It's time to start Zach Wilson again!

Alka

On 12/12/2022 at 11:02 AM, Alka said:

This is not about the future of the Jets, it's about the future of this season.  After the Jets lost to the Patriots the second time, I said that starting Zach Wilson the next game against the Bears was a "no-brainer".  I also said that I wasn't concerned about starting Mike White against the Bears, but I was concerned with him starting after the Bears.

You might be thinking right now that I am just a stupid Jets fan, and you might be right.  I could care less what anyone thinks.  You probably are pointing to the stats, how Mike is getting the entire offense involved, and how everyone loves him on the team.  I don't care about any of that.  I care about wins and losses, and on my scorecard, Zach is 5-2 this season, Mike White is 1-2, and Flacco is 1-2.

Zach, while I will not tell you that he is the future of this team after this year, I believe that he has shown the ability to evade sacks, can move around the pocket, and run when we need him to run.  Mike White is continuing to prove to me that he is a very good back-up QB, but not the guy who will get us to the Super Bowl.  Zach is 5-0 against every opponent he has gone against this season not named the Patriots, and If I were the head coach, I would have started Zach against the Bears (we still would have won the game), and see how he responded after the poor performance against the Patriots.  Let's not forget that he came from behind and got us a win against Buffalo at home, and was gritty in his performance, though not spectacular.

It is disturbing to me how easily Mike White can get Moore and Mims involved in the game, but not Zach.  While this is troubling, I only care about getting the wins right now.  Next year is next year, and I would make it a priority to bring in a established QB to compete with Zach and Mike White, and make it an open competition.

giphy.gif.19372af318a4b8db304f161b56b6558c.gif

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Jokes aside, they have been average. 

All jokes aside .. i agree ... around 20/32 by my eye test. I'm sure that stats have them higher. But they almost got White killed and had ZW running for his life.

Edited by Dunnie

On 12/12/2022 at 11:49 AM, Alka said:

And if the players stare back at Zach, but the Jets win the game with Zach, then what?  Moore wanted a trade after the Jets were winning football games with Zach as QB.  I want wins more than I want the players to love Zach.  And if players won't play hard with Zach as QB, with the Jets continuing to win football games, then I want those players gone.  

I’m not sure how we win the game (I guess purely with our running game?), because if the receivers are once again staring back at Zach it means once again Zach is throwing the ball 5 ft over their heads or 5 ft in the dirt at their feet so they won’t be making any completions . . . which is exactly what happened in Zach’s last game he had less completions than we had punts.

So we would have to get rid of all of our receivers (including our running backs who Zach could not successfully throw a screen pass to either) because they are not giving Zach the proper respect he is due?

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, Alka said:

So, the worst QB by far on this team is Zach, and he is 5-2 this year, while the other 2 QB's are a combined 2-4?  This game is about results, and the results don't match your argument.

You do realize other players, other opponents factor in ? Or just being a huge troll. Mike Wilson’s stats are significantly better across the board. Zach had about the worst stats across the board in entire NFL. Defensive definitely bailed him out many times and therefore jets still won despite his poor stats. but Wilson was just too horrible in two Pat games. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2022 at 2:48 PM, Alka said:

It wasn't remotely close who won the game for us?  Excuse me, but the Jets were down 14-3 at one point.  Did the defense score those points to tie it up at 17-17?  

I'm not going to argue with dumb statements that the D won the game and it wasn't even close.  Yes, the D was great.  Yes, the offensive line was great, and the running backs were great.  And Zach Wilson was solid, he led the offense, and threw ZERO picks for the game.  

If you want to engage me, then give me intelligent statements, and I will acknowledge them.  But to say that the defense won the game, and it wasn't even Close is garbage.  If Josh Allen was the Jets QB that day, and the Jets somehow pulled out a victory, I would maybe consider your statement.  Josh was as much to blame as our defense was to be given credit.  Still, we were down 14-3, and the defense didn't score the points to get it to 17-17.  Give me an F--ing break, okay?

Why do you think we were down 14-3? Just because he was the QB doesn’t mean HE won’t the game. He scored 20 points in a game where the D was outstanding and got us 2 turnovers. You can’t possibly suggest a QB that got us 20 points and 150 odd passing yards in such circumstances was the reason we won and not the D creating turnovers and keeping an NFLs elite offense to just 17 points. Josh Allen, by your own admission, looked terrible. Surely that wasn’t because Milf Wilson was lighting all the passing records on fire that evening. 

His best game was average at best and that’s being generous. Speaking of intelligence, don’t bring me the 14-3 nonsense. That’s not really a hole when it’s just the 2nd quarter. 

154 passing yards, 1 TD = HoF worthy performance! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Why do you think we were down 14-3? Just because he was the QB doesn’t mean HE won’t the game. He scored 20 points in a game where the D was outstanding and got us 2 turnovers. You can’t possibly suggest a QB that got us 20 points and 150 odd passing yards in such circumstances was the reason we won and not the D creating turnovers and keeping an NFLs elite offense to just 17 points. Josh Allen, by your own admission, looked terrible. Surely that wasn’t because Milf Wilson was lighting all the passing records on fire that evening. 

His best game was average at best and that’s being generous. Speaking of intelligence, don’t bring me the 14-3 nonsense. That’s not really a hole when it’s just the 2nd quarter. 

154 passing yards, 1 TD = HoF worthy performance! 

Yes quite the worthy HoF performance!.......To come back after trailing 14-10 at half time and lead that awesome 19 yard scoring drive after Sauce picked off Allen.......Then the arm talent to account for 7 yards on the last 13 play 86 yard drive for the FG near the end of the game, awe inspiring........;)

On 12/12/2022 at 11:38 AM, Alka said:

What drives me crazy is that after last year's 4-13 season, Joe Douglas and Saleh didn't think to bring in any  real competition for Zach, nor a competent veteran backup QB.  Philly was only too happy to trade back Flacco to the Jets, and the Jets weren't smart enough to see it.  According to Saleh, MW wasn't even good enough to be QB #2 at the beginning of the year, so after Zach, it was Flacco or bust!

I don't think that's totally correct. At that time there was hope that Zach could work out. We were going to play him this entire season to evaluate  him. We expected him to show progress. Nobody foresaw the implosion we witnessed. What doesn't make sense to me is Zach actually being an option at QB right now. The only reason he isn't being waived is his draft status. I mean if we started Strev and he played as bad as Zach has even showing the same flashes and had the same implosion, is he an option? 

I don't think that's totally correct. At that time there was hope that Zach could work out. We were going to play him this entire season to evaluate  him. We expected him to show progress. Nobody foresaw the implosion we witnessed. What doesn't make sense to me is Zach actually being an option at QB right now. The only reason he isn't being waived is his draft status. I mean if we started Strev and he played as bad as Zach has even showing the same flashes and had the same implosion, is he an option? 
C'mon man .. he's not being waived because they believe in his immense raw talent. Period .. end of story. Huge upside .. small if any downside.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

On 12/12/2022 at 11:42 AM, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

Zach had lost the locker room and the respect of his receivers. Now the team has watched MW’s iron man display yesterday seeing a guy who hangs tough and gets hurt, goes into the locker room, then comes out and continues to play in abysmal weather conditions, that gets you a lot of respect from your teammates. Guys will play even harder for a guy like that.

But if they start Zach again next week I don’t know if the teams plays as hard for him. I would guess the receivers go right back to staring back at Zach with a WTF expression on their faces after each errant throw that goes 5 ft over their head or drops 5 ft in the dirt in front of them.

After reading this, I cringe at the thought of Zach coming in and sailing a ball over an open WR's head. 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:47 AM, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Strevler should be elevated b4 zach. Zach shouldn’t see the field this year. Let’s see if he learned anything next preseason

This I agree with. I really don't believe Zach was benched due to his performance. I actually think there was something he said during the meeting with Saleh that was last straw. Sort of a Kanye moment where Kanye said Adidas can't drop me even if I say antisemitic things and then he was dropped. Zach probably said something like Saleh couldn't bench him and Saleh just had enough. I really think putting him on the scout team was a punishment. This is how far down the ladder you are going. 

Saleh should just follow through and keep him on the bench. You don't want to play Flacco. Fine. Waive Flacco and pick up Cam Newton. I don't  see any benefit at all in starting Zach again this season. 

17 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

C'mon man .. he's not being waived because they believe in his immense raw talent. Period .. end of story. Huge upside .. small if any downside.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The downside  is immense.  ThebJets have a huge investment in him. If Mike White works out, the downside in mitigated because he cost next to nothing.  And other than Zachs arm, what other talent is there? He is a bad decision  maker, his footwork is terrible,  he can't  throw on the run, he has no pocket presence,  he is afraid of pressure, and even though he can run, he does it so rarely, does anyone actually gameplan to keep Zach in the pocket? At least when Allen started, you had to respect his running ability if not his arm. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2022 at 11:49 AM, Alka said:

And if the players stare back at Zach, but the Jets win the game with Zach, then what?  Moore wanted a trade after the Jets were winning football games with Zach as QB.  I want wins more than I want the players to love Zach.  And if players won't play hard with Zach as QB, with the Jets continuing to win football games, then I want those players gone.  

A whole lot of things will have to go right for Zach to win this game. The Lions are not a bad team. This isn't  a gimme. 

On 12/12/2022 at 12:04 PM, Alka said:

Yes, the Jets look much better operating with Mike White as QB.  Yes, this is the ultimate team sport, and yes, the Jets lost at least for sure the 2nd Patriots encounter due to poor QB play.  And yes, counting wins and losses are a simplistic view of football, and can be a red herring in evaluating QB's.  

I agree with all of that.  Still, the QB position is still the most important position on the field, and that is proven over and over again by what they get paid, and where they get drafted, and what teams will trade for them.  And the Jets operated very well with Zach as QB when he helped beat the Bills at home in a very gritty performance.  And that was just 1 game removed from his bad performance agasint the Patriots.  

Right now, it is my argument that Zach needs to get back on the field, and see if he can play the way he did against the Bills, and help the Jets get to the playoffs this year.  I believe that now is the right time to go back to him.  Mike is hurt, and if he starts, the defense will be aiming to take shots at his ribs.  I don't want a gutty performance from Mike, I want a win, now!  Zach is the guy.

I mean are you insane? I can't  think of another reason for writing this. Preform the way he did against the Bills? 154 yards and 1 TD? How many games does that win without a lights out defense and a punishing run game. You are basically asking every facet of the team to have games of the year for the rest of the season in order to play Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2022 at 12:15 PM, Alka said:

You do realize that Zach was the QB when the Jets beat the now 10-3 Buffalo Bills.  You do realize that the Jets were losing by 10 points in that game, right?  And you do realize that the Jets were underdogs in every single one of the 5 games that Zach started and won for the Jets this year, right?  

I'm being objective, but I feel that not many others are right now.  Fans just want to move on with Mike White.  I am not feeling that way.  I realize that the jets would hot have won those 5 games if the rest of the team were not much improved.  I get that.  But Zach was a part of those wins, and I like the sound of 5-2, as opposed to 1-2. Perhaps it's time to give Zach another shot.  Mike is hurting, and Zach is healthy.  We need a win against Detroit.  Zach should be the guy to get us that win.

Awkward Cat GIF by Abitan

On 12/12/2022 at 12:23 PM, Alka said:

Okay, let's talk about common ground.  If Zach is the backup against Detroit, and Mike starts, all good.  What happens when Mike continues to get drilled in the ribs against the Lions, and that continues to affect his play?  Will you quickly insert Zach?  How about if Mike is only about 50% healthy coming up this week?  Should he start over our #2 QB, Zach?  

If we are talking about common ground, then Zach must be an option, depending on how healthy Mike is this week, and if Mike starts, should be evaluated on if Mike's presence is either hurting or helping the jets win the game.

50% MW > 100% ZW

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I mean are you insane? I can't  think of another reason for writing this. Preform the way he did against the Bills? 154 yards and 1 TD? How many games does that win without a lights out defense and a punishing run game. You are basically asking every facet of the team to have games of the year for the rest of the season in order to play Wilson. 

That 2 yard pass to the rb on the designed screen for the td in the home bills game was mahvelous 

Could any other qb in the history of football do that? Maybe Montana I suppose 

I said at the beginning of the thread that's it was time to start Zach Wilson again, and what do you know?  We're starting Zach Wilson again!!!  Just like I said!!

I felt the Jets would lose with Mike White, but now I feel that the Jets will win the game this Sunday!!

Of course, after the Jets win this week, many will say that it was because our defense is great, or our running game took over the game.  And on, and on and on.

After Sunday, Zach Wilson will be 6-2 on the year, and the rest of the QB's will be 2-4 on the year.

I'm not saying that Zach is the savior.  I'm not saying that Zach will be the QB of the future.  I'm saying that for now, for this year, Zach needs to be the guy.

No need to respond.  The result of the game will speak volumes.  It's about wins and losses.  The team will win on Sunday with Zach running the offense.  

Thank you very much!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

I said at the beginning of the thread that's it was time to start Zach Wilson again, and what do you know?  We're starting Zach Wilson again!!!  Just like I said!!

I felt the Jets would lose with Mike White, but now I feel that the Jets will win the game this Sunday!!

Of course, after the Jets win this week, many will say that it was because our defense is great, or our running game took over the game.  And on, and on and on.

After Sunday, Zach Wilson will be 6-2 on the year, and the rest of the QB's will be 2-4 on the year.

I'm not saying that Zach is the savior.  I'm not saying that Zach will be the QB of the future.  I'm saying that for now, for this year, Zach needs to be the guy.

No need to respond.  The result of the game will speak volumes.  It's about wins and losses.  The team will win on Sunday with Zach running the offense.  

Thank you very much!!

They may very well win, but somehow, I doubt it's going to be because of Zach Wilson. Just like he wasn't really the reason the Jets were 5-2 in his starts either. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

They may very well win, but somehow, I doubt it's going to be because of Zach Wilson. Just like he wasn't really the reason the Jets were 5-2 in his starts either. 

This is exactly what most other Jets fans will say after the Jets win on Sunday.  What every other Jets fan should do after they read your post, is they should just Upvote, so not to waste valuable time repeating what you just said.

5 hours ago, Alka said:

Thank you very much!!

Zach Wilson, is bad at football. Almost historically bad.