Jets plan to ‘do everything we can to develop’ Zach Wilson despite demotion

Bronx

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I want to know what qbs have made it out of the dark tunnel and the dungeon.  

I think Steve Young and Terry Bradshaw might be the most prominent.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounSt00.htm

image.thumb.png.a338b18f5b34698cb5103b02c723a2ce.png

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTe00.htm

image.thumb.png.837c6b363a65e64fc18f43ade73ad287.png

• Upvote 2

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm zach, I'm calling Chad Pennington and begging him to mentor me. Zachs weaknesses are everything Chad was great at. Accuracy, reading defenses, anticipation, varying velocity and trajectory, attention to detail in play action fakes, etc.

Guys like Lafleur, Calabrese, beck and whomever he has around him now are clearly not working out.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

If the Jets decide that Mike White cannot be QB1 for the team next year, the Jets will have to sign QB1, and there will not be enough money for White.  So maybe Wilson is QB2/3.  That would not be great, but I don't know what the choice is.  I would rather roll with that than take the cap hit for getting rid of Wilson and not having the money for other players.  

I think it’s best to rid the team of the cancer. No one likes Zach. Take the cap hit and move on.  He hasn’t earned his roster spot. 

we will have plenty of money after we cut lawson and Cory Davis. Cutting these 2 gives you an extra 28 million to spend alone. And I can think of a few others that could be shown the door.

7 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I think it’s best to rid the team of the cancer. No one likes Zach. Take the cap hit and move on.  He hasn’t earned his roster spot. 

we will have plenty of money after we cut lawson and Cory Davis. Cutting these 2 gives you an extra 28 million to spend alone. And I can think of a few others that could be shown the door.

If he ever plays winning football ... The love will flow.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 2

If the Jets want to be competitive they cannot trade him and take the cap hit.  So they basically have to pay his salary in 2023 to avoid the cap hit.  The Jets could move Darnold (a year later) because they were only paying Wilson and not a veteran QB.

I believe that the Zach Wilson raw material was grossly overestimated, but I also believe that Zach Wilson was grossly underdeveloped/coached.  Some of that is on Wilson, because I believe players need to hire their own offseason coaches under the new rules. 

I agree with Saleh that the Jets should continue to try and develop him, but he is not a fit with this team and fan base. Never was.  Tragically bad draft pick on all levels.  But he is somewhat of an asset that should be salvaged and not tossed.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Bronx said:
“The plan for Zach hasn’t changed,” Saleh said. “I still think he has a future here. I still think he’s going to be a really good quarterback. He needs time to just kind of sit back and continue the development that we were trying to re-kick-start, if you will, after the New England game. We still have him in our future and in our plans.”

1. If true, this is a fireable offense in my book.

2. If Coach speak to help a trade, fine.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They can go back an do what they should have done from day one.  That being having a competent QB as the starter and him sitting and watching for a full year at least.  If White shows well these two games he is the starter going into next year and Wilson sits and actually learns a lot about how to be an NFL QB.  If White is really good Wilson never gets the job back but due to his very low trade value right now a smart gm is not going to just turf the guy as much as most people want to see him gone.

This would be smart. People would argue that sitting him the whole year next year would be a waste since it would be his 3rd year in NFL. But look at many previous QB's: Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc etc etc - many sat a full year or more.  Zach needs to sit out next year. Not even play. Inactivate him the entire year and get a good vet QB to back up Mike White.  

• Upvote 1

This is one of those rare times when I’m posting in a thread I haven’t bothered to read a single post in. There’s no need.

Zach Wilson, two years in is as bad a QB as I have seen in the NFL.

But yeah, after all that time all they need is a ???? “reset” and the Jets are going to magically turn him into a FQB.

30 Rock Eye Roll GIF

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Financially they really can’t move him or cut him.

If they are done with him and and don’t want a distraction both are on the table - but someone will trade for him.

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It is going to be up to Zach and his handlers.  I believe the Jets would like to keep him and develop him over the offseason and next year.

But his handlers might say he wants out and in that case, maybe they can get a 4th or 5th for him.

If you were Zach’s handlers you’d tell JD your guy plays nice this season but it’s going nuclear next season.  The writing is on the wall - the decision has been made.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

No reason to cut him unless the starter fears him.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

On another team maybe.  This circus is unlike any other and the fans drive the bus here.

JD and RS are in self preservation mode.

If they are more worried about calls to “give Zach another chance” after a bad start or 2, Zach’s gone.

If they are more worried about Zach moving on and doing well they might want to stash him, but Zach’s team will try to force a trade and cause all sorts of heat.  

Zach’s never complained - I’m guessing he could leak confidence eroding info to speed this up.  I may be off base here but if @T0mShane agrees this is how it goes down this is over. 

JD better have an amazing option at QB in his pocket and the Jets better make the playoffs next season, or he’s done anyway. 

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

The Jets owe Zach nothing. Get the offseason reset started and bring him back as QB3 to start training camp.

Maybe he makes strides, maybe he doesn't. I just don't see a reason to just release him or trading him for a bag of balls. 

Expect everyone to act in their self interest and you can game this out well.

I don’t think Wilson plays a good soldier if they don’t move him.  

JD would rather get some picks or capital now since he needs to make the playoffs next season.  Capital not invested is a waste for him.  

RS is in the same boat as JD needing the playoffs and he has no trust in Zach.  

The guy who likes to say stupid stuff to “make the other team game plan for 2 QBs” is trying to help the trade value.  Nothing more.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, SoJetsy said:

Saleh knows it’s a long shot that Zach wins back the confidence of the team, they will release him after training camp next year. 

Can't cut him that soon. Still is the issue of those scooters for the offensive lineman. Do they keep him if he gets cut?

• Haha 1

Smh

They’ll pre-commit an entire franchise to piece of trash ZW before he accomplishes jack sh-t, but it’s “one day at a time” for 3rd class citizen MW who, in Saleh’s eyes, should be grateful to 1JD for every scrap he gets.

If they move on from MW favor of ZW, Saleh and ZW deserve each other

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Smh

They’ll pre-commit an entire franchise to piece of trash ZW before he accomplishes jack sh-t, but it’s “one day at a time” for 3rd class citizen MW who, in Saleh’s eyes, should be grateful to 1JD for every scrap he gets.

If they move on from MW favor of ZW, Saleh and ZW deserve each other

Do you think they can bring back ZW? 

Unless they strike out in free agency and get desperate - I just can’t see it.   Someone will want to get overplayed and I see the Jets willing to write that check. 

JD and RS are on the clock.  Playoffs or bust next season.  They don’t have time for a rookie next season even if they want to develop one longer term.

Mike White and another good option at QB makes the playoffs look reasonable- if the OLine can stay healthy and the defense is good again.  

• Upvote 1

There's a sucker franchise out there just waiting for Joe Douglas to sell Zach Wilson to them, however, if push comes to shove, Joe Douglas may have to just trade a draft pick to get rid of Zach Wilson à la Brock Osweiler. The Jets have to remove Zach from this team. It's in the best interest of both parties. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They can go back an do what they should have done from day one.  That being having a competent QB as the starter and him sitting and watching for a full year at least.  If White shows well these two games he is the starter going into next year and Wilson sits and actually learns a lot about how to be an NFL QB.  If White is really good Wilson never gets the job back but due to his very low trade value right now a smart gm is not going to just turf the guy as much as most people want to see him gone.

You need 2 competent QBs in 2023. It’s playoffs or bust for JD/Saleh very likely. Why would they bet their career on BYU being one MW cracked rib away from going in the game?

They gotta move him, and give up draft capital to do so if necessary because they need to pay 2 QBs next year.

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Off the top of my head / not looking at any stats ... Vinny T was an OK example of a guy who played better later in his career.

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

This would be smart. People would argue that sitting him the whole year next year would be a waste since it would be his 3rd year in NFL. But look at many previous QB's: Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc etc etc - many sat a full year or more.  Zach needs to sit out next year.

Come in guys, it’s his job to say this. Plus, Zach is u set contract and worth continued development… I’ll say it again, the biggest mistake (aside from drafting him) was handing him the starting job from D1. 

Many QB prospects take more than 2 years.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Do you think they can bring back ZW? 

Unless they strike out in free agency and get desperate - I just can’t see it.   Someone will want to get overplayed and I see the Jets willing to write that check. 

JD and RS are on the clock.  Playoffs or bust next season.  They don’t have time for a rookie next season even if they want to develop one longer term.

Mike White and another good option at QB makes the playoffs look reasonable- if the OLine can stay healthy and the defense is good again.  

Three things to note here:

1. Zach hasn’t just been an ineffective quarterback that needs coaching up—he’s been fundamentally terrible in a lot of red flag areas that suggest he’s never going to be good. Bottom line: he’s deeply impacted by pass rush pressure and he doesn’t see the field well at all. Tough combo to overcome. 

2. He has leadership/cultural issues dating back to BYU. His best friend on that team stole his girlfriend. The coaches made him a captain. This is a consistent drumbeat with him. 

3. Those who want to “develop” him are asking the Jets and LaFleur to spend another year running two different offenses—one for Zach (which everyone on the roster bristles at) and one for whoever the backup is (which the players like). 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

47 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Come in guys, it’s his job to say this. Plus, Zach is u set contract and worth continued development… I’ll say it again, the biggest mistake (aside from drafting him) was handing him the starting job from D1. 

Many QB prospects take more than 2 years.

He was handed the job just like candies on Halloween. 

If salah is being honest. The only thing I can imagine him saying to Zach is “ if you work really hard on basic fundamentals you should have learned in high school in the off-season , MAYBE there is slight by miracle chance you can be the QB-4 next yr. And who knows, one day a team may even let you be qb-3 someday” 

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Three things to note here:

1. Zach hasn’t just been an ineffective quarterback that needs coaching up—he’s been fundamentally terrible in a lot of red flag areas that suggest he’s never going to be good. Bottom line: he’s deeply impacted by pass rush pressure and he doesn’t see the field well at all. Tough combo to overcome. 

2. He has leadership/cultural issues dating back to BYU. His best friend on that team stole his girlfriend. The coaches made him a captain. This is a consistent drumbeat with him. 

1) Some people think the clean pocket numbers- which were good - are a better reflection of what young QBs will become.  

2) MLF and staff have not been spending time coaching fundamentals.  They are “too busy”.  

Mike McDaniel has killed Tua with concussions and probably ruined him.  But before that Tua was looking like a world beater.  Someone asked what was different and McDaniel said they have relentlessly been drilling on fundamentals.  Also that they have believed in him.  

Buckle up - we know at least someone sucks in the offensive equation for sure.  Lots of ways to break it down.  Could be everyone sucks.  Or just Zach sucks.  

There is also a real chance Zach can be good and the coaches are terrible. 

• Post of the Week 1