Let's Talk Next Jets QB For 2022-23

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm not sure the Jets will have enough to pay Zach, Mike White, and an outside FA QB but Gardner Minshew should be on this list IMO.

I know people are ready to send Zach to some other galaxy, but a) he's untradeable at anything near fair value and b) he's owed a lot of gteed money in 2023.  Has to be included in the mix even as a QB3 who never sees the field...

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I know people are ready to send Zach to some other galaxy, but a) he's untradeable at anything near fair value and b) he's owed a lot of gteed money in 2023.  Has to be included in the mix even as a QB3 who never sees the field...

Agreed I think it’s best to grab a younger qb with some upside and production like jones and draft someone in the 3rdish round. 

FA qb is the starter and Zach/rookie battle it out for qb 2/3

the rookie won’t have the pressure to start like an early pick and can just sit and learn for a couple years 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:
  1. Mike White
  2. Gardner Minshew
  3. Zach Wilson/mid-rounder (in unlikely event trade partner is found for Wilson)
  4. Chris Streveler (practice squad)

Make it happen, Tanny.

That’s like 35 mil in qbs. At that point why not just go after a bigger name guy and draft a mid round qb 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

That’s like 35 mil in qbs. At that point why not just go after a bigger name guy and draft a mid round qb 

I mean we're gonna owe Wilson regardless so no matter what we're tying money up into multiple QBs next season. 

And how exactly are you getting to $35M here?  What are you thinking White and Minshew will cost?

Bring back White and sign a solid vet like Minshew to spice things up.

Gather capital for a future move at a QB in '24. I'm 100% a fan of drafting and developing another QB, but not this year. We also need to make sure we have a quality vet in place if we were to do this. If anything goes wrong we still need to be able to win games. No sinking or swimming with a young guy, I'll take insurance please. 

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Derek Carr - I’d take him but don’t want to give up draft picks. Kind of doubt Oakland…LA…LV whatever lets him go This is one guy I am high on. The Jets WILL jave to give up draft picks. But it may be much less that a player of his caliber is worth. If they can get him for less than a 2nd rounder and renegotiate his contract. I'm willing to roll the dice. He has an 'out' in his contract and LV may want to trade him instead of cutting him if they are choosing to re-build/draft a QB. Unlikely, but possible.  
Jared Goff - can’t imagine Detroit cutting bait  Agreed.
Ryan Tannehill - I think Mike White is just as good for less $  He is not. JMHO. Tannehill is the grizzly vet version of Mike White. While he is not at the top of my list, I think he is a better option that MW. 
Matt Ryan - burnt toast body and scrambled eggs brains Agreed.
Sam Darnold - on the cheap sure as long as we’re drafting and developing someone elseNo Thanks! Darnold is not the veteran upgrade we need. He is a disaster waiting to happen. Still unproven. Just no. I don't care if we are developing a young QB. We still need to try to win now. Darnold will not take us there. 
Tom Brady - hell yes as long as we’re drafting and developing someone else Agreed. I hate him. It will be hard to root for him. But it makes sense. He is an ageless wonder. As long as the Jets can beef up the o-line. 
Jacoby Brissett - Not the best but would be an upgradeAgreed. This would be a roll of the dice but I think he still has room to grow. I like Brissett. Not my top choice but I would be fine with it. 
Aaron Rodgers - Gotta roll the dice for a Lombardi why not? Worth the risk for costAgreed. Don't think the Jets can afford him and something will need to be figured out with his contract. But yes. I'm fine with the ghost of Aaron Rodgers here for a couple of years to try to win the Lombardi trophy.
Andy Dalton - Red Flacco noAgreed. Maybe as a backup on the cheap. 
Daniel Jones - Going to be overpriced after the year he’s had and I doubt we pay that price I don't care about the price. He's shown to be a good, young QB with the arrow pointing up. I just don't think the Jets will ever pry him away from the Giants. 
Taylor Heineke - Mike WhiteAgreed.
Geno Smith - Noway Seattle lets him walk.Agreed.
Jordan Love - Very intriguing and given his knowledge of the system and is basically a rookie with pro experience I think there’s high upside hereCompletely unproven and GB will not let him get away.
Russell Wilson - scrambled egg brainsAgreed.
Baker Mayfield - on the cheap sure as long as we’re drafting and developing someone elseNope. Same as Darnold. He's just not the guy to lead this team to the playoffs next year, regardless of who we are developing. 

How is Lamar Jackson not on this list. I mean, I know its a pipedream that he will actually end up on the Jets, but he is a potential QB available in FA. He is the TOP guy every QB needy team should consider. The biggest talent, the most dangerous weapon. I don't care what system he fits in. You bring him to the Jets, with this defense and offensive weapons, they are immediate SB contenders. At the very least, you can pencil them into the playoffs- barring injuries. 

If you want to suggest to me that Lamar is not worth the money or MLF cannot figure out a way to use him, you are wrong. Flat. Out incorrect. Every OC loves a guy like Lamar because of how easy he makes calling plays for him.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

How is Lamar Jackson not on this list. I mean, I know its a pipedream that he will actually end up on the Jets, but he is a potential QB available in FA. He is the TOP guy every QB needy team should consider. The biggest talent, the most dangerous weapon. I don't care what system he fits in. You bring him to the Jets, with this defense and offensive weapons, they are immediate SB contenders. At the very least, you can pencil them into the playoffs- barring injuries. 

If you want to suggest to me that Lamar is not worth the money or MLF cannot figure out a way to use him, you are wrong. Flat. Out incorrect. Every OC loves a guy like Lamar because of how easy he makes calling plays for him.  

I don't think the Jets can afford him, saddle bagged with Zach's Salary hit.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean we're gonna owe Wilson regardless so no matter what we're tying money up into multiple QBs next season. 

And how exactly are you getting to $35M here?  What are you thinking White and Minshew will cost?

Zach is like 10

Minshew will be like 10-15 depending on how he plays these next couple games

White maybe like 10

if you go after someone like Goff if he’s available he’ll be around 20

zach is 10

draft a mid round qb for cheap

both options come out to about the same $ but you get a proven at least average qb in Goff 

7 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Zach is like 10

Minshew will be like 10-15 depending on how he plays these next couple games

White maybe like 10

if you go after someone like Goff if he’s available he’ll be around 20

zach is 10

draft a mid round qb for cheap

both options come out to about the same $ but you get a proven at least average qb in Goff 

Goff is under contract through 2024.  You go after Goff now you have to give up draft assets.

And Goff's contract is over $30M per year, currently.  Meaning White + Minshew would be cheaper than Goff by $5-10M per anyways if you're correct about their going rates.  

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Goff is under contract through 2024.  You go after Goff now you have to give up draft assets.

And Goff's contract is over $30M per year, currently.  Meaning White + Minshew would be cheaper than Goff anyways if you're correct about their going rates.  

Someone better at contracts than me can chime in, but wouldn’t the lions pay for part of his contract if traded? Spotrac is showing 25 mil in yearly cash which is salary + roster bonus. 10 mil in dead cap which may have already been paid. 

They also have 200 mil in salaries going into 2023 with a projected cap of 225. Their first round picks alone are projected to be around 10 mil. That leaves 15 to sign the rest of the draft class and free agents. Perhaps he’ll be a cut instead of a trade as well 

5 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Someone better at contracts than me can chime in, but wouldn’t the lions pay for part of his contract if traded? 

They also have 200 mil in salaries going into 2023 with a projected cap of 225. Their first round picks alone are projected to be around 10 mil. That leaves 15 to sign the rest of the draft class and free agents. Perhaps he’ll be a cut instead of a trade as well 

I mean sure but you're still talking about trading away picks for a QB when Minshew and White can be signed for free.  We have cap space to burn.  We don't have the draft capital like we did in years past.  I care far more about picks than I do cap space.  @Barry McCockinner

No chance Detroit cuts Goff.  They'd be hit with something like a $5 or $10M dead cap hit for a guy who they'd want to get picks back for.  Why create a hole at QB that they'd need to fill?

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean sure but you're still talking about trading away picks for a QB when Minshew and White can be signed for free.  We have cap space to burn.  We don't have the draft capital like we did in years past.  I care far more about picks than I do cap space.  @Barry McCockinner

No chance Detroit cuts Goff.  They'd be hit with something like a $5 or $10M dead cap hit for a guy who they'd want to get picks back for.  Why create a hole at QB that they'd need to fill?

They have a top 5 pick and another in the top 20. They may be in the market to either trade up for Bryce young or fancy another qb so who knows what the plan is. 

What would Goff even go for in a trade? A 2nd or 3rd? Sign me up for that all day. He’s better than any qb we’ve had in a very long time 

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

They have a top 5 pick and another in the top 20. They may be in the market to either trade up for Bryce young or fancy another qb so who knows what the plan is. 

What would Goff even go for in a trade? A 2nd or 3rd? Sign me up for that all day. He’s better than any qb we’ve had in a very long time 

I have to imagine Goff would require a 1st in the deal.  He's still only 28 years old, after all.  And if Goff is as good as you're saying here (he might be), why trade him at all?

Just because they have high picks already doesn't mean they won't want another 1st.  They need to fix that bottom tier defense.  Starting over with a rookie QB when they already have a decent veteran QB makes little sense.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I have to imagine Goff would require a 1st in the deal.  He's still only 28 years old, after all.  And if Goff is as good as you're saying here (he might be), why trade him at all?

Just because they have high picks already doesn't mean they won't want another 1st.  They need to fix that bottom tier defense.  Starting over with a rookie QB when they already have a decent veteran QB makes little sense.

If a qb is drafted top 5 teams generally don’t sit them anymore. Why pay someone that much money to ride the bench when they are very tight on cap. 

If it was a 1st then I’d be less willing to make the trade and instead go after someone like Daniel jones or baker and still draft a mid round qb 

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

If a qb is drafted top 5 teams generally don’t sit them anymore. Why pay someone that much money to ride the bench when they are very tight on cap. 

If it was a 1st then I’d be less willing to make the trade and instead go after someone like Daniel jones or baker and still draft a mid round qb 

Daniel Jones would be more expensive than Minshew....

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And Goff's contract is over $30M per year, currently.  Meaning White + Minshew would be cheaper than Goff by $5-10M per anyways if you're correct about their going rates.  

Isn't White + Minshew a bit redundant? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Oo Zach will be here at least til June 1st when he becomes (sort of) tradeable. I think as long as the locker room isn't lost he will be on the team.

6 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Why? He has the body of josh Allen with 66 comp % 12 tds 4 ints 2700 passing yards 600 rushing yards 5 rushing tds with trash receivers. Imagine him with guys like Garrett Wilson 

Allen is 15-20 pounds heavier.  And while I do appreciate the ability to run, as a thrower, how is he any better than Mike White, exactly?  He's averaging 6.6 YPA this season and that's been a consistent # throughout his career (6.6 as well).  White's career YPA is 7.3.  As is Minshew's.  Jones takes tons of sacks too and always has.

If we want a dink & dunk game manager type there are much cheaper options out there.

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Oo Zach will be here at least til June 1st when he becomes (sort of) tradeable. I think as long as the locker room isn't lost he will be on the team.

Unless you're including the Montreal Alouettes and the St. Louis Battlehawks in your list of partners, Zach is not tradeable pre or post June 1

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Allen is 15-20 pounds heavier.  And while I do appreciate the ability to run, as a thrower, how is he any better than Mike White, exactly?  He's averaging 6.6 YPA this season and that's been a consistent # throughout his career (6.6 as well).  White's career YPA is 7.3.  As is Minshew's.  Jones takes tons of sacks too and always has.

If we want a dink & dunk game manager type there are much cheaper options out there.

White has a full 2 more yards of YAC per completion more than Jones. This has a lot to do with the quality of the weapons. His receivers are complete trash and wouldn’t even crack our top 3 or 4. 

Per ESPN they are both 6’5. Jones is 230 Allen is 237.  7 lbs isn’t that much of a difference 

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

White has a full 2 more yards of YAC per completion more than Jones. This has a lot to do with the quality of the weapons. His receivers are complete trash and wouldn’t even crack our top 3 or 4. 

So for 4 years his receivers have been trash and are fully to blame for that low YPA?  Nah, not buying that.  He is what he is.  

And how about Minshew?  What receivers has he been throwing to over his career to date?

42 minutes ago, Coquito said:

I don't think the Jets can afford him, saddle bagged with Zach's Salary hit.

This is true. But it depends on what they want to do, right? How bad they want to make it happen. Anything is possible. Even if they kept Zach, lets say Lamar costs somewhere near 38mil a year? So we are talking about 48mil + a third stringer tied up at the QB position?  

JD will definitely need to work some magic to clear space. But its doable. It won't completely cripple the team. We have a young, talented roster. Cutting Tomlinson, re-structuring CJ Mosley (again), cutting Lawson, cutting Davis. This will all clear quite a bit of cap. Some of these guys will need to be replaced. But its worth it if you have the opportunity to bring in a guy like Lamar Jackson. He's a gamechanger. I mean a complete gamechanger like th eJets have never seen at QB. 

Again, far from the only option. But just pointing out that its POSSIBLE. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Unless you're including the Montreal Alouettes and the St. Louis Battlehawks in your list of partners, Zach is not tradeable pre or post June 1

Sorry, I'm talking about from a financial standpoint. We could Cut/Trade him post June 1st and it wouldn't be completely detrimental.

Oddly enough, this is also when the Packers could theoretically move on from Rodgers. Would still be massive cap hits for them in 23 and 24 but it COULD be done.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My hope is White's injury prone nature goes away.  If it doesn't, then some redundancy would actually be a good thing.

Fair, which I think might lead JD towards a more durable option like Minshew and let White test the market.  Not sure many teams can afford FA QBs 1A and 1B anymore.  But to your point, Mr. Coffee's brutal 2019 draft leaves only Q in need of a payday so JD might be able to do it.