Derek Carr - Opinions from Raider Nation

Green DNA

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets are going to have to pay someone. If you don’t like Carr for other reasons fine but “expensive” shouldn’t cross JD’s lips this off season.

I wasn’t necessarily saying not sign him because he’s expensive. I was saying he might be expensive so my thought was look to see what else is out there before you do. I’d personally trade everything and take a 2nd mortgage on my house to bring Rodgers in. If you gonna go, go big I think. Carr will most likely win more games  than anyone on the roster right now. Rodgers? If AVT, Breece and because yesterday was Christmas Becton comes back healthy ? Top 3 team in the league period! I turn 57 Saturday, times running out! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

I wasn’t necessarily saying not sign him because he’s expensive. I was saying he might be expensive so my thought was look to see what else is out there before you do. I’d personally trade everything and take a 2nd mortgage on my house to bring Rodgers in. If you gonna go, go big I think. Carr will most likely win more games  than anyone on the roster right now. Rodgers? If AVT, Breece and because yesterday was Christmas Becton comes back healthy ? Top 3 team in the league period! 

I really think we have to go for Brady or Rodgers.

• Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I wasn’t necessarily saying not sign him because he’s expensive. I was saying he might be expensive so my thought was look to see what else is out there before you do. I’d personally trade everything and take a 2nd mortgage on my house to bring Rodgers in. If you gonna go, go big I think. Carr will most likely win more games  than anyone on the roster right now. Rodgers? If AVT, Breece and because yesterday was Christmas Becton comes back healthy ? Top 3 team in the league period! I turn 57 Saturday, times running out! 

Ahhhh, gotcha. Hope you had a great Christmas brother!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

A combination of White and Minshew will be 10 million dollars cheaper than Carr. 

Add in a healthy Brown, AVT, Becton, BREECE HALL, and another first round receiver and it's enough to win the whole damn thing. 

White and Minshew are completely unproven. Carr has consistently been a top 15 qb. It’s not even close in my mind. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

A combination of White and Minshew will be 10 million dollars cheaper than Carr. 

Add in a healthy Brown, AVT, Becton, BREECE HALL, and another first round receiver and it's enough to win the whole damn thing. 

That's like shopping at TJ Maxx for a fur coat. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I really think we have to go for Brady or Rodgers.

Brady isn't ruining his God like status in NE to come play for the Jets and Rodgers has a 40 mil cap hit he will be on GB for another year....the Jets options will likely be Jimmy G, White, Minshew, and maybe Carr.

I don't understand the disrespect towards MFW.    Give him a full off-season with the 1's, improve the OL, add a threat at TE, and get Breece back and this is a 11-13 win team next year.   MFW is a lot like Kirk Cousins, he isn't going to carry the franchise but surround him with a team and he can win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Everyone seems to ignore the fact that the Jets run a particular system and unless the QB is suited for the system, he will not do well.  And the system is not in search of a high end talented QB to run it. The systems only requirements of a QB are quick decisions and short accurate passes.  That QB does not cost an arm and a leg. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Whoever our QB is next year, he's going to have to overcome Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, and Herbert just to get us to the Super Bowl.  And that doesn't even take into account all the other teams in our conference (e.g. Lamar, plus do we ever beat the Pats?)

That’s why we’re also gonna be putting more resources into the defense, no?  You can’t beat those teams in a shootout.  

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That’s why we’re also gonna be putting more resources into the defense, no?  You can’t beat those teams in a shootout.  

Lol - I don't think you can beat these teams on defense in the modern NFL (even though at least defense is finally relevant again).

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Lol - I don't think you can beat these teams on defense in the modern NFL (even though at least defense is finally relevant again).

Consistently?  Probably not.  But what option do you have but to try if you don’t have a top 5-ish QB?  

We at least know D can win you a playoff game or 2.  Just look at how much trouble the Niners have given Rodgers in the postseason.

21 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Whoever our QB is next year, he's going to have to overcome Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, and Herbert just to get us to the Super Bowl.  And that doesn't even take into account all the other teams in our conference (e.g. Lamar, plus do we ever beat the Pats?)

"well when you say it like that ... "

vV70d8.gif

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

I don't understand the disrespect towards MFW.    Give him a full off-season with the 1's, improve the OL, add a threat at TE, and get Breece back and this is a 11-13 win team next year.   MFW is a lot like Kirk Cousins, he isn't going to carry the franchise but surround him with a team and he can win. 

Scientific visualization of Mike White's NFL career so far ...

tumblr_mvrl2ylrk21rk0k2jo1_500.gif

Edited by Dunnie
  • Haha 1

Giving White the keys for at least a year seems too obvious IMO.  Especially if the best alternatives are guys like Carr and Rodgers.  Re-sign White, see what he can do with a full TC as the #1, with a revamped and healthy OL, with a healthy Breece back, and go from there.  If he proves he isn't the guy, look to draft one in '24.  That draft class is shaping up to be a pretty decent one from what I can see.  

2 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Giving White the keys for at least a year seems too obvious IMO.  Especially if the best alternatives are guys like Carr and Rodgers.  Re-sign White, see what he can do with a full TC as the #1, with a revamped and healthy OL, with a healthy Breece back, and go from there.  If he proves he isn't the guy, look to draft one in '24.  That draft class is shaping up to be a pretty decent one from what I can see.  

Yeah - I can see that ... Mike White as the starter leading into camp ... Competing Vet in the 2 slot and ZW buried at 3 hopefully developing.

ZW could experience breakthrough development away from scrutiny that way (as always should have been the case) , MW gets a chance at history, and the vet is security.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

They structured his contract to give LV an out at the end of this season with a 5 mil dead money hit.

If they don’t cut him, he’s locked in for big $ for a few more years. So I say it’s 50-50.

Devante Adams will be pissed since they’re best buds and he left Rodgers for this guy. Maybe LV will do a “Twofer” Carr & Adams for Zach & Moore plus a 2nd. ?

23 hours ago, jgb said:

Minshew Minshew, minshew, that’s what I want!

Exactly.  I dont see what people want out of this guy.  He just put up 350 yards vs a decent Dallas defense after not having played all season.

Personally I think he is a great fit for this offense and lockerroom.  I have no problem if we have MW and Minshew with Zach being inactive on game days or traded for a bag of balls.  Both MW and Minshew made $2.5 million this past year and even if MW leads us to the playoffs, likely wont be above $8 million per season.

I also completely disagree with the narrative that someone like Minshew wouldnt want to come here. This is an ascending team that was held back by a couple key injuries and horrendous QB play.  He could come to a great situation for a 27 year old QB with 3/4 years of being in an offense with AVT, Breece, GW, Moore, etc.

• Post of the Week 2

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Exactly.  I dont see what people want out of this guy.  He just put up 350 yards vs a decent Dallas defense after not having played all season.

Personally I think he is a great fit for this offense and lockerroom.  I have no problem if we have MW and Minshew with Zach being inactive on game days or traded for a bag of balls.  Both MW and Minshew made $2.5 million this past year and even if MW leads us to the playoffs, likely wont be above $8 million per season.

I also completely disagree with the narrative that someone like Minshew wouldnt want to come here. This is an ascending team that was held back by a couple key injuries and horrendous QB play.  He could come to a great situation for a 27 year old QB with 3/4 years of being in an offense with AVT, Breece, GW, Moore, etc.

Not-perfectism on display. For a franchise that has so often been on the side of “nothing,” it is an odd phenomenon that so many of us stick of an “all of nothing” philosophy. Personally I think people are afraid to get hyped on a guy only to see him go elsewhere, like usual. Better to poke holes now and then reverse course if by some miracle we get our guy. And I get it.

On 12/26/2022 at 10:41 AM, The Crusher said:

Average QB is only enough if defense, special teams and coaching is elite. Always an injury away from disaster. Elite QB’s can gobble up the short comings of a teams weakness or two. 

I will take it. Basically, we’d be the Vikings during the Cousins era.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Devante Adams will be pissed since they’re best buds and he left Rodgers for this guy. Maybe LV will do a “Twofer” Carr & Adams for Zach & Moore plus a 2nd. ?

There’s probably a decent chance if they cut Carr it’s because Brady is coming. If not, I think they hang on to Carr.

• Upvote 1