Zach starting Sunday (merged)

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

What? You don't like the WR screens behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 9?

Obviously Lafleur knows how to call downfield plays. I wonder why his play calling is different when a competent QB is behind center? A mystery only to those who dread the answer.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

By my count, this would mark Zach Wilson’s 72nd “best week of practice.” How come you never hear about good quarterbacks having “the best week of practice”?

Because the spotlight is not nearly as bright on other QB situations around the league, but if you listen to pregames/broadcasts around the league, you hear it all the time. They said the same thing about Mike White going into the Buffalo game. 

As far as gameplan, I don’t think the Jets are sleeping on the Detroit defense. Their among the worst in the league in terms of yardage allowed, but a lot of that has to do with their style of defense and the fact that they’ve been in a lot of shootouts. Since the bye, I think they lead the NFL in turnovers (tied 10th season-long) and defending the short pass. Where they struggle? QBs throwing in the intermediate-to-deep portion of the field, specifically off the bootleg. 

I would think the Jets try to attack this, especially with Wilson in the lineup. My guess is they do some boot-option early to cut the field in half, give 1-2 progression read with the option to run if it’s not there.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Was that 1-2 record that encouraging? Because it wasn't going to lead to the playoffs if that ratio continued.

Yeah I’m not blaming White for either loss but those saying “bye bye playoffs” is a bit weird considering we went 5-2 with Wilson despite struggles.  The Steeler and Buffalo games were big wins.  So I think it’s fair to have concerns but also not acknowledging any positives is a bit unfair 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It could be a rough six days for Zach Wilson around these parts. Fans are pissed about losing White, then he has to face an ascending Trevor Lawrence on a national broadcast—at home—next week. The boos could be legendary.

Zach is going to look like he should have been picked 200th pick next to Trevor and not the 2nd pick. 

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The “best week of practice” is a time-honored canard used by coaches forever, though, and it’s never really predictive of future performance. It’s not like they’d tell us if he had a bad week of practice. By some accounts, Zach looked great in practice all summer and look how that worked out. 
As far as the gameplan, absolutely—go downfield a bunch and, also, run the ball when the opportunity presents itself. Not just because the Lions will give him opportunities to do it, but to show the coaches (and fans, and his teammates) all the things he can do that White can’t. If he comes out and plays reserved football, he’s going to help tie the knot that hangs him. 

Can you turn those powers of observation on MW taking the check down quickly, making the easy look easy , staying in the pocket, and giving heart warming sound bites ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I think it’s better in the long run, for the jets to see if wilson can step up his game under these perfect pressure conditions, than to hide him and play white and go into next season with a wait and see approach.  There are big decisions to be made with white, and his value to the jets can skyrocket if wilson craps out the next 2 games.  Wilson does not need to be perfect, he does not need to be a savior, he just needs to execute the offense efficiently and get the ball to the playmakers.  If he has learned anything these past 3 weeks it’s that hero ball will usually lose.  I’m excited to see it all play out. If he fails and the jets don’t make the playoffs, white’s retention becomes a priority and they’ll hang onto wilson unless there’s a compelling offer. What wilson needs to do is not worry about how he’s perceived or how much he’s liked, just go out there and throw short darts to the playmakers.  Winning heals a lot.

Nice post

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you haven’t been paying much attention all season, eh.

Also he’s not a “kid”.  He’s 23 and in his 2nd season playing pro football. 

Whenever you see a poster use the word “kid” to refer to a player you know a schmaltzy anti-fact defense is coming next.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

JD should have taken this into account if the idea was to start him day 1. The front office and coaching staff failed this kid from the start. Zach also can’t escape blame since some of his decisions are just selfish and go beyond coaxing. 

A Jets disaster all around 

I don’t know if it’s a disaster yet or blame the org for Zach’s bad play. It’s on him to learn and play well. But starting a rookie Qb from day one with no real Qb competition hasn’t worked in the past with Mark, Darnold etc. and hasn’t worked so far with Zach. Next year if White and Zach still around just pick the better player. 

Look the org might still think that Zach gives them a better chance to win than Flacco who played ok earlier this year but might also have gotten beat up last week vs Buff. Despite hearing from insiders that CS has lost confidence in Zach thinks he can’t run full offense while White can. If you heard Saleh this week after announcing Zach would start he wasn’t exactly glass half full which he usually is. He kind of expressed doubts. Look if he feels this way why start Zach in the first place. If they don’t think he grasps the offense. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The “best week of practice” is a time-honored canard used by coaches forever, though, and it’s never really predictive of future performance. It’s not like they’d tell us if he had a bad week of practice. By some accounts, Zach looked great in practice all summer and look how that worked out. 
As far as the gameplan, absolutely—go downfield a bunch and, also, run the ball when the opportunity presents itself. Not just because the Lions will give him opportunities to do it, but to show the coaches (and fans, and his teammates) all the things he can do that White can’t. If he comes out and plays reserved football, he’s going to help tie the knot that hangs him. 

You’re not wrong, but at the same time no one will go out of their way to say when a player has a great practice unless they do; especially with the players watching. Great practice does not equate to great performance, but it certainly helps in terms of confidence going into the game.

In fairness to the bold, the guy got injured and went on to miss a month of reps. Not going to use that as an excuse but I do think that was a setback in his development. He was inconsistent in OTAs but really started to hit his stride in those first 2 weeks of TC

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don’t know if it’s a disaster yet or blame the org for Zach’s bad play. It’s on him to learn and play well. But starting a rookie Qb from day one with no real Qb competition hasn’t worked in the past with Mark, Darnold etc. and hasn’t worked so far with Zach. Next year if White and Zach still around just pick the better player. 

Spot on.

The next time we are bad enough to draft a top-5 QB I want the GM to announce on the day we draft him that he WILL NOT be starting on day-1 and that a "normal" development schedule for a QB is 1-2 years at best.  Perhaps longer if that QB has had limited college experience.

If the guy comes into training camp and knocks it out of the park there is plenty of time to accelerate that schedule but I agree with you, the way we have been doing it has been a disaster.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

i dunno he went 5-2 if he had played lowly Bears probably 6-2.  If anyone said he would go 6-2 for a stretch during off-season they would have been tarred, feathered, atomic wedgied, and ostracized to the Patriots fan board.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Supersonic said:

Most people in this forum are predicting Zach will sh!t the bed on Sunday.  Not I.  I believe he's gonna destroy the Lions.  I think he's been humbled, now knowing he can truly lose his job.  And I'm sure he's well aware this game is an absolute turning point in his future.  The pressure on him to perform is greater than ever, and I believe he will meet that challenge.  Why?  He now has nothing to lose.  He won't be the same ol' puppet following Lafleur's sh!tty plays off a cliff, he will now be improvising and owning his own destiny.

He's certainly evaluated his previous play in preparation of his big day, and I'm sure he's learned a few things about himself.  The biggest change I expect to see in Zach is him stepping up in the pocket.  I believe he has now realized that once he starts scrambling (too soon and unnecessarily), and takes his eyes off the field, it's nearly impossible to re-engage (successfully).  

One thing I know for sure about Zach is he's a competitor who desperately wants to win.  And in that regard, I just can't see him going out there and playing his same old game.

I could easily be very wrong about this, but I choose hope and prefer to focus on success rather than doom and gloom.  Good luck Zach.  LGJ!!

It's crazy that being hopeful that your young QB plays well is considered a hot take on this forum. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

You’re not wrong, but at the same time no one will go out of their way to say when a player has a great practice unless they do; especially with the players watching. Great practice does not equate to great performance, but it certainly helps in terms of confidence going into the game.

In fairness to the bold, the guy got injured and went on to miss a month of reps. Not going to use that as an excuse but I do think that was a setback in his development. He was inconsistent in OTAs but really started to hit his stride in those first 2 weeks of TC

It would be nice if he hit any sort of stride in the regular season. 

• Upvote 3