LaFleur's failures as a Opening Drive Signal Caller

Wow awesome job.  ?

His script is not only predictable, I never get the feeling that he just took advantage of the defensive weakness with a jet strength.  It’s like a random assortment of plays that leads to going to berrios in a big spot lol. 

the only rope I’ll throw him is Davis and Mims should be security blanket type of WRs a QB can just chuck up a 50/50 ball to but Davis is either hurt or screwing up and Mims is a body catcher. Also TE group is really lacking that seam threat. 

I also hate shotgun empty set. 

• Upvote 3

offensive and defensive coordinators are basicallly playing a game of chess all game, and it starts with the film and the game plan in the week leading up to the game.

From what I have seen. MLF is a really bad chess player. I think his scheme is probably ok, but outside of the Bears game, I think he has been way overmatched at chess by his opponents in most games

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

There's so many things Lefluer could be doing better. I doubt he'll be changing anything at this point in the season. We just gotta hope it's executed and OL holds up. It's our only hope.

I hope he is not stubborn because I’ve seen a couple Jets opponents try no huddle (up tempo) after stalling against the Jets earlier in the game.  Just to switch things up..  I mean over the past couple weeks, as in Pats and Bills.  

Let’s ditch the sh*tty script, be aggressive and attack weaknesses.
How about come out in a no huddle..
Trust the QB to call audibles.. 
Pass 10x in a row if it’s working.  Then run 10 times in a row if that’s working
Run the wishbone with our defensive linemen..
It seems as if we are in the "no huddle " only once we're down 2 touchdowns late...I can't agree more... mix this in every now and then...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Very nice job.

I'd be curious, how many actual times have we run a Play Action play.  Not per game, total.  I'd assume it's less than the average per game of some teams.  

Every team is looking to stop the run and make our QB beat them.  Flacco, then Wilson, now White.  

Play Action forces the Linebackers to act.  Even if they know it is a fake, they still hesitate which leaves them flat Footed and allows throwing lanes.  

Moving into the game, the linebacker stop looking run and the run game gets stronger. 

Play Action is a must, and we just don't do it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

This goes back to last year but I wanted to focus on this year where the Jets have scored 1 TD (Bears) & 1 FG (Bengals) on opening drives.  

They've consistently been well below league averages in first drive scoring across multiple years and multiple quarterbacks under LaFleur.

Why is it important?  Because jumping out to a lead has a positive effect on wins.

Executive Summary

- 3 Plays & Out:  8 of 13 times

- 1 First Down:  2 of 13 times

- 2 First Downs:  1 of 13 times 

- Started with a running play on 10 of 13 opening drives (8 punts, 1 TD, 1 INT after Offensive holding)

- Across all running plays, the Jets have generated a whopping 3 first downs (2 on first down, 1 on second down)

- Across all sets of downs starting with a pass, the Jets have generated a first down or TD 7 out of 11 times.  4 of the 7 were 1st play first downs 

- While they have a stronger preference to run on first down, especially to start games, they have a strong preference to pass on 3rd downs across all distances

- They've passed on 14 out of 15 third downs, only successfully converting 3 times

- Partly because they don't do a good job of gaining 1st down yardage on run plays and partly because of LaFleur's preference (possibly due to lack of push on 3rd & short)

- On second down, it's been roughly an equal split between run and pass where they've generated a whopping 3 first downs (1 run, 2 passes)

- It's also clear that the Jets are way more limited with Zach Wilson to start games ...  some pretty obvious reasons

If I am game planning against Mike LaFleur on opening drives-- I look to stop the run on first down (which I do quite successfully knowing it's coming) and hold them on 2nd down (leaning towards zone) to get them into 3rd down.  Doesn't really matter if it's 3rd & short or 3rd & long.  The Jets are passing because they don't have confidence in their short yardage run game.  Easy call here, I man up and blitz to force a short throw where I roll coverage to Garrett Wilson.  

If I am Mike LaFleur, I change up the script BECAUSE IT'S NOT WORKING!!  LOL.  I run short developing play action on first down (don't need to throw deep), mix it up on 2nd down where my goal is to get some first downs and not just make 3rd down shorter.  I run more on third down in spread formations, leveraging our offensive line's athleticism rather than their weaker power game.  Bam Knight is my third down guy, NOT Michael Carter who might become obsolete with Knight's emergence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 1:  Run (1st down);    Pass, Run, Pass > Punt

Week 2:  Run, Run, Pass > Punt

Week 3:  Pass (def holding 1st down);   Run, Run (1st down);   Pass, Pass, Pass (1st down);   Run, Run, Pass > Field Goal

Week 4:  Run, Run, Pass > Punt

Week 5:  Pass (1st down);   Pass, Run, Pass > Punt

Week 6:  Run, Pass, Pass > Punt

Week 7:  Pass, Pass, Pass > Punt

Week 8:  Run, Pass, Pass > Punt

Week 9:  Run, Pass, Run > Punt

Week 10:  Run, Run, Pass > Punt

Week 12:  Run, Pass (1st down);   Pass (1st down);   Pass, Pass (1st down);   Pass (1st down);   Pass, Run, Pass > Touch Down

Week 13:  Run (holding Jets), Pass, Pass, Pass > Interception

Week 14:  Run, Pass, Pass (1st down);   Run (1st down);   Pass (offsides Jets), Run, Pass, Pass > Punt 

This is some interesting stuff. I've noticed penalties and poor run plays on early downs has really hurt us. I'd love to know how many of the passes were bad throws, drops, or throw aways. I think that is important missing context here.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

This goes back to last year but I wanted to focus on this year where the Jets have scored 1 TD (Bears) & 1 FG (Bengals) on opening drives.  

They've consistently been well below league averages in first drive scoring across multiple years and multiple quarterbacks under LaFleur.

Why is it important?  Because jumping out to a lead has a positive effect on wins.

Executive Summary

- 3 Plays & Out:  8 of 13 times

- 1 First Down:  2 of 13 times

- 2 First Downs:  1 of 13 times 

- Started with a running play on 10 of 13 opening drives (8 punts, 1 TD, 1 INT after Offensive holding)

- Across all running plays, the Jets have generated a whopping 3 first downs (2 on first down, 1 on second down)

- Across all sets of downs starting with a pass, the Jets have generated a first down or TD 7 out of 11 times.  4 of the 7 were 1st play first downs 

- While they have a stronger preference to run on first down, especially to start games, they have a strong preference to pass on 3rd downs across all distances

- They've passed on 14 out of 15 third downs, only successfully converting 3 times

- Partly because they don't do a good job of gaining 1st down yardage on run plays and partly because of LaFleur's preference (possibly due to lack of push on 3rd & short)

- On second down, it's been roughly an equal split between run and pass where they've generated a whopping 3 first downs (1 run, 2 passes)

- It's also clear that the Jets are way more limited with Zach Wilson to start games ...  some pretty obvious reasons

If I am game planning against Mike LaFleur on opening drives-- I look to stop the run on first down (which I do quite successfully knowing it's coming) and hold them on 2nd down (leaning towards zone) to get them into 3rd down.  Doesn't really matter if it's 3rd & short or 3rd & long.  The Jets are passing because they don't have confidence in their short yardage run game.  Easy call here, I man up and blitz to force a short throw where I roll coverage to Garrett Wilson.  

If I am Mike LaFleur, I change up the script BECAUSE IT'S NOT WORKING!!  LOL.  I run short developing play action on first down (don't need to throw deep), mix it up on 2nd down where my goal is to get some first downs and not just make 3rd down shorter.  I run more on third down in spread formations, leveraging our offensive line's athleticism rather than their weaker power game.  Bam Knight is my third down guy, NOT Michael Carter who might become obsolete with Knight's emergence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 1:  Run (1st down);    Pass, Run, Pass > Punt

Week 2:  Run, Run, Pass > Punt

Week 3:  Pass (def holding 1st down);   Run, Run (1st down);   Pass, Pass, Pass (1st down);   Run, Run, Pass > Field Goal

Week 4:  Run, Run, Pass > Punt

Week 5:  Pass (1st down);   Pass, Run, Pass > Punt

Week 6:  Run, Pass, Pass > Punt

Week 7:  Pass, Pass, Pass > Punt

Week 8:  Run, Pass, Pass > Punt

Week 9:  Run, Pass, Run > Punt

Week 10:  Run, Run, Pass > Punt

Week 12:  Run, Pass (1st down);   Pass (1st down);   Pass, Pass (1st down);   Pass (1st down);   Pass, Run, Pass > Touch Down

Week 13:  Run (holding Jets), Pass, Pass, Pass > Interception

Week 14:  Run, Pass, Pass (1st down);   Run (1st down);   Pass (offsides Jets), Run, Pass, Pass > Punt 

great work.

you made me curious to check out SF since this is the offense we are supposed to have and where MLF learned to call plays.

they have run it 8 out of 13 times. 9 counting tonight on the 1st play. now they have had a lot more success than us.  

3 TDs , 5 FGs and only 3 3 and outs. 

point im trying to make is this looks like the Shannahan plan, to run it on 1st down. unless alot of teams do. i wonder what the league average is. looks like he is doing what he has been taught to do.

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

LeFleur doubtlessly looks over these exact numbers.

Why no variation after such a demonstrable pattern of poor results ???

Saleh seems to have the idea with the players that they conform to the coaches not the other way around, so there's very little adjustments in-game or to account for player strengths.