Successful Season!

9 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

We have played important games in December.

We were in the hunt for playoffs.

We have multiple players in the Pro-Bowl.

We vastly improved our record from the past two seasons.

We answered the QB question.

It is dissapointing to miss the playoffs, of course, but for the first time, we have something of a roster that approaches a professional roster. It is ok to feel disssapointed, but also look at the bigger picture. We got a quick unexpected start in the beggining of the season, but because we are still not a complete roster, we were able to hang in for a while, but injuries piled on. 

In hindsight, sure. However expectations aren't ever set in stone. As the team progressed and showed us they were capable of being a playoff team, that became our expectation. This season was not a success, we started off 7-4 and lost 4 games in a row (including losses to the Lions, Vikings, and Jags). Are there some positives to take into next year? yes of course, but there's no way I can have a glass half full mentality after a full on collapse.

• Upvote 2

No.

The team has developed nicely, but the most important story of 2022 is to what extent Zach Wilson would develop.

He didn't develop at all. He showed us that he's quite possibly the worst player to ever step behind a center at the pro level. 

Total nightmare scenario. There are some great young QBs all around this league. We have failed for decades now to ever even come close to landing one. 

Face reality, guys. The best case scenario for this team is a middle-of-the-pack veteran to come here. We're not going to have a Josh Allen or a Mahomes or a Lawrence or even a Herbert. Whoever we get maybe gets us to respectability, but no chance he's a star that dominates games. It's never going to happen for us. Ever.

It was a “successful” season based on the measures most fans set at the beginning of the year. We all wanted to know if Zach was the guy. And we all were hoping to be competitive. We were competitive and we learned Zach is not the guy.

Not sure I would call it a success since we failed at QB. Maybe productive is a better word. 

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

It's never going to happen for us. Ever.

Sad but true.
Will this franchise ever have some a QB the likes of a Mahomes or Allen? 
Maybe down the road, but not with this regime at the helm.

They now have to pivot and pull a “Fabre” type move in the off season 

I say break the bank, go get Lamar and be done with it.

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

It was a “successful” season based on the measures most fans set at the beginning of the year. We all wanted to know if Zach was the guy. And we all were hoping to be competitive. We were competitive and we learned Zach is not the guy.

Not sure I would call it a success since we failed at QB. Maybe productive is a better word. 

“Ascending” ?

• Upvote 1

Successful to the point of looking at last year's team and how far the Defense progressed . We got some ballers on Offense , but dang we lost close to 5 games where we should have won with capable QB and OL play , as well as plays being called to fit game scenarios .  I just hope this is the building block for the future , another good offseason making the right moves should do the trick .

To me the better way of looking at it is that JD had Darnold, for all of his warts, and decided that using another super-premium pick for Zach Wilson was better for the Jets organization.  That decision, which I believe Woody strongly supported to avoid paying Darnold year 5, was very, very wrong.  I was actually optimistic that MLF could turn Darnold into a QB at least as good as White.

Maybe Darnold comes back for $10m?

• Sympathy 1

We are improved and the arrow is pointing up, but I think when you go from 7-4 to 7-8 and no-show the biggest game of the year in primetime, it can't be looked at as a successful season. I think it was largely a successful offseason (i.e. draft) and a step in the right direction, but still a disappointing season because of the wasted playoff opportunity. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

To me the better way of looking at it is that JD had Darnold, for all of his warts, and decided that using another super-premium pick for Zach Wilson was better for the Jets organization.  That decision, which I believe Woody strongly supported to avoid paying Darnold year 5, was very, very wrong.  I was actually optimistic that MLF could turn Darnold into a QB at least as good as White.

Zach Wilson being terrible does not mean that Darnold doesn't suck. 

• Haha 1

The fact that it's disappointing that we missed the playoffs it's a different question. However, we wanted to see progress in the roster. Check We wanted to see competitive play. Check . Finally we wanted to find out if Zach is the guy. Tremendous Check . We got everything we wanted.

The fact that we don't like the answer does not mean that it's not a success to have the question answered.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

If we could get Darnold back for $10m, I'd be all over that.  And re-sign MW while we're at it.

• Upvote 1

It was a success until the Jets had success. Then the goalposts got moved. My expectations were a 7-9 win season. If I changed that and was suddenly upset they only won 7 or 8 games, I would be a hypocrite.

If the Jets started 3-6 instead of 6-3 and made it to 7-8 with a mathematical possibility of making it, would people feel differently? This is why the bigger sample size is necessary. The full season has been relatively successful, Zach's failures aside. The post-bye part of the season has certainly not been successful.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we could get Darnold back for $10m, I'd be all over that.  And re-sign MW while we're at it.

That would hold us over for the year or two that we need to fully depth this squad. Need a massive influx of OL through the draft and either LBs to emerge or buy one/two. I think we have enough DL depth and CB/TE is adequate depth. RB check. S is iffy. WR depth is iffy, And yes QB is really lacking. Salary cap is not fantastic, so your solution could work.  We will need a year to dump ZW and, possibly, MB salaries as well as others.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, usapaw said:

That would hold us over for the year or two that we need to fully depth this squad. Need a massive influx of OL through the draft and either LBs to emerge or buy one/two. I think we have enough DL depth and CB/TE is adequate depth. RB check. S is iffy. WR depth is iffy, And yes QB is really lacking. Salary cap is not fantastic, so your solution could work.  We will need a year to dump ZW and, possibly, MB salaries as well as others.

We certainly do need at least a year for that.  It's a real shame that ZW seems like a massive bust and won't even be able to tide us over into year 3.  

34 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

The fact that it's disappointing that we missed the playoffs it's a different question. However, we wanted to see progress in the roster. Check We wanted to see competitive play. Check . Finally we wanted to find out if Zach is the guy. Tremendous Check . We got everything we wanted.

The fact that we don't like the answer does not mean that it's not a success to have the question answered.

I came into the season hoping to see improvement across the board and have that show up in the record in the form of simply avoiding double-digit losses. One more win (or tie) and that’s accomplished.

The other glaring matter was the Zach question. Deciding that he is the franchise guy was obviously the optimal answer. That didn’t happen. So short of that, the next best case was at least deciding once and for all that he isn’t the guy was the next best case. I don’t know if they’ve decided that yet or not, though. I hope they have. It’s almost impossible to imagine him turning it around in one of those hideous Jets uniforms, if at all. He’s still a former highly regarded prospect, and he still has two years left in his rookie deal, best move for me now would be to get whatever they can for him in a trade and start over with a capable veteran. And if they wanna sell out for something better, I’m not gonna stop them. I do not want to see another rookie starter, though. Zach has sucked, do not get me wrong here, but he was largely never given a chance by a lot of fans do the hangover we all had from Darnold. Let’s get a vet in here who can provide at least competent QB play, and draft a QB when the right one for LaFluer’s system shows himself. There should be no rush, and not another attempt to fit a square peg in a round hole. Get a guy who’s gonna be plug & play. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Darnold lost his job to Baker Mayfield who now is a journey man lol...Darnold was not the answer for a new HC and no reason to pay. The good news is they do not need to hand out QB $ for a while and maybe get more pieces in place for OL, LBs and punter.

2 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

It is dissapointing to miss the playoffs, of course, but for the first time, we have something of a roster that approaches a professional roster. It is ok to feel disssapointed, but also look at the bigger picture. We got a quick unexpected start in the beggining of the season, but because we are still not a complete roster, we were able to hang in for a while, but injuries piled on. 

Go root for another team

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Face reality, guys. The best case scenario for this team is a middle-of-the-pack veteran to come here. We're not going to have a Josh Allen or a Mahomes or a Lawrence or even a Herbert. Whoever we get maybe gets us to respectability, but no chance he's a star that dominates games. It's never going to happen for us. Ever.

Conceding that, it makes sense if the Jets put most of their resources into building a formidable O-line, designed primarily to run the ball. If the Jets strategy is to continue to run the same offense next year, it's not going to work. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

last night's game definitely felt important.. I mean, not for the reasons Joe D wanted, but important and meaningful none the less. 

• Upvote 1