Brilliant Lawson signing

hmhertz

Mosley as pointed out to me the other day has all of these gaudy tackles stats but for a seasoned vet he has made two terrible terrible plays the last two games that had major impact on each game.  I'd be more than happy to dump him if possible.

Lawson has been a major disappointment.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think JJII & Clemons together can take Lawson's place just fine. Lawson's fine, but he's not the $15MM/yr difference-maker he was brought in to be, and don't expect him back.

Mosley's replacement isn't on the roster. They could go with a hybrid solution, like signing an older vet who isn't such a bankbreaker anymore & also won't get too many guaranteed seasons - maybe Lavonte David - and also draft someone in the first 2 rounds. 

Damn shame we didn't hang onto Demario Davis. Better + smarter player, at about half Mosley's pricetag. Avery Williamson was brought in to be a slightly cheaper, and younger version. He hasn't seen the field on defense since age 28, and is outright out of the league now. Meanwhile Davis is still starting at almost 34 and has more starting seasons left in him. 

Agree with you about Demario Davis but the guy is seen in a far more favourable light here since he left than he ever was when he was a Jet….people couldn’t get rid of him fast enough. 

• Upvote 2

Carl Lawson has what?…5 sacks on the year? With 3 games to go. That’s about bang on for his average career production. He is pretty much as advertised. We still need that elite edge rusher to threaten double digit sacks on the other side. Not sure if JJ will be that guy.
We could do with a Judon or Chandler Jones type and this D would be significantly scarier, and thus guys like Lawson would probably be more effective 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Signing the always getting injured guy, when Judon & Hedrickson

were available in the same FA class

Well that’s a bit of a misrepresentation. He’s had two injuries, one of them in a Jet uniform. 

Sure, rupturing your ACL is a big deal but I don’t know if it’s predictive of tearing your Achilles.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah I don’t get it we got who we thought he was. I was slammed for suggesting this at the signing but he is a straight line bully who generates pressure (a good thing) but lacks the bend to counter a QB stepping up in/rolling out of the pocket to close with a lot of sacks.

You also make the same point that Lawson can be the hammer if we get an anvil. He’s a guy who needs a running mate on the other side as evidenced by his best years being when all-world Geno Akins was on the other side.

Absolutely 100%…everyone gets better when you add talent alongside them. It was noticeable yesterday how we weren’t as effective without Q.
I’d really like to see us add another highly disruptive player either on the interior alongside Williams or on the edge. Lawson can still be an effective presence in this D but if people thought he was going to flourish into a 12 sack guy they were always going to be disappointed….that achilles injury is always a tough one to come back from as well, at least immediately, he’s likely better next year being a full off-season removed and he’ll still be pretty young. I don’t think Lawson is a major problem for us.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Carl Lawson has 6 sacks (the same amount as Trey Hendrickson) if he gets 2 more sacks, that ties his career high, 3 more, sets a career high.  Idk, seems like the Jets got what they paid for, a good player, not a great player who gets more hurries and hits than he does sacks, which is exactly what he did during his time w/ the Bengals.  The thing is, while you complain about his production, he is a very important fixture on arguably the best DL in the NFL.  So, idk, while I wish Lawson was as good as Judon, seems like the Jets got exactly what they thought they were getting, a good Football player. 

i would also expect him to be better next year, here or somewhere else. coming off an achilles tear isn't easy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Carl Lawson has 6 sacks (the same amount as Trey Hendrickson) if he gets 2 more sacks, that ties his career high, 3 more, sets a career high.  Idk, seems like the Jets got what they paid for, a good player, not a great player who gets more hurries and hits than he does sacks, which is exactly what he did during his time w/ the Bengals.  The thing is, while you complain about his production, he is a very important fixture on arguably the best DL in the NFL.  So, idk, while I wish Lawson was as good as Judon, seems like the Jets got exactly what they thought they were getting, a good Football player. 

Probably right. It was the fans who pretended he was the next coming of Lawrence Taylor that cause this disappointment.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, football guy said:

As tough as the Mosley play was, I do give credit to the Lions and their execution of the play. Extremely well designed, perfectly blocked, and the TE did a great job selling it. The biggest culprit was Michael Carter II. He took a god awful angle and could’ve tackled him at the 25 had he took the correct angle. 

That play yesterday was on Williams or Whitehead. Bart said the same on the post game. They were in man, Mosley had the guy in motion. It was probably 95% on Williams. Week 14 and these guys still don’t know their assignments. You can’t coach stupid.

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Mosley and Lawson will be big money coming off the Cap in the next two years. That’s the good thing. But those guys need to be replaced. I am not sure that Sherwood and Jermaine Johnson will be those long-term replacements.

Corey Davis too.  I believe he counts around $13m towards next year's cap and there's zero chance he's getting that much money with Mims' development and his injury issues.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, football guy said:

As tough as the Mosley play was, I do give credit to the Lions and their execution of the play. Extremely well designed, perfectly blocked, and the TE did a great job selling it. The biggest culprit was Michael Carter II. He took a god awful angle and could’ve tackled him at the 25 had he took the correct angle. 

It was an excellent play.

It SHOULD have been a first down.  Not a 50 yard TD pass.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Lawson's Achilles injury was unfortunate....but it just sucks that Cincy was willing to dump Lawson to go after the better pass rusher(Hendrickson) that we could have tried to sign....

At the time, the Jets were also awful, and a lot of FA simply did not want to come play here.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Carl Lawson has what?…5 sacks on the year? With 3 games to go. That’s about bang on for his average career production. He is pretty much as advertised. We still need that elite edge rusher to threaten double digit sacks on the other side. Not sure if JJ will be that guy.
We could do with a Judon or Chandler Jones type and this D would be significantly scarier, and thus guys like Lawson would probably be more effective 

Yes, he's never been a double digit sack guy but at least in the past he would bring significant pressure forcing bad throws, turnovers, incompletions etc...  Right now though, we're not seeing any of that from him.

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Well that’s a bit of a misrepresentation. He’s had two injuries, one of them in a Jet uniform. 

Sure, rupturing your ACL is a big deal but I don’t know if it’s predictive of tearing your Achilles.

He had another acl at auburn. He had 2 major leg injuries before he signed 

8 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Agree with you about Demario Davis but the guy is seen in a far more favourable light here since he left than he ever was when he was a Jet….people couldn’t get rid of him fast enough. 

Fans aren't GMs, though. Still, at the time it was presented as replacing him with a player about as good, 3 years younger, and a decent amount cheaper. I even bought into it to a degree - or anyway, my rare not-killing Macc for a move (shows the folly of ever giving that boob the benefit of the doubt, lol) - because those who claimed to know Williamson better than I did said he was a player on par with Davis.

Well, it turns out Williamson wasn't Davis's peer, and it was a huge mistake; then the mistake was compounded by guaranteeing CJM $51MM which he dragged out to a 4th season.