All Douglas Had To Do Was Go Chalk...

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Three questions:

1) When Joe Douglas signed Corey Davis, he hadn't missed significant time since his rookie season.  What tools could he have used to predict Davis would experience more injuries in the future than he had in the past in his mid 20's?

2) Do you think the TE production could have been impacted by the QB play?

3) Why didn't you mention DJ Reed, Sheldon Rankins, Kwon Alexander, Jordan Whitehead, Duane Brown, John Franklin-Myers, Quincy Williams, Nate Herbig or Justin Hardee?  All signed or claimed away from other teams to join the Jets.

Don’t forget bam knight 

17 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

And just think how much better off this team would be right now...

Tristan Wirfs at Tackle was the chalk pick over questionably too big Becton...

Becton is not playing and may never play again...

Justin Fields from OSU at QB over Wilson from BYU was the chalk pick...

Fields is improving, Wilson is regressing...

Douglas just had to go and overthink it...

He just had to go for the home run instead of the sure base hit...

You can't strike out on 2 premium 1st round picks without devastating effects...

This is on you, Joe Douglas...

There was no consensus pick as to the number 2 QB in the league. Lawrence was labeled as generational, end then it was pick your poison. Zach was a 1 year wonder that impressed against lesser competition in a small school. Fields wasn't the prototypical running QB. I can't even remember what Trey Lance was. Fields was not even the third QB picked.

I didn't like the Becton pick as we drafted on size, not skill. I'm never a fan of those picks. It's easier using size in college than in the NFL. That being said, he hasn't retired yet. Still a (small) chance he could work out. But I may just be very optimistic. Wills was listed on the big board as the best tackle in the draft. Wirfs, Thomas and Becton were then very closely grouped (the fact that there are 3 tackles in 4 spots in the big board). Again, not necessarily clear cut.
image.png.f501b081ec3e7e95f0703434c53ea8ea.png

17 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Justin Fields from OSU at QB over Wilson from BYU was the chalk pick...

Fields is improving, Wilson is regressing...

Douglas just had to go and overthink it...

He just had to go for the home run instead of the sure base hit...

This is wrong.  Wilson, particularly for this system, was the highest evaluated prospect.  In fact, Shanahan and the 49ers didn't even take Fields at #3.

• Upvote 1

Lets recap… Joe Douglas is a worse GM than Mike Maccagnan,
John Idzik, Mike Tannenbaum, Terry Bradway, Dick Haley, Bill Parcells,Rich Kotite, Dick Steinberg, Joe Walton, Jim Kensil, and Al Ward.
That goes back over 40 years.
Ive been a season ticket holder for 47 years and 3 different stadiums.
Guess what you people are imbeciles. Joe Douglas is easily the best GM the Jets have had in their history.
Anyone wanting him fired or saying he isn’t good, take a look at the other GMs both season record and draft picks and tell me different

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

On 12/18/2022 at 5:34 PM, Paradis said:

And look how that worked out. 

also he was the 4th. The total project that is Trey Lance was the next waterfall up after Zach.

competition matters. 

If competition matters, how do you explain Josh Allen? By the way, Allen and Wyoming lost to BYU in Allens' junior year with Allen at QB.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

If competition matters, how do you explain Josh Allen? By the way, Allen and Wyoming lost to BYU in Allens' junior year with Allen at QB.  

insert "If this is true, how do you explain this outlier i found that's the exception to your statement"

-Well, Steve... it's just that, an outlier... An exception. Obviously. 

On 12/18/2022 at 5:38 PM, bitonti said:

It's hard to get mad about 6th Rd draft picks but because Braden Mann was one, he's gotten too many chances. That punt return today was on the him. Another Joe Douglas masterstroke 

I also wonder about the decision to rely on Joyner at FS that dude was washed last year 

Disagree.  ZW couldn't get 1 1st down there to give him a little room to take the snap at the normal distance.  

1 hour ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

John Idzik, Mike Tannenbaum, Terry Bradway, Dick Haley, Bill Parcells,Rich Kotite, Dick Steinberg, Joe Walton, Jim Kensil, and Al Ward.
Guess what you people are imbeciles. Joe Douglas is easily the best GM the Jets have had in their history.
Anyone wanting him fired or saying he isn’t good, take a look at the other GMs both season record and draft picks and tell me different

An STH for 47 years but only 543 posts?  Please post more! 

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Disagree.  ZW couldn't get 1 1st down there to give him a little room to take the snap at the normal distance.  

And the defense couldn't stop the Lions on that opening drive until they got to the 1 yard line.  If the defense came to play and stopped the Lions anywhere else on the field, there's no punt return TD and that is a 4-7 point swing.  I am done with Wilson and think that he shoulders some blame for that lost on Sunday, but to say that HE couldn't  get a first down is a ridiculously oversimplification of how football works.  

I like JD...

I think he has really bounced back big time...

Would the Bucs trade Wirfs for Becton?

Would the Bears trade Fields for Wilson?

I'm sure the Jets would make those trades...

I think Douglas has learned that with the premium picks, better to go with the "higher floor" than the "higher ceiling"...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And the defense couldn't stop the Lions on that opening drive until they got to the 1 yard line.  If the defense came to play and stopped the Lions anywhere else on the field, there's no punt return TD and that is a 4-7 point swing.  I am done with Wilson and think that he shoulders some blame for that lost on Sunday, but to say that HE couldn't  get a first down is a ridiculously oversimplification of how football works.  

If he completes this pass to Mims, it gives Mann enough room to take the snap at a regular distance.

724687431_BadPassToMims(Lions).gif.29e9f6899857a81fe77753b66a22c361.gif

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

Lyndon Johnson was still the president when Jets last won superbowl

and that year

John Madden becomes head coach of Raiders

The world’s largest plane, The Boeing 747, makes its first-ever commercial flight

Micky Mantle announces his retirement

Neil Armstrong becomes first person to walk on moon

pretty eventful year as I could go on

but I digress

best isn't really a high bar is it?

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, bd71 said:

JD has had hits and misses.  1st draft was awful.  To date, seems like he whiffed on Wilson.  But he had a really nice draft this year, he’s had good and bad FA signings.  My opinion, he has a long leash.

The Jets need to be developing a deep bench.  When the Chiefs decided they had enough of John Dorsey, after he got them Mahomes, his successor was on the staff.  

I don't see a better alternative to JD, or Saleh, right now.  The Jets are better off working with each of them to improve their weaknesses, at least for the next few years.

• Upvote 1