MetLife today — aka Woodys dump

johnnyjet

On 12/20/2022 at 12:55 AM, BP said:

:rl:

keep telling yourselves that. Maybe they’ll blast that song in between plays over the loud speakers 

The stadium and gameday experience for my first trip there last Sunday was eye opening.  Stadium is a concrete bomb shelter with zero character and seats that makes flying coach on Spirit feel like First Class on PanAm in the 1950s. 

Even my Lions buddy was like - dude how many more dance offs are you gonna have on the big screen.

I think the lack of a truly loud fanbase is 80% the fact this team has been bad on a generational scale and 20% the stadium environment brought about by having a giant air conditioning unit as a home field. 

......but the biggest reason was every single fan in that place knew the Jets were going to lose with ZW at QB and they were just waiting for it to happen. - Myself included. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BP said:

The degradation of this is amazing. In 15 years they went from a full house with 10’s of thousands of people on the ST waiting list to a half empty docile stadium where they’ve been begging people to buy season tickets and are bragging about a sellout to Bills fans. The problem is that I don’t think it really affects the Jets financially. They probably just don’t care.

My first year as a season ticket holder (1978) the Jets were actively marketing selling season tickets that summer on radio and home games were blacked out because they couldn’t sell out. $8.00 a ticket x 8 x2  $128.00 for 2 season tickets and Leon gave you the pre season tix for free. By 1981 they went up to a whopping $11.00 a ticket! Almost a 50% increase! Lol and by then there was a waiting list.

I think the majority of STH that love MetLife were probably stuck on the waiting list for years. 

Valid statement.

I am that person you describe and can be honest about admitting it. I would always call the Jets and ask about availability but none to be had. The day before the freezing tundra bowl against cincy at the old stadium - they invited me to go on a new stadium tour. During it the rep shows me two seats in the lower bowl and says there avail if i want them.

It actually caught me by surprise cause i am thinking all of the lower seats had to be scooped up by previous sth but I guess in some cases no.

So I pulled the trigger and yes paid the vig otherwise known as the PSL to get them. I dont regret it and it is just a situation that happened to work out and honestly my good fortune (imagine calling that - i am actually laughing as I type that) came off the back of someone who prob had seats for 20+ years and was priced out by a PSL. I realize that and acknowledge that.

As far as the stadium - simply because I have seats does not make ne defend it. I have stated for me personally, the asthetics mean nothng. I really do not care - I simply want to see a good team on the field.

As far as the experiece which honestly has nothing to do with the stadium but everything to do with the decision makers - it sucks so bad that it is has actually made my decision not to go to some games simply because it is overbearing.  

• Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, BP said:

The degradation of this is amazing. In 15 years they went from a full house with 10’s of thousands of people on the ST waiting list to a half empty docile stadium where they’ve been begging people to buy season tickets and are bragging about a sellout to Bills fans. The problem is that I don’t think it really affects the Jets financially. They probably just don’t care.

My first year as a season ticket holder (1978) the Jets were actively marketing selling season tickets that summer on radio and home games were blacked out because they couldn’t sell out. $8.00 a ticket x 8 x2  $128.00 for 2 season tickets and Leon gave you the pre season tix for free. By 1981 they went up to a whopping $11.00 a ticket! Almost a 50% increase! Lol and by then there was a waiting list.

I think the majority of STH that love MetLife were probably stuck on the waiting list for years. 

The Jets are not selling out. 

5 hours ago, JETSY14 said:

I have to disagree when you say a colossal planning error by BOTH teams 

Giants are collecting PSLs from the upper deck and all of the Mezzanine.  whenever I go to a game with friends the stadium is packed. 

NY Giants games have always been packed more than the NY Jets and at BOTH Giants and MetLife Stadiums.  This goes back as far as 1984 when the Jets moved from Shea.  

Giants upper deck PSLs were just $1k and a significant % of them have changed hands or been abandoned.  Upper deck Giants PSLs have zero value on the secondary market outside of seats between the 30's in the first 4 rows. Upper deck has mega empty seats at Giants games as do the overpriced Club sections.  Just not quite as many empties in the uppers and Clubs as there are at Jets games, but still lots of empty seats.

2 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

I think the lack of a truly loud fanbase is 80% the fact this team has been bad on a generational scale and 20% the stadium environment brought about by having a giant air conditioning unit as a home field. 

80% because the team has been sh*tty for so long and 20% because of the ticket pricing by the Jets.  Make the price reasonable for families and middle class fans and they will come.  the way it is now, it's tremendously over priced and has been since day 1 at MetLife.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets are not selling out. 

One of the reasons why the Jets would always sell out at the old Giants stadium was that scalper companies held a significant % of the seasons tickets.  That all went away with PSLs.  No way the scalping companies were going to buy those.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:08 AM, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

When a stadium is actually loud, there isn’t a debate going on amongst the fans the next day on whether it was loud or not. 

Yes there is.  The fans actually at the stadium seem to disagree with the ones watching on TV.   

Wanna take a wild guess which is most often correct?

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yes there is.  The fans actually at the stadium seem to disagree with the ones watching on TV.   

Wanna take a wild guess which is most often correct?

I was there, like I am for every home game.   The bar for some to call it loud seems to be getting up for a few crucial third downs. I am willing to bet anyone who thinks MetLife is a loud hostile environment has never attended a road game before and witnessed what other places sound like. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

Valid statement.

I am that person you describe and can be honest about admitting it. I would always call the Jets and ask about availability but none to be had. The day before the freezing tundra bowl against cincy at the old stadium - they invited me to go on a new stadium tour. During it the rep shows me two seats in the lower bowl and says there avail if i want them.

It actually caught me by surprise cause i am thinking all of the lower seats had to be scooped up by previous sth but I guess in some cases no.

So I pulled the trigger and yes paid the vig otherwise known as the PSL to get them. I dont regret it and it is just a situation that happened to work out and honestly my good fortune (imagine calling that - i am actually laughing as I type that) came off the back of someone who prob had seats for 20+ years and was priced out by a PSL. I realize that and acknowledge that.

As far as the stadium - simply because I have seats does not make ne defend it. I have stated for me personally, the asthetics mean nothng. I really do not care - I simply want to see a good team on the field.

As far as the experiece which honestly has nothing to do with the stadium but everything to do with the decision makers - it sucks so bad that it is has actually made my decision not to go to some games simply because it is overbearing.  

Well stated.  Same for me. 

In summary for me:  Low attendance has way more to do with the team's quality and the Jets overpricing than the stadium itself.  JN posters & other Jets forum posters always point the finger at the stadium instead of where the blame truly belongs, losing year after year after year.   Jets have sucked for a very long time and no one wants to be gouged for a bad product. 

Put a weekly competitive team out there with far more consistency, and a far greater number of fans will open their wallets and come to the games.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

I was there, like I am for every home game.   The bar for some to call it loud seems to be getting up for a few crucial third downs. I am willing to bet anyone who thinks MetLife is a loud hostile environment has never attended a road game before and witnessed what other places sound like. 

^agree.  Other places far louder.  I've been to several other NFL venues.  And they were often far louder then BOTH MetLife and Giants Stadium, which was often as quiet as a mouse when the Jets were bad, which was most seasons. 

11 minutes ago, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

I go to every home game as well and I would say MetLife has been a "loud, hostile" environment for Jets' opponents in about 4-5 games in its history.  But again, that's a product of how badly the Jets have sucked for the past 12 years.

10 minutes ago, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

A lot of it has to do with the place being built over a swamp (acoustics). I’ve been to arrowhead several times and it’s like a twin go giants stadium. However the lower bowl is actually in the ground (you have to walk down to get to lower level seats there, not up like met life and giants stadium) and the entire place sounds like a sub woofer.

• More Ugh 1

41 minutes ago, ChrebetOverKeyshawn said:

Make Some Noise!!! blaring over the speakers seems to work every time.

?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

NY Giants games have always been packed more than the NY Jets and at BOTH Giants and MetLife Stadiums.  This goes back as far as 1984 when the Jets moved from Shea.  

Giants upper deck PSLs were just $1k and a significant % of them have changed hands or been abandoned.  Upper deck Giants PSLs have zero value on the secondary market outside of seats between the 30's in the first 4 rows. Upper deck has mega empty seats at Giants games as do the overpriced Club sections.  Just not quite as many empties in the uppers and Clubs as there are at Jets games, but still lots of empty seats.

The Giants sideline seats on upper are 5k for PSL. With all the turnover that you are suggesting that's alot of revenue coming in each year to the Maras via PSLs that the Johnsons are missing out on. It's a gift that keeps on giving and due to this they love the turnover as they will keep on getting psl payments evey year.

GIANT Upper level seats on the secondary have plenty of value. They sell for 2 to 3x more than our seats. 

1 minute ago, JETSY14 said:

The Giants sideline seats on upper are 5k for PSL. With all the turnover that you are suggesting that's alot of revenue coming in each year to the Maras via PSLs that the Johnsons are missing out on. It's a gift that keeps on giving and due to this they love the turnover as they will keep on getting psl payments evey year.

GIANT Upper level seats on the secondary have plenty of value. They sell for 2 to 3x more than our seats. 

only the first 4 rows in the upper sidelines were 5k. Those were the rows below promenade. The rest (which were never sold out BTW) were 1K and there has been lots of turnover. At least most of them sold.  Jets would never had been ever to sell, so there's no disagreement there.  ALso, more empties on game days for us, not them.  But there are plenty of empties at giants games.  Thats my point.  

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

80% because the team has been sh*tty for so long and 20% because of the ticket pricing by the Jets.  Make the price reasonable for families and middle class fans and they will come.  the way it is now, it's tremendously over priced and has been since day 1 at MetLife.  

Besides the bills an ne games the ticket prices are reasonable. You can go to tomorrow's game starting at $17 and the Lions game you could of got tickets starting in the $30s. You could also get l.l. or mezz. tickets to both of those games for well under 100.

I dumped my non psl tockets and get them on the secondary market because of this.  Majority of the games I paid under face for l.l. or mezz. seats and paid no psl. The games I couldn't go to I didn't have to worry about selling tickets and taking a lose.

3 minutes ago, JETSY14 said:

Besides the bills an ne games the ticket prices are reasonable. You can go to tomorrow's game starting at $17 and the Lions game you could of got tickets starting in the $30s. You could also get l.l. or mezz. tickets to both of those games for well under 100.

I dumped my non psl tockets and get them on the secondary market because of this.  Majority of the games I paid under face for l.l. or mezz. seats and paid no psl. The games I couldn't go to I didn't have to worry about selling tickets and taking a lose.

Season ticket prices are not really reasonable.  As a STH since the early 80's at Shea, the Jets were the best value ticket wise on the market for the longest time.  No preseason mandatory games...  about $25 per lower level seat in 1984 (1st year at maeadowlands).  The Sack Exchange played there...  all was good.  But that all changed after Hess died.  Prices escalated rapidly over the next decade to the point of  being "overpriced" compared to other franchises  (I know...  that's subjective, but the empty seats don't lie).   Secondary market is cheap because the team sucks every year. Place was filled to capacity in 1998.  Put a good team in there and they will come.  It will take more than a few successful games to change that pattern. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Season ticket prices are not really reasonable.  As a STH since the early 80's at Shea, the Jets were the best value ticket wise on the market for the longest time.  No preseason mandatory games...  about $25 per lower level seat in 1984 (1st year at maeadowlands).  The Sack Exchange played there...  all was good.  But that all changed after Hess died.  Prices escalated rapidly over the next decade to the point of  being "overpriced" compared to other franchises  (I know...  that's subjective, but the empty seats don't lie).   Secondary market is cheap because the team sucks every year. Place was filled to capacity in 1998.  Put a good team in there and they will come.  It will take more than a few successful games to change that pattern. 

You can get season tickets for as low as $500 ($50 a game) for the season and non psl corner endzone mezzanine  seats right next to the club seats  for 975 ($97 a game.

I don't know how much cheaper you want seats to be.

How can you compare 1985 to 2022. Gas prices were 78 cents a gallon and now it's over 3 a gallon. That's over 4x the price. So in comparison jets tickets aren't expensive if you want to compare prices from 1985

Appears the way Metlife is set up, the Jets and Giants made a conscious decision to emphasize club/luxury seats over the plebes. Admittedly can't say how full/empty to club seats were Sunday; with playoffs still a possibility, seemed they were very/kinda full? But when I went before we gave up PSL seats (sec. 249) and on TV since , most weeks there were vast swaths of closed club seats. Only the accountants know; would they have been better off having a full stadium of plebes paying less but buying concessions, merch, parking with less club seats, or often a half empty stadium with a mess of club seat patrons paying top dollar? And then you get back to whether that's a smart way to grow your fan base long term. I would think it's a penny wise/pound foolish way of doing things. 

Also, they jammed a lots of seats into it. Me and the boys all stand 6'1" , +, 250+. Not a comfortable afternoon. Can't upgrade to a bulkhead seat. And I was 4 days after meniscus surgery. 

14 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Appears the way Metlife is set up, the Jets and Giants made a conscious decision to emphasize club/luxury seats over the plebes. Admittedly can't say how full/empty to club seats were Sunday; with playoffs still a possibility, seemed they were very/kinda full? But when I went before we gave up PSL seats (sec. 249) and on TV since , most weeks there were vast swaths of closed club seats. Only the accountants know; would they have been better off having a full stadium of plebes paying less but buying concessions, merch, parking with less club seats, or often a half empty stadium with a mess of club seat patrons paying top dollar? And then you get back to whether that's a smart way to grow your fan base long term. I would think it's a penny wise/pound foolish way of doing things. 

Also, they jammed a lots of seats into it. Me and the boys all stand 6'1" , +, 250+. Not a comfortable afternoon. Can't upgrade to a bulkhead seat. And I was 4 days after meniscus surgery. 

Have to imagine at least 90% of the club seats and suites are spoken for. Generally these arrangements go deeper than how they appear to be. 

12 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Also, they jammed a lots of seats into it. Me and the boys all stand 6'1" , +, 250+. Not a comfortable afternoon. 

Not an architect but it certainly appears it was built around suites first followed by clubs.

Sunday I was taking a good look around and you have a full row of suites betwee the top of the lower bowl and mezz.

tgat alone pushes the mezz further away from the field.

then you gave what appears to be two levels of suites between the mezz and upper. That is what pushes the upper even further away.

thennyou get to the clubs specifically in the mez and based on price and ammeneties, tgat is geared towards the more casual or corp fan.

the day in day out fan was the last thought.

it is what it is and I am sure the jets and guants learned some lessons but if most of your mezz and Lowe seats are sold, they are making in the tens of millions regardless

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And this past game ironically they added the canned Defense chant drowning out the fans trying to do a Defense chant. 

It is ironic isn’t it.

there have been numerous times when they show Ed and the other guys trying to get the chant going and knucklehead in charge of the music drowns them out.

I can recall a few times the look on Ed’s face is wtf?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Is there anything we can do to campaign the Jets about this

I tried a few years ago.

I was basically treated as the boomer who wanted you off my lawn.

they don’t understand balance.

if they get social media likes because Emma and Justin got their selfie on the big board, then they are good