This is not on Zach.

3 hours ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

Zach made enough plays to win the game. What the hell was that time management at the end? After that big play to GW, call a timeout and reset. The OL did no favors today in the running game and when it mattered most the protection was dogsh*t.

In general, I would agree.

However, for the past month, any time White's stats have been compared favorably to Wilson's, the response has been that it's all about wins and losses, often followed with the comment "5-2."

So, is the QB responsible for wins and losses, or isn't he? It can't work both ways depending on what fits yours narrative.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

However, for the past month, any time White's stats have been compared favorably to Wilson's, the response has been that it's all about wins and losses, often followed with the comment "5-2."

So, is the QB responsible for wins and losses, or isn't he? It can't work both ways depending on what fits yours narrative.

It's the degree to which these arguments are being made.

You hear Mike White was great, he should take no responsibility for the loss

Then you year Zach was terrible and he's entirely responsible for the loss.

The reality is QB's are responsible for wins and losses --- but typically not solely.  

Mikes' been up and down, Zach was up and down today.  Neither are fully responsible for the losses.  Both should take some responsibility for them.  it's the QB's job to help their team win - Zach didn't get it done today.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, ausman said:

In the sense that he got them to 17-13 with under 2:00 to play, you’re right.   But he also threw a bad INT that produced the ultimate 3 point margin.  He had an horrendous 3rd Q where better play would have given the Jets more room for error.  However, it’s a team game and special teams gave up 7 points and the D uncharacteristically and inexplicably had a defensive set that allowed a 5 yard pass to turn into a 50 yard TD late.  The coaching staff misused the 3 TOs at the end forcing a low percentage 57 yard FG attempt for a tie and OT.  The Jets play fiercely and well but make unfortunate mistakes at key times.  That’s what teams and players not quite ready for prime time do.  The Jets are closer than they have been for a long time, but may not be there just yet.  The next 3 games will be telling.

Yes, this is something people aren't seeing.  Yes, the entire team struggled but it's still just year 2 of being the youngest team in the league!  At the beginning of the season people were convinced we were shoe-ins for a top 5 pick and now they are bitching if we miss the playoffs after giving us the most competitive season of football I have seen out of this team is years.  Yeah, I want the playoffs, I want a Super Bowl, but this year we were still supposed to suck.  This coming offseason the draft is going to be all about  filling in spots, not dire needs.  We have cap money to spend on real impact players who are seeing what it looks like to win in NY and will want a taste of it.  For every guy who complains about NY taxes effecting contract you set him up with a commercial agent so he has so many endorsements in the city he's making more as a pitchman than a player.  That's whats coming...  I hope.

QB’s win and losses is an official stat, fortunately and unfortunately according to your opinion I guess. Tons of things take place in a game to effect a win/loss. Generational guys like Brady, Bree’s, elway have contributed significantly to their W-L record, Elway led “the drive” And I agree, if Zach gets blame for losses, then he gets credit for wins and the same applies to White. Zach’s an easy guy to dump and I don’t think his future is long here, but let’s be fair White didn’t hold a lead in the last 2 games and lost both games. You hold both guys accountable.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

Awesome, another poster who agrees we should’ve drafted Mac Jones over our guy!
200.gif

When did I say that? What is it with some of you posters? I never wanted Mac Jones! To be honest, I wasn’t wild about the Zach pick as well.

Not a Cousins guy, but he did in fact beat White and he led the greatest comeback in NFL history. Like him or not, both those statements are true.

Just curious, where do you rank mike white amongst starting NFL QB’s?

Just now, JetsYanks13 said:

When did I say that? What is it with some of you posters? I never wanted Mac Jones! To be honest, I wasn’t wild about the Zach pick as well.

Not a Cousins guy, but he did in fact beat White and he led the greatest comeback in NFL history. Like him or not, both those statements are true.

Just curious, where do you rank mike white amongst starting NFL QB’s?

Well, if head-to-head records between QBs is your evaluation method, then the conclusion was only natural.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

He’s absolutely responsible. I think the point is trying to pin the loss solely on him, or acting like he played poorly, or persuading oneself that the result would’ve been much different with another QB is ludicrous though.

It’s a disappointing loss and had the QB converted on 2 or 3 more throws we probably win the game. For that you fault him because he didn’t execute. But if you come away from this game thinking that Zach Wilson doesn’t have what it takes to be a good QB now or in the future than I can’t help you

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

But if you come away from this game thinking that Zach Wilson doesn’t have what it takes to be a good QB now or in the future than I can’t help you

What if we went into the game thinking that? Can you help us then?

• Haha 2

Well, if head-to-head records between QBs is your evaluation method, then the conclusion was only natural.

Wins and losses assigned to QB’s is an official stat, not my method, it’s the NFL’s method. As I mentioned earlier, not everyone agrees, but it is in fact an official stat. Years ago, the shows always built up Brady vs Manning and their head to head to head records. It’s part of the game.

Also, as I asked earlier: Where do rank Mike White in relation to other starting NFL QB’s?

3 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Wins and losses assigned to QB’s is an official stat, not my method, it’s the NFL’s method. As I mentioned earlier, not everyone agrees, but it is in fact an official stat. Years ago, the shows always built up Brady vs Manning and their head to head to head records. It’s part of the game.

Also, as I asked earlier: Where do rank Mike White in relation to other starting NFL QB’s?

Mike White is a bottom quartile starter but sadly represents a significant upgraded over BYU who probably ranks about in the middle of the league’s backups.

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

But if you come away from this game thinking that Zach Wilson doesn’t have what it takes to be a good QB now or in the future than I can’t help you

Precisely what this garbage organization is gonna try to sell to the fans for another year and an half until the moment they select another QB in the draft in 2024 and we potentially do this sh*t all over again.

It never.  F***king.  Ends.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

What if we went into the game thinking that? Can you help us then?

Questions of how he would play coming into today were fair. We’ve seen situations like this before where the QB got benched comes back and lost all of his confidence, plays like sh*t, etc. I did not see that today… I saw a player who learned their lesson, was confident and collected, and put his high ceiling talent on display.  He needs to get better down to down and needs to be more consistently accurate, but I am by no means discouraged with what I saw today. Anyone who takes the time to watch the all-22 this week should come away impressed or encouraged. No one was running wide open and the lions did a great job of eliminating the layups; aside from the Carter catch (nightmare by the way), there were no fluky completions

This Zach is the player we all wanted prior to the season when we didn’t expect to be a playoff team. I think people’s recency bias + heightened expectations for the team are the reasons for pessimism. 

• Upvote 1

Mike White is a bottom quartile starter but sadly represents a significant upgraded over BYU who probably ranks about in the middle of the league’s backups.

I don’t even have him that high to be honest. It just begs the question, a guy you have ranked that low is the same guy who would of led this team to 4 straight wins? He’s a decent player, spot starter, accurate at times. But too many dump offs, lacks arm strength and can’t go over the top of a defense, hence why he couldn’t drive the team down the field at the end of the Bills game. I will say, he seems like a super nice kid and very like able, but in this league you play for pay! You have to win and continue to win. Ribs aside, the O line has been a turnstile, he would of got crushed today.

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

He’s absolutely responsible. I think the point is trying to pin the loss solely on him, or acting like he played poorly, or persuading oneself that the result would’ve been much different with another QB is ludicrous though.

It’s a disappointing loss and had the QB converted on 2 or 3 more throws we probably win the game. For that you fault him because he didn’t execute. But if you come away from this game thinking that Zach Wilson doesn’t have what it takes to be a good QB now or in the future than I can’t help you

The #1 most important skill any elite QB needs to have is accuracy. Wilson is the least accurate QB I’ve ever seen. I am not sure you can fix that. 

I did not expect him to look any better today because he needs to completely rebuild himself as a thrower, that is going to take months not weeks. His accuracy is as bad as it’s ever been today. 

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Questions of how he would play coming into today were fair. We’ve seen situations like this before where the QB got benched comes back and lost all of his confidence, plays like sh*t, etc. I did not see that today… I saw a player who learned their lesson, was confident and collected, and put his high ceiling talent on display.  He needs to get better down to down and needs to be more consistently accurate, but I am by no means discouraged with what I saw today. Anyone who takes the time to watch the all-22 this week should come away impressed or encouraged. No one was running wide open and the lions did a great job of eliminating the layups; aside from the Carter catch (nightmare by the way), there were no fluky completions

This Zach is the player we all wanted prior to the season when we didn’t expect to be a playoff team. I think people’s recency bias + heightened expectations for the team are the reasons for pessimism. 

I already said I was positively surprised by his performance today. His big gainers were mostly ducks or horribly under thrown but hey, he didn’t have a mega meltdown. Sad that’s where the bar is now but I guess that’s something?

3 hours ago, Grandy said:

I do think we have to change our scheme if White is out though. We consistently found success on rollouts. Do those. 

Wilson did good when just chucking it, but bad intermediate. Do more chucking.

It's clear Wilson does not fit this scheme like White, and although that's probably his issue we just have to adapt to his strengths if he's gonna play. Also if he makes a mistake stop hiding him because that might be a reason behind why he shells up when he makes a mistake. 

Thank you.....

Why is this so hard to UNDERSTAND!!!

Play to your players' STRENGTHS!!!!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I don’t even have him that high to be honest. It just begs the question, a guy you have ranked that low is the same guy who would of led this team to 4 straight wins? He’s a decent player, spot starter, accurate at times. But too many dump offs, lacks arm strength and can’t go over the top of a defense, hence why he couldn’t drive the team down the field at the end of the Bills game. I will say, he seems like a super nice kid and very like able, but in this league you play for pay! You have to win and continue to win. Ribs aside, the O line has been a turnstile, he would of got crushed today.

I never said he would have win 4 in a row. Also his arm strength is grossly underestimated. But that aside, I’m just happy to have competent production and performance from the position. People may try to paint me (and others) as wild-eyed zealots for MW, but it’s just that he’s so much better than the other guy and those are our options this season so bring on more MW.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, jgb said:

I already said I was positively surprised by his performance today. His big gainers were mostly ducks or horribly under thrown but hey, he didn’t have a mega meltdown. Sad that’s where the bar is now but I guess that’s something?

Lol awful take. Jeff Smith completion yes, but to state that the rest of the big gainers were ducks or under thrown is a truly asinine take 

• Upvote 2

Just now, football guy said:

Lol awful take. Jeff Smith completion yes, but to state that the rest of the big gainers were ducks or under thrown is a truly asinine take 

Oh, come on his TD to uzomah and that other long gainer to… can’t remember now were terrible underthrows.

• Upvote 1

What positive came out of this game? - and made me feel better about Zach?

We've heard for a long time - and rightfully so - that while Zach is athletic and has escapbabily - he never does anything with it.  So all that talent is useless if you're not going to do anything. once you get outside the pocket.

Two things happened today:

1) When he "escaped" he didn't turn his back - and mostly didn't run backwards but laterally.  

2) Because he didn't turn his back he was able to keep his eyes down field...and because he wasn't running backwards he was able to make throws from the proper platform.

What today showed is that he can do the off platform stuff -  Chunk plays from broken plays are game changing moments.  That's where a lot of Zach's success came from today...

What Zach still struggled with - and what is most important - he still has very serous issues with accuracy from the pocket.  He was, mostly, getting through reads today - - he was mostly fine on the outlets and swing passes

The 10, 15, 20 yard ins, outs, slants etc (which is the crux of the offense)...He's just not steady enough with putting those balls where they need to be - and/or controlling the pace to make the ball more catchable.   

So, ultimately he's still not capable of running the offense efficiently and properly. .Can he figure it out? I have no idea.

but the positive was - he showed today he can do the athletic things that can make him special  - if he can figure out the basic - which so far he hasn't.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

He looked good rolling out chucking the ball but didn’t show MW’s quality of throws within the offense. Too much off-schedule. Too random & not repeatable. The offense is a system. You don’t get to break the system unless you’re Pat Mahomes. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JetPotato said:

The defense gave up 13 points.

Guys, please, think.

The defense had no sacks and no turnovers. The Lions were 8-15 on 3rd and 4th down. The defense had the game in its hands and gave up a winning TD with under 2 minutes left on a 50 yard play on 4th and 1.  That is never ever a good game by the defense.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Chucking it and hoping for the best is not a sustainable offense. It’s fun, though. Not gonna lie. Kinda like Madden on Sega. 

He got very lucky that his prayer balls mostly broke the jets way today. Not sustainable but nonetheless I expected like 140 yards so credit where credit is due.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you.....

Why is this so hard to UNDERSTAND!!!

Play to your players' STRENGTHS!!!!

I actually think it might be because they're trying to "develop" him.  I think they want him to learn to play from the pocket.

I think it's kinda silly - play to win - help your QB out...but it might just be an organizational deacons.

Honesltly, it's hard for me to see why else they wouldn't be rolling him out more often?  Could it be incompetence?

• Post of the Week 1

I never said he would have win 4 in a row. Also his arm strength is grossly underestimated. But that aside, I’m just happy to have competent production and performance from the position. People may try to paint me (and others) as wild-eyed zealots for MW, but it’s just that he’s so much better than the other guy and those are our options this season so bring on more MW.

Zach’s no beauty what so ever, but he can go over the top of a defense effortlessly. I believe before the half, he had 28 seconds and even had a chance for a TD. White can not make those deep passes over the top, does not have the arm strength. Now, White at times when in rhythm is pinpoint accurate on intermediate routes. When teams play him, just like Pennington back in the day, he’s not beating you over the top, takes away a chunk of the field to defend. Both him and Zach are flawed for different reasons, unfortunately, they can’t combine their strengths into one player, then you would have a good player.

Just now, jgb said:

He got very lucky that his prayer balls mostly broke the jets way today. Not sustainable but nonetheless I expected like 140 yards so credit where credit is due.

He didn’t play scared so that was encouraging. I thought he was gonna win it there in the 4th. I’d just like to see him master the easy sh*t and then we can all go nuts over the wild scrambles and bombs. Those plays will pop even more once he’s nailing every easy throw within the offensive system. He’s still missing too many of those but the Jets had to have seen some glimpses of talent in there. I think he’s gonna start from here on out. They need to know if he can get better on the easy stuff before cutting bait. It’s not what I want but it’s fair. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

Of course.  They were very good throws.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I would think what he's looking for is single coverage where the DB has his back turned - and letting his WR got get it.  QB's make a living on those throws.  It's what half the long passes in the NFL look like.

They're not prayer throws.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I would think what he's looking for is single coverage where the DB has his back turned - and letting his WR got get it.  QB's make a living on those throws.  It's what half the long passes in the NFL look like.

His deep play ability is what moved him up the boards, he’s got a canon for an arm. For better or worse, White can’t make those deep throws.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The Jeff Smith bomb Smith had to stop and come back 3 yards. The Carter sideline throw was a wounded duck. 
Watching the uzomah pass from the QB POV angle it didn’t look as bad as from the television default angle. Uzomah had a lot more lateral separation than it appeared live but a great throw still would’ve pushed more vertically and led an open uzomah to open daylight downfield. It was a good throw on re-watch though so mea culpa on that one 

• More Ugh 1