QB School - The Zach Wilson Experiment is Nearing Its End

maury77

1 minute ago, VJphillyfan said:

Resign White and draft a qb in 1st or 2nd round

i think this is very likely what happens .. though i was sayin 3-4 round.  White THE perfect backup. More than solid, great teammate and understands defenses.  We need a kid behind ZW to push him during his make or break year in 2023.

• Upvote 2

Just now, VJphillyfan said:

We drafted Sanchez with a veteran roster in 2009 and almost got to the super bowl

and look where that has gotten us ... a mortgaged future by staffing the team with expensive vets has bought us 15 years of perennial losing and the weakest roster in history.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We lack the ammo for that.

And maybe this organization, after Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, Hackenberg and Wilson, needs to look another direction for it's QB than "hyped first rounders with potential".

there is always ammo.  We may not like the price will have to pay but they can always dip into future year picks if need be.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

41 TDs, 12 INTs with a 63.2% completion percentage in 30 games played.  on terrible jacksonville teams.  you'll see this weekend he's starter material.

People don't want MW because he doesn't win. GM was 7 and 25 in Jacksonville. I believe more than half the games he didn't generate more than 15 points. 

I’m not sure there’s a need to declare his career dead or cut bait with Wilson yet.

• He’s not expensive

• He’s not creating problems in the locker room

• He most likely will not pan out as we hoped but he might

• Upgrade the position however you see fit in 2023…let Wilson develop and after we’ll see where things stand the final year of his rookie deal

• Upvote 2

That tape is painful and discouraging concerning Wilson.  But I'll
be shocked if any "big name" QB is brought in for 2023, I expect an
open competition between White & Wilson.  We all know what Wilson needs
to work on, but if White wants to seriously win the job he needs to
add 10-15 pounds (durability) and improve his lower body flexibility
(escapability)   

• Upvote 3

A big reason why our running game is so dismal is because of these RPO's where Zach should hand off the ball, but holds onto it because he wants to throw it and play "hero ball". MLF needs to call plays where Zach doesn't get a choice. Hand it off, there, Zach.

This analysis is spot on. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Gutting the team and/or draft capital/salary cap future to get a QB is counter productive.

This is the Aaron Rodgers idea.  Lets pay 50 million and trade a ton of assets for a "name" that's clearly over the hill and in decline.

that is why i say we may not like it but many teams have done it

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I find the whole Zach Wilson demise (or not) fascinating.  Enough evidence to claim he sucks and get rid of him, enough evidence to claim his ability to make throws and plays that others cant is worth developing. How did this happened? For all intent purposes Joe Douglas seems like a competant GM and that is putting it mildly. Super successful picks that look to be future stars.  Could he have really missed this badly wih Zach? Zach showed zero evidence (from what I know) in college of not being able to be a simple pocket passer who could make the easy throws. His numbers in college prove it. So what gives? Are videos like this just "the next negaive thing about the Jets because they know they'll get the cliches from fans or is it not growing pains and he is just terrible with no hope.

I go back and forth with this dilema with every article or video I watch. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

If they don't bring in viable VET talent this offseason, they will be doing this team a disservice.... Enough of seeing Flacco.

Agreed. This team will mainly need a vet to compete with Zak. And with White but only if we can retain him in a beneficial manner. If another team pays him a decent or better committed contract we probably have to let him go since we don’t know if he can stay healthy or even win games against the better teams in those tight contests.

• Upvote 1

Here is how I would handle the QB situation this offseason if I were Joe D

I start by trying to go "big game hunting" at QB.  Assuming our 1st round pick is in the 15-22 range (just in or just out of the playoffs), I am OK dealing it for a QB that I believe can give me 2-3 seasons of elite play while I have all of these rookies/first year players on cheap deals.   For me personally, that guy is Aaron Rodgers.  I know many will disagree due to personality, but at 39 years old I believe he still has 2-3 elite seasons left.  Sky is the limit for guys like Garrett Wilson, Elijah Moore, and Breece Hall with a QB like Rodgers.  He was an MVP just a year ago, and has a lifetime 4.7-1 TD/INT ratio.  He protects the ball which is huge for a team like us with a borderline elite defense.

If I'm able to get Rodgers, I try to trade Zach for any draft picks I can recoup.  I would also try to re-sign Mike White if he was willing to take high end backup money.

Things get tricky if we are not able to land a big time QB via trade or FA.  Then we are almost forced to sign Mike White to have a battle with Zach for the starting job.  Certainly not an exciting prospect heading into next year.  It just seems the time is right to be bold at the QB position and finally take a big swing.

• Upvote 2