hey everyone, hear me out. Should we sign Baker?

pointman

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re one of the smart ones, Barry, and I’m obviously biased toward Baker. I’m not trying to be a jerk here, when I ask you this, I’m just curious.… Name a few?

I totally understand wanting another guy, I just can’t think of anyone who checks every box like Baker does. He’s young, a FA, shown he can be a top 15 starter,big arm,  can handle the spotlight, and is a leader.

This is a comment I made in another thread working off a list someone else provided. I would take Minshew over him too, but he wasn't on the list. Baker is an interesting QB with upside but his consistently has been pretty bad so far. I'd probably put Minshew around 5 or 6.

All things being equal, which they aren't, this would be my order of preference from the list you gave.

1. Derek Carr
  2. Aaron Rodgers
  3. Geno Smith
  4. Tom Brady
  5. Jared Goff
  6. Jacoby Brissett
  7. Daniel Jones
  8. Ryan Tannehill
  9. Jordan Love
  10. Sam Darnold
  11. Baker Mayfield
  12. Taylor Heineke
  13. Andy Dalton
  14. Matt Ryan
  15. Russell Wilson
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is a comment I made in another thread working off a list someone else provided. I would take Minshew over him too, but he wasn't on the list. Baker is an interesting QB with upside but his consistently has been pretty bad so far. I'd probably put Minshew around 5 or 6.

All things being equal, which they aren't, this would be my order of preference from the list you gave.

1. Derek Carr
  2. Aaron Rodgers
  3. Geno Smith
  4. Tom Brady
  5. Jared Goff
  6. Jacoby Brissett
  7. Daniel Jones
  8. Ryan Tannehill
  9. Jordan Love
  10. Sam Darnold
  11. Baker Mayfield
  12. Taylor Heineke
  13. Andy Dalton
  14. Matt Ryan
  15. Russell Wilson

I don’t see Carr,Rodgers, Brady, Goff, and Jones as realistic options cost wise especially.

If you prefer Brisset, Darnold, Tannehill and Love over Mayfield we’re pretty far apart in our evaluations. We’re just never going to agree on this one.

32 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t see Carr,Rodgers, Brady, Goff, and Jones as realistic options cost wise especially.

If you prefer Brisset, Darnold, Tannehill and Love over Mayfield we’re pretty far apart in our evaluations. We’re just never going to agree on this one.

I don't see a lot of separation from 7-11 on that list. All about the same level so far as I see it.

That anyone is even discussing Darnold shows how unbelievably bad ZW has been, as in probably the worst performance by an NFL QB I've ever seen in over 50 years of watching.

With Baker, who admittedly is not particularly talented, I am looking for the simple NON-awful play; no moronic INTs, don't miss the wide-open WRs, throw the ball away before getting sacked for a loss of 15, if the field is wide open in front of you and you need 3 yards for a 1st down - run for it then slide, etc.

Right now, the roster simply needs a decent QB manager, someone not to FU. It is not really a huge ask, and a QB who can be a Pennington right now for us would be mountains above ZW.

That we are still in the PO hunt with such incredibly atrocious QB play is just astounding to me - but proves also that if we just had an even mediocre QB, which Baker is at best - we'd be possibly at 10 or 11 wins this season with 2 more games left, sitting in a great PO position.

I mentioned him not because he is the next Dan Marino or Steve Young, but because our starting QB play has been so awful that even average is a huge leap forward. As for Brady, Rodgers and a few others people mentioned here - no thanks. 

To the poster who felt Baker w/n sign here because of having to compete with ZW, my suggestion is to trade ZW in the offseason for an OL or two, plus maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and hope he can find a groove somewhere else.  He is completely useless for the NYJ.

• More Ugh 1

3 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Hey bro, I know your schtick is that of some over the top wannabe know-it-all tough guy,  but please keep in mind that the topic at hand is dog sh*t QBs to lead our team next year. We're all on the same page here, Biff. 

Sorry I don’t want to sign a terrible 3rd stringer to be our QB.

There will be far superior options, McFly.

• More Ugh 1

11 hours ago, JiFields said:

Stop being so reactionary to week to week performances.  Mayfield is a tragedy.  He'll suck you in a game or 2, think he has hope and then he'll go out and single handedly lose you multiple games.  He's a turnover machine and total liability at the position.  The guy couldnt perform w/ arguably the best running game in the NFL, and a loaded position group. He ruined, OBJ.  Cooper, Njoku and DPJ just had careers years w/ Jacoby Brissett. The Panthers have gotten significantly better on offense w/ Sam Darnold under center vs. Baker Mayfield.  

The Broncos were about to kill each other on the sideline.  They've packed it in.  Did you watch the game?  Cam Akers ran hog wild, it was the easiest ask of a QB all year.  Hell, Zach may have been able to give you that performance.....ok....maybe that's too far, but Mike White sure AF could have, no doubt about it.

So, that's a hard, emphatic, **** no to Baker Mayfield.  

Baker beat a crappy broncos team with a coach who literally was out the door and on their 3rd string qb. It is impressive after all these years of Baker Mayfield being terrible garbage his fanboys are still convincing themselves he’s anything other than poor man’s Case Keenum

17 hours ago, jgb said:

Even an old dark sider like me has to agree. This is the best Jets team we have had in a long time. To win as many games we have with league-worst QB play is honestly incredible in today’s NFL.

2 QBs (MW can be 1 of these), 2 OL and probably a LB should be off season priorities. Jets have all their draft capital and I hope the draft breaks so that a finished product OL is there for us in the first. No high-ceiling projects this time. Get a corn fed boy from the Midwest that is already solid and can do the dirty work from Day 1. Anyone from Iowa (AKA OL-U) coming out?

Adding to this, think about what Garrett Wilson has done with Flacco - Wilson and very little White? Scary. 

Shut down corner in Sauce and a top 5 WR is what those two players alone will be next year.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Adding to this, think about what Garrett Wilson has done with Flacco - Wilson and very little White? Scary. 

Shut down corner in Sauce and a top 5 WR is what those two players alone will be next year.

Garrett looks like a player. I’d like a reliable possession/red zone target across from him next year. Dare I dream of Mike Evans if Bucs reset in the post-Brady era? It’s basically signing up for 2 years only; he’s cutable after that.

It all hinges on moving BYU’s contract. Even if JD has to Brock Osweiler him away.

• Upvote 1