Glazer: Jets expected to move on from Zach Wilson after the season

T0mShane

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

All it takes is one team to disagree with this viewpoint and a deal can be struck.

Never count out Joe Douglas when an opportunity comes to fleece somebody.  

This isn't very subjective though - This is the least accurate NFL QB in the past decade. There's not the excuses that were somewhat legitimate with Darnold - There's very few flashes - He's just terrible and it will be clear to everyone. It would be unforgivable for a GM to invest anything in him at this point. He's become such a public point of ridicule that it will put their job under pressure if it backfires, which it will. 

Even believing in Hackenberg was more reasonable than believing in Zach at this point. Some guys just don't have it and Zach has shown that and then some. It's over for him and I think the Jets end up cutting him and eating the salary. No use having him buried down the depth chart as a distraction. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Good memory. Team Wilson always had their hearts set on San Francisco. And in fairness, who wouldn't. 

Young would have been fairly active in steering Team Wilson towards San Francisco, but Douglas managed to do enough of a recruiting drive to convince everyone, that the Jets had adults in charge of developing QBs now. 

A big factor in that would have been the Jets appointment of Greg Knapp. Knapp was actually the QB coach in San Francisco in 1998 when Young had his career high numbers in touchdowns and total yards. Knapp lent a semblance of credibility to the Jets coaching staff. 

Young knew as early as the Falcons game last year that Zach was in trouble. He was having trouble with his footwork, but Knapp's unfortunate passing, exposed the Jets 'neophyte' (LeFleur) and 'the plan that was not in place'. 

Young could see all of this after 5 games. 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/10/14/steve-young-reminiscences-working-greg-knapp/

Screenshot_2022-12-24-23-22-06-709_com.android.chrome.jpg

The whole situation was bizarre. It's been pretty obvious since that they didn't trade up with Lance in mind, there were reports that it was going to be Jones which seems laughable at #3. It was a badly kept secret that they loved Wilson. 

I really wonder if Wilson's camp may have indicated something to them, maybe that he'd do an Eli Manning with the Jets and refuse to play. The Jets may have talked him out of that.

All of it's depressing. I'm obviously not as enamoured with Fields but him, Jones, Lance - None could have been worse. The all-pro group of players taken after, the potential haul we could have gotten from San Fran. What a f*cking waste. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think you may need to give up picks to get rid of his contract.

A 5th and Wilson for a 7th or something.

If the Jets trade him, they still eat about $11M in dead money, and I think can spread that over the next 2 years.  If they cut him, the have $20M in dead cap money.  

I think the Jets could trade him for perhaps a 6th round pick, straight up.  Not great, but I could see it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

It’s easily the worst draft pick in franchise history. And we have had many bad ones.

and this is my major problem with Douglas. Anyone who watched college football knew Justin fields was a better qb. Why the hell did Zach get picked #2 overall. He has so many issues coming out. And he just ignored all of them and bought into the hype 

I’m very pro-JD overall, but this post is spot on.  Just about everyone was saying at the time that Fields was the better choice.  It will be the eventual demise of JD if they don’t make playoffs next year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

EXACTLY..this is nothing more than speculation so later on he say say.

Told ya, Told ya....I said it first.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

I actually  wish it were true but I don't  see a reason to release Zach. He can be a backup. I actually think if he went in as the #2, it might help him develop. The Jets can bring in a starter or Start White. I think the only scenario that exist that they move on from Zach is if they trade up to get Levi's or Hooker. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

It’s easily the worst draft pick in franchise history. And we have had many bad ones.

and this is my major problem with Douglas. Anyone who watched college football knew Justin fields was a better qb. Why the hell did Zach get picked #2 overall. He has so many issues coming out. And he just ignored all of them and bought into the hype 

Yeah I'm sure everyone who watched college football seen Justin Fields becoming a pure run/option guy who is inexplicably averaging over 2 yards more per carry against NFL defenders than he was ever averaging in college. As a passer he's been garbage. 

Find me one draft profile that compared Justin Fields to Michael Vick and I'll hold my hands up and apologise to Jif and Paradis right now. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Yeah I'm sure everyone who watched college football seen Justin Fields becoming a pure run/option guy who is inexplicably averaging over 2 yards more per carry against NFL defenders than he was ever averaging in college. As a passer he's been garbage. 

Find me one draft profile that compared Justin Fields to Michael Vick and I'll hold my hands up and apologise to Jif and Paradis right now. 

They didn’t want fields b/c his skill set didn’t fit the system.  

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The whole situation was bizarre. It's been pretty obvious since that they didn't trade up with Lance in mind, there were reports that it was going to be Jones which seems laughable at #3. It was a badly kept secret that they loved Wilson. 

I really wonder if Wilson's camp may have indicated something to them, maybe that he'd do an Eli Manning with the Jets and refuse to play. The Jets may have talked him out of that.

All of it's depressing. I'm obviously not as enamoured with Fields but him, Jones, Lance - None could have been worse. The all-pro group of players taken after, the potential haul we could have gotten from San Fran. What a f*cking waste. 

I think Douglas was set on Wilson by January of 2021. All he was waiting on were Wilson's hand span and weight measurables, which checked out at the pro day. 

On the pro day, Philadelphia initially rang about potentially trading up to 3 for Wilson, but Douglas told them he wouldn't be available. Then San Francisco made their move. As long as I live, I will never understand the rationale or the timing between the 49ers trade. I doubt there was ever a consensus between Lynch and Shanahan on who they wanted, when they made the move. 

Douglas was true to himself, if nothing else, although I doubt that's much consolation now. The guy he loved was available when we picked and he didn't get cute. It just turned out to be a colossal swing and a miss. 

San Francisco can quickly recover from their draft miscues, because they have elite coaching across the board. We don't have that luxury. This mistake will hold us back from being a serious AFC contender for at least the next 3-4 years. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

They didn’t want fields b/c his skill set didn’t fit the system.  

And because he had very real flaws as a passer which have translated to the NFL. 

Until he shows more consistency passing the ball I'm not sure he's the guy we should be dwelling on. For all his exciting plays it feels like his limitations could end up leaving you in QB limbo as much as anything else. 

His running has been exceptional, way beyond anything I imagined and to be honest better than I see anyone predicting pre-draft. Not sure that wins you Superbowls. 

11 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I think Douglas was set on Wilson by January of 2021. All he was waiting on were Wilson's hand span and weight measurables, which checked out at the pro day. 

On the pro day, Philadelphia initially rang about potentially trading up to 3 for Wilson, but Douglas told them he wouldn't be available. Then San Francisco made their move. As long as I live, I will never understand the rationale or the timing between the 49ers trade. I doubt there was ever a consensus between Lynch and Shanahan on who they wanted, when they made the move. 

Douglas was true to himself, if nothing else, although I doubt that's much consolation now. The guy he loved was available when we picked and he didn't get cute. It just turned out to be a colossal swing and a miss. 

San Francisco can quickly recover from their draft miscues, because they have elite coaching across the board. We don't have that luxury. This mistake will hold us back from being a serious AFC contender for at least the next 3-4 years. 

The part of the story that most sticks with me is that both the Niners and Jets insist they never even talked to each other about a trade, which seems unlikely. 

13 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Off the charts embarrassing 

Never even considered any other options, including trading out for a boatload of draft capital 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The part of the story that most sticks with me is that both the Niners and Jets insist they never even talked to each other about a trade, which seems unlikely. 

The 49ers for whatever reason, were intent on trading up as high as they could. Douglas let them know in Provo during the pro day that he wasn't interested. They then rang Miami straight away. 

It's all a bit weird from the 49ers perspective. But a bit like the Rams, when you have elite coaching, you can be aggressive with your draft picks. 

And when you have Kyle Shanahan and Mick McDaniel (at the time), they felt extremely comfortable coaching up any one of Lance, Fields or Jones. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It would be worth it to pass on his contract to another team rather than taking on the full brunt of the dead cap hit we’d face by cutting him.

ANY return would be welcome.  

I'm not sure how the cap stuff works or what teams' cap situations are.  It's possible he's untradeable then.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Off the charts embarrassing 

Never even considered any other options, including trading out for a boatload of draft capital 

Not considering other options was obviously a mistake in hindsight. 

But no team in the League has had more draft capital recently than the Jets. We needed a QB. We still do. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

54 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

And because he had very real flaws as a passer which have translated to the NFL. 

Until he shows more consistency passing the ball I'm not sure he's the guy we should be dwelling on. For all his exciting plays it feels like his limitations could end up leaving you in QB limbo as much as anything else. 

His running has been exceptional, way beyond anything I imagined and to be honest better than I see anyone predicting pre-draft. Not sure that wins you Superbowls. 

I thought he'd be a Russell Wilson type w/ a little more true run ability vs. escapability.  What I loved about him was his timing, rhythm, anticipation, ball placement, long ball from the pocket, which is where you disagreed, wrongly but I digress.  That said, I dont understand the need to still deny his growth and be totally bullish for no reason on it.  He has steady improved as a passer as the season has progressed, really, he's been more than fine when you think about the situation, he just started slow.  He's on the worst team in the NFL and has the worst offense surrounding him in the NFL by far and yet, he's a stud.  He's literally, a one man show.  A player overcoming the environment.   His growth not just from year 1 to 2, is insane but his growth, this year, has been incredible.  You really think he's not going to get better?  lol  If the Bears play their cards right, they will take over the NFCN and it will be mainly because of Fields. 

• Upvote 3

I thought he'd be a Russell Wilson type w/ a little more true run ability vs. escapability.  What I loved about him was his timing, rhythm, anticipation, ball placement, long ball from the pocket, which is where you disagreed, wrongly but I digress.  That said, I dont understand the need to still deny his growth and be totally bullish for no reason on it.  He has steady improved as a passer as the season has progressed, really, he's been more than fine when you think about the situation, he just started slow.  He's on the worst team in the NFL and has the worst offense surrounding him in the NFL by far and yet, he's a stud.  He's literally, a one man show.  A player overcoming the environment.   His growth not just from year 1 to 2, is insane but his growth, this year, has been incredible.  You really think he's not going to get better?  lol  If the Bears play their cards right, they will take over the NFCN and it will be mainly because of Fields. 
Not as long as he's their leading rusher

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I’d take whatever 62% completion, 7.5 YPA, 15 TD’s, 10 INT’s with the Bears’ supporting cast on offense translates to with the Jets’ supporting cast on offense. Add in the running…

I also think the running lets teams buy time in development of a passer since they can remain competitive on offense with that easy way to move the chains.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, derp said:

I’d take whatever 62% completion, 7.5 YPA, 15 TD’s, 10 INT’s with the Bears’ supporting cast on offense translates to with the Jets’ supporting cast on offense. Add in the running…

I also think the running lets teams buy time in development of a passer since they can remain competitive on offense with that easy way to move the chains.

Yep 100%.  With the picks and money they have, they'll get play makers around him and he's shown he knows how to distribute the ball.  As I mentioned earlier, he started off slow as the new staff was trying to find their way, those first 4 games were ugly.  He's balled out since.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, CSNY said:

Jets really have no choice but to move on from Zach. He’s freaking shell shocked. Will be lucky to get a pastrami sandwich from Katz’s for him at this point 

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Pastrami at Katz for Zach Wilson? Are you nuts? They cost $28 the last time I was there a few years back. Talk about a lopsided steal.

How about a soup and a half sandwich?

• Haha 1