Jump to content

Daniel Jeremiah “Wilson not a good fit for the Jets”


kevinc855

Recommended Posts

Just now, GangGreened said:

I like Joe Douglas as a GM, but I have concerns if he can figure out the QB situation here if this is in fact the case.

To review Joe Douglas miffed the highest pick in Jets history since Keyshawn. There were like 4 reasonable picks they could have made instead (Sewell Chase, parsons, fields) 

But let's put aside Zach for a moment 

He also burned a pick on James Morgan.

He traded for Flacco (!) and found Mike white 

If he pays Jimmy G a ton of money it's admitting failure on all his other qb moves 

Basically unless Mike white turns into Kurt Warner it will become a truth that Joe Douglas can't be trusted to make qb decisions.

Which leads to everyone getting fired. This is why I root for Mike white because it would be a shame to have scrap the little program that Saleh is building. Zach isn't just about bad qb he's a franchise ruiner. 

  • Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

To review Joe Douglas miffed the highest pick in Jets history since Keyshawn. There were like 4 reasonable picks they could have made instead (Sewell Chase, parsons, fields) 

But let's put aside Zach for a moment 

He also burned a pick on James Morgan.

He traded for Flacco (!) and found Mike white 

If he pays Jimmy G a ton of money it's admitting failure on all his other qb moves 

Basically unless Mike white turns into Kurt Warner it will become a truth that Joe Douglas can't be trusted to make qb decisions.

Which leads to everyone getting fired. This is why I root for Mike white because it would be a shame to have scrap the little program that Saleh is building. Zach isn't just about bad qb he's a franchise ruiner. 

I can't disagree with any of what you're saying except that last paragraph.  I don't think JD is anywhere close to being fired.  And that holds true even if he completely whiffed on the QB thing (which, right now, it feels like he did).  

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bottom line is we're getting a minimum of 1 more year to see if Zach gets better and if MLF is capable of tailoring an offense that suits him. 

Saleh is all but saying he needs more time and they're going to give it to him. 

Really interested in seeing how Minshew does next week or 2.  I don't think we can count on White to stay healthy and if the choice is him or Zach they're picking Zap.  They're not going to repeat this next year. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't disagree with any of what you're saying except that last paragraph.  I don't think JD is anywhere close to being fired.  And that holds true even if he completely whiffed on the QB thing (which, right now, it feels like he did).  

Well he's got 2 years after this one on his contract which means that he either gets fired or a fat extension. Some of these picks like sauce and Garrett are nice but it's not clear he's earned the extension. He's 20-43 as the GM so far. Pretty pathetic. 

On the other hand the Jets' owners don't really have any better ideas so you might be right. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Ugh 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

Bottom line is we're getting a minimum of 1 more year to see if Zach gets better and if MLF is capable of tailoring an offense that suits him. 

Saleh is all but saying he needs more time and they're going to give it to him. 

Really interested in seeing how Minshew does next week or 2.  I don't think we can count on White to stay healthy and if the choice is him or Zach they're picking Zap.  They're not going to repeat this next year. 

It really does kind of feel like MW is injury-prone, even though I'm not sure there's any QB in the league who could've better withstood that hit he took against the Bills.  I have a terrible feeling the Jets are just going to let MW walk this offseason.  I really don't think they believe in him.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Then seriously why did Joe Douglas draft this kid with the 2nd pick? 

If he’s not a “fit” for the system they wanted to run, why was he the pick? Did they think they could mold him into what they wanted?

I like Joe Douglas as a GM, but I have concerns if he can figure out the QB situation here if this is in fact the case.

It's a maddening question. Was the coaching staff on board? Its a puzzling question to this day. They knew when they hired Saleh and LaFlour this was the system. Its very odd

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well we could certainly do far worse at GM than we have.  Being a .500 team that's on the way up feels a lot better than drafting top 3 every year.

Yeah 500 on the way to 7-10 in an epic collapse from 5-2 doesn't read as impressive 

It feels like half the fans on this board could make draft picks as good or better than JD 

Who picks a punter in Rd 6? And then proceed to watch that punter suck ass for 3 years? Remember kaare vedvik? Joe Douglas is a random number generator about half his moves are good and about half of them are shocking. It's probably good enough for running the Jets but the dude is wildly overrated 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

It really does kind of feel like MW is injury-prone, even though I'm not sure there's any QB in the league who could've better withstood that hit he took against the Bills.  I have a terrible feeling the Jets are just going to let MW walk this offseason.  I really don't think they believe in him.  

I do not believe the hits on Mike White was by accident.  There was a similar play towards end of Minn game and Bills had 10 days to plan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It really does kind of feel like MW is injury-prone, even though I'm not sure there's any QB in the league who could've better withstood that hit he took against the Bills.  I have a terrible feeling the Jets are just going to let MW walk this offseason.  I really don't think they believe in him.  

I'm not sure I do either.  He's played well but they can't seem to win with him against good teams. I have little faith in Zippy but if the choice was him and Minshew or White and Jimmy G I'm taking Zip.  I have a feeling he will figure it out and it would make me ill to see him shine with another team. 

  • Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Yeah 500 on the way to 7-10 in an epic collapse from 5-2 doesn't read as impressive 

It feels like half the fans on this board could make draft picks as good or better than JD 

Who picks a punter in Rd 6? And then proceed to watch that punter suck ass for 3 years? Remember kaare vedvik? Joe Douglas is a random number generator about half his moves are good and about half of them are shocking. It's probably good enough for running the Jets but the dude is wildly overrated 

Well, first off let's see if we do go 7-10.  If that happens, that will definitely change the narrative a good deal.  IIRC, our win prediction from Vegas was 5.5 going into the season.  If we only end up with 7 (especially after a 7-4 start) that will mean we didn't exceed expectations by all that much.   It still does feel like the talent level has been upgraded a very good deal though.  Our defense is definitely good and our offense at least has some playmakers on it (GW and Breece).  It obviously still needs a LOT of work though.  

  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

yup. LaFleur is too rigid and wants guys to play his system. I think he's a good OC, but the great ones change the system to match the talent. LaFleur hasn't yet shown the ability or desire to do that. It's why I cringe when people suggest we go after Lamar Jackson. Same problem, more expensive.

to be clear, i think the bigger problem is obviously wilson but if you have to play him try to scheme to his limited strengths.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'm not sure I do either.  He's played well but they can't seem to win with him against good teams. I have little faith in Zippy but if the choice was him and Minshew or White and Jimmy G I'm taking Zip.  I have a feeling he will figure it out and it would make me ill to see him shine with another team. 

Zippy's arm strength is certainly very impressive but his overall game is lacking.  I still saw bad footwork, bad reads, and overthrows.  And I really think that a lot of what "winning football" is often just things that seem small.  The first play could've been a sack but MW made a nice little slide and dump off for a nice gain.  ZW would be more likely to run all over the place with the pirouetting.  The 2nd pass to GW is thrown behind him but it's still placed perfectly.  It was out of the defender's reach and it gave GW a chance (albeit a small one) to catch the ball.  

602328985_Mike_White_Highlights__Week_12__Every_Pass_vs_Bears(6).gif.6043a8eff158c5f9c144e3520bae793c.gif

Mike_White_Highlights__Week_12__Every_Pass_vs_Bears.gif.1dee69172f0c620889f02b5ee46b306c.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Saleh admitted error on the time out but DJ complained about the runs on first down. Well what are they supposed to do? Pass more. 

 

all the "where's the running game" stuff obviously goes back to hall getting hurt. But hall was covering up the fact that Zach can't play qb.

It's 2022 the run does not open up the pass in fact it's the other way around. If other teams know that you're relying on the run to hide the pass they will load up the box and sell out to stop the run. If you do pass, these run blitzes become pass blitzes and it becomes a question of how the qb reacts to pressure. Make Zach beat you with his arm. Make Zach make quick decisions. That's the scouting report on Zach. It's not really the play caller's fault they have no run game without a functional pass 

 

I think what really help open run game with Breece were the formation with Carter and Breece.  Not sure whats going on with Carter lately but suspect he is banged up a bit

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GangGreened said:

Wasn’t the “rumor” that Saleh wanted to “run it back” with Darnold and Douglas wanted Wilson and to “reset the rookie clock”?

could be true 

It’s possible. You’d have to find out more info from Saleh’s initial interviews. I think once the Jets beat the Rams for no reason ownership wanted Wilson. I get the sense that Douglas has been a more willing yes man than Saleh has been. @T0mShane

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It really does kind of feel like MW is injury-prone, even though I'm not sure there's any QB in the league who could've better withstood that hit he took against the Bills.  I have a terrible feeling the Jets are just going to let MW walk this offseason.  I really don't think they believe in him.  
I think it's less about taking those hits and more about avoiding them. By being mobile enough to escape, or make it an arm tackle rather than a rib breaker. Or by seeing the pressure sooner and making a "business decision" to get rid of the ball or just take a sack while protecting yourself.

White seems to be almost too gung ho with his own health ... he wants to play and win so badly that he's putting himself in harm's way. Admirable, brave, crazy - but ultimately it may cost him the shot at what he wants to achieve.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...