Jets need to start Zach Wilson rest of season to make definitive decision

Anthony Jet

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

We will know that Zach Wilson's era will end once Joe Douglas promises his parents the following (hint: Sam Darnold)

“he’d do everything in his power” to protect their son with “protection and playmakers.”

Tbf, though, JD did try.  He drafted Becton and traded up for AVT.  He drafted GW, Breece and Eli Moore.  He signed Corey Davis, Laken Tomlinson, 2 TEs, McGovern, Duane Brown, etc. 

Unlike with Darnold, the Jets actually did try to support Zach. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

The Jets have two quarterbacks they need to evaluate: Zack and White. We own Zack for a couple more years but have to make a decision whether or not to pay White. So if healthy you play White.

Evaluating White is more important than anything else right now. 

Zach is broken. He needs a genuine reset that encompasses an off season plan and full training camp. Nothing meaningful will be gleaned watching him play QB anymore this season. And he's only going somehwere if JD wants him to.

Mike White, please heal up.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Jets will and should start White if available because he gives team best chance to win and we’re not eliminated yet. But if no White start Zach. Team has a lot invested in him plus all of these pundits and fans declaring him as finished not capable of playing etc. I don’t buy it yet. 

What are you not buying? I don’t get it. You have watched 2 straight years of the worst qb play imaginable. How much more convincing do you need

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

No one wants Wilson. He stinks and is a locker room cancer.  At least Darnold was a nice kid who had flashes of being good on bad jet teams

There’s is nothing that has been written to indicate he’s a cancer or a bad kid.

Bad QB, yes, person, no.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

I've been in this camp.  I've seen enough. He's spent.  He's lost the team already.  Only reason you play him is if you think he'll show better upside on the road to consider a trade.  Or if White is not cleared.  Even then, I give the team to Flacco to finish the season, tip of the cap to the fella before he leaves town.  

The half-glass full opinion here is the organization can confidently pivot to a White vs. veteran and hit reset at QB, rather than waiting another year or two.  We invested in FTX and got burned... time to lick the wounds, buy Apple at 130 and move on.  No different than the majority of other teams who draft QBs in the top 10 and don't hit paydirt, except that we are pivoting earlier.  Would you feel good if you were in NE (or even the Giants) right now, where you are stuck in mediocrity at the QB position?   The good news is this team, with some returns from IR and a few good moves in the offseason, is pretty well-stocked for an average/above average QB to come in and play well on a middling contract.  I also suspect that Wilson, barring a decent trade offer, is on the roster next year and would see action if QB1 gets hurt.  The cap hits are not good. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, freestater said:

we need to see more of a Mike White audition. There's no urgency figuring out Zach, but White is a free agent at season's end. That being said, my gut feeling is we won't see White again this season. 

If White doesn’t play again this season, it’s because of his ribs. He would’ve seen the field on Thursday if he was physically capable, and a lot earlier than we saw Streveler.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I agree with Saleh here. You could see it in virtually every throw against the Jaguars. He has no confidence in himself, in his team mates, in the play, anything. You can see him hesitate before letting go of the ball every single time, unsure where he wants to put it or, really, where it’s gonna go. 

As for Cannizzaro’s point, it’s dumb. If they’re going to keep Zach heading into 2023, that decision has already been made. Two more games watching him suck isn’t going to change anything. And he isn’t going to get better, he’s come back from every one of these hiatuses looking as good as he’s going to look before regressing again. There’s no point in sending him out there. If White’s not healthy, I’d give the Strev’s loyalists a two game thrill before I threw Zach back in there - especially if I’m planning to bring him back.* No reason to destroy him further this year. 

* - I hope they’ve made the decision to trade him already. If that’s the case, showing him sucking for two more games isn’t going to help anything, either. But Cannizarro’s always been the worst. 

Reading this thread, you can tell nobody is ever going to let him get confidence here. They boo'd him at the game on the first drive of the game, when we had a botched running play and a dumb ass QB draw that didnt work, they started boo'ing him right there. 

He probably doesn't have the mental makeup to be a QB here, but then again, not sure anyone young does. This fan base is absolutely brutal to the detriment of the team

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think it’s the opposite, i think we need to see white play if he can.  First to see if white can continue to be competent in this offense, and second, to see if in fact the offensive scheme is not the problem. 

I agree we need to evaluate White instead of Wilson. As to the scheme, don't we have enough evidence of QBs not named Zach having success?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Reading this thread, you can tell nobody is ever going to let him get confidence here. They boo'd him at the game on the first drive of the game, when we had a botched running play and a dumb ass QB draw that didnt work, they started boo'ing him right there. 

He probably doesn't have the mental makeup to be a QB here, but then again, not sure anyone young does. This fan base is absolutely brutal to the detriment of the team

The guy might be the worst starting QB this franchise has ever trotted out there. What do you want people to do, cheer about him being incompetent against a garbage defense in a must win December game?

It's not the fans fault he is bad at football. These blame the fans takes are nauseating.

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

The confidence comes from himself, from learning and improving.  What we’re seeing is a guy who can’t figure anything out, needed the Linus security blanket of his college qb coach and that didn’t work either.  Not every qb figures out the pro game and it has nothing to do with arm talent or escapability.  Unfortunately.

Why? So Zach Wilson can continue to play bad and we can listen to deflections about how it's the O-Line, the coordinator, etc? No thanks.

The Jets need to hope Mike White is cleared so they can evaluate him. If he's not, i'm at the point where I guess I would just rather watch Joe Flacco. Try and at least secure a winning season.

if its not White it has to be Flacco.

i dont know how Saleh who has been with these guys everyday since July can look them in the face and say Zach is better than Flacco. if he starts Zach they might as well forfeit cause this team will be so demoralized by this they're going to get killed next week.

if im a player i rather have Flacco who comp 58% and avgs 300 yds over the guy who comp 54% and avgs 150 yds. 

we still have young guys that need to be developed. GW, Moore, Mims, Bam. we cant keep forcing the worst QB in the NFL on them. 

27 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The guy might be the worst starting QB this franchise has ever trotted out there. What do you want people to do, cheer about him being incompetent against a garbage defense in a must win December game?

It's not the fans fault he is bad at football. These blame the fans takes are nauseating.

Nobody is blaming the fans, but if you don't recognize that 3/4 of the fan base hated him before he ever threw an NFL pass and didnt want him drafted, youre kidding yourself. These kids are real people, not robots, they have emotions, confidence, lack of confidence, just like anyone else

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Just to be clear, I don't give two sh*ts about ZW, or any other player on the Jets. I care about the laundry and would like to see whatever players happen to be wearing the laundry succeed enough to win a SB some day in my lifetime. Nobody wants anyone to cheer bad play, but a tiny bit of patience maybe would have helped. The HC points to confidence being his biggest problem, maybe there is something to that. I don't know, but what I do know is blaming everything on a young player is not helpful for the player or the team. As far as I am concerned ZW is done here, and should never play here again, just like Darnold, Geno, Sanchez before him. 

BUT, lets be real, we are never getting a real QB here, its just not going to happen. The best we can hope for is to have a Fitzpatrick type season once in a while, and even with him everyone hated him and could not wait to get Geno back in to start hating him again. 

• Upvote 2

This is a load of crap ... Zach needs to be buried on the depth chart until one day in the unlikely event he emerges like a cicada from the bowels of history as a true no 1 QB capable of great things.

I don't want to see him at all for the remainder of this season

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I was holding out hope until I saw the strev move the ball.  That eliminated LaFluer from the equation. It’s actually sad from a human aspect, Zach is shot mentally. There’s no coming back from that.  

No. 

It hardened Lafleur as part of the equation because Strev just went out there and did his thing. 

LaFleur changed the entire playbook when Strev came in, why didnt he do that for Zach?

Yes, Zach sucks, but Lafleur clearly hasn't built an offense that the kid was comfortable in that played to the few strengths he seemed to have. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone who is holding out Zach Wilson related hope at this point is on an island of delusion. He's toast. He's god awful, nobody likes him, nobody respects him. Literally guys off the street are more competent playing the QB position.

JD fell in love with traits and potential and whiffed. It happens. This is a playoff caliber team outside of the QB position -- the question now is what do we do to address QB in the offseason.