2 games for $30 million.....

BCJet

As it stands today, if Garnder Minshew didnt play a snap in 2022 he would be a sought after QB based on his career stats to date, which are:

63%  6000 yards 41-12 TD/INT

He likely would get a middle of the road contract in the area of 2 years and $8 million per season which is where Marcus Mariota  (2 years $18 million, $6.75 guaranteed) and Trubisky (2 years $14 million $5 guaranteed).  

However, if Minshew plays very well in the next 2+ games, there is without a doubt going to be a Matt Flynn level of escalation where he could easily get into the 3 years and $45 million with $15+ guaranteed area.  He is the rare QB who as an UDFA isnt under contract but at the same time isnt a veteran who flamed out once already, he just got replaced due to his team getting what clearly looks like a generational QB.  

What makes it even more complicated is that Phila is not in a bad spot cap wise given Jalen's contract is so low ($1.9 in 2023) that they could franchise minshew if he plays well and then get some sort of compensation back and also prevent him from going wherever he wants (although they would get a comp pick back anyway and wouldnt tie up the cap hold). 

I personally think Minshew is the best fit given his skill set and age so these next 2+ games are really big for his future and potentially for the jets future at the position. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Mike White is better. And he’s the leader of our team. It’s wild people still can’t grasp the QB situation. It’s never been clearer. 

There’s a certain brain chemistry that makes some people simply insist that they and they alone have uncovered the truth/key to it all. 

And, funny enough, it is never what obvious or right in front of them.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Because he’s had 2 of the best games at QB in franchise history AND he’s the leader of this team. Couldn’t be more clear. Wow. 

@Jetsfan80 posted all of his #s in a thread, check it out. He’s bottom 5 in almost everything . 

He’s a feel good story and a good backup that’s about it 

• Upvote 1

Minshew is a guy you bring into the mix if he’s cheap, or maybe sign if the team is otherwise just meh. 

If you’re going with a guy who isn’t a 100% clear-cut veteran starter, then it should be someone they knew firsthand (e.g. White). Otherwise go with someone far more proven, if available. 

Minshew would’ve been good to bring into the mix while cheap. I don’t know how pumped I’d be to give him 2 guaranteed seasons at $15MM, if that’s somehow his going rate. (If it was, I’d think Jax could’ve gotten more than a 6th for him while he was under his current dirt-cheap contract).

You have to do more than just look at stats, and how they came about, before a serious investment 

• 5 of his career TDs (and 0 picks) came in 2 games against the ‘19 and ‘21 Jets D. 
  • Going backwards:
    • 2 TDs came vs Balt. Both in garbage time. Prior to that they were getting shut out.
    • 1 TD vs Ten, down 31-3 with a minute left. 
    • 2 TDs vs SD. Punted on first 4 straight drives, and also SD’s D was freaking awful.
    • 1 TD rushing mid-game, and 1 passing TD in…garbage time. Against the Lions.
    • 2 TDs against Houston’s awful D
    • 2 TDs vs Cin’s terrible pass D
    • he did throw 3 TDs in the close season opener vs the Colts, not all in garbage time (19 of 20 passing, too).

At this point I’m stopping, but in between a lot of garbage time TDs were a lot of letdowns & taking a lot of drive-killing sacks.

I’m not saying he 100% wouldn’t be a good addition so much as I’d hope the Jets look at more than his TD:INT stats & re-watch the entire, actual games before making a serious contract offer with a couple yrs guaranteed.

It could also be that some of his quirky antics, which understandably endear him to fans of a loser, aren’t the mature leadership qualities a playoff team wants from its starting QB.

They need better insurance for White than just Wilson, if White is brought back (which seems likely — Douglas would never get another FO job if White then balled out for someone else next year while JD’s handpicked newcomer struggled). Minshew would be fine, and he might like this situation given White’s injury history, but guaranteeing him a couple yrs at $15MM/yr isn’t the same as trading a 6th for him while he was making the league minimum.

Plus it’s too early to lock in on anyone right now, before seeing what their other options are (not that the fans make these transactions anyway, lol). 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

As it stands today, if Garnder Minshew didnt play a snap in 2022 he would be a sought after QB based on his career stats to date, which are:

63%  6000 yards 41-12 TD/INT

He likely would get a middle of the road contract in the area of 2 years and $8 million per season which is where Marcus Mariota  (2 years $18 million, $6.75 guaranteed) and Trubisky (2 years $14 million $5 guaranteed).  

However, if Minshew plays very well in the next 2+ games, there is without a doubt going to be a Matt Flynn level of escalation where he could easily get into the 3 years and $45 million with $15+ guaranteed area.  He is the rare QB who as an UDFA isnt under contract but at the same time isnt a veteran who flamed out once already, he just got replaced due to his team getting what clearly looks like a generational QB.  

What makes it even more complicated is that Phila is not in a bad spot cap wise given Jalen's contract is so low ($1.9 in 2023) that they could franchise minshew if he plays well and then get some sort of compensation back and also prevent him from going wherever he wants (although they would get a comp pick back anyway and wouldnt tie up the cap hold). 

I personally think Minshew is the best fit given his skill set and age so these next 2+ games are really big for his future and potentially for the jets future at the position. 

You think the Eagles are going to franchise the backup QB? Minshw will get backup money bc he's a backup

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

We need to fix the OL so that MW doesn’t get hit like that again.

on a side note, Zach needs 1.5 seconds longer to make a read.

get rid of Zach and upgrade the line. 

Mike White got injured on a 6 man rush where the 6th man was a delayed blitz. The delayed blitz is designed to make the o-line commit before blitzing so you get an unblocked defender. That wasn't on the o-line. At that point in the play the only one who could have reacted was White.

That's not to say we don't need to upgrade the o-line but we were very injured on the o-line this year and depth can only go so far.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mike White has started 6 games in his career and left 3 of them due to injury. He can't be relied on.

Get a better OL. He got hurt this year bc he has balls and made plays. You rather he look like #2 all frazzled like last night? JD should beef up the OL considerably in the off-season to protect MW. Offense works when he’s protected and he’ll stay healthy. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, DireJet said:

Get a better OL. He got hurt this year bc he has balls and made plays. You rather he look like #2 all frazzled like last night? JD should beef up the OL considerably in the off-season to protect MW. Offense works when he’s protected and he’ll stay healthy. 

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mike White got injured on a 6 man rush where the 6th man was a delayed blitz. The delayed blitz is designed to make the o-line commit before blitzing so you get an unblocked defender. That wasn't on the o-line. At that point in the play the only one who could have reacted was White.

That's not to say we don't need to upgrade the o-line but we were very injured on the o-line this year and depth can only go so far.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Minshew is a guy you bring into the mix if he’s cheap, or maybe sign if the team is otherwise just meh. 

If you’re going with a guy who isn’t a 100% clear-cut veteran starter, then it should be someone they knew firsthand (e.g. White). Otherwise go with someone far more proven, if available. 

Minshew would’ve been good to bring into the mix while cheap. I don’t know how pumped I’d be to give him 2 guaranteed seasons at $15MM, if that’s somehow his going rate. (If it was, I’d think Jax could’ve gotten more than a 6th for him while he was under his current dirt-cheap contract).

You have to do more than just look at stats, and how they came about, before a serious investment 

• 5 of his career TDs (and 0 picks) came in 2 games against the ‘19 and ‘21 Jets D. 
  • Going backwards:
    • 2 TDs came vs Balt. Both in garbage time. Prior to that they were getting shut out.
    • 1 TD vs Ten, down 31-3 with a minute left. 
    • 2 TDs vs SD. Punted on first 4 straight drives, and also SD’s D was freaking awful.
    • 1 TD rushing mid-game, and 1 passing TD in…garbage time. Against the Lions.
    • 2 TDs against Houston’s awful D
    • 2 TDs vs Cin’s terrible pass D
    • he did throw 3 TDs in the close season opener vs the Colts, not all in garbage time (19 of 20 passing, too).

At this point I’m stopping, but in between a lot of garbage time TDs were a lot of letdowns & taking a lot of drive-killing sacks.

I’m not saying he 100% wouldn’t be a good addition so much as I’d hope the Jets look at more than his TD:INT stats & re-watch the entire, actual games before making a serious contract offer with a couple yrs guaranteed.

It could also be that some of his quirky antics, which understandably endear him to fans of a loser, aren’t the mature leadership qualities a playoff team wants from its starting QB.

They need better insurance for White than just Wilson, if White is brought back (which seems likely — Douglas would never get another FO job if White then balled out for someone else next year while JD’s handpicked newcomer struggled). Minshew would be fine, and he might like this situation given White’s injury history, but guaranteeing him a couple yrs at $15MM/yr isn’t the same as trading a 6th for him while he was making the league minimum.

Plus it’s too early to lock in on anyone right now, before seeing what their other options are (not that the fans make these transactions anyway, lol). 

Excellent post, thanks for digging into the stats.

To the point about Minshew's quirky antics, I see the same issue to a point with mike white and yet half the posters in this thread are talking about his "leadership of this team."  MW was named the starter and the players were Tshirts with him on it - fine.  The next game they wore mightyducks jerseys and we lost.  Last night, Quincy Williams (who blew the coverage to lose the lions game and got torched again last night) dressed like an idiot.  Seems like MW's leadership is also a bit off

As for the cost of someone like Minshew, I dont think $15 million is reasonable either but both he and White make $2.5 this year and  if we go 1-1 and Minshew has a decent game this week both will get raises to $4+ million to be backups. So those numbers could easily rise. 

Personally, while the stats you post are not great, the reason I prefer him over a Jimmy G or Carr is that those guys will be $30 million per season and are what they are.  Minshew may wind up being a good QB and is only 26, vs those guys who are over 30.

1 minute ago, DireJet said:

So why didn’t a RB pick up the blitzer? I’m just saying anyone would’ve gotten hurt in that situation. That’s not unique to MW. He does need to work on his foot speed and lateral movement though. He could learn a lot from watching hours of tape on Brady. 

The RB picked up the first blitzer. The 6th guy was the second blitzer.

2 hours ago, DireJet said:

Mike White is better. And he’s the leader of our team. It’s wild people still can’t grasp the QB situation. It’s never been clearer. 

That’s fine with the exception of durability. I think White’s play will at one point bring more wins than losses with this team as it is currently constructed moving forward, but his availability is the issue or question.

• Upvote 1

My point remains. I think MW deserves a true shot to lead the team from the beginning of the season. Jimmy G gets hurt, too. We already know MW has the locker room and fanbase on his side. Time for Saleh, Woody & JD to give him an honest shot. He’s earned that much. 

OK so you're going to pay Mike White and have Zach Wilson be one MW injury away from starting? Or are you going to try and sign a guy looking for a starting job and tell him he's got to compete with MW for it?

My point remains. I think MW deserves a true shot to lead the team from the beginning of the season. Jimmy G gets hurt, too. We already know MW has the locker room and fanbase on his side. Time for Saleh, Woody & JD to give him an honest shot. He’s earned that much. 

We would have got that this year with White starting the season instead of Flacco, but White didn’t do real well in preseason which is why that didn’t happen.

5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Excellent post, thanks for digging into the stats.

To the point about Minshew's quirky antics, I see the same issue to a point with mike white and yet half the posters in this thread are talking about his "leadership of this team."  MW was named the starter and the players were Tshirts with him on it - fine.  The next game they wore mightyducks jerseys and we lost.  Last night, Quincy Williams (who blew the coverage to lose the lions game and got torched again last night) dressed like an idiot.  Seems like MW's leadership is also a bit off

As for the cost of someone like Minshew, I dont think $15 million is reasonable either but both he and White make $2.5 this year and  if we go 1-1 and Minshew has a decent game this week both will get raises to $4+ million to be backups. So those numbers could easily rise. 

Personally, while the stats you post are not great, the reason I prefer him over a Jimmy G or Carr is that those guys will be $30 million per season and are what they are.  Minshew may wind up being a good QB and is only 26, vs those guys who are over 30.

The T-shirts had funny sayings, but White isn’t quirky, clownish, etc.

He doesn’t control how other people act, what they print on a T-shirt, etc.

I don’t want them to sign Jimmy G either; not that I believe he’ll be in the $30MM/yr range anyway.

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

OK so you're going to pay Mike White and have Zach Wilson be one MW injury away from starting? Or are you going to try and sign a guy looking for a starting job and tell him he's got to compete with MW for it?

MW has nothing to do with Zach sucking. Why should he pay the price? Like I said, I’d bring back MW and improve the OL. He needs a better line to operate the offense w/out getting hurt. And maybe he wouldn’t play so desperate and with little regard for his bodily health if the organization showed him an iota of respect and belief. 

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

100% — this is the problem with paying White.

The only other veteran you’re going to be able get in here (along with White) is one who can’t get a full starting job on his own anyway. So maybe that is Minshew, maybe it’s someone else, etc. But it’s not going to be a guy who can get a starting job when the fan base (and possibly the OC) is already smitten with the QB2, looking for any excuse to yank the starter.

That’s if White even loses a preseason competition.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

His ability to stay on the field is a concern though.

It is. You’re right. I’m sure that will be a point of emphasis on improving if he returns.  I do think he played a little too desperately and ballsy this year bc his career is literally on the line. He might be smarter and not take those absurd shots if he knows every game isn’t an audition for the rest of his life. He’s played well. He’s earned it. That’s what I think. 

4 minutes ago, DireJet said:

MW has nothing to do with Zach sucking. Why should he pay the price? Like I said, I’d bring back MW and improve the OL. He needs a better line to operate the offense w/out getting hurt. And maybe he wouldn’t play so desperate and with little regard for his bodily health if the organization showed him an iota of respect and belief. 

You have to consider how the roster is constructed and the fact that Zach's contract dictates he's almost certainly on the roster next year. The team is getting back AVT, Becton, Mitchell, B. Hall and will have year 2 Sauce & GW. The 2023 Jets should be a legit contender and a professional GM needs to treat the QB position carefully.

JD cannot leave the '23 Jets one MW hit away from Zach Wilson starting. You have to bring in a quality NFL QB who doesn't have issues staying the field. People say just sign Mike White and Minshew but why is Minshew - who can sign anywhere he wants - going to put himself into a position where he is competing for a starting job with Mike White when he'll likely get offers to be the starter elsewhere?

MW should only be considered if he's our backup QB getting paid backup QB money.

• Upvote 1