Let's Talk Next Jets QB For 2022-23

39 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We should also go hard after Daniel Jones. If anything just to upset the giants FO and force them to franchise tag him or give him a huge contract

then draft Will Levis  after resigning White

I'm on board with pursuing Jones while 90 percent of the board scoffs at it in favor of Minshew?

I'm completely out on Levis though. The only reason he's a draft darling is the physical tools he possesses... he level of play and film is not good.

Screenshot_20221224-083808_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5908c0dfb940e1a3672f6212ca6d94e8.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

Cause he stunk prior and couldn't trust him coming off injury. He's clearly developed. Again, if they let a productive DJ walk, tell me who are they getting to replace him?

What do you mean he stunk? He’s played a bit better this year, but not some huge jump. He’s been steadily improving over his career. 

who knows what the giants will do? Trade for Carr or sign a vet etc 

920A284C-89A5-44D5-8D04-450778D42CF8.png

20 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I'm on board with pursuing Jones while 90 percent of the board scoffs at it in favor of Minshew?

I'm completely out on Levis though. The only reason he's a draft darling is the physical tools he possesses... he level of play and film is not good.

Screenshot_20221224-083808_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5908c0dfb940e1a3672f6212ca6d94e8.jpg

Levis was playing against top competition while on a bad team. 

21 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

I hear ya on White, but all the guy has done is show he can do it.  Maybe not stay healthy behind a sh*tty o-line, but he has been solid in this offense when healthy.  I'd resign White, bring in an established vet for competition and consider a round 2, round 3 QB this year.  Solidify the o-line. Face it, I doubt a 25-30 million Garropollo is coming here, and even if he did, he'd be booed out of the stadium the moment he had a 15-28, 160 yds, and 3 int type of day vs. NE or BUF.  Our only hope is an underdog like White rising from his 5th round stature to take the position.  Jets fans like underdogs, witness Streveler, who can't throw an NFL out. 

I like White just think he's severely limited, I have enjoyed the competent QB play I have seen from him... I'd  give him these two games but I dont see a point in paying him more than 5-6 mil or letting him walk. 

Resigning ourselves to signing a flawed underdog because our fanbase is a bunch of deranged escaped zoo animals is bad process... there has to be a less than heavily flawed prospect that can handle our vitriol.

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

I heard all the hullabaloo about Levis so watched one of their important later season games and came way 100% underwhelmed.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Guys he's not hitting free agency. He's having a good year, will want the moon, and the giants will respond by franchising him because there are NO OTHER options past him. They certainly wouldn't just let him walk without getting nothing in return.

They gonna franchise jones and see if he can repeat his success. They'll sign Barkley to a long term deal. Neither guy is going anywhere, they are the whole offense for them.

Ya 100% spot on.
As much as I would want Jones if Giants tag him, he could become Dak 2.0. All he would need was to have a solid year on the franchise tag and he would have Gmen by the balls.

I love how local sports talk thinks he might “take a hometown discount, maybe 2 year deal”.  Go take a look at Ryan Tannehills contract from a couple of years ago….

13 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Why? He has the body of josh Allen with 66 comp % 12 tds 4 ints 2700 passing yards 600 rushing yards 5 rushing tds with trash receivers. Imagine him with guys like Garrett Wilson 

Daboll had him playing with training wheels all year basically.....I wouldn't trust him in a different situation

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Levis was playing against top competition while on a bad team. 

Yeah I hear you... still not in love with the prospect and some mock drafts have him as a top 10 pick already.... the analytics and film I guys follow are not fond of him... I'm off that hype train at that price.

2 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

My whole thing is Jones and Love have upside that Minshew and White can't touch. They could be the guy... the best Minshew and White can be is the bridge.

The thing is.....we need more bridge then upside for the next year or two. Zach has just as much upside then any of them....but who cares if he's gonna be a trash can on the field....DJ is being propped up by great coaching, and Love is an unknown commodity, you want to dump picks into the unknown? 

A high floor and competence would go a long way at QB1 next year.....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Jones has played well. High completion % every year, more tds than ints, solid rushing production. 

However there are nuances to just using stats to analyze a player. How was his supporting cast? Would he be more successful with a better team? Has he been improving throughout his career? At the moment with a very poor wr/te room he’s an average qb, which is still better than what we have even if he’d didn’t improve with a better roster. 

@football guy @JiFields

Check out this philosophical post yo

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

My whole thing is Jones and Love have upside that Minshew and White can't touch. They could be the guy... the best Minshew and White can be is the bridge.

I get it, I roasted Gettlemen on the Jones pick ruthlessly, I found Jones to be a big doofy doe eyed dullard but if we're being objective Jones has shown progress that we wish any of our drafted QB's had and hes doing it with saquon and nothing else.

Oh god stop not the upside argument!  Darnold still has “upside” too just ready to unlock so throw him in the mix too, lol.

Jones has been in the league 4 years.  Love 3.  If there’s secret upside there we’d have certainly seen it out of Jones and plenty of teams would be looking to trade for Love by now.  

Minshew and White can improve, too.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh god stop not the upside argument!  Darnold still has “upside” too just ready to unlock so throw him in the mix too, lol.

Jones has been in the league 4 years.  Love 3.  If there’s secret upside there we’d have certainly seen it out of Jones and plenty of teams would be looking to trade for Love by now.  

Come on man just stop with the white bs. He’s a 28 years old practice squad guy. What upside do you honestly see him having? Being the 25th best qb in the league? Is that what you want?

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Come on man just stop with the white bs. He’s 28 years old practice squad guy. What upside do you honestly see him having? Being the 25th best qb in the league? Is that what you want?

He has 6 starts in his career.  It stands to reason a full offseason with the team committing to him as a starter could stand to help him get better, yes.  I’m not saying be has elite upside or a lot of improvement to make…but cheap top 20-ish QB play?  Absolutely in the cards for him.  And that has value as a “bridge guy” at worst.  

Now do Minshew.  Why can’t HE improve?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He has 6 starts in his career.  It stands to reason a full offseason with the team committing to him as a starter could stand to help him get better, yes.  I’m not saying be has elite upside or a lot of improvement to make…but cheap top 20 QB play?  Absolutely in the cards for him.

Why does he only have 6 starts? Why was he on the scrap heap his entire career? If he was good he would have played earlier. The cowboys dumped him for copper rush and didn’t  look back. No one besides the jets who have had trash at qb even wanted  him and teams had plenty of chances 

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Why does he only have 6 starts? Why was he on the scrap heap his entire career? If he was good he would have played earlier. The cowboys dumped him for copper rush and didn’t  look back. No one besides the jets who have had trash at qb even wanted  him and teams had plenty of chances 

Mid/late round picks get no special treatment.  Just look at Minshew.  Who cares how they got to where they are.  They both produce when they play.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Mid/late round picks get no special treatment.  Just look at Minshew.  Who cares how they got to where they are.  They both produce when they play.  

Dak was a mid round pick. Russell Wilson was a mid round pick. Brady was a late round pick, there are plenty of guys who are mid/late round picks and showed they are good enough to start by the team who drafted them.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He has 6 starts in his career.  It stands to reason a full offseason with the team committing to him as a starter could stand to help him get better, yes.  I’m not saying be has elite upside or a lot of improvement to make…but cheap top 20-ish QB play?  Absolutely in the cards for him.  And that has value as a “bridge guy” at worst.  

And this is maybe an indicator of how sad things have gotten... Top 20 QB play sounds AMAZING right now!! Man, I could really go for that!!

As per some random stats we can cherry pick, I had White in that 15 to 20 range in regards to top QBs. Still has some things to work through, like learning that taking a charging LB to the ribs is a bad thing (I appreciate his mental fortitude for getting the pass off, but he needs to learn how to survive).

The knock on his is durability, but Zach has already missed 9 games in 2 seasons due to knee issues, and no one seems concerned with that.

But White gets his ribs crushed by an unblocked rusher and he's an egg... /shrug.

• Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Listen here you testy **** ?

If you think The Mustache Minshew and Mike "the mildy mobile ceramic statue" White give us the best chance in 2023 I say whatever... Sure why not...

Even with Jones and Love were arguing about rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic I just like the idea that there is a 1% + chance that they are more than a bridge to nowhere.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Does this sound like a Zach redux? Guy can throw the ball and is 6'5, but slow processor and inaccurate? 

1 minute ago, Lurker89 said:

Listen here you testy **** ?

If you think The Mustache Minshew and Mike "the mildy mobile ceramic statue" White give us the best chance in 2023 I say whatever... Sure why not...

Even with Jones and Love were arguing about rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic I just like the idea that there is a 1% + chance that they are more than a bridge to nowhere.

I know it's a typo, but I can't stop laughing at someone referring to Mike as mildy (mix of moldy and mildew, as per Urban dictionary). I think that is completely uncalled for. :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

The thing is.....we need more bridge then upside for the next year or two. Zach has just as much upside then any of them....but who cares if he's gonna be a trash can on the field....DJ is being propped up by great coaching, and Love is an unknown commodity, you want to dump picks into the unknown? 

A high floor and competence would go a long way at QB1 next year.....

I mean I'm all for a floor of competence i just dont thjnk we should pay more than 7-8 mill for it and I don't think Mike White sees more than than that on an open market 

Keep Mike White at 7 mil bury Zach in the back yard bring in the Mustache  and die a slow death I'm down with it

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I'm on for the mustache ride and keep White he's a great back up/potential starter. We had one of the worst QBs in NFL history start for half the season and the Jets are STILL in the playoff hunt. Small chance I know but still. Those 2 will do just fine and combined are probably cheaper than paying for G, Carr, ARod.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Does this sound like a Zach redux? Guy can throw the ball and is 6'5, but slow processor and inaccurate? 

He's been more productive than Zach but thats not saying anything.... 

Hes got something like 57 passing TDs in 53 games so thats atrocious... it's just less atrocious than what I'm accustomed to.... years of being a Jets fan has broken me and I now see terrible as an improvement over abysmal and something to strive for.... what do you want ... I mean look at us.... 

Look @Jetsfan80and @xJayce  you guys want me on the Minshew train ...fine I'm on it..  LET'S RIDE... in reality his resume is better than DJ or JL even if I question the upside....  I don't really want to look at Daniel Jones ****ing googly eyes every week anyway.

• Haha 2

Just now, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

To the guys talking Mike White should be back , as a free agent how much are you willing to pay him ? What's the going rate for an NFL starter, cause thata what he'll be asking for.

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

That very well might be the only reason Jets management wouldn't want to play him these last two games; because if he lights it up they won't be able to afford to keep him. 

The biggest egregious error is why they didn't replace Flacco in the preseason. All other mistakes could be forgiven, but that one decision more than anything cost the Jets the playoffs this year.

• Sympathy 1