Robert Saleh backs Jets' Zach Wilson, slams 'instant-coffee' era

16 minutes ago, C Mart said:

"slams 'instant-coffee' era

And he's right....

That doesn't mean ZW improves any further..But once again the Jets fanbase is writing off another highly drafted QB before their contract expires. In this case 18 months after he was drafted. Some gleefully.

T.Lawrence over the past month is finally playing like all the pundits proclaimed would when he came out.  And he had 4 yrs of college experience.

Highly doubt this franchise will be allowed to develop a highly drafted QB..

Agree somewhat. Sanchez wasn’t ready to start as a rookie either. Wilson coming from byu without much experience, never should have touched the field at least the first 2 years. Unless it was garbage time this yr, can’t develop a young qb while a very talented team is trying to make the playoffs. Qb can’t be the weakest link, especially on a good team. Looks like his very short time as scout qb did him good in beginning of game, before he reverted back. That is coaches and JD’s fault for rushing a qb who is nowhere near ready to be a starter.  Mike white is better not because he has more mobility, stronger arm. He is just more experienced and was never rushed on the field before he was ready. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Zach Wilson shouldn't have been given the starting role. He should have sat. Yes I know there is no correlation overall between sitting and starting success, but that's because it depends on the player. ZW is a project player who should have held the clipboard until it was sure he was ready. Especially with the crap roster of last season.

Instead he's where he is now.

#2 in the draft a project?????  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Wit said:

If you don't want an instant coffee era QB, don't draft a guy number two and immediately play him. Saleh and JD are going down with Zach. Its sad to see. 

Excellent point. Maybe don’t promise a preemie QB prospect a starting NFL job at his pro day and maybe fans will be less likely to expect starting QB production

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Wit said:

If you don't want an instant coffee era QB, don't draft a guy number two and immediately play him. Saleh and JD are going down with Zach. Its sad to see. 

Bingo....Wilson should never have started Year 1, or maybe only the last 4 or 5 games when we were mathematically eliminated for experience.

Then he should have had a full competition in camp to earn the right to be the starter.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Excellent point. Maybe don’t promise a preemie QB prospect a starting NFL job at his pro day and maybe fans will be less likely to expect starting QB production

This quote by Saleh is soaked in regret. He obviously regrets the benching. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If Saleh doesn’t believe in “instant coffee” why not let Wilson slow brew for a year?

It served Patrick Mahomes pretty well to sit and watch and learn the pro game from the sidelines for a year.

I like Saleh, but how they’ve handled Wilson has been to coddle him and hand him a job from day 1 without having to earn anything.

And now they act surprised that he hasn’t developed.

You know, I really have no clue why they did that. Hopefully that was a rookie HC mistake. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Nah.

We’d stil be ripping them for wasting such a high pick on a guy to carry a clip board on the sidelines.

It’s an instagram world, not instant coffee world anymore anyway.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Hex said:

Zach Wilson shouldn't have been given the starting role. He should have sat. Yes I know there is no correlation overall between sitting and starting success, but that's because it depends on the player. ZW is a project player who should have held the clipboard until it was sure he was ready. Especially with the crap roster of last season.

Instead he's where he is now.

This team wasn't winning last season and many thought they'd win 4 or 5 games this year. Sitting Zach made no sense and would just push the evaluation further into his contract. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Hex said:

SF drafted Trey Lance with the #3 pick and he for sure was a project. It's not so uncommon as one might think.

Maybe project is the wrong word, but Zach Wilson was definitely not NFL ready coming out of college, and that should have been obvious. I doubt they drafted him with the expectation that he would immediately lift this franchise out of the water.

Yeah, I think if anything Joe Douglas underestimated the vitriol of the NY Jets fan base and media.

The pressure and outward hatred of a 22 year kid is very bizarre and, unfortunately,  clearly got to him.  

Zach surely will have to develop thicker skin if he want to succeed here.

13 minutes ago, Wit said:

Meh. Then you’d have the veteran QB playing avg football and we’d be questioning why the 2nd overall pick can’t step in already. 
This fan base and most fan bases, have no patience. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

This team wasn't winning last season and many thought they'd win 4 or 5 games this year. Sitting Zach made no sense and would just push the evaluation further into his contract. 

Completely agree. Sitting him for two years results in how many more wins last year and this with porcelain-doll Mike or club foot Flacco? I'd rather he get game speed experience these past two years and hope for the best next year (but hopefully the next three games)! I hope we are ahead of schedule in ZW's rookie development. God I hope so...