Why sacrifice the whole team for ZW?

Latinlawyer

20 minutes ago, Latinlawyer said:

I cannot believe we sacrificed the whole team for ZW??!?!?!? From 7-4 to 7-8. It’s clear ZW is not the right fit for the NYJ. Flacco needs to go away. Keep Mike white and get a veteran QB to compete for the top spot. ZW is done. Enough is enough!!!

The Pats games , last week and then this week…

what a way to blow the chance at playoffs…

sigh

LL

two of the losses going from 7-4 to 7-8 are Mike White.

Not sure if white or wilson or both will be back next year but we must get at least one more viable option.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Read Saleh’s face. They’re not going to.

This week & last week there wasn’t much other realistic choice. Streveler is easy to like but he has no arm. Great for (as Saleh put it) a midgame spark but he’s not a mutli-game starter. Their best bet was hoping the light would go on for ZW and it didn’t. Flacco is done, and White was injured. It’s not like there was much else to do.

He’s lost the locker room - or it would seem so - and it’s impossible that Saleh (and by extension JD, and Woody above him) aren’t aware of it. 

The best thing White did is show what a difference it made on the whole offense when he’s pulled (and it’s not like they pulled Wilson for Mahomes or something either). Moreover, it’s happened 2 seasons in a row.

They’re not handing him the job again (if he’s even on the roster: if they can’t trade him or think he may have some slight hope & figure his $ is a sunk cost). 

So is ZW's first 4 years guaranteed or can we cut him after year 3 ? Personally I think we should just cut him as soon as possible hand him the money and send him back home to Utah.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

We are sacrificing the organization for mike lefleur 

every time a QB comes in that's not named Zach Wilson this team moves the ball. Obviously yesterday was too much for Streveler after his initial spark. I think the team got pumped more because ZW was pulled then anything Strev Accomplished. Either way he's better than ZW and that's pretty sad. 

As I have stated over and over ZW is afraid to play the QB position and his NFL career is hanging by a thread. Its possible some team will pick him up and he will throw on the Red Jersey and play well in practice then as soon as they put him in a game his career will finally be over. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jgb said:

The failure to have credible bust insurance in the QB room sunk this season before it began. We could’ve had Minshew for nothing 2 years ago and we opted for Flacco so our young QB didn’t have to hear 6th round footsteps behind him. Meanwhile, Jalen Hurts is playing MVP-level football.

Steel is forged in fire. The Jets were built on a foundation of quicksand.

JD knows he has a team in the window now — he will not make this mistake again. Moves will be made.

Technically we opted for mike white and when our young QB got hurt we then traded assets for Flacco because We didn’t trust Mike White 

Makes the situation even worse 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Technically we opted for mike white and when our young QB got hurt we then traded assets for Flacco because We didn’t trust Mike White 

Indeed. “We are good here! We promise we didn’t stuff the QB room with (who we think are) bums to protect the new kid’s ego.”

He gets hurt… PANIC TRADE!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

So is ZW's first 4 years guaranteed or can we cut him after year 3 ? Personally I think we should just cut him as soon as possible hand him the money and send him back home to Utah.

First 4 years are fully guaranteed. He was the #2 overall pick. I think typically everyone in the first ~20 picks gets their first 4 years fully guaranteed. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

First 4 years are fully guaranteed. He was the #2 overall pick. I think typically everyone in the first ~20 picks gets their first 4 years fully guaranteed. 

Question then becomes how many millions are you willing to part with for a roster spot .

Because right now that roster spot is empty anyhow

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Question then becomes how many millions are you willing to part with for a roster spot .

Because right now that roster spot is empty anyhow

Thing with Zach is that they can keep him on the practice squad under his current contract — I think. If someone pries him loose from our PS, at that salary, yeah ok fine.

Right now he’s got major problems from the neck up. Could be it stays that way forever, could be not, but he’s not unworthy of a practice squad spot. That’s anger talking. Justified anger, sure, but usually the PS QB is someone like Luke Falk or a 7th round/UDFA who doesn’t even have a theoretical ceiling (while possessing the same low floor). 

They pay him either way, absent a trade partner.

• Upvote 2

The last two games will be telling, not only for the players on team, but also for any potential free agent.  Why would a FA have the Jets as their first choice if they roll with Wilson.  Players want their money but I’m sure they want to see the team is committed to winning.  Granted the OL sucks, but Zack Wilson doesn’t give this team a chance to win.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Latinlawyer said:

I cannot believe we sacrificed the whole team for ZW??!?!?!? From 7-4 to 7-8. It’s clear ZW is not the right fit for the NYJ. Flacco needs to go away. Keep Mike white and get a veteran QB to compete for the top spot. ZW is done. Enough is enough!!!

The Pats games , last week and then this week…

what a way to blow the chance at playoffs…

sigh

LL

Exactly. Why drop 4 straight when you had a better chance of winning with either JF or CS.

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

I think we picked up Flacco before Mike White played.

Its not a big deal 

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Thing with Zach is that they can keep him on the practice squad under his current contract — I think. If someone pries him loose from our PS, at that salary, yeah ok fine.

Right now he’s got major problems from the neck up. Could be it stays that way forever, could be not, but he’s not unworthy of a practice squad spot. That’s anger talking. Justified anger, sure, but usually the PS QB is someone like Luke Falk or a 7th round/UDFA who doesn’t even have a theoretical ceiling (while possessing the same low floor). 

They pay him either way, absent a trade partner.

So how does it work are PS salaries excepted from salary cap (you risk losing the guy) or does the amount over the normal PS wages count against?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I used to think Vernon Gholston was the worst top 10 Jets draft pick....not anymore.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

So how does it work are PS salaries excepted from salary cap (you risk losing the guy) or does the amount over the normal PS wages count against?

No they’re not excepted from salary cap; you just don’t notice them because they make next to nothing. In Wilson’s case, he’s already under contract so he won’t be making just $10K/week or whatever those guys get.

It’s that he doesn’t take up a full roster spot for the season. I think he’d still have to make the final 53 - otherwise his contract ends like any other cut - but they can then stash him on the PS more or less right away. He needn’t be active for week 1 and anyway the 53rd man & more change around so much every year (particularly that first week/month).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I used to think Vernon Gholston was the worst top 10 Jets draft pick....not anymore.

Gholston was still worse. He couldn’t even get onto the field at a position where guys rotate on & off all the time.

Gholston was an edge rusher who finished his career healthy without a sack. For WIlson to be that level he’d have to be Hackenberg, who never completed (or attempted) one pass, let alone a TD.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Gholston was still worse. He couldn’t even get onto the field at a position where guys rotate on & off all the time.

Gholston was an edge rusher who finished his career healthy without a sack. For WIlson to be that level he’d have to be Hackenberg, who never completed (or attempted) one pass, let alone a TD.

I remember Hack playing decent in a Giants preseason game in like 2017.

A little confused by the premise.

OP mentions going from 7-4 to 7-8. 

The first two games were lost with Mike White. For the last two games, the choices were Wilson, Strev, or the corpse of Joe Flacco and Wilson got benched in the second game for Strev. Not sure what the argument is. 

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

#8 pick vs # 2 pick. VG did not set team back.   Zach will hurt us for a while.  

• Upvote 1