Record when the Jets score first ..

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

When scoring first, the Jets are 5-1, losing only to the Pats at the Meadowlands in a game they should have won.

When the opponent scores first, the Jets are 2-6.

Yet, there is little urgency on Offense to score early.  We have scored 1 TD and 1 FG on our opening drives, where we’ve started with a run 11 of 14 times, with NINE 3 & outs.

Now we know the Jags are preparing for the Jets to start slow offensively.  

First down, run.  

Second down, try to get a few yards for a shorter third down.  Here we’ve had a total of 3 first downs in opening drives across 14 games.

Third down, pass or trick play.  We’ve mostly unsuccessfully passed here 13 of 14x because we aren’t opening with quality yardage on first and second downs.  

Punt.  Rinse repeat next week.

In Wilson’s starts, we only opened with a pass against Denver.  Crap first down runs every other game.

Let’s start aggressively against the Jags.  No huddle even.  My lord, something different.

How many times have the jets scored first when they deferred?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

How many times have the jets scored first when they deferred?

When they’ve lost the coin flip or deferred when winning the coin flip?  Don’t have in front of me but the Jets D has done a good job preventing opening drive scores when the opponent starts with the ball.  That has not been the problem. 

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

When they’ve lost the coin flip or deferred when winning the coin flip?  Don’t have in front of me but the Jets D has done a good job preventing opening drive scores when the opponent starts with the ball.  That has not been the problem. 

That’s what I was asking. How many times the defense gave up points on opening drive 

10 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

you are what’s become a rarity on this board - an excellent poster - thanks!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Thanks man.  I appreciate that.  Passionate about this team, believe they have a ton of talent/potential and next year we have a shot at making a LOT of noise.  

By nature, just trying to understand where we can improve.

I get running on 1st down to get 'something' versus an incomplete pass that gets zero.

But with defenses stacking the box with no fear of ZW throwing on 1st down, we end up running for zero yards anyway. So YES, take advantage of the stacked box and let it rip down field. Even a near-miss on a 40+ yard pass play is more than enough to loosen up the front 7.

2 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

I get running on 1st down to get 'something' versus an incomplete pass that gets zero.

But with defenses stacking the box with no fear of ZW throwing on 1st down, we end up running for zero yards anyway. So YES, take advantage of the stacked box and let it rip down field. Even a near-miss on a 40+ yard pass play is more than enough to loosen up the front 7.

or a screen, bootleg, or trick play like flea flicker.  MLF needs to get creative and not be afraid even with Zach at QB

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yet, there is little urgency on Offense to score early.

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

In my lifetime the NY Jets have always come out flat with no urgency to get on the scoreboard first....

Serious question - What makes you think the Jets aren't trying to score early?

What would "urgency" look like to you?  A hurry-up offense, passing on almost every down?  Going 5-wide with WRs?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

What would "urgency" look like to you?  A hurry-up offense, passing on almost every down?  Going 5-wide with WRs?

1. The play calls and the results.  Very predictable and conservative.

2. Throwing on first and second down, running up tempo, playing like there is nothing to lose.  How about a double move (out and up) or a hand-off lateral back to the QB who throws deep.

Come out and do the unexpected rather than doing the same thing over and over.

Change your second down philosophy from trying to limit 3rd down distance to throwing beyond the markers.  3 first downs across all second downs on all opening drive the entire year.

Throw deep, maybe you get an interference like the one on G Wilson when the Jets were playing from behind against the Lions.

Roll Zach out, RPO, let him run.

Attack other team’s weaknesses rather than running the same script to protect your QB that backfires and puts him in third and longs.

Build Zach’s confidence with a few throws he’s most comfortable with on easier downs to throw.

Try to get Zach into a rhythm.

I don’t know, try something different than first down run, second down short run/pass, third down pass or cute play.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Not going 3 and out ... 3rd 8 not throwing a 2 yard pass... showing some guts coming on the field fired up...