QB is NOT the biggest problem with this team

JohnnyLV

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not a thread to argue Zach was White. Any objective analysis would suggest that both are flawed enough that neither might be the long term solution.

I believe that the vast vast vast majority of the problem with this team is Mike LaFleur.

I would put forth that he is one of the worst OCs the Jets have ever had. And we have had so many complete stinkers as OC.

Although there are many issues (being maybe the worst play caller in the NFL is ignored here) the biggest one is:

Mike LaFleur wants to run his system PERIOD.

He believes that his system is essentially perfect and any breakdown in that system is not a function of a system fit, but a lack of execution. And that is completely and totally wrong.

Zach Wilson coming out of college was known to struggle/be weaker with certain types of plays in college. What were those? Dump off passes,. especially to the right and crossing patterns in the middle of the field and somewhat with quick slants.

Where Wilson was elite was in exploiting the width of the field with outs, come backs stick routs and sideline routes being exceptionally good at back shoulder throws and especially at exploiting the deep thirds of the field. He was excellent at throwing off of RPO motion and especially rolling both right and left and throwing down the field vertically. 

Because of his strengths, Wilson excelled in spread -wide formations and open splits and had uncanny ability to exploit defenses outside the numbers on the FAR hash.  Because of all the pressure he put on the edges he was exceptional at throwing up the seam and also middle screens.

So what does this loser of an OC do? Try to force Zach into his "system"

And his system is literally the worst possible fit for him as a QB.

In LaFleur's own words his version of the "Shanahan" offense is offense in a phone booth Literally a system designed to attack the fugging MIDDLE of the field between the numbers with short slants and crossing routes, timing routes, a running game focused between the tackles and to attack the edge with swing passes and screens and try to get YAC. Literally everything it tries to do is the exact opposite of what the guy is good at. And the plays that LaFleur runs are not quick developing plays and require multiple reads and very quick decisions and well our OL sucks.

And we saw it today. Zach was able to make quite a few plays outside the pocket and when attacking the deep third, but does LaFleur go with it? Not a chance. He stubbornly goes back to his "system" and Zach loses his mind and really struggles the third quarter. Then when it matters in the 4th Zach is allowed to do what he is decent at and makes some plays.

So in the end it was a mediocre outing. But you are literally asking the guy to do what he is literally not good at. Over and over and over.

Take Mac Jones. He sucks. He is not as good of a QB as Zach but he can do some things reasonably well. He can throw screens and pick plays and plays in the middle of the field, screens and hand off the ball a lot. So the NE offense is entirely that.

Make no mistake Zach would be a MUCH better QB with competent coaching. He would be successful in San Diego's system and Bruce Arians and Sean Payton would LOVE him.

But LaFleur is too stubborn to adjust for Zach. Zach struggles he gets emotional and amped up and loses his mind. 

I am not sure Zach can ever be successful under this guy. White is not very good btw, but he is better at the core LaFleur principles so the offense is slightly more effective, but White has no off schedule ability and to be honest is not very clutch.

Then add in the fact that LaFleur is a HORRIBLE play caller and clearly has no idea how to script opening drives and it is just a mess

LaFleur is the brother of his best friend so he will never do anything, but LaFleur should be gone. BTW under Shanahan Zach would be successful because he adapts for the strengths and weaknesses of his players something LaFleur abjectly refuses to do.

Been saying this...

He hasn't even been that great with MW under center either....Breece Hall's play masked a ton of the issues with playcalling

Saleh made a huge mistake hiring such an inexperienced staff....Knapp's tragedy aside..

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not a thread to argue Zach was White. Any objective analysis would suggest that both are flawed enough that neither might be the long term solution.

I believe that the vast vast vast majority of the problem with this team is Mike LaFleur.

I would put forth that he is one of the worst OCs the Jets have ever had. And we have had so many complete stinkers as OC.

Although there are many issues (being maybe the worst play caller in the NFL is ignored here) the biggest one is:

He believes that his system is essentially perfect and any breakdown in that system is not a function of a system fit, but a lack of execution. And that is completely and totally wrong.

Zach Wilson coming out of college was known to struggle/be weaker with certain types of plays in college. What were those? Dump off passes,. especially to the right and crossing patterns in the middle of the field and somewhat with quick slants.

Where Wilson was elite was in exploiting the width of the field with outs, come backs stick routs and sideline routes being exceptionally good at back shoulder throws and especially at exploiting the deep thirds of the field. He was excellent at throwing off of RPO motion and especially rolling both right and left and throwing down the field vertically. 

Because of his strengths, Wilson excelled in spread -wide formations and open splits and had uncanny ability to exploit defenses outside the numbers on the FAR hash.  Because of all the pressure he put on the edges he was exceptional at throwing up the seam and also middle screens.

In LaFleur's own words his version of the "Shanahan" offense is offense in a phone booth Literally a system designed to attack the fugging MIDDLE of the field between the numbers with short slants and crossing routes, timing routes, a running game focused between the tackles and to attack the edge with swing passes and screens and try to get YAC. Literally everything it tries to do is the exact opposite of what the guy is good at. And the plays that LaFleur runs are not quick developing plays and require multiple reads and very quick decisions and well our OL sucks.

And we saw it today. Zach was able to make quite a few plays outside the pocket and when attacking the deep third, but does LaFleur go with it? Not a chance. He stubbornly goes back to his "system" and Zach loses his mind and really struggles the third quarter. Then when it matters in the 4th Zach is allowed to do what he is decent at and makes some plays.

So in the end it was a mediocre outing. But you are literally asking the guy to do what he is literally not good at. Over and over and over.

Take Mac Jones. He sucks. He is not as good of a QB as Zach but he can do some things reasonably well. He can throw screens and pick plays and plays in the middle of the field, screens and hand off the ball a lot. So the NE offense is entirely that.

Make no mistake Zach would be a MUCH better QB with competent coaching. He would be successful in San Diego's system and Bruce Arians and Sean Payton would LOVE him.

But LaFleur is too stubborn to adjust for Zach. Zach struggles he gets emotional and amped up and loses his mind. 

I am not sure Zach can ever be successful under this guy. White is not very good btw, but he is better at the core LaFleur principles so the offense is slightly more effective, but White has no off schedule ability and to be honest is not very clutch.

Then add in the fact that LaFleur is a HORRIBLE play caller and clearly has no idea how to script opening drives and it is just a mess

LaFleur is the brother of his best friend so he will never do anything, but LaFleur should be gone. BTW under Shanahan Zach would be successful because he adapts for the strengths and weaknesses of his players something LaFleur abjectly refuses to do.

There has to be a reason why Zach starts out pretty well then sort of implodes and this is the first reasonable explanation I’ve seen. Other than ADD which is a lazy knee jerk response 

2 minutes ago, Xtina said:

There has to be a reason why Zach starts out pretty well then sort of implodes and this is the first reasonable explanation I’ve seen. Other than ADD which is a lazy knee jerk response 

He actually does have ADHD and took Aderall in college for it. Not sure if he takes it in the NFL. They can allow it under an exemption but rarely do.

33 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Example.....

Look at Daniel Jones....you think he magically became a better QB, or has Daboll done an excellent job calling to his strengths and giving him easier reads? 

Daniel Jones has made himself a lot of money with his play this year. Thank you Brian Daboll thank you.

Very good breakdown. But in fairness, LaFleur wants the “phone booth” offense 80% of the time, with the other 20% trying to generate explosives outside the pocket. What this offense and staff seeks are complete players. Guys who can do everything that each individual game plan calls for; one dimensional players are frowned upon and won’t play (as we saw with Mims last year).

Don’t get me wrong, I get so ******* frustrated with our coaching sometimes; I hate the square peg into round hole games and it often feels like MLF outsmarts himself. But at the same time I think you need to force young players to perform in areas that aren’t necessarily natural for them because when it does click for Zach or other guys like Mims and Moore and they’re able to consistently do the little things right, they can become very dangerous players (in a good way). It would be easy for LaFleur to scrap everything and only do what Zach or Mike do well, but that would be abandoning their process and quite frankly not sure that would be best for their development either.

I have plenty of complaints but I do think they have the right staff in place. The kind of multi-dimensional offense MLF is trying to build is best to achieve sustainable success, just haven’t seen the results consistently enough yet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

This is spot on 

37 minutes ago, football guy said:

Very good breakdown. But in fairness, LaFleur wants the “phone booth” offense 80% of the time, with the other 20% trying to generate explosives outside the pocket. What this offense and staff seeks are complete players. Guys who can do everything that each individual game plan calls for; one dimensional players are frowned upon and won’t play (as we saw with Mims last year).

Don’t get me wrong, I get so ******* frustrated with our coaching sometimes; I hate the square peg into round hole games and it often feels like MLF outsmarts himself. But at the same time I think you need to force young players to perform in areas that aren’t necessarily natural for them because when it does click for Zach or other guys like Mims and Moore and they’re able to consistently do the little things right, they can become very dangerous players (in a good way). It would be easy for LaFleur to scrap everything and only do what Zach or Mike do well, but that would be abandoning their process and quite frankly not sure that would be best for their development either.

I have plenty of complaints but I do think they have the right staff in place. The kind of multi-dimensional offense MLF is trying to build is best to achieve sustainable success, just haven’t seen the results consistently enough yet. 

Fair enough but as Zach is developing why can't it be like 80/20 or 70/30 the stuff Zach does well?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, football guy said:

Oh yeah. That seems reasonable. So keep drafting first round WRs. 

This post is way too long but I think it’s actually pretty good. The Jets are trying to create a pure system offense like the 49ers and it’s rigid as heck. It just so happens MW fits this system A LOT better than ZW. Like it’s not even close. 

I think the ZW/MW decision is ultimately gonna come down to whether Saleh is married long-term to MLF’s system. If he wants to run it long-term, I think MW is back. If he doesn’t, I think MLF, and his system, are both goners in the off-season.

The Jets will give ZW one more shot in a more vertical offense w/a new coordinator to see if that helps him consistently play like the #2 pick. Something to pay attention to, IMO.

MLF & MW are tied at the hip, if you ask me. 

• Upvote 2

I'm a regular guy who watches on Sundays and follows the league regularly, I'm no football professional and only played 1 year of it myself. I shouldn't be able to tell the people I'm watching the game with what play we're running and where the balls going on a majority of 1st and 2nd downs. I hope one day I love something as much as Lafleur loves putting his qbs in 3rd and long situations 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Example.....

Look at Daniel Jones....you think he magically became a better QB, or has Daboll done an excellent job calling to his strengths and giving him easier reads? 

is he that much better? i dont watch them but from Media and friends who are fans of theirs nobody is sure that he shown them enough to come back next year. it also doesnt hurt to have Barkley with over 1,000 yds with 4 games to go.

39 minutes ago, DireJet said:

This post is way too long but I think it’s actually pretty good. The Jets are trying to create a pure system offense like the 49ers and it’s rigid as heck. It just so happens MW fits this system A LOT better than ZW. Like it’s not even close. 

I think the ZW/MW decision is ultimately gonna come down to whether Saleh is married long-term to MLF’s system. If he wants to run it long-term, I think MW is back. If he doesn’t, I think MLF, and his system, are both goners in the off-season.

The Jets will give ZW one more shot in a more vertical offense w/a new coordinator to see if that helps him consistently play like the #2 pick. Something to pay attention to, IMO.

MLF & MW are tied at the hip, if you ask me. 

Saleh wants to run a rigid Shanahan WCO as much as MLF does....his own words "We don't need the QB to do too much". My issue with MLF is that he won't even run staples of the offense for Zach like bootlegs and RPOs(You see this more in Matt's version in GB then Shanahan) more then once or twice a game.....

I agree that MW is better suited for it and thus the offense is more successful....I don't see Saleh moving away even though I think MLF is a horrid playcaller....we're better off signing QBs that fit the offense more then finding raw talent at the position.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, doitny said:

is he that much better? i dont watch them but from Media and friends who are fans of theirs nobody is sure that he shown them enough to come back next year. it also doesnt hurt to have Barkley with over 1,000 yds with 4 games to go.

No, he isn't.....he has a coach that's willing to work around his faults and emphasize his strengths....and it's lead to wins for the most part

41 minutes ago, football guy said:

That’s my biggest complaint. Why can’t he be a little more flexible. I felt the same way about Mims last year… You have a 6’3” freak with great speed and top-notch contested catch ability. Why not give him a small package of plays to run the routes he’s good at? Why can’t you develop the guy in the background/on the fly while also maximizing their talent real time by incorporating plays that suit their strengths? 

I have yet to get a rationale, straight-forward answer on this. And I think the reason comes down to exactly what you’re alluding to: the coordinator is convicted that his system works, and if the players can’t play within the timing and rhythm of it then it’s a they problem not a he problem. Different personalities, different scheme, but very Gasian in this respect.

Inexperience is largely at play here......All of the other adopters of the Shanahan/McVay style offense (Matt Lafleur, Zac Taylor, etc) have adapted their offense to fit their QBs.....GB runs a lot more RPO for Rodgers.....Cincy runs a lot more spread concepts for Burrow.......even McVay tweaked the offense since trading for Stafford to incorporate more downfield strikes with his arm......Mikey boy is the only one who has no feel for setting up his QB to be successful. Two things are true.....Zach has sucked at what he's been asked to do, MLF has sucked at playcalling and coaching to his QBs strengths. MW has been great at running what Mikey wants to do so he's the best option right now.....

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1