Is Sauce The Best CB In The League Already??

BurntDice

59 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

PFF is garbage.

Eh I see them as a good place to look and pair with others to help form an opinion. For FA that I don’t know jack about I’ll go there and check out different grades then watch some YouTube videos and check out some stats. They definitely shouldn’t be the only place you look and form an opinion soley based on that. 

• Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Eh holds too much.

I think he has like 2 holding penalties.  Holding and knowing where the line is that day forms a core trait of the very best corners. Not only is Sauce likely the best corner this year his season stacks up well to the best seasons of the last 15 years.

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2022 at 1:12 PM, johnnysd said:

The thing that might hurt Sauce short term and drop his ranking/reputation for a little while is that Buffalo basically Revis-ed him Sunday and if teams start doing that his lack of production because no one is throwing at him will affect the perception of his stats.

Yeah, but I say let them Revis him. Stats be damned!

On 12/15/2022 at 1:12 PM, johnnysd said:

The thing that might hurt Sauce short term and drop his ranking/reputation for a little while is that Buffalo basically Revis-ed him Sunday and if teams start doing that his lack of production because no one is throwing at him will affect the perception of his stats.

I view that as a GOOD thing. I know you do too. And I also know there are a lot of other who won't...because, you know, stats. But if he makes it a consistent thing- being 'Revis-ed'. He will end up in the HOF. 

I think a couple of things people need to understand about Sauce and the way he plays.

1. He is handsy. But he is very good at not impeding the receivers way. This is legal. So he doesn't get penalized a lot. I thing he actually gets a rep for playing handsy but not committing penalties so refs know not to throw the flag 'willy-nilly' on him. Which is impressive. 

2. No. He doesn't always look back at the ball. But that is a technique. Its not because he doesn't know what he is doing or because is 'doing something wrong'. You can either look back at the ball. Or you can 'play the man'. Its a lot harder to play the man. You have to time the ball perfectly based on the reaction of the WR and defend without committing a penalty based off that. And its all about timing. Its very hard. But Sauce has a knack for it. Its just one more thing that makes him so special. It helps that he has long a** arms. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Has a rookie CB ever had as good of a season as Sauce is having?

I seriously doubt it, but there is a good chance someone that is not that famous maybe because of injuries or something had a better rookie season. But certainly not in recent memory his season ranks right up there with the 3 best seasons over the last 15 years. There was a chart that showed it.

On 12/15/2022 at 10:13 AM, Larz said:

Still amazing to me the draft finally fell with other teams making a mistake and the jets pouncing on studs. Stingley going 3 and London going 8 could be transformative.  This jets team with stingley and London is probably 5-9 ish 

At the time, I can at least understand taking London over Wilson, since their body types are very different, and that could have been a consideration.  But taking Stingley over Sauce is still a mystery to me.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I seriously doubt it, but there is a good chance someone that is not that famous maybe because of injuries or something had a better rookie season. But certainly not in recent memory his season ranks right up there with the 3 best seasons over the last 15 years. There was a chart that showed it.

Honestly, a lot of the rookies CBs from the last 2 drafts have been really impressive. There are like 6 or 7 guys who in a redraft would be in the first round.

Wilson had most votes for OROY and Sauce dominated the DROY votes with execs. 

Gardner ran away with this award, getting 18 votes.

“He’s been extremely consistent for a rookie,” an NFC executive said of Gardner. “Sauce has been targeted 59 times; he’s only given up three explosive plays. He’s just helped make that pass rush that much better.”

• Post of the Week 1

I really hope Ulbrich starts working in some "trap" type plays where they put Sauce on an island on the #1 and flood coverage elsewhere thereby either funneling passes his way or into the extra coverage. I know this isn't how the defensive scheme typically works but it can be a nice wrinkle to work in that will probably help create some turnovers. This week would be a good time to start ...