Week 15 Other Games - Playoff Implications

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

If Bills take care of the Dolphins on Sat night, and we win on Sunday by 4pm Sunday we are back in playoffs

Bills are going to curb stomp the Dolphins this Saturday night. They're getting exposed again on the road. I predicted on November 28th they'd go through a 3-game losing streak during their 3-game road trip vs the 49ers, Chargers, and Bills. The Dolphins filled up on a lot of cupcakes before that rough road trip.

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

Bills are going to curb stomp the Dolphins this Saturday night. They're getting exposed again on the road. I predicted on November 28th they'd go through a 3-game losing streak during their 3-game road trip vs the 49ers, Chargers, and Bills. The Dolphins filled up on a lot of cupcakes before that rough road trip.

The Dolphins are interesting. A lot of folks in the media have a bias towards high flying offenses and have hyped them up accordingly, but if you look, they are a very one dimensional team. They have been portrayed as a borderline juggernaut while we are the fringe playoff team, but we actually have a better point differential. They can win one way - their offense plays well. That defense has gotten exposed and I wonder if they may just collapse down the stretch and I'm not sure they are the type of team that plays well in December and January. If they don't rebound and pull off the upset in Buffalo, I could totally see them losing in NE and I don't think the Packers at home are a gimme, by any means. They could legit have lost 4 of 5 heading into our week 18 rematch. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Dolphins are interesting. A lot of folks in the media have a bias towards high flying offenses and have hyped them up accordingly, but if you look, they are a very one dimensional team. They have been portrayed as a borderline juggernaut while we are the fringe playoff team, but we actually have a better point differential. They can win one way - their offense plays well. That defense has gotten exposed and I wonder if they may just collapse down the stretch and I'm not sure they are the type of team that plays well in December and January. If they don't rebound and pull off the upset in Buffalo, I could totally see them losing in NE and I don't think the Packers at home are a gimme, by any means. They could legit have lost 4 of 5 heading into our week 18 rematch. 

I hope Matt Milano gives Tua the same treatment Mike White received. 

• Upvote 2

Sunday vs. the Lions is the first Jets Playoff game.

Lose, and we're almost assured to be OUT of making the postseason.

Win, and we get to move on another week to the Jags, which is another playoff game for us.

Lose either, and most likely we enter "see what we got the rest of the year" territory.

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Win, and we get to move on another week to the Jags, which is another playoff game for us.

Lose either, and most likely we enter "see what we got the rest of the year" territory.

the Jets chances of making playoffs don't change much with a loss to either of the NFC teams. We can lose one of those and still have a good shot to get in - although not guaranteed. obviously you prefer to just win out and control your destiny.

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Boom!!! You hit the nail on the head. They are really fun in terms of points and fantasy production, but look at who their 5 game win streak came against. The second this team got tested, they folded 2x in a row. Most of their early wins were in 110 degree Miami and the Baltimore game is the equivalent of our Browns win. Their offense is one dimensional and while their defense could have been good, is beyond injured.

My brother is a big Miami fan and he is very concerned... doesn't know if they win a game the rest of the season, no matter how bad the media wants to push Miami, Tua, and McDaniels on everybody. A dangerous team if you struggle in pass coverage, but I can absolutely see Miami missing the playoffs

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

the Jets chances of making playoffs don't change much with a loss to either of the NFC teams. We can lose one of those. obviously you prefer to just win out and control your destiny.

Correct.  We could still make the playoff if we lost to the Lions, but we would need to win the remaining 3 games at that point (Jags, Seahawks, Dolphins0

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Don't think that is true. We just need to win out at that point. And there is still a lot of help built into the schedule. If MIA beats BUF our playoff route would then need another MIA loss. One random possibility is Ravens losing out. They have really been shaky. 

37 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Does that mean they are going to move the game to an indoor stadium again just so the Dolphins have a better chance? 

Great question.  9” Saturday night alone seems like enough to consider that 

pretty amazing the new bills stadium plans don’t have a roof. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

the Jets chances of making playoffs don't change much with a loss to either of the NFC teams. We can lose one of those and still have a good shot to get in - although not guaranteed. obviously you prefer to just win out and control your destiny.

Exactly. It just depends what happens with the Pats, Chargers, Dolphins. I mean, you can prognosticate all you want as far as who has an easier schedule, who has more home games, who is playing better, who is healthier, etc., etc. But the bottom line is- losing to the lions will not mathematically eliminate the Jets from playoff contention. So its not really a 'playoff game'.

However, you want to keep your playoff chances in your hands. So IMO, this being a home game against a team with a losing record (6-7), the Jets need to take advantage and it is a MUST WIN.  Same thing with the Jags. I would even say same thing with the Hawks, although that will be a very tough game on the road. 

Winning the next 3 games puts the Jets in a positions where the Dolphins game might not even need to be a 'must win'. They will be sitting at 10-6 and it will depend on how the Pats and Chargers fared. 

• Sympathy 1