Zach starting Sunday (merged)

1 minute ago, KRL said:

For those "hating" on Wilson you need to drop your rocks and hope he's
improved.  Because we have no other option, Flacco proved last week
he's done and there's no way Streveler is going to see the field this
late in the season.  It makes no sense to hope Wilson fails because if
he does we aren't going to the playoffs

But what if you didn't want to draft Wilson and you want to be proven right on the interwebz for all the street cred, yo?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

Mike White has not been cleared for contact because the rib fracture he is dealing with has not healed enough to the point where the doctors feel good enough about him taking a hit, which could pierce his stomach. Ribs tend to heal quickly so there's always hope that the rib would "move" enough to be cleared, but it simply hasn't. 

The plan was to bring Zach back this week "the soonest", but they also had planned to have him be inactive for 2 weeks, then backup, then (potentially) starting this week. Instead, he was active 3 weeks, temporarily promoted to backup but will start due to injury. 

It's important to note that Mike White has not lost his job. Zach will need to play well to keep the job. There's no saying whether White will be cleared by Jacksonville, but it appears unlikely. With that, it would seemingly mean 2 weeks for Zach and if he does not do enough to keep the job, they will go back to Mike White for the final 2 weeks. 

FWIW, many players have indicated that this was by far Zach's best week of practice all season long. 

So no conspiracy?  Damnit, I was halfway to Florham Park with a pitchfork and zip ties.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, but let's think this through. 

Let's say you are JD and you decide that the Lions are the weakest defense we have left on the schedule (Seattle and Miami's defenses are also kinda trash, but fair enough) and you want to save your #2 pick. Wouldn't this have been decided last Sunday or Monday? In fact, the Mike White injury would have been the perfect excuse for Saleh to come out on Monday and tell the world that Mike White has broken ribs and can't play going forward. Why wait until three days before the game? 

Everyone would have understood on Monday if you told the world that Mike White has 4 broken ribs and simply isn't cleared to start another game. In fact, why did they even put him back in the game last Sunday at all? 

As usual, this conspiracy theory doesn't really make any sense

He had to sell it to the owner. 

10 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Jets better hope that isn’t true and, if so, doesn’t leak bc it would not be good for them. 

White had to beat the Vikings imo. With the playoffs at less than 30% now, I could see Woody pushing for Wilson to get back on the field. Combined with a vague rib injury for White, it’s an easy opportunity.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Welp, that's not the news I wanted to hear today.

I'll be rooting for Zach, and maybe we'll get lucky and this is the spark he needed for his career to take off.  These are two very winnable games and opponents who he should be able to build some confidence against.  But yeah, White just had that aura of a QB who knew wtf he was doing.  It was fun to watch.

Hopefully Zach can hold the fort and when White is ready to go, we'll have one of those "good" problems.  I just pray to the football gods that Quinnen ends up playing.

I fear Z will be the ghost of playoff past giving us 2 more losses knocking us out of playoffs for good, White comes back with wins but too little too fckn late.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bd71 said:

Streveler has to be the back up. Can’t have that stiff Flacco coming into the game if Zack gets injured or flat out stinks.  I would rather roll the dice with Streveler.

I totally agree. That last fumble Joe had tells me he's done in this league. If Joe played like he was 40 and not 60 he might be okay. GTFO already.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a conspiracy guy but I have to say that this is all very coincidental. Wilson gets elevated,  @football guyis saying that this was the week they wanted Zach to come back and play,  the doctors cleared White for practice and Saleh and White have been talking about how they both think White will play on Sunday. Now on Friday, the doctors don't clear White to play.

It sounds as though the front office, who always thought of Wilson not playing as a temporary thing, saw their opportunity to convince the doctor to tell White he needed some time to heal in order to get Wilson back into the lineup. 

The front office NEVER wanted to bench Wilson, Saleh did and the owner made the final call. JD probably spoke to Saleh, talked him into going along with this plan in order to see what they have with Zach. The Jets could not replace White with Wilson without the injury excuse for many reasons. The front office is willing to tank the season in order to attempt to save face. The longest playoff drought in the NFL is going to continue bc of JD's pride. Way to go. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

I am supportive of this FO and CS except when it comes to Zach.  If we win on Sunday in spite of him, and he shows he clearly has fixed very little these passed few weeks, I still think this CS starts him rest of the season, which would be a detriment to the team unless he shows he’s been completely fixed.

I REALLY hope this season doesn’t go down in flames over QB politics.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Well said.

What I think is so interesting about this opportunity is that zach wasnt benched for talent, he was benched for terrible leadership and not just playing the position.  He has had 3 weeks to clear his head and what he said earlier in the week is factually correct - he was given the opportunity to sit back and watch how MW played the position, distributed the ball and moved the offense.  I have no idea if Zach will have some sort of field vision back, but he will be given the opportunity to distribute the ball in decent conditions (no wind/rain).  Its the opportunity of a lifetime

He was benched bc he was statistically the worst QB in the NFL this year, that's a fact. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

White had to beat the Vikings imo. With the playoffs at less than 30% now, I could see Woody pushing for Wilson to get back on the field. Combined with a vague rib injury for White, it’s an easy opportunity.

You could be right. It’s funny. For all the love MW got from his teammates (deservedly so), they let him down massively. Berrios drop, OL failing to hold up for even 2.5 seconds. Defense lapsing at key moments. Just a nightmare series of events. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This.  If wilson is the same, then white ‘wins’ by not even playing.  

But do they bench Wilson again if the Jets win?  I think that’s the question.  A lot of Zach’s early issues were swept under the rug because Breece Hall and the defense were playing out of their minds and were winning.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Why wasn't ZW #2 last week?

Zack Rosenblatt @ZackBlatt

Robert Saleh said he'd already decided Zach Wilson would be the No. 2 for this week way back on Friday last week. So Mike White's rib injury had nothing to do with it, he said.

Did Saleh keep it a secret way back on Friday and decide to make it public after Flacco fumbled away the game?

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

That's not what I'm saying when I say why is he on the field its geared more towards if he cant play in the game give the reps to Zach. I watched Salah's presser and they refuse to state what the nature of the injury is the reporter asked him point blank are his ribs broken and Salah declined to answer the question. Now are NFL no longer required to state the nature of the Injury ? Or do they only have to state a body part ?

Saleh said that Wilson got the majority of the reps this week

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

I'm not a conspiracy guy but I have to say that this is all very coincidental. Wilson gets elevated,  @football guyis saying that this was the week they wanted Zach to come back and play,  the doctors cleared White for practice and Saleh and White have been talking about how they both think White will play on Sunday. Now on Friday, the doctors don't clear White to play.

It sounds as though the front office, who always thought of Wilson not playing as a temporary thing, saw their opportunity to convince the doctor to tell White he needed some time to heal in order to get Wilson back into the lineup. 

The front office NEVER wanted to bench Wilson, Saleh did and the owner made the final call. JD probably spoke to Saleh, talked him into going along with this plan in order to see what they have with Zach. The Jets could not replace White with Wilson without the injury excuse for many reasons. The front office is willing to tank the season in order to attempt to save face. The longest paid drought in the NFL is going to continue bc of JD's pride. Way to go. 

I really don't think it's that deep.  I'll buy the fact that they knew White's injury was worse early in the week before telling anyone, thus elevating Zach to be in a position to fight for his job again by playing this week.  I said as much in my post before.  However I think it was a pretty easy call to bench Zach.  His play was crazy, he had a ridiculous presser, his team was liking tweets talking bad about him.  Any organization would have pulled the plug for a bit to let things cool down.

I don't think JD is going to fake a doctors report to force Zach back in the lineup to try and vindicate himself.  I think that's absurd and very tinfoil hat.

• Post of the Week 1