I'll say it again...no more draft pick QB's need a Veteran

PFF just put out an article on possible QB trades

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-realistic-trade-value-landing-spots-quarterbacks-lamar-jackson-aaron-rodgers-derek-carr

Gives us an idea of what it will take get someone in here:

- Rodgers (39): Two 1st and two 2nd rounders

- Carr (31): 1st and 3rd

- Lamar (25): Three 1st, 2nd and a 3rd

• Upvote 1

Those are not mutually exclusive.

At this point they bring back one of White (or Strev if White's price is too high) primarily for already knowing the playbook / team, you bring in a proven veteran as insurance and a viable option, and then you use a mid-rounder on a QB with upside with the hope of potential future.

Whether or not you keep Wilson after that can go in either direction depending on what they think of him and what offers they get, but the most you get is a wide open competition, while more likely the vet is all but guaranteed the job.

Not trading away draft picks for a QB that will play maybe another year. Rogers is not coming unless there is an upgrade on the OL... Sign Minshew and have him compete with White and Wilson. Draft a QB every year until we find the ONE !!!  I'll keep saying it until we have a FQB...

11 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Not trading away draft picks for a QB that will play maybe another year. Rogers is not coming unless there is an upgrade on the OL... Sign Minshew and have him compete with White and Wilson. Draft a QB every year until we find the ONE !!!  I'll keep saying it until we have a FQB...

Stop with the Minshew nonsense....hes a ******* backup qb.....we need a legit guy

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

Stop with the Minshew nonsense....hes a ******* backup qb.....we need a legit guy

He's better than anything we got... And he's a VET that has proven he can win surrounded by the right team. You can think it's nonsense all you want...

EDIT...

It also allows us to keep drafting a QB until we find a FQB.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nonsense.  Draft a QB every year (within reason) until you have one.  Then still draft them if you see potential.

But no one actually does this in practice.  The trend is teams draft a QB, get emotionally invested, keep him around for 2-3 years, and if he’s a bust, everyone gets fired.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But no one actually does this in practice.  The trend is teams draft a QB, get emotionally invested, keep him around for 2-3 years, and if he’s a bust, everyone gets fired.  

I’ve always speculated that the same qualities that a GM needs to be successful — extreme confidence in his evals and ability to find players in the draft — also can lead to an instinct to avoid a tacit admission of failure by over-hedging those bets.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

He's better than anything we got... And he's a VET that has proven he can win surrounded by the right team. You can think it's nonsense all you want...

EDIT...

It also allows us to keep drafting a QB until we find a FQB.

I will never understand the “all or nothing mentality.” As you say nicely, while we search for a blue chip FQB — a search that has so far taken decades — it would be a pretty nice thing to have a guy who we can be competitive with in the meantime. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

NO. Not the right move for this team. JD is never giving up draft capital for Carr. Ever.  We might draft a QB nut we are not signing any of those guy. Get a grip

Then he is doing this entire team a disservice. Get one of these guys, resign white. This is a championship type team, top defense, droy and oroy, stud tackle, 3 headed rb room. This team needs a vet qb, we don’t and haven’t developed qbs… come in next year ready to roll, this team can’t have a rookie running the show next year and you can’t waste next year.

• Upvote 1

Fans want a veteran because the team is ready to win.

The team is ready to win in part because the additional 10%-20% of the cap that’d be going to a veteran QB is allocated to the rest of the team since they built around a QB on a rookie deal.

I don’t like Rodgers but I could see an argument for taking a shot on him in terms of his track record. Of course he’d easily be the most expensive - both contract and capital to acquire. Garoppolo makes very little sense to me as he hasn’t gone all the way on SF teams running the same system with better talent on both sides of the ball. I guess if the goal is playoffs not the Super Bowl, but is that the goal? Carr is between the other two but I lean significantly more to the Garoppolo side. 

Grass is always greener. The vets available are no better than Mike White and have less baggage. Rogers and Brady's personalities? Garapalo's injuries? Carr crying in front of the media should do wonders for our media. Not impressed, sign Mike White or Menshew if possible or draft another QB 

• Upvote 2

Disagree .. vets can cripple an organization with their contracts. Bringing in a second contract guy usually entails learning a new system .. so you likely won't get instant success .. unless it's a prodigy like Rogers.

Keep an eye on Cleveland to see how that contract plays out.

Draft a QB every year until you hit paydirt. Then draft another.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Our QB is on the roster. We go 10-7 or 11-6 next year if MW starts every game and stays healthy (the only remaining question mark for me). 

I think white will enter tc as the starter and they’ll draft someone in the 3rd or 4th rounds.  Wilson will be gone, he needs to leave the locker room.  

It’s so hard to say. I see these teams throwing an awful lot of money at one position and it just doesn’t automatically translate into great success.  Even mahommes struggles without a good supporting cast so why put so much on him?  Maybe the new paradigm is to have shorter terms and lower pay for the QBs than what we’ve been seeing. It’ll be amazing if a 4th year journeyman leads the jets to the playoffs.  Likewise seeing a slug like geno doing the same and guys like russel Wilson, or Brady, or matte ice doing next to nothing.