Our OL Pay for Performance is crippling the Jets..

We all know every team has a finite cap and must spend that cap wisely.   Simplifying a bit, teams that have more players outperform their contracts will win more.  Obviously, where you outperform (QB vs Punter), staying healthy, and minimizing dead cap space are other important factors.  The Jets have historically been crushed by poor QB play and injuries to some of its best players.

The 2023 draft will give the Jets a chance to be competitive for the next several years because they will have Pro Bowl to All Pro studs like Sauce, G Wilson, and Breece Hall significantly outperform their contracts.  JJ has been coming on very strong the past couple of weeks and Clemons & Mitchell have starting potential on 4th round contracts.  A great foundation for success that also includes 2022 draftees AVT & Michael Carter II and undrafted  Bryce Huff and Bam Knight.

Great news there but here’s the bad and a blind spot no more.  JD is significantly overpaying OL in Free Agency and it’s dragging down our potential for success in more ways than just absolute performance.

Laken Tomlinson is the 3rd highest paid Left Guard and we signed him when we already had AVT there.

George Fant is the 8th highest paid Right Tackle.

Connor  McGovern is the 9th highest paid Center.

None of the 3 are performing anywhere near their respective pay levels and 3 highly paid under performers on what needs to be a cohesive unit is crushing the Jets.

Yes, this unit and the QB position are the biggest priorities heading into 2023 and in my opinion we need to start the rebuild with a Center who makes others around him better including our blitz and stunt pickups where we saw Michael Carter late picking up Milano before White’s rib injury effectively ended our year.

Thoughts???

• More Ugh 1

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

See related thread. Lots of thoughts there

Do the stats change you opinion any?

I actually like your suggestion to go Center in round 2 because it might be the most cost effective way to get a quality Center (possibly a top 2 Center in the draft).

Left guard tends to pay more than right guard.  Do you move AVT back there?

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Do the stats change you opinion any?

I actually like your suggestion to go Center in round 2 because it might be the most cost effective way to get a quality Center (possibly a top 2 Center in the draft).

Left guard tends to pay more than right guard.  Do you move AVT back there?

If Becton is healthy, I think AVT will be lined up next to him with the idea that they will make a formidable run blocking tandem. I imagine that will be on the right side.

• Sympathy 1