Glazer: Jets expected to move on from Zach Wilson after the season

T0mShane

I've been sleeping on this all night and woke up with sugar plums dancing in my head... lol

On one hand it's stupid to get rid of ZW because he's on a rookie deal, but I don't see him playing next year, so on the other hand why keep him if you're going to sit him the entire season. There is no way you play him at all next year unless you lose both your starter and backup. That said, I still believe that if you sit him next year to learn, you'd have to at least be willing to let him compete in 2024.

There could be some validity to this story, cause either way Zach shouldn't be playing for us next year. I think Zach wants our of here probably as much as we want him out of here. Wouldn't it be icing on the cake if we see him flourish somewhere else and there might be an OC out there that thinks they can fix him and actually does. Look at the Giants and Daboll what he's done with Josh Allen, and now Jones... While Jones is not on level with Allen, he's actually made a respectable QB out of Jones... 2nd example, look at Geno in Sea... Lastly, look at Sam in Carolina. Be careful what we wish for JN, because it always seems to come back to bite us... It's that kind of franchise.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Id keep zach as the 3rd string and develop him next year.  Unless there are things going on behind the scenes that i dont know about.

But if its only on the field stuff, he stays.  Let him sit for a year and develop him.

I don't know how that would work with the salary cap but if we could bury ZW as the #3 and have expectations drop to 0 for him, that would probably be for the best.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I just don’t get why this info would be put out by the team this early? It will only lower trade value if other teams know the jets want to trade Zach instead of saying they’ll keep him 

It makes no difference. It’s obvious to the whole country; no matter what BS narrative they try to put out there that the Jets still see him as their future QB, as soon as JD even take the call they know it’s nonsense. No one even takes a call on a young QB they actually still want.

19 hours ago, ZachStepdad said:

Jordan Love I’m starting to like more and more …. NFL experience, sat behind Rodgers , same type of offense, athletic , quick reads like mike white

My concern, then, is that GB willing to make that swap after seeing Love up close for a few years.

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Probably, but we're not going to get much.  Possibly some kind of conditional draft pick type thing.  

“The Jets handled him all wrong & NY’s raw/young coaching, fans, media, roster, etc. is collectively an impatient cesspool,” will be bought by at least one team.

17 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I guess. It was all pretty clear on Thursday night. The defense looked defeated. The whole team felt hopeless with him out there. 
You can’t put your guys through that again.  It’s over. 

This.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Also not a cap expert but if you PS him it’s true he won’t be helping the team but then all his pro rated signing bonus and remaining guaranteed money also doesn’t immediately hit the cap like it would if you cut him. Basically, PS is an option to spread that hit over the remaining years rather than eating it all at once. You also may get lucky that someone takes him off your hands. This is of course only a play if you can’t get anything in return or JD isn’t willing to give up draft value just to move him (like giving up a 5th and Zach for a 7th, for example. Similar to the Brock Osweiler thing a few years ago).

It makes no difference spreading it out, as much as it looks nicer/cleaner on paper at a glance:

Wilson has another $5.5MM that accelerates to 2023 if traded early in the offseason.

OK, well the other side of that coin is it clears $5.5MM from 2024’s cap. 

So just structure things to backload the new QB (or really, anyone else) to hit $5.5MM more in 2024 than he otherwise would have in 2023.

Comes to the same total in each year; whose name is attached to the line item doesn’t change the math. 

math-meme-math-is-math-meme.gif

Anyway don’t fret that the accelerated hit ties the team’s hands. The FO on every team - Jets included - is well aware of this. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It makes no difference. It’s obvious to the whole country; no matter what BS narrative they try to put out there that the Jets still see him as their future QB, as soon as JD even take the call they know it’s nonsense. No one even takes a call on a young QB they actually still want.

My concern, then, is that GB willing to make that swap after seeing Love up close for a few years.

“The Jets handled him all wrong & NY’s raw/young coaching, fans, media, roster, etc. is collectively an impatient cesspool,” will be bought by at least one team.

This.

It makes no difference spreading it out, as much as it looks nicer/cleaner on paper at a glance:

Wilson has another $5.5MM that accelerates to 2023 if traded early in the offseason.

OK, well the other side of that coin is it clears $5.5MM from 2024’s cap. 

So just structure things to backload the new QB (or really, anyone else) to hit $5.5MM more in 2024 than he otherwise would have in 2023.

Comes to the same total in each year; whose name is attached to the line item doesn’t change the math. 

math-meme-math-is-math-meme.gif

Anyway don’t fret that the accelerated hit ties the team’s hands. The FO on every team - Jets included - is well aware of this. 

Thanks again!

• Upvote 1

douglas will find a taker, he always does.  It will be far easier to trade wilson than someone like becton whose injury risk will scare off teams.  Jets will either get a conditional 2nd/3rd for wilson, or use him to move up rounds.  OL/pass rush will be emphasized in the draft and the jets will get someone like carr to compete with white.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t draft a qb this year and just went with strev as the 3rd guy.  

Music to my ears. Long overdue. We need to draft OT in the first round, draft QB Hendon Hooker from Tennessee in the 2nd round, and draft the best Center in the 3rd round.  Re=sign White and let him and Hooker compete for the starting job. With a better more healthy oline we should be fine.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

Music to my ears. Long overdue. We need to draft OT in the first round, draft QB Hendon Hooker from Tennessee in the 2nd round, and draft the best Center in the 3rd round.  Re=sign White and let him and Hooker compete for the starting job. With a better more healthy oline we should be fine.

Our QB room would be:

White, Hooker

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I really doubt douglas is going to burn a premium draft pick on a 25 yr old rookie with a torn acl who wouldn’t be competing to start this year.  Draft should be OL/pass rusher/secondary.  Bring in vet qb to compete with white, get guys like avt/breece back and move forward.  I can see them not drafting a qb this year, maybe in 2024.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Id keep zach as the 3rd string and develop him next year.  Unless there are things going on behind the scenes that i dont know about.

But if its only on the field stuff, he stays.  Let him sit for a year and develop him.

Why? What do you think he will be after doing that?

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

douglas will find a taker, he always does.  It will be far easier to trade wilson than someone like becton whose injury risk will scare off teams.  Jets will either get a conditional 2nd/3rd for wilson, or use him to move up rounds.  OL/pass rush will be emphasized in the draft and the jets will get someone like carr to compete with white.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t draft a qb this year and just went with strev as the 3rd guy.  

conditional 2nd or 3rd for Zach Wilson?

sigh-of-relief-omg.gif

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I really doubt douglas is going to burn a premium draft pick on a 25 yr old rookie with a torn acl who wouldn’t be competing to start this year.  Draft should be OL/pass rusher/secondary.  Bring in vet qb to compete with white, get guys like avt/breece back and move forward.  I can see them not drafting a qb this year, maybe in 2024.  

2nd round is worth a QB that led the highest scoring offense in the country from the SEC. Hooker led UT to victories over Alabama, LSU, Florida, Kentucky among others this season. Kids a winner and a very dangerous dual threat. You still bring in Minshew etc. to compete. White would be the starter regardless.

11 minutes ago, TNJet said:

2nd round is worth a QB that led the highest scoring offense in the country from the SEC. Hooker led UT to victories over Alabama, LSU, Florida, Kentucky among others this season. Kids a winner and a very dangerous dual threat. You still bring in Minshew etc. to compete. White would be the starter regardless.

He could wind up being good but the jets are considered a win now team with the non qb roster, and they’re not going to use a mid 2nd round pick on a qb recovering from an acl who is already 3 yrs older than he should be.  A veteran qb will be brought in to compete with white.  There is no burning need to draft a qb in 2023 if you bring in a vet, you can go with strev as the 3 and draft one the following year.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He could wind up being good but the jets are considered a win now team with the non qb roster, and they’re not going to use a mid 2nd round pick on a qb recovering from an acl who is already 3 yrs older than he should be.  A veteran qb will be brought in to compete with white.  There is no burning need to draft a qb in 2023 if you bring in a vet, you can go with strev as the 3 and draft one the following year.  

Haha sure, we will see. There is not a QB considered a starter on this roster save for MW and no one knows yet if can stay healthy. We have no choice but to draft competition and bring in a serviceable veteran. May not be Hooker but he is a bargain talent wise because of the injury.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Also not a cap expert but if you PS him it’s true he won’t be helping the team but then all his pro rated signing bonus and remaining guaranteed money also doesn’t immediately hit the cap like it would if you cut him. Basically, PS is an option to spread that hit over the remaining years rather than eating it all at once. You also may get lucky that someone takes him off your hands. This is of course only a play if you can’t get anything in return or JD isn’t willing to give up draft value just to move him (like giving up a 5th and Zach for a 7th, for example. Similar to the Brock Osweiler thing a few years ago).

i didnt know that about the PS spreading the cap hit. interesting is that if he gets picked up of the PS obviously we get nothing, the other team pays the remaining money on the contract which wont be much. im guessing we would take less of a cap hit for 2024.

now if JD doesnt get an offer he likes i cant see him putting him on the PS to lose him for nothing. but he cant make him the backup. carrying 3 QB is something we did for the 1st time in 2 years but its not something i think they want to do for a whole season. it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Just now, doitny said:

i didnt know that about the PS spreading the cap hit. interesting is that if he gets picked up of the PS obviously we get nothing, the other team pays the remaining money on the contract which wont be much. im guessing we would take less of a cap hit for 2024.

now if JD doesnt get an offer he likes i cant see him putting him on the PS to lose him for nothing. but he cant make him the backup. carrying 3 QB is something we did for the 1st time in 2 years but its not something i think they want to do for a whole season. it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It isn’t the PS itself it is being on the roster that avoids the acceleration 

• Upvote 1

Saw a sad reminder somewhere about what JD said post-draft about why they loved ZW.

Said they loved how, during their Zooms, ZW “was on the edge of his seat” and “sat up in his chair”

Reminds me of when the Jets drafted Stephen Hill because he wore a suit to his predraft 30 visit to Florham Park

They were bamboozled by a kid who looks 15 and a stupid hype machine driven by arrogant pricks like Simms and Orlovsky

You can’t make this up.  So embarrassing.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I've been sleeping on this all night and woke up with sugar plums dancing in my head... lol

On one hand it's stupid to get rid of ZW because he's on a rookie deal, but I don't see him playing next year, so on the other hand why keep him if you're going to sit him the entire season. There is no way you play him at all next year unless you lose both your starter and backup. That said, I still believe that if you sit him next year to learn, you'd have to at least be willing to let him compete in 2024.

There could be some validity to this story, cause either way Zach shouldn't be playing for us next year. I think Zach wants our of here probably as much as we want him out of here. Wouldn't it be icing on the cake if we see him flourish somewhere else and there might be an OC out there that thinks they can fix him and actually does. Look at the Giants and Daboll what he's done with Josh Allen, and now Jones... While Jones is not on level with Allen, he's actually made a respectable QB out of Jones... 2nd example, look at Geno in Sea... Lastly, look at Sam in Carolina. Be careful what we wish for JN, because it always seems to come back to bite us... It's that kind of franchise.

Send him packing.

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Saw a sad reminder somewhere about what JD said post-draft about why they loved ZW.

Said they loved how, during their Zooms, ZW “was on the edge of his seat” and “sat up in his chair”

Reminds me of when the Jets drafted Stephen Hill because he wore a suit to his predraft 30 visit to Florham Park

They were bamboozled by a kid who looks 15 and a stupid hype machine driven by arrogant pricks like Simms and Orlovsky

You can’t make this up.  So embarrassing.

Romo loved ZW too.  Sometimes these guys just don't work out.  I'm still glad JD tried to swing for the fences.  We're in a conference with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, and Trevor Lawrence.

• Upvote 2

So would a Zach/ Mike White combo in 2023 be the solution. With a third Qb in the mix. It hasn’t really worked that well in 2022 even though the 7 Ws esp before losing 4 in a row tops most preseason predictions. Only one has a contract with Jets for next year and does either of them want to return. 

4 hours ago, doitny said:

i never understood this. these owners are worth billions. what could we own Zach with 2 years left? after what we seen this year and on Thursday i cant imagine him saying we have to keep him cause of money.

he is guaranteed 9.4 million over the next 2 years. how many HCs and GMs has woody fired and made close to 4 mil a year that he paid them to sit home? 

now dead money is beyond me. i dont understand that stuff. but if we keep him on the PS all year isn't that like dead money anyway cause hes not doing anything to help us? 

i think if he is still here its not because Woody doesnt want to pay him 4,7 mil a year to play somewhere else, its that someone thinks they can fix him or JD is hoping he could wait and get a better trade for him.

Not just about what they lose paying him, its more about the hit the cap would take - about $20 million (not sure exactly)  I believe if he is cut on top of having to pay him the 2 years left on his contract. Its a huge amount of a hit to the cap that needs to be used for other positions.  Just keep him and inactivate his bum azz every game for the next 2 years. 

• Upvote 1