MetLife today — aka Woodys dump

johnnyjet

On 12/21/2022 at 9:49 AM, Dcat said:

Well stated.  Same for me. 

In summary for me:  Low attendance has way more to do with the team's quality and the Jets overpricing than the stadium itself.  JN posters & other Jets forum posters always point the finger at the stadium instead of where the blame truly belongs, losing year after year after year.   Jets have sucked for a very long time and no one wants to be gouged for a bad product. 

Put a weekly competitive team out there with far more consistency, and a far greater number of fans will open their wallets and come to the games.

Combine all this with the immersive effect it is to watch at home, compared to 20-40 years ago, with super-affordable 60-80” big screen TVs and surround sound as loud as you want it. On a ****ty wet, cold, windy, etc. day in the northeast, it’s not even a decision for me as to whether it’s worth the drive to NJ. It’s much more comfortable to not be in the stadium, and the experience isn’t as night & day as it used to be on a 19” or 25” tube tv with sound through that muffled built-in TV speaker & rabbit ears OTA reception. I can even pause if/when things get in the way, when I’m not over someone else’s house or we don’t go to a bar to watch, which is still a fun fan experience tbh, even if it’s a different type than being at the game. 

Once I didn’t have a young single guy’s time anymore (FF is also a thing of the distant past for me), plus no longer living in the city with proximity to the stadium not such a factor, there was no decision as to whether it’s worth eating up 7-8 hrs of my Sunday - let alone every other Sunday - to take the 2+ hr drive each way, plus the buffer time to get there a little early just in case we don’t get to our seats for opening kickoff (or *gasp* time to tailgate a little), driving through that godforsaken city, for the privilege of watching the Jets’ latest overhyped, underperforming QB and their typically lousy or choking defense get beat up, in an overpriced stadium experience that lacks any football or Jets-only character & all the other annoying experiences that come with it (the painful artificial noise & distraction that’s allegedly to get the fans excited/noisy; the $$$ parking passes that, yeah sure I have the money to pay it but nobody likes such a gouge; the crappy beers they sell at premium prices (pee or pee-light); the lines to get anything if I want to eat during a football game; the security line wait to get in (justified as it may be for things from slower security lines to plastic beer bottles, or water/soda bottles with no caps, it all sucks). Even when we finally get close and can see the stadium from the car it’s underwhelming, like this is the hideous thing they built for $2BN??

So yeah, we just stay at home or go to a sports bar. The idea of not just paying, but paying heavily for a full season of tickets, doesn’t even enter the conversation for us. It’d be a burden not a benefit, let alone paying a PSL for the privilege. Now imagine if it was upper half of the upper bowl (where my older ST were in old 302)? Then if it was a corner seat even further away, with the elevation of Metlife making it like you’re watching from the next town & need binoculars? Why buys these? Who wants these?

We watch every game religiously, but whatever the stadium experience adds - for us, anyway - it takes away at least as much as it adds. I probably wouldn’t go to the game tonight if the parking & tickets were free and they paid me $100 per seat, unless they were uniquely great seats, and even then I’d have to really think about whether it’s worth it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Combine all this with the immersive effect it is to watch at home, compared to 20-40 years ago, with super-affordable 60-80” big screen TVs and surround sound as loud as you want it. On a ****ty wet, cold, windy, etc. day in the northeast, it’s not even a decision for me as to whether it’s worth the drive to NJ. It’s much more comfortable to not be in the stadium, and the experience isn’t as night & day as it used to be on a 19” or 25” tube tv with sound through that muffled built-in TV speaker. I can even pause if/when things get in the way, when I’m not over someone else’s house or we don’t go to a bar to watch, which is still a fun fan experience tbh, even if it’s a different type than being at the game. 

Once I didn’t have a young single guy’s time anymore (FF is also a thing of the distant past for me), plus living in the city with proximity to the stadium not such a factor, there was no decision as to whether it’s worth eating up 7-8 hrs of my Sunday - let alone every other Sunday - to take the 2+ hr drive each way, plus the buffer time to get there a little early just in case we don’t get to our seats for opening kickoff (or *gasp* time to tailgate a little), driving through that godforsaken city, for the privilege of watching the Jets’ latest overhyped, underperforming QB and their typically lousy or choking defense get beat up, in an overpriced stadium experience that lacks any football or Jets-only character & all the other annoying experiences that come with it (the painful artificial noise & distraction that’s allegedly to get the fans excited/noisy; the $$$ parking passes that, yeah sure I have the money to pay it but nobody likes such a gouge; the crappy beers they sell at premium prices (pee or pee-light); the lines to get anything if I want to eat during a football game; the security line wait to get in (justified as it may be for things from slower security lines to plastic beer bottles, or water/soda bottles with no caps, it all sucks). Even when we finally get close and can see the stadium from the car it’s underwhelming, like this is the hideous thing they built for $2BN??

So yeah, we just stay at home. The idea of not just paying, but paying heavily for a full season of tickets, doesn’t even enter the conversation for us. It’d be a burden not a benefit, let alone paying a PSL for the privilege. Now imagine if it was upper half of the upper bowl (where my older ST were in old 302)? Then if it was a corner seat even further away, with the elevation of Metlife making it like you’re watching from the next town & need binoculars? Why buys these? Who wants these?

We watch every game religiously, but whatever the stadium experience adds - for us, anyway - it takes away at least as much as it adds. I probably wouldn’t go to the game tonight if the parking & tickets were free and they paid me $100 per seat, unless they were uniquely great seats, and even then I’d have to really think about whether it’s worth it. 

Agree with most of this, especially the upper deck seats.  this place is going to be a ghost town tonight.  But it's just a different feeling going to the game, bonding with family/friends - different than at home on TV (which is better to watch the game often).

disagree with your Godforsaken city comment unless you are talking about Hempstead.  Then I agree.

15 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Agree with most of this, especially the upper deck seats.  this place is going to be a ghost town tonight.  But it's just a different feeling going to the game, bonding with family/friends - different than at home on TV (which is better to watch the game often).

disagree with your Godforsaken city comment unless you are talking about Hempstead.  Then I agree.

Hempstead isn’t the city. The city is the city, and it’s a ****hole (never mind the exhausting, slow drive through it at virtually any time of day). But to each his own. 

I bond with family/friends watching the game every Sunday (why I’m so rarely in the game thread) without being in a stadium. Yes the experience is different, and there are positives of course, but for us the tradeoff is nothing compared to what it also takes away. I used to love it. Now? Bleh. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hempstead isn’t the city. The city is the city, and it’s a ****hole (never mind the exhausting, slow drive through it at virtually any time of day). But to each his own. 

I bond with family/friends watching the game every Sunday (why I’m so rarely in the game thread) without being in a stadium. Yes the experience is different, and there are positives of course, but for us the tradeoff is nothing compared to what it also takes away. I used to love it. Now? Bleh. 

i get it, priorities change.  for me getting to spend 5 hours with my son (without anyone else or his phone/ipad) is worth it.

hopefully the city can finally pass a congestion bill or raise the tolls so that there aren't as many people just driving thru it.  Agree it's no fun and not good for residents.