Glazer: Jets expected to move on from Zach Wilson after the season

T0mShane

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That is just pure conjecture.

Yep. Just the opinion of one NFL analyst. There is no inside info here.

With that said, it certainly makes sense for the Jets to move on from Zach. A stabilizing, competent veteran QB makes alot of sense for this team.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Mike White, solid vet FA competition/backup, plus a rookie drafted in the first three rounds.

Zach traded to the highest bidder, probably for considerably less than we got for Darnold.

This sounds terrible. Rolling with White plus someone about equal to him as the starter? Why be satisfied with a bottom 5 starter? 

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’ve been telling myself this since the Detroit game.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Why wouldn't this happen? Of course this was how it was going to go. From the day they drafted the guy it was inevitable.

Shocked by you two. You should have known better. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think you may need to give up picks to get rid of his contract.

A 5th and Wilson for a 7th or something.

This is why I see him remaining on the roster. Of course they could just take the cap hit to relieve themselves of the headache but it seems silly when you can just bury him at QB3 and try to teach him how to play football.

10 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

This sounds terrible. Rolling with White plus someone about equal to him as the starter? Why be satisfied with a bottom 5 starter? 

Can't see us landing a quality starter in FA. Lamar Jackson is a pipedream, and I am not excited about overpaying for Dan Jones or Jimmy G.

Give White another shot, add a solid vet - top quality backup, lower tier starter type - and draft a prospect you like, but don't force him into the lineup in year one.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is why I see him remaining on the roster. Of course they could just take the cap hit to relieve themselves of the headache but it seems silly when you can just bury him at QB3 and try to teach him how to play football.

This is logical for sure but I sense there's something else going on here. I think the coaching staff/locker room hate the guy.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Like I’ve said, anyone who thinks the Jets aren’t making a big move for a veteran QB is kidding themselves.

Douglas and Saleh are going to be fighting for their jobs next year.

If you think they’re banking on someone like Mike White or Gardner Minshew to get us over the hump, then you’re kidding yourselves.

It’s going to be someone like Brady, Rodgers or Carr.

Garoppolo is as conservative as it’s going to get.

Not some backup/fringe starter.

Agree.  They are going to have to bring in a real qb.  They are going to use all their picks stocking both lines.  If avt and breece return the team is primed for a playoff run.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sam was a considerably better prospect overall from a legitimate program in a big conference. He didn’t implode until his third season. 

Oh yeah for sure. Guy was great in year two. I especially loved the part of that season where he missed the first three weeks with mono before coming out and having the second worst game of any QB in the history of the organization.

• Haha 1

Well you don’t want a Qb who’s lost confidence in himself. Zach was ripped after the Patriots game for not admitting that he sucked. You hope a player is capable of turning things around after bad games. Imo not all his fault against the Jags running backs gained a total of 11 yards. When running game was effective he won 5 games. I want to see if he can turn it around. 

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Can't see us landing a quality starter in FA. Lamar Jackson is a pipedream, and I am not excited about overpaying for Dan Brown or Jimmy G.

Give White another shot, add a solid vet - top quality backup, lower tier starter type - and draft a prospect you like, but don't force him into the lineup in year one.

There’s a few at least average qbs who may be available and are far better than white. 

Carr, Rodgers, Goff, Jones, Lamar, Brady, probably others 

Among the middling Qbs there’s Minshew, Baker, Geno All of those are better than White, but I still wouldn’t be satisfied with locking those guys in as the day 1 starter 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Sam was a considerably better prospect overall from a legitimate program in a big conference. He didn’t implode until his third season. Zach Wilson has never been good, and he has a 60-grit personality besides. He’s been an albatross around Saleh’s neck and the Jets are likely much further ahead in their rebuild if they didn’t waste so much time trying to spoon-feed an emotionally feeble, spoiled mama’s boy from Utah. 

I thought we were discussing opportunity cost. Jets could have gotten Allen at 6.  Not to mention the stupidity of not having those #2s to build around Sam. Before you say everyone thought Allen sucked, the bills traded up to get him at 7  

Oh yeah and Maccagnan passed on the prior year’s class entirely because of Sams alpha male ness. That’s how you got Jamallpro. 
Maccagnan falling in love with Sam and passing on Mahomie then screwing up the tank and having to trade 3 picks to move 3 spots is far and away worse than blowing #2. 

I would argue missing on Mahomes and Allen and giving away three second round picks is worse than taking sack instead of Lance or Fields. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Another guy absolutely no idea that they’re set to move on today claiming they are moving on.  Cool

Schefter and Glazer are the two most plugged in insiders in football.

It’s best for both parties to move on and get a fresh start.

Zach has regressed to the point of performing at Luke Falk levels. Where the fanbase is booing his every incompletion and cheering their t!ts off when a 4th string CFL backup takes the field.

Get whatever you can for him and bring in a legitimate veteran to steer the ship.

• Upvote 4