So is Joe Douglas getting fired?

Matt39

This original tweet has 20 thumbs down among other cute negative emojis. Guess what, OP is correct and you're all wrong. JD is the living example of if you repeat some sh*t enough times people will believe it. Guy is mediocre, at best. Gets good draft capital on trades it seems. Outside of that? Meh. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

It’s a fair question but I don’t know how there isn’t consequences for drafting Wilson. He isn’t an NFL QB.

What are you talking about...? That is completely asinine... 

JD will be evaluated based on how he performs based on the plan he presented to the Johnsons. The goal they shared was to play meaningful football in December. They hit the target. Who cares how they get there?

When a player is picked is irrelevant. We have a QB on the roster which looks good (though he needs to learn how to avoid big hits). We have good receivers (possibly looking at the first 1k receiver in how long? 10 years?). Breece was fire before going down. The line played much better with AVT, and Mitchell was a more than competent backup. What we lack right now is overall depth. Injuries to AVT, White, Breece and Becton, killed our O this year.

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

This original tweet has 20 thumbs down among other cute negative emojis. Guess what, OP is correct and you're all wrong. JD is the living example of if you repeat some sh*t enough times people will believe it. Guy is mediocre, at best. Gets good draft capital on trades it seems. Outside of that? Meh. 

I got 20 thumbs down per post last year saying that Zach stunk 

No one wants to hear bad news. We love to shoot the messenger 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Vader said:

JD is like Hagler-Hearns. Lots of incoming damage. Lots of punishment dished. 

He's got such wild swings.

huge hits. huge misses. 

this ultimately saves him. Also. it's trite but... injuries. 

The Hagler-Hearns fight only lasted what? About 7 rounds? 
As great a fight as that was, maybe not the best example for comparing to a guy you want to go the distance, ?

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

The Hagler-Hearns fight only lasted what? About 7 rounds? 
As great a fight as that was, maybe not the best example for comparing to a guy you want to go the distance, ?

yeah idk if they're going the distance tbh

next year is the rubber match for JD for sure and also Saleh 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, undertow said:

I honestly don't even blame the drafting of Wilson it's mostly a crap shoot but it has been obvious since last year when he first got hurt the kid wasn't ready to be on the field......we were better off trading back and keep Sammy D like I said. ?

We were also better off pouring lava in our eyes but that doesn’t make keeping Sam a good move.

They should’ve gotten Minshew or another vet with a modicum of upside as bust insurance if they wanted to play QB draft lottery. But I was told that would hurt the rookie’s confidence. ?‍♂️ 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Are the Jets getting better? 4 wins against backups and getting embarrassed in prime time should make every fan rethink.

His won/loss record was the argument you should’ve used in the OP. Not missing on Zach.

If we lose out and finish 7-10, that’s an epic collapse on top of 7,2 and 4 win seasons. It’s hard to put lipstick on a 20-46 pig.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, jgb said:

We were also better off pouring lava in our eyes but that doesn’t make keeping Sam a good move.

They should gotten Minshew or another vet with a modicum of upside as bust insurance if they wanted to play QB draft lottery. But I was told that would hurt the rookie’s confidence. ?‍♂️ 

Any decision besides drafting Wilson and jamming him on the field as a rookie would have turned out better than what they decided to do....they even had a mulligan when he got hurt last year and decide to jam him on the field again when it was obvious he wasn't ready.  

• Upvote 1

With slotted contracts, not hitting on a high drafted QB isn’t a death sentence for an GM anymore. If the GM proves he is building a strong team regardless of the failed qb pick he’s not getting fired. QB is the biggest crap shoot. Everyone knows this. Not only is JD not getting fired I bet he gets extended this off-season. 

Douglas has done a good job improving the talent on the roster generally, especially given what he inherited from coffee machine boy. But he has a weird blind spot when it comes to quarterbacks. Wilson didn't have the pedigree to be the second overall pick and he clearly doesn't have the temperament. Fields was right there, begging to be taken second overall.

Douglas then compounded the mistake of taking Wilson over Fields by making Flacco his backup and trading a pick to the Eagles for the privilege. Flacco has been done for years and really has no business collecting a pay cheque from the Jets.

I think Saleh will be pushing hard in the off season for the Jets to add someone that Saleh is comfortable working with, who Saleh can trust to run the offence and give the defence a break by not turning over the ball in dumb ways.

Garropolo got the Niners pretty darn close to a Super Bowl with Saleh as the defensive coordinator. Book Jimmy in as the next QB of the Jets.

What a dumb thread. JD has put together a good young team that is a competent QB away from being a playoff team. JD definitely whiffed on Wilson but he's made a ton of good moves also. They will fix the QB thing in the off season. The Jets could have the DROY and OROY this year and that's with Hall going down. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

With slotted contracts, not hitting on a high drafted QB isn’t a death sentence for an GM anymore. If the GM proves he is building a strong team regardless of the failed qb pick he’s not getting fired. QB is the biggest crap shoot. Everyone knows this. Not only is JD not getting fired I bet he gets extended this off-season. 

Whiffing on QB can be excusable… but he bungled the rest of the QB room terribly. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Except Mike White!  That was a nice find…

He cut him and PS’ed him several times. He had no idea what he had there. Better to be lucky than good sometimes but MW was not some triumph of astute planning. He needs to be better with the QB room top to bottom going forward.

Just now, jgb said:

Whiffing on QB can be excusable… but he bungled the rest of the QB room terribly. 

He’s still the best GM we have had since Parcells. He’s done an amazing job turning over our roster and I agree he bungled the QB room, but he luckily backed into Mike White. Redskins bungled RG3 but lucked into Cousins. We can win with Mike White. After living through Idzik and McG I have a hard time comprehending how people don’t see we are lucky to have a grown up with a clue in the seat. Firing him would be the most nonsensical thing ever. Fire him for who? We need continuity and to let him continue building with a plan.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Probably one of the dumbest threads ever. (Next to my Zach thread).  Joe D probably just had one of the best drafts/off seasons in our history. Time will tell. And in last year's draft, I am not calling Elijah Moore or Mekhi a bust yet. We saw what he can do, when healthy. And AVT is a stud. Plus the Jamal Adams trade was brilliance. Granted not getting the QB right is a huge problem. But I think we have to give him a shot at finding an answer in the off-season. This team has a LOT of very talented players. We need a QB, another decent draft, and a new OC, and we could have a special team. We are not far off. And we cannot think of firing Saleh either. He has put together a good defense, for the most part, and players not only love playing for him, he attracts other good players from other teams, in free agency. Not often have we had top free agents wanting to come play here. That's Saleh's appeal, as much as anyone. Saleh and JD are here for a while, in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Probably one of the dumbest threads ever. (Next to my Zach thread).  Joe D probably just had one of the best drafts/off seasons in our history. Time will tell. And in last year's draft, I am not calling Elijah Moore or Mekhi a bust yet. We saw what he can do, when healthy. And AVT is a stud. Plus the Jamal Adams trade was brilliance. Granted not getting the QB right is a huge problem. But I think we have to give him a shot at finding an answer in the off-season. This team has a LOT of very talented players. We need a QB, another decent draft, and a new OC, and we could have a special team. We are not far off. And we cannot think of firing Saleh either. He has put together a good defense, for the most part, and players not only love playing for him, he attracts other good players from other teams, in free agency. Not often have we had top free agents wanting to come play here. That's Saleh's appeal, as much as anyone. Saleh and JD are here for a while, in my opinion.

The fact that Saleh won as many games as he did with BYU behind center unequivocally bought him more time.

• Upvote 1

No the real big miss was Zach and Becton but not because Becton is a bad player just can't stay healthy he has hit on everything else. If Douglas owes up on Zach and finds a solution at QB and some more depth on the OL this team will contend next year but think QB is the biggest problem because if they had even average one they make the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nyjets1969 said:

No the real big miss was Zach and Becton but not because Becton is a bad player just can't stay healthy he has hit on everything else. If Douglas owes up on Zach and finds a solution at QB and some more depth on the OL this team will contend next year but think QB is the biggest problem because if they had even average one they make the playoffs.

To not be mathematically-eliminated in week 16 with league-worst QB play is actually a cause for optimism for ‘23 and beyond.

Told you guys those of us who thought the QB stunk and was dragging the team down were the positive ones all along.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Becton and Wilson on the resume and an epic collapse is fireable. The team is getting worse. Breece Hall isn’t a permanent hall pass. 

Looks bad for those two.  Even if they bust JDs not getting fired. 
Why would anyone want to fire him after the draft and FAs he’s brought in?  

• Upvote 1

No way.  JD made two early errors based on his somewhat justified philosophy of drafting "freaks".  Those two early mistakes being Becton and Zach Wilson.  Both of those two do have some "freakish" qualities, but neither of them were choices had had any measure of balanced judgment.  Yeah, you want a prospect with "freak" skills and or measurables, but if there are major red flags AND your roster can not afford a "luxury" pick, then you take a pass.  JD swung for the fence with Wilson and Becton and he whiffed.  As of late, he's been dealing aces.  No way does he get fired.

BUT...  We will all be calling for his ass if he does not take care of the QB situation and take care of it to an ideal.

I'm on record here with my solution.

Dont Worry about Wilson's contract.  They dont have to cut him or keep him.  The QB spot is so important, they can and should do with him anything they need to.  They can trade him for a set of steak knives, or keep him on the practice squad.  It does not matter.

Mike White is NOT a starter.  If JD retains Mike White with the plan of having him as a top-notch back-up, that is fantastic,  If JD goes into the 2023 season with Mike White figured as the starter, then JD should be lambasted and fired. 

Now... On to the draft.

I see a QB in the draft that will go late in round 1 or early in round 2 that has all the tools and measurables, but will need some training.  That being, Tanner McKee from Stanford.  JD can trade down in the first round and take him.  He can be developed into the ideal West Coast Mike LeFleur QB.  He is PERFECT for that offense.

And... He can also bring in veteran that McKee can learn under.  One that is not so expensive like the moustache. 

Another alternative, would of course be to scrap the McKee plan and shell out the $$$ for Garoppolo and use the draft to bring in top OL talent to shore up what they have.  Keep White as a top notch back up and let Dennis The Menace chill with the prep team.

The McKee plan is more risky, but would be a grans slam if it works out.

Along with McKee there are also a few other QB's that could make good potential choices, but none that have the fit for LeFleur's scheme like McKee does. 

55 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

according to some draft experts he was picked by JetBlue.  SO JD can't be held responsible for that pick

If it was indeed Woody then that’s not good either. Becton, Corey Davis, Mims, Moore etc are on Douglas resume. He’s been here long enough to make an overall assessment. The teams record this year was propped up by backup and 3rd string QB’s. The state of the roster is still not where it needs to be. It looks like it will be 7-10 and a 6 game losing streak to cap the season. This franchise has been losing for so long the fanbase defends the losing at all costs. 

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Pass rush and quarterback. Still have no one. 

The former is a little much. Going into last night, they were 6th in pass defense DVOA and 7th in sacks, though only 17th in pressure rate. I think they need another guy. The good news is that the scheme seems to work and the coaches seem to know what they’re doing. They made a couple of additions and turned the worst unit in the league into a top-10 finish, and the defense played better in the second halves/fourth quarters of games basically every week. We’ll regress next year, but hopefully make some more additions too, and assuming we get even basic competency from the offense, a top-12ish finish should be good enough. They absolutely have to get more takeaways though.

No argument on the QB. Clemens, Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, ******* Bryce Petty—Wilson is worse than all of them with the possible exception of Hackenberg (although I think we’re basically getting what the Hackenberg experience would have been). The fact that Douglas picked him 2nd over a bunch of studs—literally any player taken from 4-13 would have been a huge hit—is just salt in the wound. I’m not sold on Fields as a passer yet, but he has useable skills and clearly belongs on an NFL field. Wilson absolutely does neither, and seems like a bitch to boot. And not for nothing, but Douglas also thought Flacco’s desiccated corpse was valuable enough to trade a pick for, then brought him back for another year! There’s basically nothing to indicate he has any clue how to handle the position. That alone has to make you consider a change. The only thing giving me pause is that I like a lot of what Saleh has done, and I don’t want to see him go quite yet, and I also don’t want to screw around with the org chart such that the coach is picking the GM.

Long story short, next year Douglas needs to find an answer at QB and make the playoffs. That‘s not an either/or; it’s a both/and. Miss either one and he can pack his sh*t and go.

• Upvote 2

A few weeks ago he was a super hero. His 2022 draft was declared to be great. Some of Jets key players injured. Esp the star running back he drafted. As for Zach drafting him so high was a move that if doesn't work can get everyone fired and this season it hasn't worked. So that's a fire-able offense but imo you keep him nobody on the open market has shown they are that much better. A reason he insisted on longer term deal before he signed with us. Same with Saleh give him at least 3 years. I don't agree with all of his moves like putting Streveler in to finish the game yesterday. You got no points out of it and if any hope for Zach to play better it didn't help. Seemed like a desperation move by him and the CS. If we'd had a running game like earlier in the season it wouldn't have been so one sided. If me and White not available I'd start Zach and finish out the season with him. He wasn't this bad last week he played OK for 3 quarters vs Lions a game we could have won. 

21 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

A few weeks ago he was a super hero. His 2022 draft was declared to be great. Some of Jets key players injured. Esp the star running back he drafted. As for Zach drafting him so high was a move that if doesn't work can get everyone fired and this season it hasn't worked. So that's a fire-able offense but imo you keep him nobody on the open market has shown they are that much better. A reason he insisted on longer term deal before he signed with us. Same with Saleh give him at least 3 years. I don't agree with all of his moves like putting Streveler in to finish the game yesterday. You got no points out of it and if any hope for Zach to play better it didn't help. Seemed like a desperation move by him and the CS. If we'd had a running game like earlier in the season it wouldn't have been so one sided. If me and White not available I'd start Zach and finish out the season with him. He wasn't this bad last week he played OK for 3 quarters vs Lions a game we could have won. 

13-35 record. 13 wins in 3 seasons, regardless of Maccagnan has to raise eyebrows. Jeremiah and Schraeger can only run cover for so long. He’s not getting it done.