I happen to agree with you Mike White while playing well hasn't really moved the needle in terms of wins.  That said he hasn't lost the job.  Zach will get a shot if Mike gets hurt or he deserves to sit.   I think a random decision to hand Zach the job back without Mike White playing terribly would be a huge issue. 

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I realize that I am in the minority.  I understand how you feel. I want results, before the season is gone.  Zach gave us more of the results that Jets fans really care about, and that's wins.

Zach didn’t give the jets wins - the team won.  Zach was a passenger in those games. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The difference between beating buffalo at home and losing to them on the road is Josh Allen not throwing interceptions and Michael Carter & Joe Flacco fumbling the ball away. Does anyone honestly think the difference is ZW vs. MW? 

Try to understand the game more than QB A vs. QB B. It's a team sport. 

Joe Flacco doesn't get a snap if ZW is in because he can move and will move.  

3 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Zach is not putting the work in, on the field or in the film room. The players and coaches see it. That's why he "lost the locker room" and is inactive every week. Kid needs to figure out if his heart is in it. We know MFW's is.

There is not a single story claiming this - in fact every report is the opposite.  

No one has questioned his work ethic.  Attack his play - it's often justified, tell me he shouldn't have said "no" in a press conference, I'll agree.

But we shouldn't be making sh*t up just to pile on.

• Upvote 2

From the neck down Zack is clearly the most talented arm on the team. But keeping him sidelined until August is probably the right call.

But unfortunately, circumstances, the NFL, and its fans rarely allow teams to make the right call. ZW could be named BUQB, no one would be surprised. Which means with Mike's ribs, ZW could be back under center sooner rather than later, even if keeping him on ice is the 'right call'.

3 hours ago, Alka said:

you are the bravest man on the internet

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:
  • ets are probably still 1-2 with Zach instead of White, ultimately if we're not getting more wins than why not play one with FQB potential?
  • Mike White does seem to be limited.  I think after the Bears game there was a lot of reason for optimism, but he's come down to earth a bit each of the past two weeks.  He had a good second half against MN. and struggled a lot against Buffalo.  He might not be the franchise guy we had hoped was possible to carry this team the next couple of years.  

This is exactly how I feel!  Your 2 points is exactly where my head is at.  Even without Mike's limitations, his toughness to stand in the pocket and take hits the way he has does not bode well for his ability to stay on the field in the long run.  Even without his ability to run, if he could just move around the pocket more to evade some of those hits, it would be beneficial for his longevity.

We all saw what Mike could do against a bad Bears team, and it was quite impressive, if I do say so myself.  For me to have more confidence in him, he really needs to step up against an up and coming Lions team and get the next win.  If he can do that, then I feel there's hope.  He needs to seal the deal, and get those touchdowns when the Jets are in the "red zone".  Unfortunately, Mike can't do that with his feet.  I've seen Zach use his body as a torpedo and throw himself over the goal line to score touchdowns.  I just don't see that in Mike.  Everyone talks about Mike's toughness, but Zach is also tough.  It just seems that no one wants to talk about that right now.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, WILLY said:

You Can't be serious?

After watching his press interview, it seems that Mike is saying that he is good and ready to roll!  If he's healthy, then it's Mike White against the Lions.  I hope Zach is elevated to #2, in case Mike gets drilled again.  Either that, or maybe he can try to protect himself a little better?