Time to Build the Defense Around Sauce

That was one of the best offenses in the league we played yesterday and they just avoided Sauce all together. Rex forced teams to throw at Revis by rolling coverage to other areas and putting him on an island against the best. Funnel the passes towards Sauce or areas w/an extra defender. Ulbrich should do the same - maybe work in a few plays this year but really go balls out in the off season.

edit: to be clear, this thread is in no way suggesting the defense was a problem yesterday. The point is it can be even better because we have Sauce.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That was one of the best offenses in the league we played yesterday and they just avoided Sauce all together. Rex forced teams to throw at Revis by rolling coverage to other areas and putting him on an island against the best. Ulbrich should do the same - maybe work in a few plays this year but really go balls out in the off season.

Their defense is fine the way it is

• Upvote 1

Everyone is going nuts, the defense gave up 9 points. If Zach had a Mike White 1/6 game getting into the red zone. The Jets win. The defense is fine.

Specials gave up 6 and Zach gave up 3 with a bad pick.

This is getting crazy, the offense was not fluid at all yesterday. Zach hit some plays to give them the lead, but guess what. The defense allowed him to get to the lead by doing what they do.

The defense can only do so much. They played fine against one of the top offenses in the league.

If The Jets offense had any fluidity yesterday, they win going away.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Green Truth said:

Everyone is going nuts, the defense gave up 9 points. If Zach had a Mike White 1/6 game getting into the red zone. The Jets win. The defense is fine.

Specials gave up 6 and Zach gave up 3 with a bad pick.

This is getting crazy, the offense was not fluid at all yesterday. Zach hit some plays to give them the lead, but guess what. The defense allowed him to get to the lead by doing what they do.

The defense can only do so much. They played fine against one of the top offenses in the league.

If The Jets offense had any fluidity yesterday, they win going away.

This thread is not suggesting the defense played poorly yesterday. The point is we have a guy at CB the defense can be built around. The defense can be even better than it is.

• Upvote 1

The OL was the issue yesterday. MW would have been crushed by the pressure - compounded by even less escapability because of his ribs. ZW just is not fundamentally there in a clean pocket with a structured play, and is a gamble when going off-script. But either QB would have been crippled by no consistent run game, between the OL musical chairs and the RB's getting hurt. (Where was Johnson yesterday?) 

The OL may have enough talent, even after all the injuries, to be competent - but not after they all just met each other a week ago. When our OL - or any OL - plays together for a few games with the same personnel, they get better.  If they don't - and couple that with lesser talent as the injuries mount - you get yesterday's uneven performance. An eight yard pickup followed by a 2 yard loss. A good pocket followed by a jailbreak. OL consistency, even by a bunch of JAGs, is achieved by lots of reps. And that doesn't happen in the middle of a season. 

The only criticism I have for a defense that gave up 13 points is their inability to produce a turnover.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

as long as LB and safety coverage continue to be a liability.....teams will continue to avoid Sauce when possible....

Also we play a defense where CBs don't typically travel....so Opposing OCs can just scheme their receivers to line up in different spots

I'm saying they should add to the scheme. I know this isn't how it works today.

I must have done a terrible job explaining thread because the responses so far completely miss the point.

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm saying they should add to the scheme. I know this isn't how it works today.

I must have done a terrible job explaining thread because the responses so far completely miss the point.

I understand you're saying to add some wrinkles, but these are the same guys that have shown their sticking to their guns more or less. They aren't exactly the poster children for flexibility lol 

Rex for all his faults was way more creative in the way he approached coaching defense....

10 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

as long as LB and safety coverage continue to be a liability.....teams will continue to avoid Sauce when possible....

Also we play a defense where CBs don't typically travel....so Opposing OCs can just scheme their receivers to line up in different spots

This is really the answer. I agree with OP though. I'd like to see more man coverage. I don't care how good Sauce is if teams are going to rotate their lineups so their best WR is on MC2.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

This is really the answer. I agree with OP though. I'd like to see more man coverage. I don't care how good Sauce is if teams are going to rotate their lineups so their best WR is on MC2.

To be fair we do play a lot more Cover 1/Cover 4 then Saleh's traditional Cover 3 where Sauce and DJ can match and play man on the outside if the WRs are stretching the field......but they don't travel and in today's NFL most top WRs are chess pieces that can play any of the receiver positions. 

• Upvote 1