Why sacrifice the whole team for ZW?

Latinlawyer

This is a buy salary cap game.  The Jets owe Zach what they owe him.  If they trade him, his bonus accelerates but they save the $2+mm salary that the other team assumes.  So Woody saves cash but it makes it harder to the Jets to compete with the accelerated cap hit.

If they want to give Zach a chance, they keep him on the 53 (I think PS accelerates the cap hit), basically designate him the backup in development, and potentially carry 3 QBs on the 53 again (the Jets did run a winning record for a while that way) if we are able to draft another QB, which would be smart.

So for 2023, the Jets need to acquire another starting QB while carrying about $9mm for the backup.  

I hate to say it, but I would give White an offer he can't refuse for 2 years (which hopefully is much less than a Jimmy G), send him to the gym for the offseason, sign as many OL as possible and look for a long term starter through the draft/FA for 2024.  

• Upvote 1

It is what it is this season. I think Saleh did everything he could to try and get out of playing Zach. Mike White got hurt and Joe Flacco looked like he popped 75 Xanax. Chris Streveler is fun but the dude has no idea what he’s doing out there.

The fact that the CFL version of Tim Tebow played better than Zach means the Jets are big game hunting at the QB position. Lamar Jackson and Derek Carr, come on down

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

#8 pick vs # 2 pick. VG did not set team back.   Zach will hurt us for a while.  

Yeah, this is a major blackeye on a GM, and he is staring down the barrel of M Becton being a bust. This years draft will buy him a few mulligans. Draft a second QB bust (not going to count Captain Morgan) and you better come up with 2-3 Sauce/Hall/AVT/Wilson type guys also, or your'e out of a job.   

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Except Zach Wilson directly cost this team 4 games this season.  4.

No one, meanwhile, could possibly make the case that White was the driving force behind his 2 losses.  Especially not the Minnesota game.  

Agree with you on Wilson costing us a lot of games.  For all those who were crediting Wilson with early season Ws, they are 1-4 in his last 5 starts. 

That said, White needed to find a way to get into the end zone with all those red zone opportunities in MN -- I know about the Berrios drop, but its the QB's responsibility to find a way to finish drives.  Credit to him for getting us back in the game, I doubt Zach could have done as much, but he had to do a better job of finishing drives in that game.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agree with you on Wilson costing us a lot of games.  For all those who were crediting Wilson with early season Ws, they are 1-4 in his last 5 starts. 

That said, White needed to find a way to get into the end zone with all those red zone opportunities in MN -- I know about the Berrios drop, but its the QB's responsibility to find a way to finish drives.  Credit to him for getting us back in the game, I doubt Zach could have done as much, but he had to do a better job of finishing drives in that game.

Right, but still doesn’t make him the driving force behind that loss.  

Sustained drives, as the D desperately needed out of the O last night, are very important even if they only end up in 3.  Constant 3-and-outs are like turnovers in todays game.  White didn’t have many of those.  

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No they’re not excepted from salary cap; you just don’t notice them because they make next to nothing. In Wilson’s case, he’s already under contract so he won’t be making just $10K/week or whatever those guys get.

It’s that he doesn’t take up a full roster spot for the season. I think he’d still have to make the final 53 - otherwise his contract ends like any other cut - but they can then stash him on the PS more or less right away. He needn’t be active for week 1 and anyway the 53rd man & more change around so much every year (particularly that first week/month).

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jgb said:

The failure to have credible bust insurance in the QB room sunk this season before it began. We could’ve had Minshew for nothing 2 years ago and we opted for Flacco so our young QB didn’t have to hear 6th round footsteps behind him. Meanwhile, Jalen Hurts is playing MVP-level football.

Steel is forged in fire. The Jets were built on a foundation of quicksand.

JD knows he has a team in the window now — he will not make this mistake again. Moves will be made.

So Minshew on the roster is  the reason Hurts is playing well this season?  Okay.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

First 4 years are fully guaranteed. He was the #2 overall pick. I think typically everyone in the first ~20 picks gets their first 4 years fully guaranteed. 

Hypothetical situation: If there is an NFL team that will be willing to trade draft picks for him, how does his contract affect the salary cap next year? 

22 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So Minshew on the roster is  the reason Hurts is playing well this season?  Okay.

Mea culpa if this is a sarcastic question but the point — made clearly, I apparently had miscalculated — was that Minshew’s (or any other QB’s) presence on a depth chart does not inhibit a QB from developing into a FQB ahead of him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

Ok, I will buy that if you can tell me the win loss record this season with the other Qbs

I’m talking about looking like a competent NFL offense, something we haven’t seen here consistently in like 20 years. It’s not just about this season. Josh Johnson ran this offense better than Zach ever has. 

• Upvote 1