Glazer: Jets expected to move on from Zach Wilson after the season

T0mShane

40 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Yep 100%.  With the picks and money they have, they'll get play makers around him and he's shown he knows how to distribute the ball.  As I mentioned earlier, he started off slow as the new staff was trying to find their way, those first 4 games were ugly.  He's balled out since.  

32 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Numbers and scheme arguments aside--

CHI (as a result of changing regimes) expunged the roster, gathered picks and salary capital for 2023... basically put Justin Fields in a sink or swim situation; "Show us you're the guy.."... He's has won over the brass, the fans and the lockerroom -- all with a walmart team. 

Zach Wilson on the other hand was given ALL of the running backs, receivers, TEs, and a stout defense to put him in a position to be successful...  The difference is ZW won no one over, deteriorated, and didn't display the grit of a leader. 

This narrative of blaming the jets and MLF for Zach's struggles is a fcking joke IMO. 

Odd we’re all on the same page.

We need to get conversation rolling on the draft forum again. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

I think Douglas was set on Wilson by January of 2021. All he was waiting on were Wilson's hand span and weight measurables, which checked out at the pro day. 

On the pro day, Philadelphia initially rang about potentially trading up to 3 for Wilson, but Douglas told them he wouldn't be available. Then San Francisco made their move. As long as I live, I will never understand the rationale or the timing between the 49ers trade. I doubt there was ever a consensus between Lynch and Shanahan on who they wanted, when they made the move. 

Douglas was true to himself, if nothing else, although I doubt that's much consolation now. The guy he loved was available when we picked and he didn't get cute. It just turned out to be a colossal swing and a miss. 

San Francisco can quickly recover from their draft miscues, because they have elite coaching across the board. We don't have that luxury. This mistake will hold us back from being a serious AFC contender for at least the next 3-4 years. 

WHAT???

San fran can recover? Yes they are a supremely talented team. But they traded 3 firsts to move up and trade for a guy who had 8 starts at a d2 school. 

You don't just easily recover from that if you're wrong, no matter how good the team is. Lance BETTER be a stud.

We, on the other hand, only lose 1 first and have a clear answer about the qb we drafted without having to waste any further time. Unfortunate zach stinks, but it's not the end of the world as we still have assets to pivot.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I blame JD. It was his call and he has the final say so. I wanted Fields. It was the safer, smarter move.  Fields was more experienced, played more important games, has a better skill set and is bigger, faster and stronger. Dumb dumb and dumber.  @kevinc855 needs to go back to heckle JD wearing a Justin Fields jersey, "Hey JD you just made one of the biggest draft mistakes in history. Thanks for setting us back 5 years.  Ohhh and Justin sends his regards and wishes you Happy Holidays you pretzel eating machine!" 

I'd get a tattoo of @kevinc855  on my back if he did that and got it on camera. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

And because he had very real flaws as a passer which have translated to the NFL. 

Until he shows more consistency passing the ball I'm not sure he's the guy we should be dwelling on. For all his exciting plays it feels like his limitations could end up leaving you in QB limbo as much as anything else. 

His running has been exceptional, way beyond anything I imagined and to be honest better than I see anyone predicting pre-draft. Not sure that wins you Superbowls. 

Why do people pretend fields is good?  The bears are 3-12 and he is a big reason why

• Upvote 1

And because he had very real flaws as a passer which have translated to the NFL. 

Until he shows more consistency passing the ball I'm not sure he's the guy we should be dwelling on. For all his exciting plays it feels like his limitations could end up leaving you in QB limbo as much as anything else. 

His running has been exceptional, way beyond anything I imagined and to be honest better than I see anyone predicting pre-draft. Not sure that wins you Superbowls. 

I personally don't get it either. If you're crying over Fields and his running ability, you should be mad we didn't draft Lance cause he's a better runner then Fields is. But it seems everyone's writing off Lance already.

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The whole situation was bizarre. It's been pretty obvious since that they didn't trade up with Lance in mind, there were reports that it was going to be Jones which seems laughable at #3. It was a badly kept secret that they loved Wilson. 

I really wonder if Wilson's camp may have indicated something to them, maybe that he'd do an Eli Manning with the Jets and refuse to play. The Jets may have talked him out of that.

All of it's depressing. I'm obviously not as enamoured with Fields but him, Jones, Lance - None could have been worse. The all-pro group of players taken after, the potential haul we could have gotten from San Fran. What a f*cking waste. 

There has been smoke regarding Wilson's team since Walter Football reported a story about them in December 2020. 

Yeah I'm sure everyone who watched college football seen Justin Fields becoming a pure run/option guy who is inexplicably averaging over 2 yards more per carry against NFL defenders than he was ever averaging in college. As a passer he's been garbage. 

Find me one draft profile that compared Justin Fields to Michael Vick and I'll hold my hands up and apologise to Jif and Paradis right now. 

As weird as it sounds, I think Fields (for a long time) tried to avoid running because he didn't want to be looked at as a "running QB', he wanted to be known as a pocket passer. Ohio State rarely ran designed runs for him and once the Bears started designing runs for him, he took off. He never ran like this at Ohio State.  

2 hours ago, derp said:

I’d take whatever 62% completion, 7.5 YPA, 15 TD’s, 10 INT’s with the Bears’ supporting cast on offense translates to with the Jets’ supporting cast on offense. Add in the running…

I also think the running lets teams buy time in development of a passer since they can remain competitive on offense with that easy way to move the chains.

@JiFields @Irish Jet

I know Fields didn't have a good day today against the Bills, but the video isn't up yet on Youtube. This is last week against the Eagles (best team in the league record wise). You wouldn't take a performance like this?

Jets are a playoff team this year with this level of QB play and, for the next 2 games, that's what matters most. 

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Pastrami at Katz for Zach Wilson? Are you nuts? They cost $28 the last time I was there a few years back. Talk about a lopsided steal.

Not asking for pickles or potato pancakes just the sandwich for Zach although how JD fleeced other teams that traded with him he might get  the pickles, latkes plus Cole slaw 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Wit said:

This is pretty bad. JD probably should lose his job for not sticking with Darnold and trading the pick, but he continues to get better at drafting each year. Zach was so bad that the coaching staff probably stays intact. If they miss the playoffs next year Woody will clean house. 

Anyone see the production line for Darnold today?  See the highlights? With a decent OL he looked like an established, good QB.  If the NYJ had the guy that showed up today for the CP, with that OL giving him time, the NYJ would be 10-5 at worst. 

Not saying ZW is good, but a lot of the time he is running for his life back there. Yes he misreads defenses, misses wide-open players, etc.

No idea what the NYJ saw in him with so little play in college against genuinely elite programs.  I think its pretty clear he has played his last game as a Jet.  The 35 year search for a good QB continues...

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Saleh seems to have improved the process with this latest free agency class and draft, but good grief the level of deflection for Douglas by the fanbase is nuts. This is entirely on him. Becton too. Just not prepared to be in the NFL and the Jets draft process couldn’t pick up on it. How would anyone feel comfortable with him picking another quarterback? Saleh is a defensive coach,m and Lefleur is still young as hell.

They would have been better off keeping Darnold and using that #2 pick elsewhere. Big swing and miss for Douglas.

They aren't drafting the next QB though, it will be a free agent vet signing.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

@JiFields @Irish Jet

I know Fields didn't have a good day today against the Bills, but the video isn't up yet on Youtube. This is last week against the Eagles (best team in the league record wise). You wouldn't take a performance like this?

Jets are a playoff team this year with this level of QB play and, for the next 2 games, that's what matters most. 

91 net passing yards.

You don’t win playoff games like that.

14 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

2 years left on his contract. You dont cut him and take that kind of loss financially.

i never understood this. these owners are worth billions. what could we own Zach with 2 years left? after what we seen this year and on Thursday i cant imagine him saying we have to keep him cause of money.

he is guaranteed 9.4 million over the next 2 years. how many HCs and GMs has woody fired and made close to 4 mil a year that he paid them to sit home? 

now dead money is beyond me. i dont understand that stuff. but if we keep him on the PS all year isn't that like dead money anyway cause hes not doing anything to help us? 

i think if he is still here its not because Woody doesnt want to pay him 4,7 mil a year to play somewhere else, its that someone thinks they can fix him or JD is hoping he could wait and get a better trade for him.

50 minutes ago, doitny said:

i never understood this. these owners are worth billions. what could we own Zach with 2 years left? after what we seen this year and on Thursday i cant imagine him saying we have to keep him cause of money.

he is guaranteed 9.4 million over the next 2 years. how many HCs and GMs has woody fired and made close to 4 mil a year that he paid them to sit home? 

now dead money is beyond me. i dont understand that stuff. but if we keep him on the PS all year isn't that like dead money anyway cause hes not doing anything to help us? 

i think if he is still here its not because Woody doesnt want to pay him 4,7 mil a year to play somewhere else, its that someone thinks they can fix him or JD is hoping he could wait and get a better trade for him.

Also not a cap expert but if you PS him it’s true he won’t be helping the team but then all his pro rated signing bonus and remaining guaranteed money also doesn’t immediately hit the cap like it would if you cut him. Basically, PS is an option to spread that hit over the remaining years rather than eating it all at once. You also may get lucky that someone takes him off your hands. This is of course only a play if you can’t get anything in return or JD isn’t willing to give up draft value just to move him (like giving up a 5th and Zach for a 7th, for example. Similar to the Brock Osweiler thing a few years ago).

• Upvote 1