Brian DaBoll Or Robert Saleh?

DKBxJets

When we carefully combing through heach coach candidates we ultimately decided Robert Saleh was our guy and it's looking like we finally have our guy to get us to the playoffs and in the next year or two a super bowl. What if we selected Giants head coach Brian DaBoll instead? Didn't want to get too indepth with this right off the bat but the Giants have seen a career revival with QB Daniel Jones where Robert Saleh has led a defensive revival and a competent offense most week. Would you have taken Brian DaBoll and him molding QB Zach Wilson to greatness behind a dominant offense or would you double down with Robert Saleh and the elite defense he's created?

Robert Saleh

Offense: Ranked 22nd

Defense: Ranked 5th

Offensive DVOA: 19th

Defensive DVOA: 6th

Brian DaBoll

Offense: Ranked 20th

Defense: Ranked 20th

Offensive DVOA: 14th

Defensive DVOA: 29th

• More Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Giants currently in the playoffs, Jets currently out of the playoffs.

Giants are also in an easier conference, but are last in their division like the Jets are and have been blown out twice in the last 4 weeks.

For both teams it seems so far the coach they were getting has turned out pretty close to what they hoped. 

• Upvote 3

I loved Dabol as 1A and Saleh as 1B when they both interviewed for the job.  Dabol had the track record of turning programs around over the years and helped develop QB's that had "Accuracy Issues"

I'm equally impressed with how our defense is playing under Saleh.

At this stage, Im confident in both teams made the right decision. 

• Upvote 4

Tough question as both coaches were saddled with rosters that lacked any real talent and were in salary cap hell. Daboll and staff did an excellent job in the beginning of the year as they played a rather soft schedule but as the competition got harder and injuries occurred they being exposed as a bottom rung team. Saleh had the same situation with a much harder schedule but as talent improved he can be more accurately assessed and he and his staff are doing very well with such a young roster 

Now maybe another thread would be a better question is who would you rather have,  the combination of JD / Saleh or Schoen / Daboll to rebuild both squads? As of now it’s JD as he’s done an excellent job in my opinion with the trades he has made getting premium draft picks for players he didn’t want to rebuild roster which accelerated in getting high end talent and building depth the likes we’ve haven’t seen in quite some time Schoen is still too early to tell 

• Upvote 2

I liked Daboll at the time, particularly for his ability to bring along a QB while using his mobility to be competitive. The thought was Fields at the time, and I imagine with how Fields has looked and what Daboll has done with a bad Giants roster that might have gone pretty well.

That said, I’m a fan of Saleh so far.

Just now, derp said:

I liked Daboll at the time, particularly for his ability to bring along a QB while using his mobility to be competitive. The thought was Fields at the time, and I imagine with how Fields has looked and what Daboll has done with a bad Giants roster that might have gone pretty well.

That said, I’m a fan of Saleh so far.

Daboll looks good right now because Joe judge was such a horrible head coach.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

7 hours ago, DKBxJets said:

When we carefully combing through heach coach candidates we ultimately decided Robert Saleh was our guy and it's looking like we finally have our guy to get us to the playoffs and in the next year or two a super bowl. What if we selected Giants head coach Brian DaBoll instead? Didn't want to get too indepth with this right off the bat but the Giants have seen a career revival with QB Daniel Jones where Robert Saleh has led a defensive revival and a competent offense most week. Would you have taken Brian DaBoll and him molding QB Zach Wilson to greatness behind a dominant offense or would you double down with Robert Saleh and the elite defense he's created?

Robert Saleh

Brian DaBoll

They both did a great job this year.  There is a ton of fire in both of them.  I don't see DaBoll in action much but I do pay attention to Saleh.  For that reason I'm still rolling with Saleh.  Don't forget - Saleh isn't sh*t without Douglas.  Douglas did a hell of a job in the draft this year.

8 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

They both did a great job this year.  There is a ton of fire in both of them.  I don't see DaBoll in action much but I do pay attention to Saleh.  For that reason I'm still rolling with Saleh.  Don't forget - Saleh isn't sh*t without Douglas.  Douglas did a hell of a job in the draft this year.

I really hope Douglas is what we’ve seen after the Zach pick. It’s hard to overcome drafting the biggest bust in franchise history but he’s been money since then.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I like Daboll. I wanted the Jets to hire him after they fired Gase. But he's being incredibly overrated by the New York media right now. They did get off to a great start and he deserves a ton of credit for that but they are fading now and the excuses are piling on about how his roster is no good. Saleh was getting rightfully destroyed last year when the Jets got blown out by the Patriots, and some of the other games they were non competitive in. The Eagles walk into MetLife and almost drop 50 on the Giants and I don't see the same venom from the media. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, DKBxJets said:

Robert Saleh

Brian DaBoll

I think it's apples and oranges as far as the two QBs trajectory. Jones for all his faults was really only turning the ball over way too much. He didn't  have all the fundamental  problems Zach has displayed like lack of touch and bad footwork. Also Jones pocket presence is much better than Zachs. Zachs pocket presence  is to take a snap in shotgun and drop an addition 7 or 8 yards  after the snap. Daboll only had to really deal with the TO problem and Jones looks competent.  Zach is a way different reclamation  project. He needs to go back to square 1 and start over. The other thing is, Zach is horrible throwing on the run. His accuracy  goes out the window. That is a major issue because all we heard about was how good he was with off platform stuff pre-draft. If Zach does not set his feet before a throw, only God knows where that ball is going. I think Saleh is doing the right thing. He is breaking Zach down to nothing with the benching and inactive. As bad as Flacco looks, I think they put Strev in as the 2 before they activate Zach. Saleh wants Zach totally broken so he can build him up from scratch. It's  just so different as far as the QB thing, nobody really knows how Daboll would have handled it. 

29 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I like Daboll. I wanted the Jets to hire him after they fired Gase. But he's being incredibly overrated by the New York media right now. They did get off to a great start and he deserves a ton of credit for that but they are fading now and the excuses are piling on about how his roster is no good. Saleh was getting rightfully destroyed last year when the Jets got blown out by the Patriots, and some of the other games they were non competitive in. The Eagles walk into MetLife and almost drop 50 on the Giants and I don't see the same venom from the media. 

It's  becaise Daboll had some success. Saleh had none last season.

38 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Not a great measuring stick. The Bucs are currently in the playoffs and they have a losing record, as well as the majority of teams on the bubble in the NFC. 

The Bucs aren't  making the playoffs. They are terrible. They made the last player taken in the draft look like the second coming of Montana. 

Daboll has the QB magic. On his way to being the highest-paid HC in football.

Saleh has settled in and seems to be doing a fine job. Few weeks ago he was a favorite for coach of the year. He could still get there if he gets this team into the dance.

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The Bucs aren't  making the playoffs. They are terrible. They made the last player taken in the draft look like the second coming of Montana. 

on this topic, anyone else see this on bucs mnf win? they were floundering (before tb's last second comeback) and the booth shaded bowles big time, showing arians up in the box and saying how much the team missed him as hc. ouch.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Daboll doing a great job with the crappy roster. 

Propping up Daniel Jones while having zero pass catching talent. 

Not sure Saleh could win as many games with that roster. 

I don't think Saleh wins as many games with that roster and I still think I would prefer him.  Saleh seems more like a tone and attitude guy.  He getst the team where he wants them.  He is not an idiot, but he also isn't one of those savant coordinators that makes something out of nothing but can't run a team.  Rex was the extreme end of that IMO.  I like Daboll and think both can be good, but I think I would prefer to have Salah at this poing (and I am someone that probably preferred Daboll when we were hiring)

The fact that the Jets seem to be in a better place isn't really fair to DaBoll.  Douglas has been here since 2019 and Saleh had 2 full offseasons.  Daboll is just resetting that team now.  OTOH, Saleh did not go for the cheap quick jump.  Seems like a slow and steady build that will hopefully last...  

• Upvote 1