hey everyone, hear me out. Should we sign Baker?

pointman

Stop being so reactionary to week to week performances.  Mayfield is a tragedy.  He'll suck you in a game or 2, think he has hope and then he'll go out and single handedly lose you multiple games.  He's a turnover machine and total liability at the position.  The guy couldnt perform w/ arguably the best running game in the NFL, and a loaded position group. He ruined, OBJ.  Cooper, Njoku and DPJ just had careers years w/ Jacoby Brissett. The Panthers have gotten significantly better on offense w/ Sam Darnold under center vs. Baker Mayfield.  

The Broncos were about to kill each other on the sideline.  They've packed it in.  Did you watch the game?  Cam Akers ran hog wild, it was the easiest ask of a QB all year.  Hell, Zach may have been able to give you that performance.....ok....maybe that's too far, but Mike White sure AF could have, no doubt about it.

So, that's a hard, emphatic, **** no to Baker Mayfield.  

Starting to come to the realization that most QBs are system QBs. Maybe 2 or 3 can transcend their ideal system.

The problem is coaches/scouts won’t truly know fits until they’re in the building. They thought Zach was a fit. Nope.

Mike White is a fit. We have to decide who can potentially be a great fit in ML’s offense between Minshew, Carr, Baker, Darnold, Jimmy and Geno. Jimmy fits but he is injury prone. We don’t have direct evidence for Minshew, Darnold and Geno.

It comes down to Carr and Baker I think. Baker has had success in two WCO offenses now. Carr had success with Gruden. I now expect Carr to get cut.

Should we sign Baker? Today, I will say yes. Sign both Mike White and Baker to similar 1 year incentive based contracts where they get more money for each start they make.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

I think Denver may be the only competition for a a QB if they decide to move on from their Wilson as well.  I actually think that's were Zach ends up going to restart his career and think that would be a decent fit for him.

I don’t think Denver can move on from Russell Wilson any time soon. Don’t know his contract specifics but he just signed a massive deal. There is no way they can get out of it that quickly. Denver is going to have to make some big changes next year and try to put an offense together that better suits what he can and can’t do.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Mcvay runs a variation of the shannahan offense and while we cannot discount what Mcvay brings to the table on his own, it is interesting to see baker play well in Mcvays system. I don’t know if you can remove the bust label from baker yet but the rams last two games could do a lot for bakers stock heading into next season. 

Interesting, when I watch the Rams, it seems his system is more rooted in the Gruden's playbook.  Damn near identical to those Raiders/Bucs teams back in the day where you just needed a game manager; Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon.  John gave him his first shot, he called played under Jay and is currently an offensive consultant for the Rams.  Similar but much more power Football, heavy sets, play actions stuff, etc. incorporated into some west coast looks.

• Upvote 2

Baker has a 69% 4-1 Td-int with the Rams. 57% 6-6 td-int. looks like if you put some talent around him he can play.

i would like better but im not sure where you get that. i dont see JD trading the house to get Carr. Jimmy G is injury prone. Minchew is good but there is no guarantee he comes here.

Zach will affect their decisions to come here. players know you're looking for an excuse to play him again. its like agreeing to work at a position where the boss had to give his son a time out. you know he wants to put him back in and your on a short leash. its not a fair situation.

if i were their agent i would tell them not to come here as long as Zach is here. its hasn't be a fair competition for 2 years why should they expect it will be this time. 

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

It would be hard to see the Rams letting him walk at this point. 

Rams just signed Stafford to a hefty extension this year. They can’t unload him for less than an $18.5M post-June 1 cap hit, leaving them still with $55.5M in dead money. They’re in a tough position if he doesn’t get healthy, but it seems unlikely that they’d be able to sign Mayfield, too. He’ll be one of the hotter FA QBs on the market if he can keep up his play another couple weeks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

Because he sucks?

Hey bro, I know your schtick is that of some over the top wannabe know-it-all tough guy,  but please keep in mind that the topic at hand is dog sh*t QBs to lead our team next year. We're all on the same page here, Biff. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, shawn306 said:

You would have a better shot of making a deal for Stanford then getting Mayfield. 

Mayfield will be the Rams QB from here on out.

Well I checked Stanford’s contract and he has a 160M ext. thru 2026. At that amount you cannot also sign Mayfield, and that contract Stanford has will prevent any team from trading for him. Mayfield will leave via FA.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Baker Mayfield did play QB for the Browns and got them their first playoff win in 26 years.  That part is impressive.  

He was having issues before he got traded and didn’t impress me much with the Panthers so that part is concerning.  

The Jets have a team that can win for the next 5-6 years and if you can get him signed to a somewhat cheaper deal it could work out.  

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sorry buddy.  I’m just a guy who believes in Mike White.

I do too, 80. I’d like to see him get a real opportunity at the starting job also.

In a perfect world, they’d be a 1-2 combination. If they don’t bring back MW though, Baker is probably our best alternative. If nothing else, things would be really interesting around here.

14 hours ago, jetsons said:

Baker Would Implode here

I feel the exact opposite way about this. He’s never “imploded” anywhere, and he’s been in some circus-like scenarios like Cleveland with their coaching merry go round, and Carolina at its worst.

I think he has a little Reggie Jackson in him. He’s the type who would thrive in NY.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

We have a great D - one of the league's best. We have a good offense, though the OL needs work.  We have good RBs and WRs, just need a QB, even a slightly better than average one, to get into the PO in AFC East.

Should we sign Baker as a FA and draft OLs to fill out the offense? I'd not thought much of Mayfield but he has looked decisive and capable on the Rams the few games he's played for them. Thoughts?

Only if we intend to run the Rams Offense. While McVay started as a WCO guy, he's evolved his O scheme beyond the WCO. Mayfield has said he feels comfortable in the Rams O and it shows. 

53 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There are a bunch of QB's I'd prefer over him.

You’re one of the smart ones, Barry, and I’m obviously biased toward Baker. I’m not trying to be a jerk here, when I ask you this, I’m just curious.… Name a few?

I totally understand wanting another guy, I just can’t think of anyone who checks every box like Baker does. He’s young, a FA, shown he can be a top 15 starter,big arm,  can handle the spotlight, and is a leader.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Interesting, when I watch the Rams, it seems his system is more rooted in the Gruden's playbook.  Damn near identical to those Raiders/Bucs teams back in the day where you just needed a game manager; Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon.  John gave him his first shot, he called played under Jay and is currently an offensive consultant for the Rams.  Similar but much more power Football, heavy sets, play actions stuff, etc. incorporated into some west coast looks.

I think you and I are simply on opposite ends of the spectrum with Mayfield, and have been from day one. (nothing wrong with that, he’s a polarizing guy.)

I remember you coming around (begrudgingly) when he became vocal about the “Me Too” movement, but that was short lived. I get he’s not your cup of tea, but I think if you sit back and look at the options available, if his name wasn’t Baker Mayfield you’d feel differently about a player of his ability coming here.

15 hours ago, pointman said:

So lets say it turns out that somehow Zach isn't it, Mike White is soooo good that he gets a $40m per contract from San Fran, they make they mistake of not retaining The Strev, and Flacco decides bingo is the game he prefers to play. Umm, what if the front office decides to right the wrong of the 2018 draft and are interested in Bakedog aka Baker Mayfield. Is he available? Asking for a friend. 

I think Baker would get chewed up and spit out by the locker room and NY fans...no thanks

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I think Denver may be the only competition for a a QB if they decide to move on from their Wilson as well.  I actually think that's were Zach ends up going to restart his career and think that would be a decent fit for him.

Not a chance they’re moving on from RW and getting buried in dead cap hell

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I think you and I are simply on opposite ends of the spectrum with Mayfield, and have been from day one. (nothing wrong with that, he’s a polarizing guy.)

I remember you coming around (begrudgingly) when he became vocal about the “Me Too” movement, but that was short lived. I get he’s not your cup of tea, but I think if you sit back and look at the options available, if his name wasn’t Baker Mayfield you’d feel differently about a player of his ability coming here.

I dont really care about his personality though, it's whatever, he's a punk on the field and I hate his antics but I will still give respect when it's due for stuff I respect off the field.  I think he's funny in his commercials, fwiw.

As for the topic, I care about the fact he's a massive liability and not a very good player and I think it would be a tragic mistake to sign him and pray he turns this around, despite the evidence that he cant and wont.  One meaningless game vs. a team who has literally quite on the season and are fighting each other on the sidelines, doesnt change that opinion for me at all.  I've seen more than enough to know what Baker Mayfield is and it's basically more of the same terribleness we see every week here for the past, idk know how long.  So that said, I dont really understand your last point, I dont think Baker Mayfield is good...so no, I wouldnt want a Baker Mayfield caliber player here, it has nothing to do w/ Baker the guy and everything to do with the Baker the QB.

I said it another thread, I view all these offseason options as the same dude w/ slight variations from one to the other but if we're taking one of these type of dudes ie; Baker, Dalton, Jimmy G., Minshew, whatever, they're all similar and far from saviors.  So if I had a choice, give me one that doesnt choke and straight hand games to the other team.

The Los Angeles Rams probably want to keep Mayfield, but I doubt that happens given their salary cap situation. Without a doubt Mayfield will/should be a quarterback this current Jets regime will pursue this coming off-season. There is no way the Jets are putting all their eggs in the Mike White basket next season...Zach Wilson will be traded by the Jets this off-season, and Joe Flacco is headed for a one-day contract to retire a Baltimore Raven. IF, and it's a big if, Mayfield is the 2023 Jets starting quarterback, I nominate @Green Ghost to be the next JetNation captain - there is nobody here who is a bigger Mayfield stan outside of @Villain_The Foe who's been banished to the JetNation upside down world.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JiFields said:

I dont really care about his personality though, it's whatever, he's a punk on the field and I hate his antics but I will still give respect when it's due for stuff I respect off the field.  I think he's funny in his commercials, fwiw.

As for the topic, I care about the fact he's a massive liability and not a very good player and I think it would be a tragic mistake to sign him and pray he turns this around, despite the evidence that he cant and wont.  One meaningless game vs. a team who has literally quite on the season and are fighting each other on the sidelines, doesnt change that opinion for me at all.  I've seen more than enough to know what Baker Mayfield is and it's basically more of the same terribleness we see every week here for the past, idk know how long.  So that said, I dont really understand your last point, I dont think Baker Mayfield is good...so no, I wouldnt want a Baker Mayfield caliber player here, it has nothing to do w/ Baker the guy and everything to do with the Baker the QB.

I said it another thread, I view all these offseason options as the same dude w/ slight variations from one to the other but if we're taking one of these type of dudes ie; Baker, Dalton, Jimmy G., Minshew, whatever, they're all similar and far from saviors.  So if I had a choice, give me one that doesnt choke and straight hand games to the other team.

Your opinion is valid, Baker has been all over the map in his pro career. Personally, I think you’re overly critical of him ability wise, but the personality thing is fair. He’s the type you either like, or want to see get his ass handed to him.

His career has been a roller coaster ride. About 6 HC’s, who knows how many OC’s. Rookie record for td passes, later brought the Browns to the playoffs,then  disappointing when paired with OBJ, inconsistent but injured last year, horrible with the Panthers, and now playing very well with the Rams.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Apparently Mike Macagnan had him rated as the No. 1 QB on our board.  Considering Mac drafted Q who's the best player on this team I would have to give him a shot.  

No dude, the Baker went #1 we took Darnold next. Q was a year later. 

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Los Angeles Rams probably want to keep Mayfield, but I doubt that happens given their salary cap situation. Without a doubt Mayfield will/should be a quarterback this current Jets regime will pursue this coming off-season. There is no way the Jets are putting all their eggs in the Mike White basket next season...Zach Wilson will be traded by the Jets this off-season, and Joe Flacco is headed for a one-day contract to retire a Baltimore Raven. IF, and it's a big if, Mayfield is the 2023 Jets starting quarterback, I nominate @Green Ghost to be the next JetNation captain - there is nobody here who is a bigger Mayfield stan outside of @Villain_The Foe who's been banished to the JetNation upside down world.

the walking dead twd spoilers GIF

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Didn’t him and OBJ and his dad get into something..not sure if I remembering that correctly 

OBJ’s dad complained on Twitter his son was getting the ball enough that season. (Probably speaking for his son) Baker never commented on it publicly.

By then the Browns organization had enough of Beckham’s antics, and the sent him on his way.

17 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Your opinion is valid, Baker has been all over the map in his pro career. Personally, I think you’re overly critical of him ability wise, but the personality thing is fair. He’s the type you either like, or want to see get his ass handed to him.

His career has been a roller coaster ride. About 6 HC’s, who knows how many OC’s. Rookie record for td passes, later brought the Browns to the playoffs,then  disappointing when paired with OBJ, inconsistent but injured last year, horrible with the Panthers, and now playing very well with the Rams.

Again, the personality doesnt bother me, it did when he was coming out and the Jets were considering using the 3rd overall pick on him because I think you need to take everything into consideration when drafting a QB.  Now?  He is who, he is and it doesnt bother me.  His play, bothers me, a lot.  And I'm not falling victim to a 1 game reaction.  I disagree he's been good w/ the Rams, he's been his usual sh*tty self.  While I was impressed with his drive vs. Vegas on a short week for the win, he also sucked for 58 minutes of that game.  He was atrocious, 2 weeks ago vs. GB and had a great game vs. a team that has literally, quit.  So, yeah, he's is who he is but that said, he just got there and he's got 2 game left vs. teams in the playoff hunt, so lets see if this level of play persists from that last game.  I'm confident, it wont.  He's still the guy who has thrown the most pics out of any QB over the last 5 years, 63.  And he's 4th in total turnovers w/ 76. 

lmfao, so yeah, as I said, hell no to Bakery Mayflower.