Three Things that must happen in the offseason

1) Fix the goddamn turf. The injuries are way too many, and even though some have taken place in away games, a responsible organization needs to eliminate variables. The Jets need to eliminate the issue with the turf as a variable, and then observe if there are perceivable changes in the amount of injuries we have. A multi-million dollar US team should be intelligent enought to do everyting that is necessary to protect its active assets. 

2) Keep investing high in the oline. You have no other choice. This means doubling down on free agency + draft. Nobody in the oline, with the exception of McGovern is (I can´t believe I am about to type this) reliable. We do not have the surplus of picks of previous years, so greater pressure than ever. No QB will be successfull with that putrid line. Excuse: "We have too many injuries". Reply: See point 1.

3) Mike White has flaws and is unpolished. Zach Wilson is undisciplined, mentally slow, and does not have the basic mechanics needed for a 2nd year QB. Biggest difference. White ignites the offense, Wilson kills their spirit. It is not a difficult decision. Make the decision, Get rid of one of them, and then bring QB competition in the form of a free agent. 

• Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Neither white nor wilson are going anywhere.  They will battle it out for qb1 next year.

I agree. I've mentally walked through this many times, that's the most likely scenario. I don't think they hand either the job on paper but in a fair fight, white should win it regardless. Here's what I think happens in order of likelood:

1. White and zach battle, loser is backup. Streveler (or other journeyman/project) is emergency 3rd guy on practice squad.

2. FA/trade target given starting job, zach is backup, white is gone. Streveler (or other journeyman/project) is emergency 3rd guy on practice squad.

3. White and zach battle while they draft a 3rd qb and carry 3 qbs every week on the active roster.

17 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

1) Fix the goddamn turf. The injuries are way too many, and even though some have taken place in away games, a responsible organization needs to eliminate variables. The Jets need to eliminate the issue with the turf as a variable, and then observe if there are perceivable changes in the amount of injuries we have. A multi-million dollar US team should be intelligent enought to do everyting that is necessary to protect its active assets. 

2) Keep investing high in the oline. You have no other choice. This means doubling down on free agency + draft. Nobody in the oline, with the exception of McGovern is (I can´t believe I am about to type this) reliable. We do not have the surplus of picks of previous years, so greater pressure than ever. No QB will be successfull with that putrid line. Excuse: "We have too many injuries". Reply: See point 1.

3) Mike White has flaws and is unpolished. Zach Wilson is undisciplined, mentally slow, and does not have the basic mechanics needed for a 2nd year QB. Biggest difference. White ignites the offense, Wilson kills their spirit. It is not a difficult decision. Make the decision, Get rid of one of them, and then bring QB competition in the form of a free agent. 

Thats it? 1 2 3? You forgot 4 5 6 7 8 9 10.

6 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I agree. I've mentally walked through this many times, that's the most likely scenario. I don't think they hand either the job on paper but in a fair fight, white should win it regardless. Here's what I think happens in order of likelood:

1. White and zach battle, loser is backup. Streveler (or other journeyman/project) is emergency 3rd guy on practice squad.

2. FA/trade target given starting job, zach is backup, white is gone. Streveler (or other journeyman/project) is emergency 3rd guy on practice squad.

3. White and zach battle while they draft a 3rd qb and carry 3 qbs every week on the active roster.

1. if this happens its a rigged battle. they want to see Zach play again cause of his talent hoping maybe he can complete passes like a NFL QB and not a HS one. he starts day 1. but i doubt he finishes week 17.

2. White is gone. he has shown enough that someone will pay more than JD will. 

3. they will never carry 3 on the roster. Saleh said it somewhere a while ago that it would take away from ST. so unless that QB can play ST there wont be a 3rd one on gameday.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Neither white nor wilson are going anywhere.  They will battle it out for qb1 next year.

Won’t be much of a battle lol. Think it’s much more likely bring in a Vet who will compete with white, sure let Wilson think he too is in competition for job. But he needs a TON of work. And maybe a full yr in yr 3 as red shirt will prepare him  for chance to compete for starting job in yr 4. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

That will definitely not happen. One of them will be gone. I just hope is the right one. 

I'll save you both the suspense. Wilson stays, White goes. 

White is the better QB. But he far from a good starting NFL QB. And he will cost too much for the Jets, considering his talent and skill level (and the fact that he can't stay on the field). They have a ton of FAs they need to bring back, despite a few guys they can dump to clear space and despite the cap going up. He's fine but for the contract he will want the Jets will pass.

Zach is still young and under contract. JD still believes in his talent. He will at worst sit and learn one more year as a backup while JD goes out and signs (or trades for) a LEGIT vet QB- as he absolutely should. 

JD will find a way to fit the new vet QB under the cap. Good GMs are always able to do this and I consider him a good GM. 

Guys like Davis and Lawson will be cap casualties. I'm not an expert but if JD can figure out something to do with the albatross of a contract CJ Mosley has, that would help clear some cap as well.  He seems like the kind of guy willing to re-structure. He's already done it once. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Isn't White a FA though?  He might get a good offer elsewhere and want out of this franchise, who clearly seems to still want ZW to be the guy.

thats another reason i forgot to mention. why stay here when they clearly want to keep given Zach more chances. better chance to start somewhere else. 

21 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

If this happens I will be very much disappointed. It would suggest to me that this team does not have SB aspirations right now and is willing to wait to be truly competitive. 

White is just not the guy I see leading us to the promised land. Neither is Zach (unless the light bulb suddenly comes on). 

People need to stop acting like he is under contract and he will be 'battling it out with Zach'. If the Jets sign White to a new contract they are committed to him. They won't be signing him to a brand new contract to be the backup. And I just don't see that happening. There are too many other options and JD would be smart to go in a different direction- with a proven vet, preferably someone very good who can take us over the hump.     

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Isn't White a FA though?  He might get a good offer elsewhere and want out of this franchise, who clearly seems to still want ZW to be the guy.

If it’s only zach Wilson he is competing with I think he would love to stay. If jets try to spend on a vet and give him cheap deal for possible 3 way competition, you may be right. 

24 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

1.) Pretty sure they’ve already announced that MetLife will have a new field surface next year. Hopefully they’ve done some research. 

2.) They get AVT, Mitchell, and (yes, I know he can’t be counted on) Becton back next year. They need at least one starting OT. One bigger ticket free agent and and one or two draft picks (not necessarily first round) should be pretty sufficient before adding lower tier depth guys. 

3.) Agreed. I think it’s unlikely that they would keep both, and I think that would be a mistake. Unfortunately, Zach is the central piece of that equation. What value do they still believe he has for the franchise vs. what they might possibly get in a trade for him. If their only concern with White is his durability, keeping him and bringing in that Minshew type backup/threat to start would probably be good. What White will cost in free agency vs. the cost of other potentially available QBs being the other part of the equation. I’m not usually a fan of blockbuster deals where the Jets are on the spending end but, with the young talent on the rest of this team, it may be time to break the bank for a potential surer thing. 

I’ll add a 4.), I think this defense is thisclose to being absolutely dominant, and while the LB position gets most of the conversation around here (and they will need to add someone there), I’d be very happy with a high pick at DT again and adding a starting safety thru free agency or the draft. The DL makes this thing work, and they’re heavy on edges but light in the middle. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I think it's very unlikely JD goes into 2023 with the same QB situation. He's created a team that is a good QB away from competing for rings. You think he's going to sit back and hope the QB situation just works itself out? He has one guy who can't stay healthy and the another can't consistently hit a screen pass or a slant.

Our 2023 starter probably isn't on the roster today.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, PepPep said:

JD will find a way to fit the new vet QB under the cap. Good GMs are always able to do this and I consider him a good GM. 

Guys like Davis and Lawson will be cap casualties. I'm not an expect but if JD can figure out something to do with the albatross of a contract CJ Mosley has, that would help clear some cap as well.  He seems like the kind of guy willing to re-structure. He's already done it once. 

I agree 100% with this. 

13 minutes ago, slats said:

2.) They get AVT, Mitchell, and (yes, I know he can’t be counted on) Becton back next year. They need at least one starting OT. One bigger ticket free agent and and one or two draft picks (not necessarily first round) should be pretty sufficient before adding lower tier depth guys. 

I’ll add a 4.), I think this defense is thisclose to being absolutely dominant, and while the LB position gets most of the conversation around here (and they will need to add someone there), I’d be very happy with a high pick at DT again and adding a starting safety thru free agency or the draft. The DL makes this thing work, and they’re heavy on edges but light in the middle. 

Just forget Becton. Just do it. Everyone in our line, with the exception of McGovern, has now injury history, so real depth is even more important. I mean everyone in that line has looked horrible in the few weeks. 

Agree 100%  with 4.

16 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This is one of the rare times I agree with @Joe W. Namath… I think both MW and Zach are back next season.

They obviously need to replace Flacco though. I think it will be with a draft pick. I also think a lot of people here will be upset when Streveler is let go.

Of course. they will..

Meanwhile QB David Blough signed to the Cardinals’ 53-man roster last week..So the Cards signed Blough and not Strev

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

3) Mike White has flaws and is unpolished. Zach Wilson is undisciplined, mentally slow, and does not have the basic mechanics needed for a 2nd year QB. Biggest difference. White ignites the offense, Wilson kills their spirit. It is not a difficult decision. Make the decision, Get rid of Zach, and then bring QB competition in the form of a free agent. 

Fixed

Excellent points. Well done JN!

With regards to oline, I'm 100% in the camp of dangling our first out to a team looking to move a high end vet. I know that doesn't happen very often, but a team like Houston who's staring at a lengthy rebuild timeline might want to accumulate assets for a guy like tunsil. 

I haven't really looked at this draft class but I'm not sure we'll get a decent OT in middle of rd 1 anyways and oline is our biggest need...

2 minutes ago, Coquito said:

Mike White wants to be a starter in the NFL. They make more money than back-ups.

So what team is going to sign him to be their starter? 

Look, I like Mike White but this MW is the savior is way over the top. He's had 5 NFL starts in 5 yrs.   

22 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'll save you both the suspense. Wilson stays, White goes. 

White is the better QB. But he far from a good starting NFL QB. And he will cost too much for the Jets, considering his talent and skill level (and the fact that he can't stay on the field). They have a ton of FAs they need to bring back, despite a few guys they can dump to clear space and despite the cap going up. He's fine but for the contract he will want the Jets will pass.

Zach is still young and under contract. JD still believes in his talent. He will at worst sit and learn one more year as a backup while JD goes out and signs (or trades for) a LEGIT vet QB- as he absolutely should. 

Guys like Davis and Lawson will be cap casualties. I'm not an expect but if JD can figure out something to do with the albatross of a contract CJ Mosley has, that would help clear some cap as well.  He seems like the kind of guy willing to re-structure. He's already done it once. 

I just don't see the Jets signing any type of a name Vet this offseason. We are not going after Carr. With his injury history I would not see them signing Jimmy G either. If we had Tannenbaum he would be all in on every vet QB and probably trying to trade for Rodgers.

White's injury is good and bad for the Jets. It is good in that his price will be cheaper but bad in that I am not sure White won't find a more attractive destination. Somewhere like NO might be a place he could land. To me, I want White to succeed but I think objectively he has shown strong backup capability not starter ability. 

I believe the Jets are still committed to Zach. I could actually see changes to offensive staff before they give up on Zach. Listen to what Rex Ryan said, I can almost guarantee that Saleh and JD see it the same way.

One possibility that no one is allowing for is that I think it is possible we draft another QB. In fact I am thinking it is close to 100% they draft a QB but I think that they may actually go high for one.

I do not think they will face the "win now" pressure many seem to think they will. And I do think there is a good chance we make the playoffs still. There is at least one scenario no one is even considering right now for the Jets to get in.

50 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

As you mentioned, they need to build up a lot of depth on the O-Line. JD has been improving it slowly, but the injuries have just added up. The run game went from being a strength to non-existent.

The Jets have had like 10 injuries on the line how much depth do you want?  We are lucky we weren't starting 4 practice squad guys half the year I actually think they did a great job bringing in guys like Brown ,Herbeg, and Remmers.....sh*t happens.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

For the offensive line-

Cut Tomlinson and put Vera-Tucker in his spot. Becton comes back as a RT and the offensive line is fixed.

Brown & Vera-Tucker on one side and Herbig and Becton, a couple ham sandwiches on the other side that you run behind. That's a good line especially for a speed back like Breece Hall

You can't count on Becton.

30 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This is one of the rare times I agree with @Joe W. Namath… I think both MW and Zach are back next season.

They obviously need to replace Flacco though. I think it will be with a draft pick. I also think a lot of people here will be upset when Streveler is let go.

Why on earth pay Mike White what for "a few dollars more" you can being in a legit FA?  

15 minutes ago, peebag said:

You can't count on Becton.

You may be right but things have changed, its not a silly twitter fight anymore like last offseason. He is out of second chances and his livelihood is on the line. That has a way of motivating men

I think he will show up ready to go. Maybe i'm naive but I do believe he will 

21 minutes ago, C Mart said:

So what team is going to sign him to be their starter? 

Look, I like Mike White but this MW is the savior is way over the top. He's had 5 NFL starts in 5 yrs.   

I can see the Colts offering him more than the $2,540,000 he makes annually with the Jets.