Is JD's Current Approach A Viable Way To Win A Super Bowl In The Salary Cap Era?

I realize that every team in the NFL is looking for the next Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Trevor/Herbert.  But since we don't have that, is it realistic that we can win a title by trying to draft multiple young stars (e.g. QW, Sauce, GW, Breece, AVT) all over the field?  (I realize we probably don't have any other choice, btw.)

The concern is that these guys are going to need a 2nd contract before we know it (maybe another 1-2 years?), at which time we'll start having to make sacrifices at other positions (assuming we can even afford to keep these guys).  If we don't have a FQB then how exactly are we going to overcome all these star QBs in our conference on the way to the Super Bowl?

Keep in mind that if we bring in a QB like Carr, that's probably going to cost $40M+.

I think you mean current situation.  His approach was to invest the #2 pick on a QB and develop him. He could still trade up for a QB if he wants one. Allen was taken at 7 when all the draft experts said he had accuracy issues and Mahomes was taken at 10. The jets are picking 15 right now. 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I think you mean current situation.  His approach was to invest the #2 pick on a QB and develop him. He could still trade up for a QB if he wants one. Allen was taken at 7 when all the draft experts said he had accuracy issues and Mahomes was taken at 10. The jets are picking 15 right now. 

Good point!  That is what I meant.  (I struggled with wording that post, btw).

JD did try to find a FQB with #2 overall.  

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I realize that every team in the NFL is looking for the next Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Trevor/Herbert.  But since we don't have that, is it realistic that we can win a title by trying to draft multiple young stars (e.g. QW, Sauce, GW, Breece, AVT) all over the field?  (I realize we probably don't have any other choice, btw.)

The concern is that these guys are going to need a 2nd contract before we know it (maybe another 1-2 years?), at which time we'll start having to make sacrifices at other positions (assuming we can even afford to keep these guys).  If we don't have a FQB then how exactly are we going to overcome all these star QBs in our conference on the way to the Super Bowl?

Keep in mind that if we bring in a QB like Carr, that's probably going to cost $40M+.

You are right that it could be done for the immediate future with just a decent QB and continuing to get players like you mentioned at all other positions. The $ to pay most of them will come from not paying 30-40M a year for a QB, cutting Mosley, and probably other vets that are not worth what they are getting paid.

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

Ideally Zach would have been stepping up big time this year. Unfortunately this didn’t happen. It makes things much trickier now. The eagles moved on from Wentz and seem to be doing alright 

Bad GMs hang onto bad draft picks for too long. Good ones move on quickly.

I'm encouraged by this.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we don't have a FQB then how exactly are we going to overcome all these star QBs in our conference on the way to the Super Bowl?

It's not impossible without the FQB, but it becomes extremely difficult.

You're basically hoping to become another Tennesse Titans, a team that had a great head coach (Vrabel COTY), a good D, great running game (Henry OPOY) and a experienced game a manager at QB (Tannehill CPOY). 

The Titans had all of that, and the luxury of playing in the AFC South and they still couldn't get it done. They had no margin for error. We have an inferior coach, inferior running game and an inferior QB set up.