Glazer: Jets expected to move on from Zach Wilson after the season

T0mShane

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s no coincidence that we’re hearing Bart Scott, Steve Young, Tiki Barber, Warner, etc run with “the Jets failed Zach Wilson” angle. It’s the narrative that both Zach and the Jets want out there. 

It was the same thing with darnold except the jets did fail him (even though he’s bad).  

It’s the only thing the qb’s side has left when you play this bad.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Source? What source can possibly know what JD is gonna do 3 months from now? Jd doesn't even know yet. It's not possible. 

He's making an educated guess and passing it off as an inside scoop. Just pathetic.

You don't think the Jets have made up their mind yet on Wilson? Of course they have, especially after last game. He embarrassed the franchise and looked like he didn't give a sh*t while doing it. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

That too but I mean the locker room schism must be (even) worse than reported. For this to leak out with games left to play…

I guess. It was all pretty clear on Thursday night. The defense looked defeated. The whole team felt hopeless with him out there. 
You can’t put your guys through that again.  It’s over. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

It was the same thing with darnold except the jets did fail him (even though he’s bad).  

Interesting…Read what Panther fans are saying about Darnold…

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/topic/181448-darnold-props/

Good for him…

Now can we het Gardner Minshew???

We are Jets fans it is time for us to have nice things! :)  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

If they go get someone like Rodgers I still think they should keep Wilson. As a matter of fact Rodgers could probably save Wilson and possibly that idiot MLF at the same time. Brady could do the same thing but he would never play for a dope like MLF.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No one can save Wilson.

Also, and I’ve watched football a long time now, I just can’t recall a team, at any level, basically ostracizing their QB to the level they have Wilson, it’s almost as though there is an actual hatred in place now.

Those “Mike White” t shirts, although I understand the team’s high level of frustration at the time, were just not cool (everyone should have been told “keep it to yourself”) that probably was the final straw in burying whatever confidence Wilson had left.

Bottom line, end of Year 2, can’t read an NFL D At All, At All, horrifically inaccurate, just replaced by a 4th stringer.  Lowest rated QB in the league 2 years running.  There is zip to salvage.  One of the most colossal busts of all time.

S**ks, it’s so incredibly difficult to hit on one of these young QBs, and even if you think you have, many times you don’t, the guy just rolls over ie Kyler Murray in AZ, after they caved and gave him his monster contract.

Then again, I’d rather be in this situation where you just cut the cord quickly with someone like Wilson rather then be strung along like NE will be because they drafted Mac Jones, who will Never take you on a long playoff run.  In that respect Wilson was worth rolling the dice with…Highest ceiling vs Highest bust potential….we now have our answer.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Lots of takes here.  Here is mine.

1. Zach has stunk

2. His confidence is shot

3. He has lost the locker room

4. He has lost the fans and will be booed mercilessly any time he grounds a ball or misfires to an open receiver

5. The Jets are ready to win now

6. Zach’s mental blocks will require a lot of intense therapy, possible medication to give him any chance of turning this around

7. He’s better suited for a small market with less expectations and pressure 

8. It’s easy to blame the Jets but shortsighted.  Odd though that he was significantly better in his first game than last.  Fodder for those looking to blame

9. In retrospect he should have sat & learned 

10. It’s in everyone’s interests to move on

Lessons learned for Jets:

1. Run psychological testing that might have shown the risk of not being able to handle the pressure 

2. Draft high floor, high potential QBs, not boom or bust

3. Caution on small schools / weaker conferences unless willing to sit the QB for at least a year

The jets have bent over backwards to deal with the mental elements of Wilson’s failures.  At a certain point you just can’t invest the time and resources in him, we saw how happy everyone was when they benched him.  The team wants an adult at qb. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Obviously, we have no idea what’s going to happen, but this is a good post.

I never thought of this in the way you just laid it out, and yeah… it makes sense.

Ok thanks.

Anyway, it shouldn’t even be that tough to drill into the Johnson Bros…..”Look, we all know Wilson was a disaster, but Douglas just had a monster 2022 draft haul.  The D should get more “special” next year.  If your team can put up on average just 20+ points a game with this D, the Jets Will win lots of games.  You can get that from Derek Carr…..Pay him.”

Hoping to strike playoff gold with someone like Minshaw is just too much of a gamble.

39 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I guess. It was all pretty clear on Thursday night. The defense looked defeated. The whole team felt hopeless with him out there. 
You can’t put your guys through that again.  It’s over. 

I agree but it has to be more than just a “no” in a post game when asked if the offense let the defense down…

He must be epically unlikeable in the day-to-day or lost his cool and said something you can’t come back from…

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

I don’t think the Jets move in from Zach after 23 games. He looks horrible but it can be fixed.  

Jets really have no choice but to move on from Zach. He’s freaking shell shocked. Will be lucky to get a pastrami sandwich from Katz’s for him at this point 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Jets really have no choice but to move on from Zach. He’s freaking shell shocked. Will be lucky to get a pastrami sandwich from Katz’s for him at this point 

Pastrami at Katz for Zach Wilson? Are you nuts? They cost $28 the last time I was there a few years back. Talk about a lopsided steal.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

I agree but it has to be more than just a “no” in a post game when asked if the offense let the defense down…

He must be epically unlikeable in the day-to-day or lost his cool and said something you can’t come back from…

Hmmm how many Jets WR's have said there are things that have been going on in the locker room that fans have no awareness of.

• Post of the Week 2

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Pretty sure the feeling is mutual.  More confident today than I was all week that they may look to move him.

Mommy wants him closer to home where toxic NFL fans cant get under his skin.  Next stop - Calgary Stampeders in the CFL.  He might be a good fit out there in CFL where he can run around outside the pocket for 10 seconds and then throw.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Mommy wants him closer to home where toxic NFL fans cant get under his skin.  Next stop - Calgary Stampeders in the CFL.  He might be a good fit out there in CFL where he can run around outside the pocket for 10 seconds and then throw.

Wider field — roll out king can really shine especially when starting from left hash mark!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What do you mean by this?  That JD was trying to convince Zach (and his family) that he should agree to play in NY (rather than hold out or demand a trade)?

Who knows what may have happened if they flat-out told Douglas that Zach didn’t want to play for the Jets. Maybe they take the Niners deal that Miami got for #3? But Young made it seem like Douglas had reassured the Wilson he’d be ok, etc. i’ll see if I can find the clip.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Saleh seems to have improved the process with this latest free agency class and draft, but good grief the level of deflection for Douglas by the fanbase is nuts. This is entirely on him. Becton too. Just not prepared to be in the NFL and the Jets draft process couldn’t pick up on it. How would anyone feel comfortable with him picking another quarterback? Saleh is a defensive coach,m and Lefleur is still young as hell.

If/when they dump Zach, the microscope get immediately turned onto both Douglas and Saleh. I don’t blame him for taking a shot on Zach, because he was going to be their best shot at a QB in the next two or three drafts, so it was probably worth the gamble

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets have bent over backwards to deal with the mental elements of Wilson’s failures.  At a certain point you just can’t invest the time and resources in him, we saw how happy everyone was when they benched him.  The team wants an adult at qb. 

When Zach told the team he was going to miss the first month of the season they played Flacco to keep him happy. Until someone noticed it he was watching games from the booth away from the team as well. Whole situation has been strange. I am sure there’s stuff we don’t know about behind the scenes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

His representation still has a job to do. You are right what else can they possibly say?